University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now I'm confused.... http://vetmed.illinois.edu/educatio...ree/illinois-veterinary-curriculum/electives/

So we do not necessarily have to enroll in those courses? And we can pick and choose the courses as opposed to it being a true "track?"

Side question: Is anyone else leaning towards The Village? I know we discussed concerns with the place a while back, but the bedrooms seem a lot larger than the ones at The Place, and I have to find room for a large rabbit cage. Their 4bed/4.5bath starts at $399, with all utilities except electric.

Yeah, I'm considering this place for 4bed/4.5bath. But I'm still looking at renting a room in a house with a fenced yard.. Probably won't really start looking until after graduation, though.

I'm also concerned about the electives.. I think you can pick and choose your own combination of electives (i.e. you don't have to pick all the zoo med or all the small animal electives in one track). Anyone know if any zoo/wildlife electives are available 1st year/semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you can pick and choose any electives you want, with the exception of the Food Animal Elective series and certain 3rd year electives that are assigned by a lottery system. I know "Zoo Med: What's Your Diagnosis" is offered first semester (And yes, I'm taking it as a 3rd year, because I need an easy elective), and Comparative Zoo Anatomy is offered as well. There are really no "prerequisite" electives to keep you from your preferred electives (except FA). Also, I believe if you are in the Wildlife Medical Clinic (club), you have rounds Tuesdays during lunch and I *think* that counts as an elective? I'm not a wildlife guy, so I can't speak to that. Don't stress, ASA will tell you what you need to register for and what your elective choices are.

Yeah, I'm considering this place for 4bed/4.5bath. But I'm still looking at renting a room in a house with a fenced yard.. Probably won't really start looking until after graduation, though.

I'm also concerned about the electives.. I think you can pick and choose your own combination of electives (i.e. you don't have to pick all the zoo med or all the small animal electives in one track). Anyone know if any zoo/wildlife electives are available 1st year/semester?
I really like that layout, especially since there's a chance I could land a room that would really work for my rabbit (according to the floor plan pictures). Let me know if you pursue this place any further!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you looking at computers, I am considering the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 (13-7348) Tablet PC but I am still perusing the internet

@jmstroup - I am putting an offer in at the house right now that has a (IMO) large fenced in back yard. It would *probably* be about $400 a month if there are 3 people living there plus TBD pet fee.

I really like that layout, especially since there's a chance I could land a room that would really work for my rabbit (according to the floor plan pictures). Let me know if you pursue this place any further!

I signed a lease with The Village for one of the 4 bed/4.5 bath apartments. I used the roommate matching service and requested other vet students as roommates if possible! I had some concerns about the complex from reviews I read, but the price couldn't be beat and the rooms seem really large! Plus I am really excited to have my own bathroom and a walk-in closet, which I have never had. I figured it was worth the risk for the possible benefits, and if I have any issues, I just won't resign for another year. But from what people told me during the interview day, tons of vet students live there, so I'm hoping for the best!

Reactions: 1 users
@CEO_Vet , since you talked to them, did you ask about the pet policy? For example, I would have 2 dogs I would bring.... I know they have a 2 pet limit...is that per bedroom or per unit? I mean, I would imagine an apartment with four bedrooms and everyone having 2 pets being crazy..... if that is the case, how do they decide who can have pets?

@CEO_Vet , since you talked to them, did you ask about the pet policy? For example, I would have 2 dogs I would bring.... I know they have a 2 pet limit...is that per bedroom or per unit? I mean, I would imagine an apartment with four bedrooms and everyone having 2 pets being crazy..... if that is the case, how do they decide who can have pets?
You have to work with your roommates to determine that!

I GOT IN!!!! Super excited for the fall. I'm also looking into housing now. I have a small 9 lb dog I'm bringing with me. He loves people and gets along well with other dogs and cats. Let me know if anyone wants to be potential roommates! Also if we're going around adding people on Facebook I'm all for that!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm happy to hear that people are interested in The Village! I signed a one-bedroom lease already, but I'm super excited to have friends nearby! :)

Side note, don't be freaked out by bad yelp reviews - they are a few years old for one thing, and people only write reviews when they have something bad to say. The Village has a facebook page and there are tons of recent, positive reviews.

Wildlife does have rounds on Tuesdays, but unless you specifically sign up for the wildlife medicine elective, you don't get credit for going to rounds and you're not allowed to sign up for that until at least last quarter of first year. I'm taking it next year myself, but I was still required to go to rounds every Tuesday to stay in WMC. You can miss 2 in each semester, and there are make-up rounds on Thursday nights. And yes, sorry I was trying to explain what bcr0214 said. If you're interested in say equine, you can take all the equine electives you want, but you're not limited to that. You can take small animal electives too or exotics if you feel like it. Up until 3rd year and surgery electives come into play, you can take whatever peaks your fancy. It's pretty cool.

Last summer, I did a similar program as Illinois' WMC through UGA with their Wildlife Treatment Crew. Basically, a pre-vet student was paired with a vet student and we did everything to care for our own patients (while being overlooked by the vet student on the case, who mainly did exotic client-owned patients). I'm really interested in getting involved with WMC this fall as soon as possible. Is there an application or anyone I should contact soon? Or will I learn more about it at the beginning of the fall semester?

Last summer, I did a similar program as Illinois' WMC through UGA with their Wildlife Treatment Crew. Basically, a pre-vet student was paired with a vet student and we did everything to care for our own patients (while being overlooked by the vet student on the case, who mainly did exotic client-owned patients). I'm really interested in getting involved with WMC this fall as soon as possible. Is there an application or anyone I should contact soon? Or will I learn more about it at the beginning of the fall semester?
There will be team sign-ups in the first couple weeks of school. The commitment as of right now (I don't think it can change but it might) is 2 treatments per week, 1 orphan shift when it's your team's turn, and 2 pager shifts (2 hours each) also when it's your team's turn. In total, you are required for 2-7 hours per week worth of time to the WMC. If you suck at time management, you're going to have a hard time. If you don't, then it's really easy to get all your responsibilities done and have time to study.

Just found out that The Village doesn't allow caged animals....so The Place is looking more and more appealing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about the "Gramercy Park Apartments"? They say "all pets welcome" which is why it caught my eye - I have many pets - It looks good and cheap, any comment from an upper class student maybe?

The other option I am looking into is buying a trailer. :thinking: But most still seem to have a "no pitbull" rule in the park. :(

Last edited:
I signed a lease with The Village for one of the 4 bed/4.5 bath apartments. I used the roommate matching service and requested other vet students as roommates if possible! I had some concerns about the complex from reviews I read, but the price couldn't be beat and the rooms seem really large! Plus I am really excited to have my own bathroom and a walk-in closet, which I have never had. I figured it was worth the risk for the possible benefits, and if I have any issues, I just won't resign for another year. But from what people told me during the interview day, tons of vet students live there, so I'm hoping for the best!

Just got called off the wait list (eeeeeeee!!!!) and am looking at this place too if ya wanna chat and see if I should try and get in that unit!

Reactions: 5 users
So I'm in off the waitlist!!! OOS and received a phone call. So excited:love::soexcited::rofl:

Reactions: 6 users
I'm so happy for all of you who are,getting called off the waitlist!!! Yay!!! When I get to a computer I'll add you to our fb pm :)

And to whoever mentioned grammercy park, they're on my list too, and I too would be interested I'm hearing more about them!!

Are any IS ppl getting called off the waitlist? How do we know when the spots are all filled?

Are any IS ppl getting called off the waitlist? How do we know when the spots are all filled?

In my opinion, the threads don't seem to be as active as they have been in previous cycles where you could always tell when there was movement. The only "real" way to find out is to call admissions and see what kind of information they are willing to give out. They won't tell you where you are at on the waitlist, but usually will tell you if the class is full or if and when they will make calls from the waitlist.

Anyone leaning towards a MacBook Pro for a computer for class? I like macs for their anti-virus abilities.

Anyone leaning towards a MacBook Pro for a computer for class? I like macs for their anti-virus abilities.

Same here. My much-loved Sony Vaio died last month. I have never used Mac but I am thinking about it. My roommate has one and she said it has been working fine for 6 years now.

Last edited:

I'm leaning that way too, they're pricier than their PC counterparts, and lack a touchscreen, but I think I like the UI better, and their overall feel better. My other front runner was the Lenovo Yoga 3, but I use a lenovo think pad at work and I don't like the touchpad/keyboard combo/set up :/

So, this long-time PCer will most likely be making the switch..... (I do have a desk top PC I'll be bringing with me too.... The Sims 4 isn't playable on Macs, afterall)

It's two pets per apartment, so you have to work with your roommates. They have a roommate matching profile where people can check whether or not they are ok with living with other people's pets. And the pet fee is $250 in case you were wondering (I'm not sure how much more it would be for the second pet, though, since I'm only bringing one dog.) There is also a pet rent of $25 per month.

Just got called off the wait list (eeeeeeee!!!!) and am looking at this place too if ya wanna chat and see if I should try and get in that unit!

Congrats on getting in! I believe I've already been matched with roommates since I have a dog and they had to find a room for me where everyone in the apartment was ok with living with pets. But feel free to message me if you have any questions! It would be great to be neighbors!

Everything I have seen so far as far as registration, orientation and all that hasn't been updated and still says the class of 2018. Someone mentioned scheduling changes this year and so are we not supposed to register for classes then? Does anyone know? I'm so confused! Also has anyone seen an award letter yet? I see the breakdown of costs but that's all I can see so far. I'm thinking it's still early in the cycle and we won't know what loans to apply for until they tell us? If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it :)

Confused about the registration as well! :(

Everything I have seen so far as far as registration, orientation and all that hasn't been updated and still says the class of 2018. Someone mentioned scheduling changes this year and so are we not supposed to register for classes then? Does anyone know? I'm so confused! Also has anyone seen an award letter yet? I see the breakdown of costs but that's all I can see so far. I'm thinking it's still early in the cycle and we won't know what loans to apply for until they tell us? If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it :)
I have my award letter. It's on the enterprise self-service thing! Also, registration...no clue. I'm on the course selection page now, but have no option to select the VM courses.

I saw that one or two a year was the usual. In that model they are only signed up for one as the first column is the first year. I don't think there is any rush to register though

Wow, how many electives do we sign up for? Looks like on this "model"/example schedule the person is signed up for about eight or nine? http://vetmed.illinois.edu/educatio...dicine-degree/illinois-veterinary-curriculum/
You have to have 8 electives by the time you enter 4th year so there's no rush to take any the first quarter. As far as registration everyone, don't freak out about it right now. You probably won't be able to sign up for anything until next month and it's seriously not that hard to do. You'll also get your award letter probably mid June/early July. You have plenty of time to get that settled. You do have a few things due by the end of June so keep up on your new student page. It'll give you all the info you need on what's due when.

Last year 1st yearss were only able to choose between 2 electives in the fall. Zoo med: what is your diagnosis? And the public health elective. Zoo med is fun and easy and most people take it. Only 10 people can take public health so you have to signupfor a lottery. They will send out info for it so don't worry. I took both electives.

Back on the topic of expenses, does anyone know what exactly they expect us to count under "other expenses"? Is that supposed to be like an emergency fund, or is that where things such as parking expenses are supposed to come from?

Does anyone know anything about any of these places? I think I may come up this weekend to check them out and put down a deposit. I'm trying to narrow down my list a bit...

Gramercy Park (White Street)
Stone Ridge Square (Colorado Ave)
Parkside Apartments (Florida Ave)
Town and Country Apartments (Kerr Ave)
Champaign House Apartments (Valley rd)

And two apartments in houses on Church st (@ lynn and prospect)

they are all pet friendly, within my budget, and the farthest is 13 minutes from campus... so..... I don't know how to narrow it down more than this, and I'm not sure I can see them all in the one day I'll be up there.

Thanks guys!

Does anyone know anything about any of these places? I think I may come up this weekend to check them out and put down a deposit. I'm trying to narrow down my list a bit...

they are all pet friendly, within my budget, and the farthest is 13 minutes from campus... so..... I don't know how to narrow it down more than this, and I'm not sure I can see them all in the one day I'll be up there.

Thanks guys!

That's a pretty good list! I could only find three apartments/houses that allow pitbulls, haha. Gramercy Park is one of them so definitely want to hear about them as well! Although, I did read some bad reviews about them :/

Thanks guys!
I just creeped on your list and I would have never found those places. It's the fully furnished option for The Place that I like....ugh I cannot make decisions.

As far as bad reviews go, I don't put too much weight in them. As someone above said, people only write reviews when they're mad....

I'll let you guys know what they're like (I would love to have vet friends live close!!)

also, padmapper is the best thing ever. They have their own listings plus they pull stuff from craigslist. That's where I found my list!!

So I found a seemingly nice apartment that fits the things I want. Then I went online and read that it's in a "rowdy student area" - I wanna make sure that I understand what they mean by that and that it won't be that bad there. Basically it's on the north side of the school on W Hill St and it's 10 min away from vet school by car. Any current students - is this a bad area to live in? I don't mind the noise much if that's the problem. I didn't live in a college town before so trying to understand :) it seemed nice from google maps :shrug:

If we get the apartment, I might need a roommate too! ;)

Last edited:
Yeah that list made me question everything I thought I knew! Thank you for it though haha. Deciding where to live is seriously so difficult.

Since you all are considering housing, here's a little wisdom:

I would highly advise you to steer clear of anything rented out by CPM(Campus Property Management). They cater more to the undergraduate crowd and their units tend to be less-nice/not so well maintained. It truly is a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing with them. If you're looking for very cheap and not concerned with the physical features of the place you're going to live, then that's a different story entirely.

I lived at Parkside first year. They are fine and are reasonably priced 2 bedroom apartments. I moved to Stone Ridge this year because you get a lot more for your money and things are more updated (central air and heat is wonderful!).

hey- I just spoke to the student affairs office and they had no information to give me. they said they had pulled "some" off the IS list but wouldn't tell me anything about when people could expect to hear one way or another or how many they expect to accept off that list. if you happen to hear anything more informative let me know!

I'm so happy for all of you who are,getting called off the waitlist!!! Yay!!! When I get to a computer I'll add you to our fb pm :)

And to whoever mentioned grammercy park, they're on my list too, and I too would be interested I'm hearing more about them!!
I would like to be added to the group PM as well! :)

I live at Kobuck and enjoy it. There are currently 3 other students living there now as well. Just to give you all more options.