University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I found a seemingly nice apartment that fits the things I want. Then I went online and read that it's in a "rowdy student area" - I wanna make sure that I understand what they mean by that and that it won't be that bad there. Basically it's on the north side of the school on W Hill St and it's 10 min away from vet school by car. Any current students - is this a bad area to live in? I don't mind the noise much if that's the problem. I didn't live in a college town before so trying to understand :) it seemed nice from google maps :shrug:

If we get the apartment, I might need a roommate too! ;)

I'm not sure where Hill St. is...but I went here for undergrad and I would recommend staying away from any apartments that are within these four streets: Neil st, University Ave, Lincoln Ave., and Kirby. Inside that area is where mostly undergraduates live and it can get pretty noisy, especially on weekends. You tend to pay more for apartments in that area as well because it is "on- campus". This is just my opinion, I know some graduate students that do live on campus. It just depends what you are looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure where Hill St. is...but I went here for undergrad and I would recommend staying away from any apartments that are within these four streets: Neil st, University Ave, Lincoln Ave., and Kirby. Inside that area is where mostly undergraduates live and it can get pretty noisy, especially on weekends. You tend to pay more for apartments in that area as well because it is "on- campus". This is just my opinion, I know some graduate students that do live on campus. It just depends what you are looking for.

Thanks so much! That's very helpful. Phew, it's not within those, though it is close.

Has anyone else tried to use their NetID and password to log in to any of the pages on the vetmed intranet page? (http://vetmed.illinois.edu/intranet/) I tried logging into some of the pages, like parking, student clubs, and the pet food program, and I wasn't able to access any of them. I'm wondering if they just haven't validated our class's NetIDs yet, or if I should contact them about mine not working...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else tried to use their NetID and password to log in to any of the pages on the vetmed intranet page? (http://vetmed.illinois.edu/intranet/) I tried logging into some of the pages, like parking, student clubs, and the pet food program, and I wasn't able to access any of them. I'm wondering if they just haven't validated our class's NetIDs yet, or if I should contact them about mine not working...
So far mine haven't worked either.

Hey guys!

I know there has been a touch of talk on the matter, but if anyone is looking for a roomate, let me know! I have submitted an application and will be signing a lease at Stone Ridge Square apartments. They're pet friendly (up to 35lbs). I have rented a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, and while I can afford it by myself, it is at the highest point of my budget and I would love to have a roomate. I will have three havanese (15ish lbs each) with me. They get along well with all other animals (they even get along with my chickens, who will not be joining me at vet school lol), are quiet, well behaved, etc.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know!!

Has anyone else on the waitlist noticed their portal status changed to "Alternate Status Declined 4/21/15"? I sent in my letter accepting my spot on the waitlist, and my portal updated back in March reflecting that they received it, so I wonder if this means the class is now full. I wasn't holding my breath hoping to get off the waitlist, but I'm still curious.

Has anyone else on the waitlist noticed their portal status changed to "Alternate Status Declined 4/21/15"? I sent in my letter accepting my spot on the waitlist, and my portal updated back in March reflecting that they received it, so I wonder if this means the class is now full. I wasn't holding my breath hoping to get off the waitlist, but I'm still curious.
Mine still says alternate status accepted...if you're really curious about it I would contact them and see what that's about

Mine still says alternate status accepted...if you're really curious about it I would contact them and see what that's about
Hmm, weird. I'll shoot them an email. Are you IS or OOS? I'm OOS.

Hey everyone! So I just purchased a 3 bedroom house in urbana with a large fenced in backyard and I will be looking for two roommates. Pet friendly with no size, weight, or breed restriction. Only $25 per month for animals. Rent is $500 plus utilities, message me if you are interested in hearing more =)

I just declined my seat. Hopefully one of you get it! Good luck.

Did anyone who got off the waitlist got their financial aid award letter yet?

I haven't received it yet, I'm worried. :scared: Then again I am actually constantly worried that something will go wrong and they will take back my acceptance. :yeahright:

I haven't even gotten mine and I was accepted immediately. Don't worry :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. I got in off the wait list on like April 20th or so and have been looking around online for apartments. I'm looking to live with some people in one of the on/near campus apartments and I really need some help. I don't personally know anybody who is entering the class. Do any of you that have leased an apartment have more than one bedroom and are looking for room mates?

Does anyone know when we are supposed to get our info packets?

Hello all. I got in off the wait list on like April 20th or so and have been looking around online for apartments. I'm looking to live with some people in one of the on/near campus apartments and I really need some help. I don't personally know anybody who is entering the class. Do any of you that have leased an apartment have more than one bedroom and are looking for room mates?

What is your rent budget? I am looking for roommates in my house and the rent per person is $500. Feel free to private message me if you would like more information and pictures of the house.

I have talked to a friend of mine who is a vet student there and he said that many students live in apartments in the town of Savoy. The two complexes he mentioned were the place and the village. I have been looking into these places and they both look really nice and they are only ~10 minutes away from the vet school. Would anyone be interested in being roommates?

My final for Virology is on a paper about Middle East Respiratory Syndrome... Good thing I saved my essay from the Illinois supplemental application!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone -

I know most people have a place by now but if anyone is still looking for a room, I will have a room available in my apartment. W/D in the building, $380 a month + 1/3 of electricity. 12 mins to vet building by driving, 30 mins by bus (says google maps). It's in Champaign. It has a lawn & porch, the apartment is in a first floor in a two floor apartment. Seems quite big at 1200 square feet so we would have space. If interested, PM me and I'll give you the info& pics.

Wellllll I just got pulled off my in state waitlist!!! Unless something goes terribly wrong, I'll be giving up my seat at Illinois....

Do we have anyone else on here still on the waitlist?

Wellllll I just got pulled off my in state waitlist!!! Unless something goes terribly wrong, I'll be giving up my seat at Illinois....

Oh wow, congrats!! We'll miss u at Illinois but in-state is a great opportunity! :)

You will make the next person on the waitlist ecstatic.

Where are you headed?!

For upperclassmen, do the book list for first years change every year? Or can we start buying from the list posted for 2018ers?

And, what books from the recommended list do we really need?

For upperclassmen, do the book list for first years change every year? Or can we start buying from the list posted for 2018ers?

And, what books from the recommended list do we really need?
Our books didn't change, but I really don't know if new additions came out this year. You will absolutely need the dissection of the dog and large animal anatomy (Dyce). Dr. Coleman loves to use stuff from the large animal one. I personally didn't like it much, but some people found it really helpful. Everything else is suggested. I have the Costanza Physiology and I already have Wheater's Histology from a previous class. I found both of those useful. I personally would wait until it's closer to the beginning of the school year because my class will probably be selling a bunch of their books or you could borrow them from your Big Sib which is much cheaper than buying them online.

Thank you cloverbug! It'll make sense to wait then. I just don't want to leave all the expenses for August, but if the students will be selling them that would be great.

I am just so excited to start!! :D

Just signed for a 3x3 at The Place! Let me know if you wanna try to be roommates. I'll have a cat and a rabbit with me.

For any other waitlisters, I emailed the admissions office asking why my portal status changed to "alternate status declined" and they said "We currently have a full class and do not anticipate making very many more offers." Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Personally I didn't expect to get called off, so it's just good to know, and I can now move on and focus on the next application cycle.

For any other waitlisters, I emailed the admissions office asking why my portal status changed to "alternate status declined" and they said "We currently have a full class and do not anticipate making very many more offers." Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Personally I didn't expect to get called off, so it's just good to know, and I can now move on and focus on the next application cycle.
:(

I haven't. I still haven't received financial aid information or anything yet.

Hi! I'm an incoming first year as well, and am leasing a house in Urbana, about a 15 minute walk from the campus on a really nice residential street. I'll be living with a third year, but the other first year who was going to be with us switched schools, so we still have an opening if you're interested! I know you said you were thinking apartments, but I figured I'd put it out there for you or anyone else who might still be looking for housing :)

Does anyone have suggestions on banks that are commonly used by U of I students?

No; except I did register for Zoo Med: What's your Diagnosis? I actually registered for it in April... And I submitted my application for the Public Health elective, too. Did anyone else do this? Because I couldn't changed the birthday on it...

Reactions: 1 users
Declining my offer just got into a cheaper school:) I hope someone gets my spot!!

Can any current vet students comment on the need to get all or some of the recommended textbooks? I can get all 10 books for about $720, but I don't know if I would end up using them all anyway. Only 3 books are actually required.

Can any current vet students comment on the need to get all or some of the recommended textbooks? I can get all 10 books for about $720, but I don't know if I would end up using them all anyway. Only 3 books are actually required.

There's a post somewhere on this board from fairly recently about textbooks- if I remember right, that student suggested a couple that they felt were really important, but said to wait on the rest to potentially get them from your Big Sib (if you sign up for one) or to see if any second years are selling theirs a little cheaper. A few other schools I looked at also said that most of their textbooks are available in the library, but I can't remember if people from UIUC said the same?

Thanks! I think UIUC has the largest university library archives or something... so I guess they will probably have the books, too.

I thought Evans dissection guide was a must but I found Dyce very dense and low yield personally. I ended up getting Anatomy of Domestic Animals by Pasquini and learned SO MUCH MORE from that text than Dyce. However, there is a professor there that loves Dyce so you can't go wrong getting it I guess. Physiology book - Costanzo and a histology Atlas were the other books I bought and that was good for me. You will also get some digital things from your Big Sibs. BUT the books that I listed were the ones I found useful in hardcopy form and not digital.

You also don't need a brand new computer. I found one from a reputable seller with the specs needed for $200 (refurbished Lenovo) and it works great.

Anyone going to the IVLE on August 17th? It says its optional. Current students, how is it like?

Does any of the current students have any suggestions on picking a size for the lab coat ceremony? My measurements fall Bust 35, Waist 29, and Hip 35.

I was busy with graduating and haven't been on here, and now I'm suddenly overwhelmed seeing how much everyone is doing. I still haven't gotten anything in the mail. Is there anything I should be doing RIGHT NOW?? Lol

I was busy with graduating and haven't been on here, and now I'm suddenly overwhelmed seeing how much everyone is doing. I still haven't gotten anything in the mail. Is there anything I should be doing RIGHT NOW?? Lol
Well I don't even have a place to live yet.. haha! I don't think there is anything you really need to do right now. But if you go to the Admitted Students section on the website, there is a list of stuff you need to have done by June 26, so you could check that out :)

Was anyone able to register for classes?
I was able to register for the zoo elective, but not our core courses. Something about needed to register for the linked course too?