University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, there are student feeding plans available from Hills, Purina, and Royal Canin. You will get that information during orientation week I believe. They're all pretty similar as far as discounts go, with the one major difference being that RC and Purina ship directly to your door, whereas Hills orders have to be picked up at school.

Oh yay!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it actually any cheaper to get our stethoscope through the school representatives? Steeles is having a sale for the Cardiology III for $142 and I am trying to decide if it is worth waiting to see what the school offers.

Does anyone use Mac for the laptop requirement? I have a MacBook Air and I was wondering if that would suffice all the requirements or is there any compability issues?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone use Mac for the laptop requirement? I have a MacBook Air and I was wondering if that would suffice all the requirements or is there any compability issues?
Yes, I'd say about 30-35% of students use Macs; no compatibility issues to speak of.

I know someone asked this a week or so ago, but has anyone's check for the ISCAVMA order been cashed yet? It's been over a month and it's starting to make me anxious that mine still hasn't been cashed...

I know someone asked this a week or so ago, but has anyone's check for the ISCAVMA order been cashed yet? It's been over a month and it's starting to make me anxious that mine still hasn't been cashed...
Mine hasn't been cashed yet either

There are no requirements for scrubs regarding color/style. That being said, the administration does not like students wearing scrubs for other veterinary hospitals (VCA, BluePearl, Banfield, your local clinic, etc..) while in the teaching hospital, as they don't think we should be advertising other brands, but for anatomy lab etc. you can wear any scrubs you'd like. For clinical rotations, just plan on plain solid colors or basic print patterns; really all they care about is that they aren't branded with another clinic logo.
I know you said they just want to avoid brands, but I'm partial to leopard print anything. I usually keep it black and white, but do you think this would be too loud? Ladies, have you ventured into prints and louder patterns? I could always play it safe, but if I can have my leopard print...

I would imagine as long as it is in good taste it won't matter. Worst thing that could happen is you wear a loud pattern in the clinic and they just ask you not to wear it next time or bring something to change into

Reactions: 1 user
I know you said they just want to avoid brands, but I'm partial to leopard print anything. I usually keep it black and white, but do you think this would be too loud? Ladies, have you ventured into prints and louder patterns? I could always play it safe, but if I can have my leopard print...
U of I is fairly laxed and as long as it doesn't scare the patients or says another hospital, I don't think they care all that much.

I remember during interview day, I noticed quite a few students wearing patterned scrubs. Seems like they're fairly laid-back about it. I'm sure you could at least wear your leopard print in anatomy lab!

Anyone able to log on to the Intranet site yet? Also, I just saw something about a bar crawl with the big sib lil sib I never saw before. Anyone know about this at all?

Anyone able to log on to the Intranet site yet? Also, I just saw something about a bar crawl with the big sib lil sib I never saw before. Anyone know about this at all?
All I know about the event is it's on August 18th at 9 pm, unsure of location or anything else such as if we need to RSVP.

also I'm not able to log into the Intranet yet either

Members don't see this ad :)
All I know about the event is it's on August 18th at 9 pm, unsure of location or anything else such as if we need to RSVP.

also I'm not able to log into the Intranet yet either
Thanks! Where did you find that information at?
I'm guessing they'll get us set up on the Intranet during orientation.

The bar crawl kind of popped up out of no where...there was a chance to order t-shirts but you had to have signed up for one by Sunday. Certainly doesn't mean you couldn't attend without a shirt!

I emailed the school about Intranet access a few weeks ago....we should be getting it closer to the start of school

Thanks! Where did you find that information at?
I'm guessing they'll get us set up on the Intranet during orientation.

They said there will be more information released closer to the date. I'm guessing on the Facebook page. I'm going without the shirt.

Does anyone know what the best way is to get from The Village to school? I understand the trolley goes to campus but no where near the Vet Med building? I can't see to find anyone here that knows the best way to get there using the shuttle from the Village at Colbert Park?

Last edited:
Has anyone else had the amounts of their loan changed? I requested/was approved for one amount, but the school took a different (lower) when they certified the amount I applied for. I hadn't even formally accepted my loan yet either (private loans take a while to process) and it somehow got disbursed.

Does anyone know what the best way is to get from The Village to school? I understand the trolley goes to campus but no where near the Vet Med building? I can't see to find anyone here that knows the best way to get there.
I'm at The Place, so not too far from you. Get onto First street, turn right onto Windsor, then left onto Lincoln. I couldn't find any bus stops in a decent location near the school, though.

I'm at The Place, so not too far from you. Get onto First street, turn right onto Windsor, then left onto Lincoln. I couldn't find any bus stops in a decent location near the school, though.
Thanks PinkPuppy. I was wondering if there was a way to take the Village shuttle to campus and then go from there. I didn't buy a parking pass and didn't want to drive. I just don't know if there is a way for me to utilize the shuttle bus here. The regular bus shows over an hour to get there which makes no sense at all.

Has anyone else had the amounts of their loan changed? I requested/was approved for one amount, but the school took a different (lower) when they certified the amount I applied for. I hadn't even formally accepted my loan yet either (private loans take a while to process) and it somehow got disbursed.
I got an email from Fedloans that my loans may have been reduced. It stated something about the max amount I am eligible for since I utilized it in undergrad. I didn't borrow that much in undergrad AND I am paying cash here, so it made no sense to me. I never got noticed anything from the school though.

I got an email from Fedloans that my loans may have been reduced. It stated something about the max amount I am eligible for since I utilized it in undergrad. I didn't borrow that much in undergrad AND I am paying cash here, so it made no sense to me. I never got noticed anything from the school though.
The weird thing about my situation is that I hadn't even formally accepted my loan yet and it was dispersed anyways. The school allowed me $10k less than the $70k they estimate for OOS students, so the school itself did the reduction. No one told me anything about the dispersal, the reduction, or why. I wish financial aid was open today, ugh

The weird thing about my situation is that I hadn't even formally accepted my loan yet and it was dispersed anyways. The school allowed me $10k less than the $70k they estimate for OOS students, so the school itself did the reduction. No one told me anything about the dispersal, the reduction, or why. I wish financial aid was open today, ugh
I don't know about your specific situation, but they take about $500ish from the amount you approve as a "processing fee". It annoys me every time it happens because I always forget about it. It's weird that it accepted your loans for you. Maybe because you didn't accept or deny it so they just picked an amount for you because to go to the school you have to be paid for before the first day of class? Also, the $500 you put in as a deposit takes a couple months to get back to you, just fyi.

I don't know about your specific situation, but they take about $500ish from the amount you approve as a "processing fee". It annoys me every time it happens because I always forget about it. It's weird that it accepted your loans for you. Maybe because you didn't accept or deny it so they just picked an amount for you because to go to the school you have to be paid for before the first day of class? Also, the $500 you put in as a deposit takes a couple months to get back to you, just fyi.
I always thought our $500 deposit was applied to tuition? And you mean the school takes $500, or the loan provider?

Yeah I was a little irritated. This wouldn't have happened, but what if I had a sudden mind change and accepted my fed loans? I would have had double loans. I have no idea what's going on

I always thought our $500 deposit was applied to tuition? And you mean the school takes $500, or the loan provider?

Yeah I was a little irritated. This wouldn't have happened, but what if I had a sudden mind change and accepted my fed loans? I would have had double loans. I have no idea what's going on
There's a big difference between $500 and $10k! And to happen a week before school starts! They had all summer to figure this out. I'd be calling the minute they open tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Well, it takes way longer for them to process the deposit through everything so if you had accepted your loans, you would've wanted to accept the full tuition cost because the deposit won't even be added to your account until mid-September. The processing fee happens the moment your loans are posted to your account and it's a percentage, but I don't remember the exact amount. I think what happened was that since you hadn't actually denied them either, the school just assumed you meant to accept and accepted what they felt would be necessary for you. If you didn't want to use them at all, you really have to say deny. Like I said, you absolutely have to be paid in full before class even starts or they will drop you from the college so to avoid that, they made you accept loans. My best guess anyway.

Well, it takes way longer for them to process the deposit through everything so if you had accepted your loans, you would've wanted to accept the full tuition cost because the deposit won't even be added to your account until mid-September. The processing fee happens the moment your loans are posted to your account and it's a percentage, but I don't remember the exact amount. I think what happened was that since you hadn't actually denied them either, the school just assumed you meant to accept and accepted what they felt would be necessary for you. If you didn't want to use them at all, you really have to say deny. Like I said, you absolutely have to be paid in full before class even starts or they will drop you from the college so to avoid that, they made you accept loans. My best guess anyway.
Tuition is to be paid in full, in some manner by September 28th. They wanted you to answer your acceptance about the loans by sometime in August. Loan money gets dispersed around September 15th, so if you have extra, you will then see a refund on your student account and can then transfer that money out. Your initial deposit to hold your seat will be applied to your tuition this semester.

We don't get our financial aid refund until mid-September? I thought they tried to refund our financial aid around a week before classes started?

I denied the federal loans and waited 2.5 months for the school to certify my private loans. I thought tuition is due Sept. 28? This is seriously confusing. I called the finaid office 1-2x a week to get them to certify my loans and they finally did it Friday.

Discover is now saying my dispersal date is the 31st, even though the agent told me the money was dispersed on the 14th. And no one in the finaid office can tell me why Discover was told $60k, even though my loan account still reflects $70k. Either way, it's more than I need so some will be going back.

So when I go to my student account, the amount of tuition due is not reflecting the fact that I already have $500 down, correct?

We don't get our financial aid refund until mid-September? I thought they tried to refund our financial aid around a week before classes started?
It may be ready now. I can never remember. When I go to my student account it shows the one loan I have accepted so far paying for tuition. So if I had accepted the full amount of both of my loans, I would have extra sitting there that I could probably transfer out.

I denied the federal loans and waited 2.5 months for the school to certify my private loans. I thought tuition is due Sept. 28? This is seriously confusing. I called the finaid office 1-2x a week to get them to certify my loans and they finally did it Friday.

Discover is now saying my dispersal date is the 31st, even though the agent told me the money was dispersed on the 14th. And no one in the finaid office can tell me why Discover was told $60k, even though my loan account still reflects $70k. Either way, it's more than I need so some will be going back.

So when I go to my student account, the amount of tuition due is not reflecting the fact that I already have $500 down, correct?
I really don't know because I don't use private loans. If you denied them then I have no idea where that money is coming from if it's not your private loans. Maybe it's only the undergrads that have to pay in full? I just remember some of my coworkers talking about it and they're all undergrads. Hopefully they'll get in touch with you soon so you can get that settled. But yes, the $500 deposit won't be reflected yet. I called last year about it and it goes through a whole different process so it takes longer to make it to your account. And, you'll get your refund for your loans sometime this week. At least, last year they had it relatively soon after the loans were credited to the account so I'm working off of that.