University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LyraGardenia

Kansas State c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is applying this year? I applied last year and was waitlisted. They're the only OOS school that's given me any love, so I figure I'll give it another shot!

Interestingly enough, they've kind of done away with their supplemental app, and you just enter the supplemental essay and answer the other questions under "Program Materials" on VMCAS. You just need to create a profile on their website to pay the $60 fee. Maybe I'll start working on the essay earlier than 24 hours before it's due this time. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking about it. Not sure how I feel about that essay question... but the OOS percentage is better than other places on my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the essay prompt this year?
"Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDv) represents the introduction of a foreign animal disease into the United States in 2013. This virus infects only pigs, but the spread of this virus has caused devastating losses in the U.S. swine industry. Discuss the recent PEDv outbreak including its routes and vectors of transmission and its impact on the U.S. food supply. What is the role of a veterinarian in the face of an outbreak such as PEDv? What are the lessons learned from this outbreak that could be applied to lessening the impact a potential future foreign animal disease outbreak that would involve multiple animal species?"

It seems very similar to the question from last year, just about a different disease.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone visited the school? If so, what's it like?

Best of luck to you guys!!

@heyyimhayley , I would look more into how they select applicants, and if it benefits you and your application. My suggestion is to let that be the deciding factor on whether or not you apply, not their essay question.

I'm considering Illinois. Auburn is my IS but I don't want to apply to just one school. I like the essay question though. I have experience with the swine industry so it should be an easy essay for me.

I was there for my interview in February. It seemed nice, the vet school is kind of set aside from the main campus, and the academic building is maybe a two minute walk from the teaching hospital. Is there anything you want to know specifically? There are several current students active on here that might be better suited to answer your questions, but I can give it a shot.

"Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDv) represents the introduction of a foreign animal disease into the United States in 2013. This virus infects only pigs, but the spread of this virus has caused devastating losses in the U.S. swine industry. Discuss the recent PEDv outbreak including its routes and vectors of transmission and its impact on the U.S. food supply. What is the role of a veterinarian in the face of an outbreak such as PEDv? What are the lessons learned from this outbreak that could be applied to lessening the impact a potential future foreign animal disease outbreak that would involve multiple animal species?"

It seems very similar to the question from last year, just about a different disease.
Lol...this is a disease I'm more familiar with than MERS. PEDv is what kept all of us students out of the swine farm on my undergrad campus during my animal science class.
The school is kinda out in the middle of no where....farmland for about 2 hours prior to hitting the school coming from Michigan. The downtown area seems really nice, but the sketchy end of town comes up pretty quickly too. The school is on the south end of campus, sort of near the stadium. It seems to be a good balance between hustle/bustle and country.

Also, essay tip: I did a file review with the associate dean after my first try. He highly suggested making your essay a research paper-adhere to the character/length limit, but actually research it and cite data within your essay, then answer the parts about the roles of a vet.

I am seriously considering Illinois. Their applicant selection process seems like it would be a benefit for me because of my non-academic factors being strong. And I don't need to take Organic Chem II. lol. But I am waiting for other schools to e-mail me back before I make a final decision (though Illinois did e-mail back very quickly, so that bumps them up. :) ).

Reactions: 1 users
It's official. I am going to apply to Illinois this application round. :)

It's official. I am going to apply to Illinois this application round. :)
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

If I get an interview, we will meet. It will have to be a thing. My mom would love to meet, "My pre-vet friend from Michigan". lol.

Just finishing up my first draft of this essay prompt. How vital is it that we be right on the 10,000 character mark? I'm around 7500, but I've included all the information they ask for and I feel very good about it! Let me know what you think.

I'm not sure how 7500 characters translates to length. But, last year they suggested that the essay should be about a page or so. My suggestion would be to look at it in your word processor and check the length. If it's only a half-page you might want to elaborate, but if it's 3/4-1 page in length that should be fine.

Good luck, everyone!

Just finishing up my first draft of this essay prompt. How vital is it that we be right on the 10,000 character mark? I'm around 7500, but I've included all the information they ask for and I feel very good about it! Let me know what you think.

If you think adding to your essay will only increase the character count and wont increase the quality of essay then I wouldn't add to it. But you definitely have room to add quality if you have anything you could expand on.

It's pretty much a -take up as much space within the 10,000 character limit you need to in order to fully respond to the prompt- essay. I would rather have a short quality essay any day than an exact character amount essay with filler words/sentences in it.

Man this essay is a beast!!! I was thinking about applying here but really I'm not sure I have time to write a good research essay along with everything else I have to get done by the end of August.

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the page to pay the supplemental fee? I try putting in just the last 5 digits of my VMCAS number in the username box, and leave the password box blank, but it won't let me in. :mad:

I don't need to have a bibliography or anything for this essay right??

I don't need to have a bibliography or anything for this essay right??
Definitely cite your sources, but it doesn't necessarily have to be super formal with a works cited section or anything. Last year I just said things like "According to the CDC..." and I got an interview, so I guess it was fine. :shrug:

For the essay, I found 5 or so sources and cited them at the end of the paper. I feel using facts and studies in your paper without formally citing sources at our level of education is a huge no-no. It's for veterinary school. Put in your full effort.

Side question: what's the topic this year?

I'm bored this week (orientation) so if anyone would like a proofreader, I'm happy to help!

Edit: I've applied twice. I did a file review, and Dr. Foreman said the essay should be a mini research paper, if that helps!

For the essay, I found 5 or so sources and cited them at the end of the paper. I feel using facts and studies in your paper without formally citing sources at our level of education is a huge no-no. It's for veterinary school. Put in your full effort.

Side question: what's the topic this year?

I'm bored this week (orientation) so if anyone would like a proofreader, I'm happy to help!

Edit: I've applied twice. I did a file review, and Dr. Foreman said the essay should be a mini research paper, if that helps!
Have fun in orientation! It only gets crazier from there lol.

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the page to pay the supplemental fee? I try putting in just the last 5 digits of my VMCAS number in the username box, and leave the password box blank, but it won't let me in. :mad:
I always kept trying to log into the "sample" supplemental when I applied because it showed up first. Other than that, I don't know why it wouldn't be working for you.

Submitted last night! I can't believe it's finally happening.

I'm excited for you guys! Try not to stress too much between when you submit and when you hear. It'll be February before you know it!

Did you figure it out? Because I'm having trouble logging in as well!

Hey I am new to this. I have just been scanning through some threads and I see a couple of people have already applied to U of I once before. I was wondering if anyone can tell me when you find out of you got past round 1? Or do you know when they send out the first round of rejection letters if you do not get past round 1?

Rejection letters should went out around Decemberish last year, I think? The interview invites were around mid-January. I was never told I had passed phase I, I just received an interview invite in January, presumably after they had already completed my phase II review.

Also, don't count on the portal being updated in a timely manner. You basically find out you passed phase I if you don't get a letter when everyone else is.

Has anyone been able to successfully log in and pay the supplemental fee?? I still haven't gotten around to contacting them about it, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something dumb since only one other person has mentioned having issues. I've been clicking "2016 Online Application Processing Fee" on this page: https://vetmed.illinois.edu/admissions/ and then entering the last 5 digits of my CAS ID in the user name box and leaving the password box blank. I hit enter, but the login box just pops back up. :confused:

Have you tried it on a different browser? I had no problems, but then I again I did it about two months ago. I would definitely call them.

Have you tried it on a different browser? I had no problems, but then I again I did it about two months ago. I would definitely call them.
I had tried it in both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer to no avail, and I was planning on calling tomorrow, but I just figured it out on my own! I tried requesting my password just to see if maybe I had logged in months ago and forgotten about it, and turns out I had! I'd used the password I use for pretty much everything, but accidentally left a number out, so that's why it didn't work when I tried it. :laugh: I feel kinda dumb, but I'm glad that's taken care of!

Everyone be sure to post when you start to hear back from schools!!!! Good luck!!!! Getting so close now!

Will they send application updates to us? I know for Iowa State I can physically check my own application status, but it seems I can't do that here.

Will they send application updates to us? I know for Iowa State I can physically check my own application status, but it seems I can't do that here.
Illinois is very slow to update the portal! They also use snail mail. I got my physical letter of rejection prior to my portal update during my first cycle if I remember correctly.

Illinois is very slow to update the portal! They also use snail mail. I got my physical letter of rejection prior to my portal update during my first cycle if I remember correctly.

Do they send you a link to sign into their portal??

Do they send you a link to sign into their portal??
It sounds like things changed a lot this year, so I'm not sure how it is for you guys. When I applied, the portal was for app status and the supplemental. @batsenecal, what's it like this year?

The online portal says it will be up the first week of October, but it still isnt. AHHHH

It sounds like things changed a lot this year, so I'm not sure how it is for you guys. When I applied, the portal was for app status and the supplemental. @batsenecal, what's it like this year?

It's been so long since I looked at the page that I'll have to go look at it again after my lunch hour when I'm back at my desk. lol.

Hey guys! So where can we find the portal for U of I once it's up? I like how Iowas has everything out in the open for us to see!

The portal isn't up quite yet! They said sometime this week, so hopefully within the next few days!

Still nothing! Oh how they tease us with these false promises!

Reactions: 2 users
Still nothing! Oh how they tease us with these false promises!
Even after being admitted, whenever they tell you someone will be available by a certain date, it definitely won't be lol

Yeah the school is disorganized in general tbh. There are a lot of things they could do to improve, but I think they've also had some staff turnover lately so that could be why things are delayed

Yeah the school is disorganized in general tbh. There are a lot of things they could do to improve, but I think they've also had some staff turnover lately so that could be why things are delayed
Seriously though, when is it going to be up?! Do they know how crazy we are all going? I'm so anxious I can't stand it.