University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten their financial aid award letter? I submitted my FAFSA, but I didn't receive anything yet..
Nope, not yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Grad and professional students are last at UofI for determining aid. They didn't start undergrad until the end of March

Is anyone having problems setting up their NET ID? I got into the Grad College link by providing my email and I can see the application letter that gives me my UIN and Activation Code. When I go to the link to setup my NET ID though, it just says I don't have permission to do that. Dafuq?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having problems setting up their NET ID? I got into the Grad College link by providing my email and I can see the application letter that gives me my UIN and Activation Code. When I go to the link to setup my NET ID though, it just says I don't have permission to do that. Dafuq?

I was able to set mine up today.. are you setting up from here? https://netidclaim.illinois.edu/

Ugh I'm confused!
So I get two emails. One a computer generated one and the other from someone at the university. Neither had info about financial aid.
I should have checked here first but I responded to the person and told them I didn't receive anything about financial aid. That I did receive an email saying in order to log in I needed my university ID but I didn't know where to find it.
Well, I slept since then. I re read the computer generated University email. I logged in, found the university ID and activation code...click on your profile once you get in there :)..
Still I don't see anything with numbers. I'd like to know officially how much money it will cost to go there and it would be nice to know if I would get a scholarship first year (renewable or not).
I guess I have to call them, huh?

I think this school has some great things going for it, but I am already very frustrated. It seems the only information I get is from this forum. It makes me think that I will have to teach myself while I'm there.

Any school that you go to will have issues or glitches that will cause you frustrations. They do the best they can setting up all the new students while still helping the 4 years worth of current students at the same time. New students have worked so hard and long to get to this point that they want all of their information sent to them as soon as possible but you have to remember that there are still 4 months until anything is actually needed. The school has time to answer questions, fix things, and send out more information. Also, as it has been said before, U of I is just now sending out their financial aid packages so there is still time for you to get yours. Unless you specifically applied for a scholarship, I would not expect one. We just had our scholarship notifications and were told that it is even rare for a first year student going into second year to get one. I'm assuming this is because they are more likely to be there for the long run (ie not failing out) and have more debt accumulated as we are all pretty much in the same boat of financial need since our parents are no longer factored in. Call them if it makes you feel better, they may have more information that they haven't had the chance to send out yet, plus they are super nice!

Patience my friend =)

I just called them today because I never received the first email about the financial aid. Turns out it was because I never filled out my FAFSA, because I didn't know there was a deadline. I am new to this, I know it was probably a noob mistake and everyone else probably knows you're supposed to do it at a certain time, but I didn't. They told me today that if I fill it out and send it in that they will send me an award letter. So for those of you who didn't receive a first email, this may be your problem. x) Also, this also could be the case for those of you who log in to the website with your activation code and all you see is an application and nothing about financial aid.

I just called them today because I never received the first email about the financial aid. Turns out it was because I never filled out my FAFSA, because I didn't know there was a deadline. I am new to this, I know it was probably a noob mistake and everyone else probably knows you're supposed to do it at a certain time, but I didn't. They told me today that if I fill it out and send it in that they will send me an award letter. So for those of you who didn't receive a first email, this may be your problem. x) Also, this also could be the case for those of you who log in to the website with your activation code and all you see is an application and nothing about financial aid.

In the e-mail they sent today, they outlined this for those of us too lazy to call. I also have not filed my FAFSA as my taxes aren't done yet. But everything else goes through.

I called the number it said to call because I did file my FAFSA back in January and still do not have a financial aid letter. The lady I talked to told me to email financial aid and let them know that I still haven't received my letter. So, I did that yesterday. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else is in the same situation.

I had problems logging into the Enterprise system when I first got all the info. You have to call them and they'll fix it. It didn't recognize that I actually existed because, if I remember correctly, the enterprise doesn't talk to other parts of it and so it didn't know I had activated my NET ID.

I'm on the waitlist, but I received an email stating that my financial aid package/award is ready to view. However, I've never made a school ID so therefore, I can't view anything or even log in. Any past students that were accepted off the waitlist know how to view the financial aid? I would call/email, but their office is already closed.

So I finally got my financial aid letter. Definitely shocking to see $0 of grants awarded but I guess this is typical for grad students... :(

What's weird though is that I was told when I interviewed at OSU that you have a pretty good chance of getting the health professions loan if you submit your parent's info as well. I can only see that I was awarded the Stafford/Grad PLUS loan though. Is this normal?

So I finally got my financial aid letter. Definitely shocking to see $0 of grants awarded but I guess this is typical for grad students... :(

What's weird though is that I was told when I interviewed at OSU that you have a pretty good chance of getting the health professions loan if you submit your parent's info as well. I can only see that I was awarded the Stafford/Grad PLUS loan though. Is this normal?
That loan is need based, so it may be that they make too much for you to qualify for it; whether or not they help you out financially or not

I'm on the waitlist, but I received an email stating that my financial aid package/award is ready to view. However, I've never made a school ID so therefore, I can't view anything or even log in. Any past students that were accepted off the waitlist know how to view the financial aid? I would call/email, but their office is already closed.
I also got my finicial aid ready to be viewed but I am also on the waitlist? Any previous students who were on the waitlist have this occur to them and then not get off the waitlist? Is this a good sign? Or does it not really matter. Just since I submitted it they completed it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got my finicial aid ready to be viewed but I am also on the waitlist? Any previous students who were on the waitlist have this occur to them and then not get off the waitlist? Is this a good sign? Or does it not really matter. Just since I submitted it they completed it?
I am guessing they do this for everyone, those that have been accepted and those on the waitlist since financial aid is determined by the Financial Aid office, not the vet college specifically. I'm sure if you have filled out the FAFSA and indicated them to receive your info, then you will most likely get an award notification. I just don't think we can view anything since those on the waitlist aren't technically students. I was hoping to view just to see if I can afford attending if I got off the waitlist. It is nice that they provide it ahead of time.

I am guessing they do this for everyone, those that have been accepted and those on the waitlist since financial aid is determined by the Financial Aid office, not the vet college specifically. I'm sure if you have filled out the FAFSA and indicated them to receive your info, then you will most likely get an award notification. I just don't think we can view anything since those on the waitlist aren't technically students. I was hoping to view just to see if I can afford attending if I got off the waitlist. It is nice that they provide it ahead of time.
Ahh, that is true! Yeah it be nice to see how much I was awarded as well. I guess I shall have to wait.

I was thinking the same thing about the grants. Purdue offered me at $2,000 at least and I was out of state there, so I thought that I would get at least a little from U of I. I also didn't get the health professions loan and am pretty bummed because I'm sure my parents income falls in the "need based" area. :(

I was thinking the same thing about the grants. Purdue offered me at $2,000 at least and I was out of state there, so I thought that I would get at least a little from U of I. I also didn't get the health professions loan and am pretty bummed because I'm sure my parents income falls in the "need based" area. :(
I guess it depends on where your grants would be coming from. I imagine a lot of IS students will be hurting for their grants this year because of the non-existent state budget. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that state money has disappeared.

I never really understood the HPSL loan. 'You have to file as an independent, but we need your parents info to determine your need. OH, btw, even if you're 100% independent, you will lose out on this loan if your parents aren't considered low income.' lol...ok. Also know that by putting your parents info, any sort of savings account, bonds, whatever they could possibly have will affect your financial need. The government basically assumes that any amount of money laying around (in the form of a bank account or a cottage somewhere) will be utilized for your tuition.

You can always call the financial aid department and ask if they have any idea why you didn't get it. It's my understanding that the number of people who receive that loan is very limited and it's first come, first serve and that there's no guarantee that you'd be be awarded enough to cover the full COA. Since part of the deal with the loan is that the school itself has to contribute to the grand fund (that is divided among recipients), our budgeting may have affected that too. Can't hurt to try and find out.

Hi everyone! :happy: I have also decided to attend UIUC. I don't know if anyone here is still looking for a place to live, but I am currently looking for a female roommate for a 2-bedroom furnished apartment at Orchard Downs, specifically Orchard South. It's $340/person, and it includes everything including water, Internet, and parking except electric. It's super close to the vet school (only about 1 mile away). I am pretty easy-going, really friendly, respectful, neat, and am not a party person :p. Generally, I am looking for someone who is also fairly quiet and easy to get along with. If you are interested, please let me know! I am hoping to sign the lease as soon as I can. Thanks!! :cat:

Guys what are the clinical rounds in 4th year like? I'm bringing a dog, and I'm wondering how do you manage with a dog that 4th year because I heard rotations are like 12 hours?

Guys what are the clinical rounds in 4th year like? I'm bringing a dog, and I'm wondering how do you manage with a dog that 4th year because I heard rotations are like 12 hours?
@bbeventer

The 4th year I know who has a dog used any set lunch hours to run home. Or his roommate helped him out. Plus, not all rotations have 12 hour days, or have them every single day. You could also hire someone to walk/feed your dog at night for the weeks you know are going to have long days. First years are good for that sort of thing :p

There are days starting in your first year where you might find yourself having a 12 hour day if you have electives + extra-curriculars/wildlife clinic. It's good that you're thinking about it now.

Hi. I am leasing at 4 bedroom, 2 bath house with a small fenced in yard. It is in Urbana and less than 10 mins from the vet school. I am currently looking for three other people to lease the house with me. Pets are welcome as long as they get along with dogs and cats. I am bring my two dogs and cat (my cat is great with dogs). If you are interested please let me know and I can get you more details.

Do our fees cover access to the gym on the main U of I campus?
Yep, all students have free access to that (minus classes). It's covered under your student service fee, so assuming you didn't get exempt from it or waive it (if that's even a thing), you have access. I've heard good things about it.

I can say that our gym is top notch! I like to frequent it. And actually, we have two!! Campus Recreation Center East (CRCE pronounced sir sea) and the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC). Both are fully equipped, have indoor tracks, pools, courts and a rock climbing wall.

Update on the Health Professions Loan:
There was nothing in my financial aid letter about the HPSL loan. I just got an email today saying that I may be eligible for the HPSL, and asking for further verification. If there's a good chance you will qualify, you might be getting one via email soon too.

Update on the Health Professions Loan:
There was nothing in my financial aid letter about the HPSL loan. I just got an email today saying that I may be eligible for the HPSL, and asking for further verification. If there's a good chance you will qualify, you might be getting one via email soon too.
I got the same, but I didn't get it last year. A lot of my classmates got it too. So I'm not sure what that's about since nothing has changed...still doesn't matter fi your parents aren't considered disadvantaged financially.

I got the same, but I didn't get it last year. A lot of my classmates got it too. So I'm not sure what that's about since nothing has changed...still doesn't matter fi your parents aren't considered disadvantaged financially.

Yeah, not holding my breath on getting this

Yeah, not holding my breath on getting this
I wonder why everyone got one, when like no one got this email last year.

I'm thinking you got the email if you didn't already submit your FAFSA with your parents' info. I didn't put theirs on my FAFSA this year, so I alone qualify for HPSL. I won't once my parents' info is submitted, if that makes sense. This loan really makes no sense, to be honest. Your parents either qualify you or disqualify you, even though everyone is considered independent and (in theory) no one is receiving money from their parents. could rant about the state of financial aid in this country for hours...

I'm thinking you got the email if you didn't already submit your FAFSA with your parents' info. I didn't put theirs on my FAFSA this year, so I alone qualify for HPSL. I won't once my parents' info is submitted, if that makes sense. This loan really makes no sense, to be honest. Your parents either qualify you or disqualify you, even though everyone is considered independent and (in theory) no one is receiving money from their parents. could rant about the state of financial aid in this country for hours...

I put my parents' info on the FAFSA and got the email

I was under the impression from the literature that you wouldn't even be considered for the Health Profession Loan if you did not put your parent's info in the FAFSA. How do you qualify on your own without providing their info?

I was under the impression from the literature that you wouldn't even be considered for the Health Profession Loan if you did not put your parent's info in the FASFA. How do you qualify on your own without providing their info?
But I am being considered, as are those who got the email. They just want parental info to verify eligibility (aka, do your parents fall into an income range that makes it okay to give you this loan). You can also qualify without supplying parental info in certain situations. Your parents can be deceased, or there can be extenuating circumstances involved. Frankly, I think I could make the latter case for myself, but I'd have to look into it more.

I don't know why everyone got this email, the majority of us won't qualify. Seems like they just made a lot of paperwork for themselves, lol.

But I am being considered, as are those who got the email. They just want parental info to verify eligibility (aka, do your parents fall into an income range that makes it okay to give you this loan). You can also qualify without supplying parental info in certain situations. Your parents can be deceased, or there can be extenuating circumstances involved. Frankly, I think I could make the latter case for myself, but I'd have to look into it more.

I don't know why everyone got this email, the majority of us won't qualify. Seems like they just made a lot of paperwork for themselves, lol.

Is there an option to just decline and not send in your parental information?

Is there an option to just decline and not send in your parental information?
To qualify for the HPSL, no, not unless you have those special circumstances (which would probably require verification or something). If you're not trying to qualify, you can ignore the email.

I get this loan. I got my financial aid letter and then a few days later an e-mail asking me to respond if I would like to be considered for this loan. They then send you information on what they need from you (i.e parent tax info).

Our Big Sib/Little Sib committee just formed, so that stuff will be getting started soon (maybe by the end of May or early June?)!

Also, when you guys start hearing about IVLE, definitely try to go! It's a lot of fun and you get to meet your classmates. And get some exercise.

there is a survey asking questions about the blue coat ceremony. What size would you recommend I get? I weigh around 125-130 lbs and I'm around 5'3'' or 5'4'' in height. Girl btw lol. Do they run big or small?

there is a survey asking questions about the blue coat ceremony. What size would you recommend I get? I weigh around 125-130 lbs and I'm around 5'3'' or 5'4'' in height. Girl btw lol. Do they run big or small?
If you have big boobs, get a much larger size than you'd think you need. Many of our bustier classmates have complained that they can't button their coats. I'm 5'3" 110ish size small end B cup and I got a 34 that fits me just fine.

If you have big boobs, get a much larger size than you'd think you need. Many of our bustier classmates have complained that they can't button their coats. I'm 5'3" 110ish size small end B cup and I got a 34 that fits me just fine.
I can't.....

Where is the survey?

It's not that they run big/small, it's that they're unisex. So they're not cut for women, even if you measure yourself correctly. There's a difference between your chest girth being distributed evenly or having two mountains just on your chest, lol

Just declined my IS spot. Good luck everyone!

bahahaha I'm crying. And I would say I am a pretty average girl in terms of size lol
It's so annoying though. If any of your classmates find themselves with one that's way too big....hmu and we'll see if the a trade would be mutually beneficial, lol. These coats do not agree with boobs and hips.

It's so annoying though. If any of your classmates find themselves with one that's way too big....hmu and we'll see if the a trade would be mutually beneficial, lol. These coats do not agree with boobs and hips.

You would think with 80% of classes being female, they would have a female clothing option along with the unisex option.

You would think with 80% of classes being female, they would have a female clothing option along with the unisex option.
Lol....yeah...you would think.

The good thing is that, as far as I know, no one has had any issues with length (and we have two particularly tall people in our class). If you're extremely petite, you might not be able to go small enough, though.