University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a classmate who is extremely tiny, I'd bet her measurements were smaller than yours. I don't think the coats ran small enough for her, tbh. http://cheer.epicsports.com/prod/70...yi8kp00f1sHwx2TE9R39H6flE00_QuIywzBoCMLPw_wcB If it helps at all.

You fall at the upper end of the waist too, but the hip size doesn't run small enough for you. Honestly, I'd get the XS. I think my problem is that my bust and hips fit in with one category, but my waist was in the next by an inch. I thought it'd be fine since I was told they ran big, but it ended up being an issue. Not that it helps you make a decision, but if it ends up fitting awkwardly, join the party. Most of the bigger chested girls can't button their coats, some girls are swimming in theirs.
That's helpful, thanks! I'll go with the XS then, as per my usual haha :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do we get white coats at the end of first year?
No. White coats are given to third years entering the clinics. We are given blue coats to wear in the hospital during our 1st/2nd years.

I was wondering about the rubber boots. I am going to purchase the ones from ISCAVMA. Do we purchase the same size as our shoes even if we want to wear them over our shoes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about the rubber boots. I am going to purchase the ones from ISCAVMA. Do we purchase the same size as our shoes even if we want to wear them over our shoes?
Pretty sure that's what you do. I believe they are also sized in men's if that makes a difference. I'm a women's size 11 and I got the XL and it's fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Is everyone still excited for school? :)

Totes your goats. Less than 100 days until the first day of class.

Wow! I guess that's accurate already! Time flies...

Definitely have a count down for a bunch of things on my phone and the first day of class is one of them. lol.

Does anyone know when that furniture yard sale thing is that happens on campus?

Does anyone know when that furniture yard sale thing is that happens on campus?
When are you coming into town? And welcome! If any of you have any questions or need any help in town, please feel free to contact me. I remember how it was to move here!

Here are some facebook groups locally for sales:

Champaign County Humane Society does a huge garage sale every summer & this year it's on May 27th.

Here are some local thrift stores:

More info:
Brief and Biased Guide to Champaign-Urbana:

College of Veterinary Medicine

2001 S. Lincoln Avenue

Urbana, IL 61802

Parking Services

1201 W. University Avenue,

Urbana, IL 61801

Hours

Monday - Friday

8:30am - 5:00pm

217-333-3530

[email protected]

McKinley Health Center

1109 S. Lincoln Ave

Urbana, IL 61801

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/general/appointments.htm

Champaign is west, Urbana is east.

I-74 is the highway/interstate that runs through C-U in the north. There are 4 main roads that will lead you to I-74: University Avenue, Lincoln Ave, Neil St, Prospect Ave. Neil is one way through downtown Champaign.

Florida Avenue in Urbana turns into Kirby Ave once it intersects with Neil Ave in Champaign.

The parking garage in Champaign on N Randolph and W Hill has free parking at night.

The parking garage in downtown Urbana at Main St and Broadway has free parking at night.

Restaurants/bars:

Golden Harbor- Chinese

Black dog- BBQ

Lil Porgies- BBQ

Crane Alley-

Seven Saints-

Brixx Pizza- $2.50 craft drafts on Mondays

Papa Dels-

Triptych brewing in Savoy

Destihl

Big Grove Tavern

Maize

Columbia Street Roastery (mm coffee)
Cream and flutter
AND MANY MANY MORE: scope out the local eateries!!!

Trivia:

Blind Pig Brewery (piglet): Sunday nights at 7PM

Cowboy Monkey: Sunday nights at 7:30PM

Murphy’s Pub: Sundays at 10PM

Boltini Lounge: Tuesdays at 7PM

Memphis on Main: Tuesdays at 7PM

Brothers Bar & Grill: Tuesdays at 9PM

Festivals and things:

Sweet corn festival in Urbana (but literally there is only one stand that sells corn)

Homer Soda Festival in Homer, IL (the Homer Soda company bottles soda)

Things to do/see/know of:

Allerton Park in Monticello

Meadowbrook Park in Urbana, IL

Farmers market every Saturday morning at the Lincoln Square Mall in Urbana

Local mall is Market Place Shopping Center off of Neil in Champaign. (North of I-74)

Champaign Dog park and Urbana Dog Park

Planetarium at Parkland community college

Arboretum across from vetmed with a gazebo built by Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec)

Blogs:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/789294014524899/

http://smilepolitely.com/

http://www.chambanamoms.com/

https://localwiki.org/cu/

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Trivia:

Blind Pig Brewery (piglet): Sunday nights at 7PM

Cowboy Monkey: Sunday nights at 7:30PM

Murphy’s Pub: Sundays at 10PM

Boltini Lounge: Tuesdays at 7PM

Memphis on Main: Tuesdays at 7PM

Brothers Bar & Grill: Tuesdays at 9PM

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any of you who become close friends with me, you all must realize that Trivia Night will be a weekly thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just an fyi for all of you coming in, though I believe you'll be in the big classroom in LAC, the work on the BSB classrooms has begun. I'm doing research on campus this summer and heard them working on them, so it's not a rumor type deal. Yay progress!

First of all, welcome to Illinois!
On the topic of yard sales...

The Animal Welfare Club does an annual yard sale as a fundraiser in August. This year it will be August 27-28 (this is the weekend after the first week of school).
We have A LOT of furniture, including end tables, desks, bookshelves, and more! Also a bunch of other good stuff for your new apartment! And it ALL MUST GO, so seriously, if you're looking for a good deal on stuff, come support us!
More information to come during the first week of school. Enjoy your summer!

batsenecal - Trivia is super fun, a group of us used to go almost every week! Then second year happened, hehe.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey class of 2020 Illinoisans! I have a house for rent 10 min from vet med in Urbana. I am looking for a few roommates to split it between. Cats and dogs are okie dok and there is a fenced yard. We have a washer, dryer, dish wishing machine and fire place. If you wanna know more or wanna swing by for a visit, lemme know. Thanks! It's only $1300 a month split 4 ways plus utilities.

Hey first years,

Congrats on getting through one of the hardest parts of vet school already - getting in. :) My roommates and I are all second years, and we are searching for one more roommate for our house this coming year. Rent is $400/month for a 4 bedroom/2 bathroom house. The house is split so that each floor has a living room, two bedrooms, and a bathroom. We are currently having a fence built in the backyard too. We have a washer/dryer, and most of the living room furniture already. There is a 1 pet per person limit and a $100 pet deposit at signing. We have two dogs and one cat already but they all get along with others. The house is within biking distance to the school, and two of us have cars so we will drive together a lot of the time. If you're interested in knowing more, let me know!

Enjoy the rest of your summer & get excited for the craziness to begin!

Sounds good, just PM me when you get into town
Hey Jaybird, just wanted to let you know I moved in last week! No rush, but whenever you want to meet up so I can buy the books, just let me know! :)

Hey everyone, just a question for everyone who applied last year and/or applying this year: How long did the essay take for you to finish? (This year it is on the Zika virus and GMO's).

Hey everyone, just a question for everyone who applied last year and/or applying this year: How long did the essay take for you to finish? (This year it is on the Zika virus and GMO's).

I'm not sure I'm a good comparison but my essay took me like 20 minutes. 1. I like writing essays. 2 I went to UofI for undergrad and we had issues with our swine farm and PEDV so we had that drilled into us.

I think my essay took one evening of reading up on the topic, brainstorming, and writing. Maybe about 2-3 hours total? I knew nothing about the topic before I started though.

When I applied the second time, it took me maybe a full day to get the essay to where I liked it. It doesn't have to be a long essay, but the admissions office recommended during my first file review that it be treated like a mini research paper. So do use citations and the like.

When I applied the second time, it took me maybe a full day to get the essay to where I liked it. It doesn't have to be a long essay, but the admissions office recommended during my first file review that it be treated like a mini research paper. So do use citations and the like.

Oh yes! Definitely use citations and such. Make it professional!

I'm not sure I'm a good comparison but my essay took me like 20 minutes. 1. I like writing essays. 2 I went to UofI for undergrad and we had issues with our swine farm and PEDV so we had that drilled into us.
Thank you for your reply! That's amazing it only took you twenty minutes!

I think my essay took one evening of reading up on the topic, brainstorming, and writing. Maybe about 2-3 hours total? I knew nothing about the topic before I started though.

Ok, cool. Thank you! I am just nervous about it being 10,000 characters!

Yes, I was planning on doing that. I just have to figure out how much time I have left after everything I have to do to see if I can really put the time into writing this essay. I take a while to finish essays since I want them to be perfect, so it's hard for me to write one quickly or only in a few hours.

So this is a separate question: To those of you who attend the school and interviewed there, how are you in feeling safe there? I've been to Chicago and I have family there and I know it isn't the safest city. I know Urbana is about two hours away from Chicago, but wherever I end up going, I want to make sure I feel safe.

Ok, cool. Thank you! I am just nervous about it being 10,000 characters!
I think they put the 10,000 character limit as more of a hard maximum as opposed to how long the essay is supposed to be. If you think that you throughly discussed all your points, with the proper citations, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it being shorter than 10,000 characters.

As for how safe the city is, I was only there for about 2 days for the interview, but I didn't feel unsafe while I was there. Maybe I'll update once I get the chance to move in and explore a little more next month!

I lived in urbana for the past year and I felt safe. Just realize that anytime you are out alone you should be cautious even if you are in the safest place ever. To me champaign-urbana is just like any other college town.

I lived in urbana for the past year and I felt safe. Just realize that anytime you are out alone you should be cautious even if you are in the safest place ever. To me champaign-urbana is just like any other college town.
Seconded.

We get crime alerts/descriptions from the campus PD as they happen, and it's no different than any other large campus crime. Assaults, robbery, sexual assault, etc. Most crimes occur when a victim is walking alone late at night. Common sense goes a long way, and the vet med campus is also slightly removed from the rest of the 'undergrad' part of campus. For the most part, you're surrounded by other vet students each day (not that this eliminates crimes like theft....). Like with any situation anywhere, even off campus, try not to be alone late at night.

Also, just because we're close to Chicago doesn't mean we get the same crime. My undergrad was about an hour from Detroit, and we didn't see the same crime at all (although we did have a handful of shootings in the four years that I was there).

Yes, I was planning on doing that. I just have to figure out how much time I have left after everything I have to do to see if I can really put the time into writing this essay. I take a while to finish essays since I want them to be perfect, so it's hard for me to write one quickly or only in a few hours.

So this is a separate question: To those of you who attend the school and interviewed there, how are you in feeling safe there? I've been to Chicago and I have family there and I know it isn't the safest city. I know Urbana is about two hours away from Chicago, but wherever I end up going, I want to make sure I feel safe.
I have been living in Urbana now for the last few weeks. I love it so far. I haven't felt unsafe at all. However, being a single woman, I wouldn't go walking the streets at night alone. Though I wouldn't do this in most places either. Like Jaybird said, it's a lot like other college towns. I think Urbana has less of a college feel than Champaign as it is a bit away from the main campus and I like this. Hope this helps!

I have a question for current students. I'm looking to get a new backpack and was wondering how much stuff you find yourself bringing back and forth to school daily? Do you carry the anatomy books back and forth? Change of clothes? Lunch? Any help appreciated!

I think they put the 10,000 character limit as more of a hard maximum as opposed to how long the essay is supposed to be. If you think that you throughly discussed all your points, with the proper citations, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it being shorter than 10,000 characters.

As for how safe the city is, I was only there for about 2 days for the interview, but I didn't feel unsafe while I was there. Maybe I'll update once I get the chance to move in and explore a little more next month!

Great, thank you. I was planning on saving the essay until the end of my application process. I need to make sure I get everything else done first so I don't spend all of my time on this one essay.

Thank you!

Yes of course. Ok, that is good to know. Thank you!

Seconded.

We get crime alerts/descriptions from the campus PD as they happen, and it's no different than any other large campus crime. Assaults, robbery, sexual assault, etc. Most crimes occur when a victim is walking alone late at night. Common sense goes a long way, and the vet med campus is also slightly removed from the rest of the 'undergrad' part of campus. For the most part, you're surrounded by other vet students each day (not that this eliminates crimes like theft....). Like with any situation anywhere, even off campus, try not to be alone late at night.

Also, just because we're close to Chicago doesn't mean we get the same crime. My undergrad was about an hour from Detroit, and we didn't see the same crime at all (although we did have a handful of shootings in the four years that I was there).

Shootings! That is scary. I have been to Chicago numerous times to visit my family, just not recently. So since I have never been to Urbana, I was just unsure about how the town is, and how safe everyone feels walking their dogs at night.

I have been living in Urbana now for the last few weeks. I love it so far. I haven't felt unsafe at all. However, being a single woman, I wouldn't go walking the streets at night alone. Though I wouldn't do this in most places either. Like Jaybird said, it's a lot like other college towns. I think Urbana has less of a college feel than Champaign as it is a bit away from the main campus and I like this. Hope this helps!

Thank you!