University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the interview day they'll tell you not to share the questions with anyone, it's part of the school's honor code and I'm pretty sure they use the same questions every year. But there are some past questions in the interview feedback section on here, possibly before they had that policy, that I found helpful. It's a closed file behavioral interview, so also just Googling "behavioral interview questions" will give you a general idea of what to expect. :)
Thank you I will be sure to look some up just to be comfortable with the format! Congrats o everyone with interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students or people familiar with the area know of reliable transportation options from Chicago O'Hare or Midway to Urbana?
I was doing some research and it looks like they have a shuttle bus from ohare.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question, in order to accept the interview invitation it says to send an e-mail with your name and VMCAS number in the subject line. Are you guys not writing anything else in the actual email then? Also, congratulations to everyone on the interviews :)
I'm just writing I accept and look forward to meet you and my name. Doubt they really read through them in full detail

Members don't see this ad :)
So I called admissions today, and it turns out it's the stupid LOR situation coming back to haunt me. I guess they didn't realize that my app wouldn't be verified due to the missing evaluation, so even though I was told it would be fine to just have him email them the letter, they never even looked at my application. :bang: I guess I should have been more on top of things to make sure I was squared away, but it wasn't an issue for Midwestern, SGU or Kansas State that I was never verified. I just have one transcript, so it's not like verification is a big deal for me. Anyway, they're going to look into it and get back to me probably Monday.

Quick question, in order to accept the interview invitation it says to send an e-mail with your name and VMCAS number in the subject line. Are you guys not writing anything else in the actual email then? Also, congratulations to everyone on the interviews :)
I just put a polite little "I would like to accept my interview invitation. Thank you, xTine" in the body.

I put something along the lines of, " I would like to confirm my interview invitation...." Then signed it at the bottom. Now that I think of it, I should have worded it differently, but I'm sure they'll understand it. As long as you don't put decline I think it'll be okay! :)

i wrote... "i am writing to confirm my interview offer. Thank you for the consideration."

is this the first school option for anyone?? it's mine! i hope i get accepted!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I got an interview offer as well for OOS! Any one know which airport is best to fly into? I've never been to Illinois before!

Midway is closer and i like them because they have Southwest Airlines

I will be flying into midway tho as well. I take southwest.

Oh I live like an hour from Chicago.. I was just suggesting the closer airline.. Cant really go wrong with a shuttle to the school though from O'Hare

Members don't see this ad :)
is this the first school option for anyone?? it's mine! i hope i get accepted!!!

This was my top school until Ohio interviewed me haha, but I still really love this school too. Not even entirely sure why. I just loved everything I read.

So I called admissions today, and it turns out it's the stupid LOR situation coming back to haunt me. I guess they didn't realize that my app wouldn't be verified due to the missing evaluation, so even though I was told it would be fine to just have him email them the letter, they never even looked at my application. :bang: I guess I should have been more on top of things to make sure I was squared away, but it wasn't an issue for Midwestern, SGU or Kansas State that I was never verified. I just have one transcript, so it's not like verification is a big deal for me. Anyway, they're going to look into it and get back to me probably Monday.
:(
Bummer that keeps coming back to mess you up.

My friend from Illinois just got a rejection email five minutes ago :( Good luck, everyone!

I will be flying into midway tho as well. I take southwest.

Will you be renting a car and driving to Urbana? I'm debating whether or not to rent a car and drive, or taking a shuttle to Urbana then use taxis to get on campus. I also usually fly Southwest, so I'm debating whether I should fly into Midway.

Will you be renting a car and driving to Urbana? I'm debating whether or not to rent a car and drive, or taking a shuttle to Urbana then use taxis to get on campus. I also usually fly Southwest, so I'm debating whether I should fly into Midway.

I would honestly rent a car.. It's quite a long way from the airport to the campus.. the school is kind of in the middle of nowhere

Last edited:
I am doing what you are doing, flying southwest into midway and then renting a car.

My boyfriend lives in Florida and he always flies up to Chicago and then down to the savoy airport. That airport is less than 10min from the vet school. I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't know if anyone knew about that little airport. Not that much more expensive last time I used it. https://www.flycmi.com

Can any existing Illinois students help confirm/deny a rumour for me? I've been looking into going to Illinois for a residency program, but there have been rumours circulating that a lot of faculty are currently leaving. Is there any truth to this? Even if there is, I doubt it would have a significant effect on the department I'm interested in, but I've heard it a couple times and was wondering if there was any basis for it.

Can any existing Illinois students help confirm/deny a rumour for me? I've been looking into going to Illinois for a residency program, but there have been rumours circulating that a lot of faculty are currently leaving. Is there any truth to this? Even if there is, I doubt it would have a significant effect on the department I'm interested in, but I've heard it a couple times and was wondering if there was any basis for it.

We have had quite a few leave. While I'm sure turnover is common at all academic institutions, it seems like it has been a lot lately. This is also just adding to how the state doesn't have a budget and how this has had some major effects on vet med. I don't know how it has effected the hospital though. What specialty are you looking at?

I ended up buying Southwest tickets into Midway, and I'm planning to find a shuttle that will take me to Urbana. Not sure which one is good there.
Once I'm actually in the town, I intend on Ubering everywhere I need to be. :p

I ended up buying Southwest tickets into Midway, and I'm planning to find a shuttle that will take me to Urbana. Not sure which one is good there.
Once I'm actually in the town, I intend on Ubering everywhere I need to be. :p
I decided to fly into O'Hare since I found cheaper tickets. Still debating on whether to rent a car or not. I'm waiting to see if my bf can come, mainly so I can make him drive haha :happy: I'm just worried about having to drive if it's snowing, since I've never done that before.

Does anyone know if guests are welcome to attend the tours? I'd like to bring someone along with me, mainly so I won't have to drive ;)

Reactions: 2 users
We have had quite a few leave. While I'm sure turnover is common at all academic institutions, it seems like it has been a lot lately. This is also just adding to how the state doesn't have a budget and how this has had some major effects on vet med. I don't know how it has effected the hospital though. What specialty are you looking at?
Has this affected your educational experience much?

Does anyone know if guests are welcome to attend the tours? I'd like to bring someone along with me, mainly so I won't have to drive ;)
Guests are welcome and can go everywhere you go except for the interview. They just simply find a seat and wait for you until you're done with it.

Reactions: 3 users
Cardiology. That's why I'm not too too worried, because the cardiology department really just started again and actually seems to be expanding quite rapidly. It's possible that faculty leaving could cause a change in case load, consults, etc. though.

Cardiology. That's why I'm not too too worried, because the cardiology department really just started again and actually seems to be expanding quite rapidly. It's possible that faculty leaving could cause a change in case load, consults, etc. though.

Yes, cardiology is looking to add a second cardiologist because they are so busy.

Last edited:

Yes, remodeling of first and second year classrooms has been halted since July, along with a large lab area. First years are having lectures in the anatomy lab and second years in the bacteriology lab. Clinicians leaving hasn't had a major effect teaching wise.

Yes, remodeling of first and second year classrooms has been halted since July, along with a large lab area. First years are having lectures in the anatomy lab and second years in the bacteriology lab. Clinicians leaving hasn't had a major effect teaching wise.
Apparently we're being moved from LAC100 to the bac-t lab this semester. Which means I'm not going to have my coffee and poptart breakfast during lecture:mad:

The upcoming first years may/may not be affected by the absence of one of our zoo med profs. I heard no one else has an interest in (or time) to teach What's Your Diagnosis..but rumors are rumors until proven true.
I don't think the leavings of people from the zoo/optho/dentistry (I think? I forgot) departments would affect cardio. There are other zoo med clinicians, so it's not like that service is shutting down. Plus, our cardiologist is the only one in the state. I would suspect that the school would try their best to keep him. That, and almost every other service in the hospital consults with cardio on a fairly regular basis. Very busy for sure.

Apparently we're being moved from LAC100 to the bac-t lab this semester. Which means I'm not going to have my coffee and poptart breakfast during lecture.

You'll probably be in there the rest of the year because they might give LAC100 to the 2nd years when they get back to class and 3rd years are on clinics.

I honestly don't think the leaving of staff or the budget issue has affected my learning at all. Sure it's caused some inconveniences but that should be nothing in comparison to what we may have to deal with as vets. In the overall scheme of illinois budget cuts, U of I will fair the best out of all universities in Illinois Imo since we are well established and supported.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your insight guys! Being instate, I would really love to go to Illinois. Plus, I think the curriculum sounds amazing. I am at NIU currently, and there has been a lot of talk about professors leaving as well. But, I am realistically thinking that, like you say, aside from some inconveniences, it is still my number one choice. I just wanted to hear current students' perspectives. I'm sure hoping to join you guys!!! Fingers crossed!!

I honestly don't think the leaving of staff or the budget issue has affected my learning at all. Sure it's caused some inconveniences but that should be nothing in comparison to what we may have to deal with as vets. In the overall scheme of illinois budget cuts, U of I will fair the best out of all universities in Illinois Imo since we are well established and supported.
Idk...keeping my away from my poptarts is pretty serious :p

Idk...keeping my away from my poptarts is pretty serious :p
I wonder if they are still going to be doing that since the 2nd years will be on rotations and won't be having labs in there. Or if it is just a precaution they always use just in case.

Congrats all who got interview! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

How does U of I go about announcing acceptances following interviews? The suspense is already killing me!

Congrats all who got interview! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

How does U of I go about announcing acceptances following interviews? The suspense is already killing me!
It says on their website that we will be notified of final acceptance by the end of February by email then I'm sure they will send out official letters. I wonder if it takes a full 2 weeks tho ugh

I think it depends on how many people they end up interviewing. If they actually fill in the empty interview spots, then I imagine it would take the full two weeks to decide who gets accepted and who are wait listed. But if they don't fill the interview spots that people decline/don't show up for, then it might not take the full two weeks.

I received my acceptance around the 2 week mark and my interview last year was during that big snow storm for the east coast which grounded/stranded a lot of interviewees so they let them do phone/skype (i'm not sure which one) interviews.

I received my acceptance around the 2 week mark and my interview last year was during that big snow storm for the east coast which grounded/stranded a lot of interviewees so they let them do phone/skype (i'm not sure which one) interviews.
I feel the wait after the interview process is even more brutal than the wait to hear if you have an interview. I have never experienced myself but I can only imagine!

I feel the wait after the interview process is even more brutal than the wait to hear if you have an interview. I have never experienced myself but I can only imagine!
I remember it being stressful but at the same time I also remember being relieved that it was out of my hands and that relief helped take my mind off it. There wasn't really anything to worry about at the point because, up until then, I was constantly worried about deadlines for the application, if I had everything in, if they received my transcripts, what if they asked me something at the interview that I didn't know the answer to,and the list goes on and on So going from worrying about a thousand things a minute to just the one of getting in was relieving. I would suggest trying to do anything to get your mind off of it after you interview.

I wonder if they are still going to be doing that since the 2nd years will be on rotations and won't be having labs in there. Or if it is just a precaution they always use just in case.
We didn't even mess with bacteria until second quarter and wasn't allowed anything the entire semester. It was quite annoying.

Congrats to everyone getting interviews!! Don't stress about them :) Be yourself, answer confidently, and show them what you're passionate about!

Anyone know about how many out of state applicants they offer acceptance to? I know they interview like 200

Anyone know about how many out of state applicants they offer acceptance to? I know they interview like 200
It went from (I believe) 40 -> 50 for my class. Or 50 -> 60. It's quite a lot of OOS.

How do they interview so many people in only one day?!
Not gonna lie, it's a hectic and crowded day. I personally disliked the interview day because each tour was overcrowded and there were just a lot of people. With that being said, don't be shy with your questions. Also, some interviews were really short (5-10 minutes, mine was about 10) and others went really long. They have a ton of interviewer groups, too.

I was wondering the same thing. The trend across vet schools is that you invite 50% to 100% more OOS than your target since a huge chunk will decline for their IS. So with UIUC wanting 40 OOS, then they would probably accept 60-80 would be my guess. Which, out of 200, are not terrible odds all things considered.

I wonder if they really interview 200, though. It seems they send out all 200 invites on the same day and there have to be some who decline their interview. Do they fill those empty spots or do they leave them empty? The last three years worth of Illinois threads never show someone getting an invite a few days after everyone else.

It went from (I believe) 40 -> 50 for my class. Or 50 -> 60. It's quite a lot of OOS.

Are you saying that they accepted 40-50 OOS people for your class?

I was wondering the same thing. The trend across vet schools is that you invite 50% to 100% more OOS than your target since a huge chunk will decline for their IS. So with UIUC wanting 40 OOS, then they would probably accept 60-80 would be my guess. Which, out of 200, are not terrible odds all things considered.

I wonder if they really interview 200, though. It seems they send out all 200 invites on the same day and there have to be some who decline their interview. Do they fill those empty spots or do they leave them empty? The last three years worth of Illinois threads never show someone getting an invite a few days after everyone else.

Are you saying that they accepted 40-50 OOS people for your class?

There stat online said their OOS class is 60 students, and 70 IS. So i assume the invite 100? Which would be 50%. That's what I was thinking, just wanted to know if someone knew for sure.