University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you who are current students... How have you been able to manage working and going to school?
Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Like, I hate coffee but I have a coffee maker because I max out at 5 hours of sleep a night due to work. This is my choice to work as much as I do though. I work about 25-30 hours a week on top of being on a wildlife team and of course school. Weekends are my catch up days.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Like, I hate coffee but I have a coffee maker because I max out at 5 hours of sleep a night due to work. This is my choice to work as much as I do though. I work about 25-30 hours a week on top of being on a wildlife team and of course school. Weekends are my catch up days.
ugh that sounds draining

There are also quite a few opportunities to work within the school itself. The benefit is that they respect your class schedule. The con is that some of them (most teaching hospital positions) are on an on-call basis (you could get called in at 3AM) and you may have to agree to stick around during school breaks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you who are current students... How have you been able to manage working and going to school?

Not a current student, but I am planning on doing a basic job on campus if at all possible (library would be on point), couple hours a week. To get average rent fully covered at the current minimum wage, it would take 17.3 hours a week, which I don't think is really feasible for me depending on the job and commitment. But even just 10 hours a week would net over 250 a month, which would easily be food/gas for me. Every little bit helps. I worked between 20 and 40 hours a week during undergrad and I know it had an effect on my grades. Not going to deal with that problem if I get accepted to vet school.

I'm going to decline my interview--hope that improves the odds for some of you! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Not a current student, but I am planning on doing a basic job on campus if at all possible (library would be on point), couple hours a week. To get average rent fully covered at the current minimum wage, it would take 17.3 hours a week, which I don't think is really feasible for me depending on the job and commitment. But even just 10 hours a week would net over 250 a month, which would easily be food/gas for me. Every little bit helps. I worked between 20 and 40 hours a week during undergrad and I know it had an effect on my grades. Not going to deal with that problem if I get accepted to vet school.
I'm actually interviewing at the vet med library tomorrow. Not sure about the other libraries on campus, but the vet med one is super low key. I see the students watching Netflix all the time.

I'm actually interviewing at the vet med library tomorrow. Not sure about the other libraries on campus, but the vet med one is super low key. I see the students watching Netflix all the time.

You should totes let me know how it goes! With my sudden life change, a lot more options for jobs and such have opened up on what I'm willing to do for work. lol. I figured a library job, particularly desk, would allow some multi-tasking with work and getting studying done.

You should totes let me know how it goes! With my sudden life change, a lot more options for jobs and such have opened up on what I'm willing to do for work. lol. I figured a library job, particularly desk, would allow some multi-tasking with work and getting studying done.
I will! It's definitely a cushy job. As far as I know, students run the lib on some nights and then weekends. It is open until midnight during exam weeks, but chances are I'd be awake until then at home anyways. The selling factor for me was not being stuck at school during winter/summer. Or holidays.

I will! It's definitely a cushy job. As far as I know, students run the lib on some nights and then weekends. It is open until midnight during exam weeks, but chances are I'd be awake until then at home anyways. The selling factor for me was not being stuck at school during winter/summer. Or holidays.

I would cover those weekends in a heartbeat. I'd be willing to take pretty much any weird hours. Res Life does that to me now. Might as well keep with it.

Starting to get a little nervous about what I'm hearing about Illinois...
Reading this thread combined with the college strategic plan is very unsettling to say the least.

Reading this thread combined with the college strategic plan is very unsettling to say the least.
Yes, the college is having some problems right now. They suck, they're annoying, and sometimes you want to rip your hair out when you go in circles talking about said problems. Nonetheless, there are very few schools that will give you as much clinical experience on campus before your 4th year clinic rotations. Right now I'm on imaging and I spent my day shadowing the ultrasound crew. In that time, I learned what the little blobs are supposed to be, what's normal and abnormal, how the machine works in general, and what different opacities mean. Yesterday I helped position and restrain several dogs for radiographs. I was fully in charge of positioning the animal and the tube to get the proper rad to look at (with guidance of course) and figured out how to readjust to fix any rotation errors. These are things I could learn through externships or in 4th year rotations, but I'm learning them now. It will make me more competent and knowledgeable by the time I get to 4th year. It's seriously valuable experiences that I wouldn't toss to the side just because our governor is being stubborn or the school admin people are being dramatic. It's not the end of the world. Your decision on what school to go to should be based on their curriculum, their tuition, how it will affect your personal relationships, and if you want to live in the town the school is in. The budget thing is just temporary.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes, the college is having some problems right now. They suck, they're annoying, and sometimes you want to rip your hair out when you go in circles talking about said problems. Nonetheless, there are very few schools that will give you as much clinical experience on campus before your 4th year clinic rotations. Right now I'm on imaging and I spent my day shadowing the ultrasound crew. In that time, I learned what the little blobs are supposed to be, what's normal and abnormal, how the machine works in general, and what different opacities mean. Yesterday I helped position and restrain several dogs for radiographs. I was fully in charge of positioning the animal and the tube to get the proper rad to look at (with guidance of course) and figured out how to readjust to fix any rotation errors. These are things I could learn through externships or in 4th year rotations, but I'm learning them now. It will make me more competent and knowledgeable by the time I get to 4th year. It's seriously valuable experiences that I wouldn't toss to the side just because our governor is being stubborn or the school admin people are being dramatic. It's not the end of the world. Your decision on what school to go to should be based on their curriculum, their tuition, how it will affect your personal relationships, and if you want to live in the town the school is in. The budget thing is just temporary.
Really, the rotations are excellent. A fair number of people try to knock them, but until you've been through them, you don't really realize how much you can learn just as a first year going through (and then you still get second year to have more rotations as well!). Some exciting things I did: blood draws on a horse jug, cow tail vein, sheep jug; how to use a balling gun and restrain a cow's head (for the most part...lol); x-ray positioning and ultrasound; how to do an optho exam, and so much more. This is stuff that you otherwise may very well be doing for the first time as a fourth year when a clinician (or client) is watching you. We also have two milestone exams to test us on these skills, so it's not like these rotations aren't taken seriously.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh! Gotta remember to sign up to help with interview day again this year! Good luck everyone!

Really, the rotations are excellent. A fair number of people try to knock them, but until you've been through them, you don't really realize how much you can learn just as a first year going through (and then you still get second year to have more rotations as well!). Some exciting things I did: blood draws on a horse jug, cow tail vein, sheep jug; how to use a balling gun and restrain a cow's head (for the most part...lol); x-ray positioning and ultrasound; how to do an optho exam, and so much more. This is stuff that you otherwise may very well be doing for the first time as a fourth year when a clinician (or client) is watching you. We also have two milestone exams to test us on these skills, so it's not like these rotations aren't taken seriously.
Seriously the BIGGEST plus about Illinois is the fact clinical practice start year 1. That is awesome!

That sounds so awesome!! Illinois' curriculum does sound amazing!

We get our interview times tomorrow! Definitely hoping for an early one so that we can get all the tours and talks done and head back to Denver.

I just declined my interview! Hopefully that improves all of your chances!

We shall be hearing interview information today yes?

I hope so. It would just be after 5 pm central time.

Alright guys, my class had a chat with the dean today regarding the current budget situation. Basically, he reiterated how there is nothing the school can do without state approval. Since two downed classrooms and a few other unfinished projects don't pose a safety concern, those projects are on hiatus. He seemed confident that the budget would be signed by April, but he said that for January 1st as well so who knows. He said the small universities/colleges are set to completely shut down next month due to a lack of money, so we may very well see change sooner. Again, with politics, the right things are never the priority of the politicians.

I did ask what would happen to us as students if the state never figures the budget out (my concern being we'd close down), and he basically said we'd continue as we are now.

Alright guys, my class had a chat with the dean today regarding the current budget situation. Basically, he reiterated how there is nothing the school can do without state approval. Since two downed classrooms and a few other unfinished projects don't pose a safety concern, those projects are on hiatus. He seemed confident that the budget would be signed by April, but he said that for January 1st as well so who knows. He said the small universities/colleges are set to completely shut down next month due to a lack of money, so we may very well see change sooner. Again, with politics, the right things are never the priority of the politicians.

I did ask what would happen to us as students if the state never figures the budget out (my concern being we'd close down), and he basically said we'd continue as we are now.
Do you feel these finance problems have impacted your learning ability ?

Do you feel these finance problems have impacted your learning ability ?
Honestly? No. The only issue we have right now is that we're having to use our labs as classrooms. That is an annoyance, but I don't feel that it will have an effect on me educationally if that makes sense.

Honestly? No. The only issue we have right now is that we're having to use our labs as classrooms. That is an annoyance, but I don't feel that it will have an effect on me educationally if that makes sense.
Yeah I get it. Thanks for the honesty!

Omg... you think there is a chance the school may shut down all together?

Omg... you think there is a chance the school may shut down all together?
It'd be crazy unlikely. This is a huge school. The schools at risk are the small universities that don't get the amount in tuition that we do. All universities have cash reserves for crises like this.

It'd be crazy unlikely. This is a huge school. The schools at risk are the small universities that don't get the amount in tuition that we do. All universities have cash reserves for crises like this.

I really appreciate the current student's optimism and how you all stand behind your school. More than anything else that speaks volumes about the school.

Reactions: 4 users
I really appreciate the current student's optimism and how you all stand behind your school. More than anything else that speaks volumes about the school.
Even our janitors are supportive, lol. One saw the look on my face right before our final and said "You'll be okay!" It's the little things.

no one got an email today correct? Just making sure, I'm so concerned the school never got my confirmation email... you know anxiety problems lol

Today was just the cut off for accepting the interview invite, not the day they are going to send responses. Be patient, they're coming!

Thanks to all who gave some positive outlooks to your school. Honestly, I applied here purely on the recommendations of others. I was very disappointed to hear of the problems going on. I have known the state of Illinois has been in trouble for some time, but didn't consider the effects on the university.
I'm still curious what caused a mass exodus of staff (as the college strategy page implies) I hoped to do research there, yet having witnessed professors fighting for tenure in a past life I have no desire put myself in that position. Does anyone know if that's a separate issue from the vet school?
I also wasn't worried about about the university shutting its doors as much as a sudden hike in tuition. (This happened to me in undergrad. 14% in two years was crippling)
Granted I get its all speculation. What you've said about the curriculum is great. I just don't want to put myself & my family in a bad spot where I can't maintain financially.

Thanks to all who gave some positive outlooks to your school. Honestly, I applied here purely on the recommendations of others. I was very disappointed to hear of the problems going on. I have known the state of Illinois has been in trouble for some time, but didn't consider the effects on the university.
I'm still curious what caused a mass exodus of staff (as the college strategy page implies) I hoped to do research there, yet having witnessed professors fighting for tenure in a past life I have no desire put myself in that position. Does anyone know if that's a separate issue from the vet school?
I also wasn't worried about about the university shutting its doors as much as a sudden hike in tuition. (This happened to me in undergrad. 14% in two years was crippling)
Granted I get its all speculation. What you've said about the curriculum is great. I just don't want to put myself & my family in a bad spot where I can't maintain financially.
Honestly, the mass exodus is with clinicians, not much the researchers. There's been a lot of conflicts within the faculty and tenure has been difficult for several professors to get. The school has been whipping down on doing more research so there should be opportunities. My learning doesn't seem to be damaged by all the changes, but it doesn't mean I'm super happy about it. Like I've mentioned before, we're working to get the budget fixed and find alternative funds to finish our classrooms so we have some place to put all of you. It'll hopefully be fixed by the fall, but I'm not completely optimistic about it. We'll see.

We are down a few faculty members starting next year, but I mean if they are offered a better job than where they are now...one is taking a hospital director position at another school (most people are pretty sad he's leaving, but he definitely wants to be in a decision making position). One is retiring last I checked. In reality, our mass exodus is 3-4. Those that are leaving do not have a significant role (one taught an elective) in the curriculum prior to clinics. It isn't affecting us right now.

IS tuition is going up 0.5%, OOS 2%. That's actually one of the lowest increases the school has done per the dean. Illinois is certainly not the cheapest OOS school to start with, though.

I just got my interview time! So glad mine is early in the morning so I can get it over with then enjoy the campus activities for the rest of the day.

We are down a few faculty members starting next year, but I mean if they are offered a better job than where they are now...one is taking a hospital director position at another school (most people are pretty sad he's leaving, but he definitely wants to be in a decision making position). One is retiring last I checked. In reality, our mass exodus is 3-4. Those that are leaving do not have a significant role (one taught an elective) in the curriculum prior to clinics. It isn't affecting us right now.

IS tuition is going up 0.5%, OOS 2%. That's actually one of the lowest increases the school has done per the dean. Illinois is certainly not the cheapest OOS school to start with, though.
That's not quite true. It's at least 10 professors that are either leaving or retiring. Dr. O'Brian, Dr. Mitchell, Dr. Dirikolu, Dr. Hale-Mitchell, Dr. Kulenschmidt, Dr. Paul, Dr. Hamer (not sure how to spell this one), and Dr. Ferguson are just the ones I can name off the top of my head. There's plenty more. It's still not affecting us that much because they've found decent replacements for most of the positions already, but it's a lot of people. It's just more than you've had the chance to meet yet as a 1st year. Dr. D, Dr. K, and Dr. Paul are all 2nd year professors and Dr. O'Brian teaches imaging only a little 1st year.

That's not quite true. It's at least 10 professors that are either leaving or retiring. Dr. O'Brian, Dr. Mitchell, Dr. Dirikolu, Dr. Hale-Mitchell, Dr. Kulenschmidt, Dr. Paul, Dr. Hamer (not sure how to spell this one), and Dr. Ferguson are just the ones I can name off the top of my head. There's plenty more. It's still not affecting us that much because they've found decent replacements for most of the positions already, but it's a lot of people. It's just more than you've had the chance to meet yet as a 1st year. Dr. D, Dr. K, and Dr. Paul are all 2nd year professors and Dr. O'Brian teaches imaging only a little 1st year.
Those names are a surprise! That hasn't trickled down to first years yet haha. Actually, Ferguson is supposedly staying on for another year.

Those names are a surprise! That hasn't trickled down to first years yet haha. Actually, Ferguson is supposedly staying on for another year.
He had a retirement party in December. Apparently we're not the only ones who like free food lol.

Anyone else get an interview time ???? Nothing here yet

Do you know the breakdown of IS vs. OOS??

As long as I'm not the only one who didn't get an interview time I will remain calm lol

I received my email this morning around 11:30am PST (OOS). My last name starts with L if anyone wanted to figure out a pattern to the emails.

No email. Last name starts with B (IS)