MPH University of Illinois - Chicago 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntriguedStudent

Oops
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make this thread to create discussion for anybody who has been accepted and is considering/plans to attend the University of Illinois - Chicago for their MPH in Fall 2015. Congrats! Feel free to post questions or comments regarding the school and their programs.

I have personally been accepted to the MPH in Epidemiology and am strongly considering attending. It looks like it's a great school and I am very interested to hear everybody's opinion. I don't personally have any experience with the city, so if you have any information to contribute on that part, I'd love to hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

I am still waiting on my acceptance/rejection from UIC!!! Congrats to you on your acceptance!! =D
How long did it take for you to hear back from them once your application was sent for review??

I am still waiting on my acceptance/rejection from UIC!!! Congrats to you on your acceptance!! =D
How long did it take for you to hear back from them once your application was sent for review??
Thanks! My SOPHAS was verified on 11/13 and I had already completed my supplemental application prior to that (11/1), so it definitely took me a while to hear back. The online portal had said that my application was "forwarded to college for review" pretty much right after my SOPHAS was verified. Even though I've been accepted, it still says that. From what I've read, they have been slow with updating their portal in past years as well, so I wouldn't really put much focus on checking that. Which concentration did you apply for?

Members don't see this ad :)
So they emailed you your acceptance correct?
Epi!

So they emailed you your acceptance correct?
Epi!
Yes, I received an acceptance e-mail from the department that I had been accepted. The e-mail mentioned that I still have to received an official acceptance from the graduate college. I believe that is just a formality, though.

How does UIC rank in your choices? I have never been to the area so I'm planning to make a trip up there in April (possibly for the admitted students day). Right now it's definitely looking like it could be at the top of my list.

I was verified on 12/3 and heard nothing back from them untll 1/26 saying I was recommended for admission. A couple of days later the portal was updated with my official acceptance.

I think I read a post on here from a while back saying the public health arena in Chicago is pretty limited so I was concerned about internships/jobs during school. I haven't talked to anyone from the school directly though.

Yes, I received an acceptance e-mail from the department that I had been accepted. The e-mail mentioned that I still have to received an official acceptance from the graduate college. I believe that is just a formality, though.

How does UIC rank in your choices? I have never been to the area so I'm planning to make a trip up there in April (possibly for the admitted students day). Right now it's definitely looking like it could be at the top of my list.

It's up there at the top with Boston (already accepted). I am still waiting on Columbia (long-shot but anything can happen) to start deciding. Chicago is a nice city! I talked to an admissions officer she said it won't be too long of a wait before I hear something.

I think I read a post on here from a while back saying the public health arena in Chicago is pretty limited so I was concerned about internships/jobs during school. I haven't talked to anyone from the school directly though.

Interesting. We probably have to talk with someone from there to get more information. Are you thinking about attending UIC?

Reactions: 1 user
I was verified on 12/3 and heard nothing back from them untll 1/26 saying I was recommended for admission. A couple of days later the portal was updated with my official acceptance.
Did you receive an e-mail from the department and from the graduate school? I've only heard from the department so far and they said I should receive the official acceptance from the graduate school soon. My e-mail from the department contained the paperwork for me to apply for financial aid and accept my offer, though.
I've heard rumors of that as well. I'm honestly not too worried though since UIC is really the only major MPH program in Chicago so there shouldn't be too much competition. The only other one I know of there is at Northwestern and they have a pretty small program.
It's up there at the top with Boston (already accepted). I am still waiting on Columbia (long-shot but anything can happen) to start deciding. Chicago is a nice city! I talked to an admissions officer she said it won't be too long of a wait before I hear something.
I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia as well. I love Columbia's location and their program is pretty good, but the cost scares me. It's the same issue I have with BU.

Did you receive an e-mail from the department and from the graduate school? I've only heard from the department so far and they said I should receive the official acceptance from the graduate school soon. My e-mail from the department contained the paperwork for me to apply for financial aid and accept my offer, though.

I've heard rumors of that as well. I'm honestly not too worried though since UIC is really the only major MPH program in Chicago so there shouldn't be too much competition. The only other one I know of there is at Northwestern and they have a pretty small program.

I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia as well. I love Columbia's location and their program is pretty good, but the cost scares me. It's the same issue I have with BU.

The costs scare me too, but I read a comment that said something like if you're going to take out loans the school better be worth it. So, Columbia, BU, and UIC are definitely worth it!!

Went on vacation this weekend and while I was gone I received my official acceptance from the graduate school at UIC. I know it was just a formality, but it felt really good to know that I am officially accepted!

Reactions: 2 users
Is anybody looking at applying to any of the concentrations? I'm really interested in the Global Health concentration but I'm not sure when I'm supposed to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody looking at applying to any of the concentrations? I'm really interested in the Global Health concentration but I'm not sure when I'm supposed to apply.

I'm interested in the Violence Studies concentration. Here's what the website says about that one: "All students intending to complete the Interdepartmental Graduate Concentration in Violence Studies are required to officially declare this intention at least two semesters prior to the semester in which the student is to graduate. Students are to declare their intent to enroll in this concentration in writing to the administrative unit (the Department of Criminology, Law, and Justice or the College of Social Work). Each student selecting the concentration must have an advisor who is affiliated with the Interdepartmental Graduate Concentration in Violence Studies administration or from one of the sponsoring units." Maybe Global Health is similar?

I'm interested in the Violence Studies concentration. Here's what the website says about that one: "All students intending to complete the Interdepartmental Graduate Concentration in Violence Studies are required to officially declare this intention at least two semesters prior to the semester in which the student is to graduate. Students are to declare their intent to enroll in this concentration in writing to the administrative unit (the Department of Criminology, Law, and Justice or the College of Social Work). Each student selecting the concentration must have an advisor who is affiliated with the Interdepartmental Graduate Concentration in Violence Studies administration or from one of the sponsoring units." Maybe Global Health is similar?
The Global Health concentration website tells me that the application is due 2 weeks from the start of the fall term. But it doesn't give any other information. I'd assume that means I can apply to start year 1 or year 2. It's only a 9 credit concentration, so it isn't too difficult to compound it with my other required coursework. I think I'm just going to have to contact the department to get more information. I'm also curious about how competitive it is.

I'm in at UIC, but for the MHA program, and am leaning heavily on attending. I do live in the city already, so if anyone has any questions about the city, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

I'm in at UIC, but for the MHA program, and am leaning heavily on attending. I do live in the city already, so if anyone has any questions about the city, I'd be happy to answer what I can.
I am not familiar at all with the city, so any input you have would be great! Do you have any suggestions on good neighborhoods? Preferably I'd like to live in a relatively safe and dog friendly (me and my fiance have a couple pups!) area, while staying within a reasonable budget. How necessary is it to have a car for commuting from most places to downtown and/or the UIC campus itself? I've always lived in cities where a car was a necessity, so the idea of giving up one is a bit scary!

I am not familiar at all with the city, so any input you have would be great! Do you have any suggestions on good neighborhoods? Preferably I'd like to live in a relatively safe and dog friendly (me and my fiance have a couple pups!) area, while staying within a reasonable budget. How necessary is it to have a car for commuting from most places to downtown and/or the UIC campus itself? I've always lived in cities where a car was a necessity, so the idea of giving up one is a bit scary!
One thing I don't think alot of people are aware of is that the SPH isn't really on the main campus, but it's in the medical district, which is about 3/4 mile to the west. That being said, you may have classes on the main campus as well, so I don't know. Nestled in between the two campuses is the aptly named "University Village" or "Little Italy." Most of my resident friends lived in this area, and you get a good bang for your buck in the neighborhood. The Medical Campus and the main campus are both serviced by the 24-hour blue line, though the pink line is closer to the actual SPH. Bucktown/Wicker Park is located on the blue line and is a great area for people to live, though I'm not certain what a "reasonable budget" would be in your case. I currently live in Lincoln Park, which is on the more expensive side, but it's arguably the safest area. It's also right on the brown/red lines which can be taken down to the pink or blue lines with relative ease. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are probably the two most "young professional" areas, but also more expensive, and don't leave quick access to the campus in all cases.
I would say that the surrounding areas of University Village, West Town(access campus by bus), and Ukranian Village would probably be the best to meet your needs.
On a car, I would say that you CAN have one, but absolutely do not need one. I have a car, and probably drive maybe once or twice a month. I would suggest that if you do not have kids that you need to shuffle around, I would get rid of it, as it's probably a bigger hassle than not having one. The CTA has an incredible reach and is more than reliable a good 90% of the time. I ride my bike everywhere in the summer, so I'm okay living a few miles north of the school if need be.

That may help, but let me know if you have any other questions. I would suggest just take a glance at GoogleMaps and the CTA(www.transitchicago.com) maps and this rant my make a little bit more sense.

One thing I don't think alot of people are aware of is that the SPH isn't really on the main campus, but it's in the medical district, which is about 3/4 mile to the west. That being said, you may have classes on the main campus as well, so I don't know. Nestled in between the two campuses is the aptly named "University Village" or "Little Italy." Most of my resident friends lived in this area, and you get a good bang for your buck in the neighborhood. The Medical Campus and the main campus are both serviced by the 24-hour blue line, though the pink line is closer to the actual SPH. Bucktown/Wicker Park is located on the blue line and is a great area for people to live, though I'm not certain what a "reasonable budget" would be in your case. I currently live in Lincoln Park, which is on the more expensive side, but it's arguably the safest area. It's also right on the brown/red lines which can be taken down to the pink or blue lines with relative ease. Lincoln Park and Lakeview are probably the two most "young professional" areas, but also more expensive, and don't leave quick access to the campus in all cases.
I would say that the surrounding areas of University Village, West Town(access campus by bus), and Ukranian Village would probably be the best to meet your needs.
On a car, I would say that you CAN have one, but absolutely do not need one. I have a car, and probably drive maybe once or twice a month. I would suggest that if you do not have kids that you need to shuffle around, I would get rid of it, as it's probably a bigger hassle than not having one. The CTA has an incredible reach and is more than reliable a good 90% of the time. I ride my bike everywhere in the summer, so I'm okay living a few miles north of the school if need be.

That may help, but let me know if you have any other questions. I would suggest just take a glance at GoogleMaps and the CTA(www.transitchicago.com) maps and this rant my make a little bit more sense.
I guess a reasonable budget for me would be roughly $1000-$1500 for a 1-2 BR. I've looked at both Lincoln Park and Lakeview. From what I can tell, they seemed like great areas so I'm glad to hear that is the case. I'm looking to try to keep my commute to campus within 45-60 minutes.

I'm glad to see that a car isn't necessary. I would definitely like to get rid of mine. It seems that the parking situation for most areas is pretty limited. Between both me and my fiance we have two cars, so we'll probably just end up selling one off if CTA is pretty reliable.

I'm very excited to be moving to Chicago! From all of my research, it seems like such an amazing city. Planning to make a trip up there in April to do my official exploration of the city since we will likely be moving up there early on in the summer.

Congrats to all of you that have been accepted.

I am still waiting to hear from them, and they are very high on my list. I am originally from the Southwest suburbs, but will be probably be staying in the city, once accepted. I think that I am one of the few people that didn't submit my application super early, so I will probably be very late hearing back. Fingers crossed.

I am still waiting to hear from them, and they are very high on my list. I am originally from the Southwest suburbs, but will be probably be staying in the city, once accepted. I think that I am one of the few people that didn't submit my application super early, so I will probably be very late hearing back. Fingers crossed.

I'm guessing you'll hear very soon. I received my notification last week, and an official one today.

You should hear soon. Their preview day is April 2nd, so I'm sure they want to have most of their offers sent out before then.

Has anyone applied to the concentration HPA for the MPH program at UIC?

They just began to review my application yesterday it's my #2 school of choice

I also applied to the HPA concentration at UIC. Did you call to find out that they just began to review your app?

Have you received your official acceptance in the mail yet? I was recommended for admission in mid-February and received my official acceptance via e-mail about a week after that. The e-mail said that my acceptance letter had also been mailed to me, but I have yet to receive it.

I also applied to the HPA concentration at UIC. Did you call to find out that they just began to review your app?

No they actually they just sent me an email telling me my application is now under review.

I know there is an interview component for HPA, but there isn't anything online for info and when I emailed to ask about the process I was given even less info about it.

I was hoping to get a better understanding of the process.

No they actually they just sent me an email telling me my application is now under review.

I know there is an interview component for HPA, but there isn't anything online for info and when I emailed to ask about the process I was given even less info about it.

I was hoping to get a better understanding of the process.

I didn't attend any info sessions, but online I don't remember seeing anything about an interview for UIC. Where did you see that?

I didn't attend any info sessions, but online I don't remember seeing anything about an interview for UIC. Where did you see that?

Most MPH programs with a concentration in HPA, HMP, HPM (health policy management/admin) lol has an interview process

(Not all schools) but I specifically emailed UIC and asked them if their HPA program has an interview component and this was the response (and you're right nothing says it online):

"Yes, you will be notified if the committee deems and interview is necessary."

Still patiently waiting on anything from UIC!

Reactions: 1 users
Really late. Like in January. I e-mailed them a couple of weeks ago and they said within 3-4 weeks I should hear something. Do you know when there admitted students day is?

Really late. Like in January. I e-mailed them a couple of weeks ago and they said within 3-4 weeks I should hear something. Do you know when there admitted students day is?
Their admitted student's day is April 2nd. They requested everybody RSVP by March 26, so I assume you should hear something before then!

Oh ok I hope I hear back this week so that if I get accepted I can plan ahead for that day. Most likely going to BU's on March 26th.

Oh ok I hope I hear back this week so that if I get accepted I can plan ahead for that day. Most likely going to BU's on March 26th.
Well I wish you luck!

If anybody does end up going to UIC's Admitted Students Day, feel free to post about it here. I, unfortunately, will not be able to attend due to work constraints (why do you choose to have it on a Thursday????:annoyed:).

Thank you!
Thursday is a horrible day to choose for Admitted Students Day.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems as if April 2nd is really fast when the application isn't due until Mar 15th. There is almost no way that UIC will get to the students that fast. I still haven't even gotten a confirmation email that they received my application from SOPHAS.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems as if April 2nd is really fast when the application isn't due until Mar 15th. There is almost no way that UIC will get to the students that fast. I still haven't even gotten a confirmation email that they received my application from SOPHAS.
Well maybe they will have a later one as well? I applied way back in November and they started reviewing applications at the beginning of January. April 2nd is late enough for the first round of applicants, but it might be difficult for those that applied later in the cycle.

I think it depends on when you've sent in your app... I'm not sure why SPH schools do not cohesively have a set date on releasing decisions

(i.e.., dental schools release decisions 12/1 every year then it becomes rolling after that).

I don't want to make multiple seat deposits to save my seat at schools :-/ I'd love a $ tree but I don't have one

Haha. And UIC isn't exactly inexpensive to apply to.

Hey everyone!

So I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but: I was accepted to the CHS track for the UIC MPH. However, I'm considering switching to HPA. Does anyone know how doable that is?

Hey everyone!

So I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but: I was accepted to the CHS track for the UIC MPH. However, I'm considering switching to HPA. Does anyone know how doable that is?

I think you'll have to re-apply to the program. HPA has an interview component

EIDT: I would contact Shirley DuBos at UIC asap she's the student coordinator for HPA. I know for example at UMich its not possible to switch since every concentration has its own admissions committee and therefore you would have to re-apply for HMP specifically.

Last edited:
For those of you that live in Chicago or plan to attend UIC, what are some essentials for somebody moving up there from the south? I have essentially zero winter gear and don't even know where to start!

For those of you that live in Chicago or plan to attend UIC, what are some essentials for somebody moving up there from the south? I have essentially zero winter gear and don't even know where to start!

Lol it's beautiful during the summer by the riverfront!!!

But during the winter you're going to need sweaters, coats, boots, gloves, hats, socks, thermal gear etc... It's no joke of a winter. Especially downtown it's the Windy City and you're going to get it colder because of the riverfront!

It's a different experience but I think you'll have from August to November to adjust.

Plenty of stores to purchase clothing from. Just FYI don't buy anything from downtown it's 9% sales tax and 7% in the suburbs (also easier to shop in an indoor mall). You're definitely need to be gearing up.

There's a huge part of me that wants to attend UIC just to stay in Chicago. Love it here!

Lol it's beautiful during the summer by the riverfront!!!

But during the winter you're going to need sweaters, coats, boots, gloves, hats, socks, thermal gear etc... It's no joke of a winter. Especially downtown it's the Windy City and you're going to get it colder because of the riverfront!

It's a different experience but I think you'll have from August to November to adjust.

Plenty of stores to purchase clothing from. Just FYI don't buy anything from downtown it's 9% sales tax and 7% in the suburbs (also easier to shop in an indoor mall). You're definitely need to be gearing up.

There's a huge part of me that wants to attend UIC just to stay in Chicago. Love it here!
It'll definitely be a different experience for me, but I'm pretty excited! I'll actually be moving up there early summer, so I'll get to experience some of the nice summer weather before being thrown into the brutal winter.

It'll definitely be a different experience for me, but I'm pretty excited! I'll actually be moving up there early summer, so I'll get to experience some of the nice summer weather before being thrown into the brutal winter.

For sure! I personally love having all 4 seasons, but I was born and raised in the midwest haha so I may be bias.

But back to your Q(s) you'll definitely need to bundle up in the winter; it can be brutal. I still have the marks of wind-burns on my ankle from November. Its a greatly diverse culture, you've got a little bit of everything. I admire the fast pace city and life. Most of my friends have already jump started their careers at 21/22 here. I definitely appreciate the ambition.

CTA lines aren't too shabby (though NYC has a better system) its still manageable. Uber is always a cheap(er)/Taxi like way to get around.

EDIT: Not sure if you have a car, but I do believe UIC has a lot of parking (not free obvi, one of these days we're going to have to pay tax on breathing) but I would bring a car if I had one but its not necessary. My car lease will be up by the time school begins so I am personally debating on wether or not I want to have the burden.

Last edited:
I would definitely suggest having an appreciation for how truly large, physically, the city is. Understanding this, makes knowing that it tends to take a lot longer than you might think to get from point A to point B on the daily. Especially UIC, and even more so the SPH campus. Those are my 2 cents.
Also it's cold. Very cold. And it's cold for a really long time. You seem pretty aware of that, but it's still going to be shocking.

Reactions: 1 users
I am originally from there and I will hopefully be attending. It is truly cold, and the wind chill is crazy. The summers are hot, but that shouldn't bother you as much. The biggest thing about winter there is that you'll need to layer. You can shop online and do pretty well.
But, it's also very beautiful and easy to navigate, once you get the lay of the land.

Did anyone receive the invitation to admitted students day that indicated an official acceptance would be following? If so, how long did it take to get the official acceptance? Thanks!