MPH University of Illinois - Chicago 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I may actually be doing some summer training and UIC, and for that I'll be commuting, so I can see how bad that will be.

Members don't see this ad.

@Orhcidmph that's a lot of credits. I've been looking at mostly studios, but I would be open to renting a room. Unfortunately, most people are looking for female roommates, alas, I don't fit that mold; although I live with 3 females now..
Security is a lot less of a concern for me as long as I'm not in a heavy gang/drug area. I'm lucky that I can give up a gated community or doorman, for a little more space.

I get to town around May 10th, I'll probably come up the following week to look around the areas. Just sucks, because I can only price things, but won't be moving until August.

Lol I just want to be as comfortable as possible, and my rents want me to be as safe as possible.

So apparently you have to go via a relator for a lot of places (not all) but that's what I'm being told when I was calling places in the loop, south loop and all the other places I mentioned above. My head was spinning last few days every time I called too see a place I was told I needed to call a relator -_- but luckily I know a few people who are looking for roommates which makes my budget work and go down a few hundred as well

What's your budget?

What's your budget?

Ideally, I want to stay under $1000, after utilities and Internet, depending on space. That comes out to about $800 in rent for a studio, and gives me some cushion. For the right apt/room, I'd go up to $1200, but that would have to have a w/d in unit, and a pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ideally, I want to stay under $1000, after utilities and Internet, depending on space. That comes out to about $800 in rent for a studio, and gives me some cushion. For the right apt/room, I'd go up to $1200, but that would have to have a w/d in unit, and a pool.

Lol I'd love a place for free! I'm sure you can find that & a pool if you have a relator with MLS access they have private listings to the owners of the apartment(s) and what not.

I found my relator via a mutual friend.

I hadn't really thought about a realtor. Good call.

I hadn't really thought about a realtor. Good call.

Lol I literally could not see a single place without one :) if I come across anything around your budget I'll let you know. How many sqft are you looking for?

Lol I literally could not see a single place without one :) if I come across anything around your budget I'll let you know. How many sqft are you looking for?

Thanks that would be awesome.

Ummm, I don't really know about size. That hasn't really been something I've looked at honestly. I guess I'd have to investigate that more, I've just been paying attention to whether or not the bedroom is easily distinguishable from the living area. I guess 800 sounds right? I don't really know, I need to investigate that.

OK, just checked with a friend. 550 sqft would be fine.

OK, just checked with a friend. 550 sqft would be fine.

My studio in the suburbs is 517 and its ample of space; just see the layout of the place of you like it

I'll PM you some places once I find it and the name of a relator as well

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. I really appreciate that.
First beer of the semester is on me.

hi all,
if anyone would wanna share realtor info with me that'd be amazing :) i'm coming from san diego so i'm totally clueless haha

but regardless i'm so excited! :clap:

Lol I just want to be as comfortable as possible, and my rents want me to be as safe as possible.

So apparently you have to go via a relator for a lot of places (not all) but that's what I'm being told when I was calling places in the loop, south loop and all the other places I mentioned above. My head was spinning last few days every time I called too see a place I was told I needed to call a relator -_- but luckily I know a few people who are looking for roommates which makes my budget work and go down a few hundred as well

What's your budget?
You have to go through a realtor for places in those areas? So strange. I guess it makes sense due to the loop apartments being in high demand, but only a few of the places I looked at in the northern neighborhoods required that. If you're open to roommates, I definitely vote you look into that. Not only is the rent cut great, but it makes life a lot easier!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to go through a realtor for places in those areas? So strange. I guess it makes sense due to the loop apartments being in high demand, but only a few of the places I looked at in the northern neighborhoods required that. If you're open to roommates, I definitely vote you look into that. Not only is the rent cut great, but it makes life a lot easier!

Yes I was kinda confused @ first. In the suburbs I made a call to the property management saw the place and called it a day!

Luckily a friend of mine is moving out of her place and is looking for a new place, so hopefully it works out :)

Last edited:
Question... did anyone receive their financial aid package prior to submitting a deposit?
I emailed the HPA department about a week ago and no response yet; wanted to know what I am getting myself into. As well as how much parking will cost me if I decide to keep a car to put everything into my budget and get a better idea of where I am at

Last edited:
Question... did anyone receive their financial aid package prior to submitting a deposit?
I emailed the HPA department about a week ago and no response yet; wanted to know what I am getting myself into. As well as how much parking will cost me if I decide to keep a car to put everything into my budget and get a better idea of where I am at
I did not get mine until after I paid my deposit, but that may have been because I paid mine pretty early. The financial aid package doesn't specify the cost of parking, it just gives a general "transportation" estimate. Keep in mind that you will be paying a $140/semester mandatory fee (if you're full time) for the U-pass (unlimited CTA rides!) and the pink line drops off ~2 blocks from the school. If you're looking at living around the loop (based on your previous posts), I think it'd honestly be a better option to just take the CTA in. I haven't looked at the cost of parking since I won't be bringing my car, but I'd assume it's pretty pricey.

I did not get mine until after I paid my deposit, but that may have been because I paid mine pretty early. The financial aid package doesn't specify the cost of parking, it just gives a general "transportation" estimate. Keep in mind that you will be paying a $140/semester mandatory fee (if you're full time) for the U-pass (unlimited CTA rides!) and the pink line drops off ~2 blocks from the school. If you're looking at living around the loop (based on your previous posts), I think it'd honestly be a better option to just take the CTA in. I haven't looked at the cost of parking since I won't be bringing my car, but I'd assume it's pretty pricey.
It's around $900 a year, $350 a semester.

FYI, the U-pass is only unlimited when classes are in session. During breaks, you have to feed it with moneys in order to ride. This is something I've noticed a lot of U-Pass users are unfamiliar with. But that U-Pass unlimited fee is WAY less than what the rest of us pay for a monthly unlimited pass.

It's around $900 a year, $350 a semester.

FYI, the U-pass is only unlimited when classes are in session. During breaks, you have to feed it with moneys in order to ride. This is something I've noticed a lot of U-Pass users are unfamiliar with. But that U-Pass unlimited fee is WAY less than what the rest of us pay for a monthly unlimited pass.
Yikes. I figured it'd be roughly around that, though. Schools here in ATL charge upwards of $700. Space is at a higher premium in Chicago.

Yeah, I did notice that recently. It'll hurt having to load it with rides over the breaks, but that $140/semester deal is amazing compared to the $100/month (I think?) it costs everybody else. Do you know if you have to feed it money during something like Spring Break? Or is it only the Holiday and Summer breaks?

Yikes. I figured it'd be roughly around that, though. Schools here in ATL charge upwards of $700. Space is at a higher premium in Chicago.

Yeah, I did notice that recently. It'll hurt having to load it with rides over the breaks, but that $140/semester deal is amazing compared to the $100/month (I think?) it costs everybody else. Do you know if you have to feed it money during something like Spring Break? Or is it only the Holiday and Summer breaks?
I believe only on the breaks between semesters. During the shorter breaks (spring, thanksgiving) the semester is still "in session" so you'd be okay. But don't quote me on that.

My letter says I have until May 15th, but my advisor said June 15th lol May 15th sounds more accurate to pay my deposit. I just wanted to wait it out a little bit longer until I hear if I came off the wait list @ Columbia. I didn't think the fin.aid would include parking but I just wanted to know if someone knew since that question also didn't get answered :/

I'm leaning more towards South Loop since most places offer @ least 1 free parking spot in garage; and the places seem a bit bigger... But I did find a nice place with all utilities included in the Loop. I guess ill figure it out once I actually see the places vs just online shopping lol

I got my financial aid package after my deposit was 'paid' (although I got it waived).
I just emailed my package off requesting an Assistantship. It was kind of a weird app for the Epi/Biostats program

I got my financial aid package after my deposit was 'paid' (although I got it waived).
I just emailed my package off requesting an Assistantship. It was kind of a weird app for the Epi/Biostats program

I'm going to wait it out until Monday. If I hear nothing today, I'm going to write my deposit to UIC.

As much as I would love to get off the waitlist @ Columbia, I'm starting to lean towards UIC a bit more and I believe mainly because I'll be able to stay in Chicago and I'll have the same opportunities at UIC that I would at Columbia post-graduation

Only thing is I wish UIC had a global health certificate :/ I'll see what I can do about that. I'd really like to do more humanitarian work overseas before I start working so I have these next two years to make it happen!

I know they have the Global Health concentration, so classes exist.

I know they have the Global Health concentration, so classes exist.

Yes which is why I'm hoping it'll work! But I didn't see anything listed per say on the website

We'll see lol I guess first I need to see what's going on with Columbia and take it from there

Yes which is why I'm hoping it'll work! But I didn't see anything listed per say on the website

We'll see lol I guess first I need to see what's going on with Columbia and take it from there
The Global Health interdepartmental concentration seems pretty good. From what I gathered when I spoke with them, the majority of their graduates remain in global health focused work, many of them overseas.

The Global Health interdepartmental concentration seems pretty good. From what I gathered when I spoke with them, the majority of their graduates remain in global health focused work, many of them overseas.

I just wanted to do a certificate in global health; Columbia had a 6 month overseas practicum I was interested in. I want to see if UIC can accommodate the same experience for me somehow

I just wanted to do a certificate in global health; Columbia had a 6 month overseas practicum I was interested in. I want to see if UIC can accommodate the same experience for me somehow
I'm actually not really sure what the difference is between a certificate and the interdepartmental concentrations. They seem pretty similar from what I've seen. The concentration only adds 2 required classes and an elective (which can double count for your main concentration). The practicum doesn't have to be overseas, but it does seem that the majority of students do theirs in another country. The only thing is, I don't think you'd be able to fit in 6 months worth. I suggest contacting Alyson Lofthouse. She could provide you with more information if you're interested.

One thing that I'll miss from being in DC is the practicum choices. Buy, UIC has some great options, and you can even frame your choices. You can go mostly anywhere and they'll help you find something useful.

I'm screwed because no school is going to let me go to the Middle East. Lol!

I'm actually not really sure what the difference is between a certificate and the interdepartmental concentrations. They seem pretty similar from what I've seen. The concentration only adds 2 required classes and an elective (which can double count for your main concentration). The practicum doesn't have to be overseas, but it does seem that the majority of students do theirs in another country. The only thing is, I don't think you'd be able to fit in 6 months worth. I suggest contacting Alyson Lofthouse. She could provide you with more information if you're interested.

You can use the certificate as an enhancement for your concentration; or in my case I want to incorporate a humanitarian aspect by obtaining a Global Health certificate as my concentration will be Health Policy and Administration. Definitely will not be able to fit in a 6 month practicum via school the way I would be able too at Columbia but I prefer being overseas no longer than 1-3 months at a time.

What is Alyson Lofthouse's role at UIC? Sorry, I just haven't heard of her until now.

Last edited:
You can use the certificate as an enhancement for your concentration; or in my case I want to incorporate a humanitarian aspect by obtaining a Global Health certificate as my concentration will be Health Policy and Administration. Definitely will not be able to fit in a 6 month practicum via school the way I would be able too at Columbia but I prefer being overseas no longer than 1-3 months at a time.
She's the program coordinator for the Global Health interdepartmental concentration. I spoke with her when I was up in Chicago last week and she was able to provide me with some pretty useful information. I'm planning to pick up that concentration to add a global focus to my epidemiology concentration, so I imagine it works pretty similarly to certificates at most other schools since UIC doesn't offer too much in the way of certificates. It's only an additional 9 hours, so it's still easy to finish in 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's the program coordinator for the Global Health interdepartmental concentration. I spoke with her when I was up in Chicago last week and she was able to provide me with some pretty useful information. I'm planning to pick up that concentration to add a global focus to my epidemiology concentration, so I imagine it works pretty similarly to certificates at most other schools since UIC doesn't offer too much in the way of certificates. It's only an additional 9 hours, so it's still easy to finish in 2 years.

Will definitely look into it this week! See if we can work something out, if not I am sure their other alternatives. I did most of humanitarian work in South Africa from group organizations over the summer. I'm going to have to call Columbia tomorrow AM I need a definite response from them; if I decide to make other arrangements.

So I guess I was confused because Columbia uses different lingo

From UIC:

A concentration is something that you can add to a degree at the school, such as the Global Health Concentration.

Certificate programs are standalone programs that students can pursue outside of a degree seeking program. They are sets of 4-5 online courses and the student is awarded a Certificate after completing the necessary courses. Degree seeking students can pursue a Certificate concurrently with their degree, but it is relatively uncommon.

Is anyone going to add a certificate and concentration to their degree?
Lol I wanted to add Global Health Concentration and a Public Health Management Certificate to my degree

Is anyone going to add a certificate and concentration to their degree?
Lol I wanted to add Global Health Concentration and a Public Health Management Certificate to my degree
I'm planning to add the Global Health Concentration as well! Very interested in it.

I'm planning to add the Global Health Concentration as well! Very interested in it.

Me too! Very interested; but I also want that certificate in public health management that'll give me a boost in my career post-graduation. I just hope I'm not spreading myself too thin with everything I want too do.

Me too! Very interested; but I also want that certificate in public health management that'll give me a boost in my career post-graduation. I just hope I'm not spreading myself too thin with everything I want too do.
I'm worried about that as well! It almost feels like two years won't be enough time to get everything done that I'd like to accomplish. I think it's probably just going to be a pretty fast-paced couple of years. I'm getting really excited though - August needs to come sooner!

I'm worried about that as well! It almost feels like two years won't be enough time to get everything done that I'd like to accomplish. I think it's probably just going to be a pretty fast-paced couple of years. I'm getting really excited though - August needs to come sooner!

I think if we know what we want before we start and get it planned out well we should be fine! I'm thinking maybe I can work on my certificate over the summer while I'm doing my practicum since its online courses

I think if we know what we want before we start and get it planned out well we should be fine! I'm thinking maybe I can work on my certificate over the summer while I'm doing my practicum since its online courses
Yeah, I think it'll be easiest to add some courses over the summer, especially if you're looking at doing both. When I spoke to UIC about the Global Health Concentration, they said that most people still finish on time without taking summer classes.

Yeah, I think it'll be easiest to add some courses over the summer, especially if you're looking at doing both. When I spoke to UIC about the Global Health Concentration, they said that most people still finish on time without taking summer classes.

What do you plan to do with the Global Health concentration? I'm still waiting for Alyson to email me back, and I have too email someone in regards to the certificates as well! lol I want to do everything! There are 3/4 certificates I'm interested in! I'll see if some of them overlap with one another

What do you plan to do with the Global Health concentration? I'm still waiting for Alyson to email me back, and I have too email someone in regards to the certificates as well! lol I want to do everything! There are 3/4 certificates I'm interested in! I'll see if some of them overlap with one another
I'm really interested in infectious disease epi, so I'm hoping to be able to use it to get some focus on that in a global setting. I'm stuck between HIV/AIDS surveillance/prevention protocol evaluation and drug resistant disease surveillance. I'd like for most of my focus to be in either Africa or Latin America. Having a tough time figuring out which I'm more interested in though! I'm also considering picking up the GIS certificate. So many options to consider!

I'm really interested in infectious disease epi, so I'm hoping to be able to use it to get some focus on that in a global setting. I'm stuck between HIV/AIDS surveillance/prevention protocol evaluation and drug resistant disease surveillance. I'd like for most of my focus to be in either Africa or Latin America. Having a tough time figuring out which I'm more interested in though! I'm also considering picking up the GIS certificate. So many options to consider!

I feel ya! So many options, but I'm really loving it! Its making me more comfortable picking UIC... Kinda hoping now Columbia keeps me on that waitlist haha!

Finally made it back to the area this past weekend. Gonna take a week to myself, then maybe go visit the campus the week or two after, assuming finals are this week or next. Then it's time to start seriously approaching the apartment hunt. I'm excited to get started, and wish I could fast forward to August. It's weird not getting any correspondence from schools in my "professional gmail" or UIC account.

Reactions: 1 users
Finally made it back to the area this past weekend. Gonna take a week to myself, then maybe go visit the campus the week or two after, assuming finals are this week or next. Then it's time to start seriously approaching the apartment hunt. I'm excited to get started, and wish I could fast forward to August. It's weird not getting any correspondence from schools in my "professional gmail" or UIC account.

Has my realtor ever gotten back too you? He's ignoring my life lol

I haven't actually contacted him yet. I was going to wait until I made it to town.

I haven't actually contacted him yet. I was going to wait until I made it to town.

Hmmm :/ lol it's been a week nothing; I'm going to look for another person. Are we going to need too lease over the summer as well?

UIC's been so slow with responding to my questions like over a week slow

Hmmm :/ lol it's been a week nothing; I'm going to look for another person. Are we going to need too lease over the summer as well?

UIC's been so slow with responding to my questions like over a week slow
Who have you contacted over there? I haven't contacted them recently, but they've been great about responding to me in the past.

Who have you contacted over there? I haven't contacted them recently, but they've been great about responding to me in the past.

My email was FWD by the admissions director to the appropriate person(S) to answer my questions but no one has contacted me back

Also no response from Alyson Lofthouse or the other individual for the certificate I was interested in

So I'm still waiting 3 to 4 emails back from UIC

My email was FWD by the admissions director to the appropriate person(S) to answer my questions but no one has contacted me back

Also no response from Alyson Lofthouse or the other individual for the certificate I was interested in

So I'm still waiting 3 to 4 emails back from UIC

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time with them via email. Have you thought about just going up/over there?

And, I'm looking at moving mid August. I might get into a summer mentorship program for July, but I would probably commute if I got accepted.

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time with them via email. Have you thought about just going up/over there?

And, I'm looking at moving mid August. I might get into a summer mentorship program for July, but I would probably commute if I got accepted.

I have its a bit of a drive especially in rush hour could be 1.5 hours :/ plus I'm not sure where I'd even go lol

I'll send them another email or call I guess