MPH University of Illinois - Chicago 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For any UIC current/former students? What bibliographic software do you use? Is there a program standard, or is it just whatever we want?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm waiting too
Or are they done with acceptances and rejections

For any UIC current/former students? What bibliographic software do you use? Is there a program standard, or is it just whatever we want?

The UIC library supports RefWorks, which is a paid web-based reference library that is free to students. Alumni can continue to use RefWorks for free or a discounted price (not sure) after graduation. I've never used it so I can't comment on it, but the library does offer tutorials on it regularly.

I use Zotero for school and work, which is a free browser-based reference manager that detects citeable material in websites you visit, and downloads the metadata. It can also run in a stand-alone window, sync across devices, and attempt to create references from PDF metadata. There is a free web-based version of your library and syncing the PDFs themselves is available for a fee (personally I just save them in Google Drive). I like it because it's easy to install on anything, it has an active academic user base so it has good documentation, and it can index PDFs and rename them based on reference data so it keeps your folders clean and can be used as a file browser for all your journal articles wherever they may be stored.

I've never run into any requirement that I use a particular reference manager; IME people don't care as long as your work is cited correctly. When I got my first lit review job at UIC my boss encouraged me to install whatever software I wanted because I would be the primary person using it anyway. If you're collaborating on something, you can always write in-text references as you go and assign one group member to add formatted references at the end of a project. That's what I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
The UIC library supports RefWorks, which is a paid web-based reference library that is free to students. Alumni can continue to use RefWorks for free or a discounted price (not sure) after graduation. I've never used it so I can't comment on it, but the library does offer tutorials on it regularly.

I use Zotero for school and work, which is a free browser-based reference manager that detects citeable material in websites you visit, and downloads the metadata. It can also run in a stand-alone window, sync across devices, and attempt to create references from PDF metadata. There is a free web-based version of your library and syncing the PDFs themselves is available for a fee (personally I just save them in Google Drive). I like it because it's easy to install on anything, it has an active academic user base so it has good documentation, and it can index PDFs and rename them based on reference data so it keeps your folders clean and can be used as a file browser for all your journal articles wherever they may be stored.

I've never run into any requirement that I use a particular reference manager; IME people don't care as long as your work is cited correctly. When I got my first lit review job at UIC my boss encouraged me to install whatever software I wanted because I would be the primary person using it anyway. If you're collaborating on something, you can always write in-text references as you go and assign one group member to add formatted references at the end of a project. That's what I do.

Thanks a lot.
I used Zotero all through undergrad, it was actual developed my school.

I think I'll play with refworks a little too.

Couple of things,

*Heard back from the waitlists. Despite the Columbia acceptance, I decided to accept UIC's admission :D
*Heard that I needed to meet with Liliana Aceves so I can start to schedule my classes. I also heard that she was back in the city two days ago and hasn't returned my emails to make an appointment.
*I REALLY need to know my schedule because I am currently working in the city and would like to see if it's ideal to keep my job as I go back to school.

Any suggestions?

Liliana is usually great with emails. She took some time off a couple weeks ago, so she may be catching up; she was there most of the summer.
If you're in the city, can you stop by the campus sometime? Her door is usually open.

Question...

Are we suppose to login and register for our own classes? OR is already done for us? ---still have not met with my advisor and I'm getting nervous!

Question...

Are we suppose to login and register for our own classes? OR is already done for us? ---still have not met with my advisor and I'm getting nervous!

Yes, you are supposed to log in and register yourself.

You should go to my.UIC.edu and try to log in (there should be a place to activate your NetID if you haven't done so yet). If you navigate to the registration section, there is a tool to check any holds on your account. If there are no holds and you know what you're supposed to take, use registration self-service (I find the "look up courses" option the easiest to use) to go ahead and register.

If you do have an advising hold, start trying to get it resolved. Make some kind of contact with your advisor, even if it's just by phone or email, to introduce yourself and run your plans by them for any electives you get. I only talked on the phone with my advisor before registering and it was fine. However, I did have to ask in person that my hold be lifted on orientation day because Liliana had been unexpectedly out of the office.

It's not a big deal to not be registered yet at this point, probably lots of people are in your position right now. Just do it as soon as you know the advising hold is lifted. I don't know anyone who couldn't get into a required class in the semester they were supposed to take it, and for absolute requirements (e.g. Epid 406 for first semester epi people) they will hold seats to make sure the people who need the class for their program get in first.

Yes, you are supposed to log in and register yourself.

You should go to my.UIC.edu and try to log in (there should be a place to activate your NetID if you haven't done so yet). If you navigate to the registration section, there is a tool to check any holds on your account. If there are no holds and you know what you're supposed to take, use registration self-service (I find the "look up courses" option the easiest to use) to go ahead and register.

If you do have an advising hold, start trying to get it resolved. Make some kind of contact with your advisor, even if it's just by phone or email, to introduce yourself and run your plans by them for any electives you get. I only talked on the phone with my advisor before registering and it was fine. However, I did have to ask in person that my hold be lifted on orientation day because Liliana had been unexpectedly out of the office.

It's not a big deal to not be registered yet at this point, probably lots of people are in your position right now. Just do it as soon as you know the advising hold is lifted. I don't know anyone who couldn't get into a required class in the semester they were supposed to take it, and for absolute requirements (e.g. Epid 406 for first semester epi people) they will hold seats to make sure the people who need the class for their program get in first.

Thanks! I appreciate all the advice!

hey guys! I'm a mph Epi student entering this year :]

i was just wondering, would anyone who is registered in the MW integrated core be able to switch spots with me for the T/R core??? I really want to take biochemistry but I can't take it unless someone switches with me !!! Please please please help me out!