University of Illinois, Chicago Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.35 PharmCAS
3.54 Chicago Prereq.
89 PCAT Composite

Members don't see this ad.

Just when I thought I had my pharmacy plans all figured out I received the UIC interview today! I am excited to say the least.

30 min interview slots? No tour, QnA, etc? Not the best first impression from UIC to me.

That's what it seems, but UIC was by far the best interview experience I've had so far. My interview was at 11:00 am, and when I got in at 10:15, they immediately took me on a tour because I was so early. If you get in closer to your interview time, then you go on a tour after your interview.

There are plenty of times during the tour (which is personalized, as there's only one or two people on the tour at one time) to ask questions. Basically you have the whole thirty minute tour to ask questions, you can ask questions after your interview, during your interview, at the airport when you're going home (they responded to questions the next day). It's awesome.

The whole thing also took only about an hour and a half. I was out of the door by 11:45 am. I liked the interview a lot because it was efficient and helpful. No wasted time. At some of my other interviews, I had literally a two hour tour of just three buildings (honestly, how many lecture halls do I need to see?) a one hour writing sample, half an hour interview, and something like 20 minutes of waiting time in between each section that was wasted just by sitting idly in a waiting room.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what it seems, but UIC was by far the best interview experience I've had so far. My interview was at 11:00 am, and when I got in at 10:15, they immediately took me on a tour because I was so early. If you get in closer to your interview time, then you go on a tour after your interview.

There are plenty of times during the tour (which is personalized, as there's only one or two people on the tour at one time) to ask questions. Basically you have the whole thirty minute tour to ask questions, you can ask questions after your interview, during your interview, at the airport when you're going home (they responded to questions the next day). It's awesome.

The whole thing also took only about an hour and a half. I was out of the door by 11:45 am. I liked the interview a lot because it was efficient and helpful. No wasted time. At some of my other interviews, I had literally a two hour tour of just three buildings (honestly, how many lecture halls do I need to see?) a one hour writing sample, half an hour interview, and something like 20 minutes of waiting time in between each section that was wasted just by sitting idly in a waiting room.

Great feedback! I'll keep an open mind going into the interview with what you've said. I have never experience wait times as long as you have, and I'm glad I haven't!

Interviewing February 18th! I am excited to get the interview over with and get an answer.

So I guess I might be rejected by this school....:(:(

Last edited:
Got my acceptance e-mail Wednesday and just sent my check.

Chicago, here I come!

Has anyone interviewed at UIC within the past couple of weeks and heard back from them? I'm super anxious to hear back. I read in earlier posts that they reply as soon as two days after your interview. I interviewed on Friday the 4th, and I'm starting to get worried. In your experience, how soon did they respond?

PharmDJoD I'm in!!!
"Got my acceptance e-mail Wednesday and just sent my check.

Chicago, here I come!"
I interviewed Thursday, February 3rd. I still have not received a reply from them. This worries me that someone that interviewed the day after I did already heard back, and I didn't :(.

By the way my interview was with an HIV clinical pharmacist, and in my opinion I think my interview went smoothly. She said she teaches the section on HIV in April for a P1 course. Did anybody else have her interview them? I wonder if the interviewers interview more than one student.

My stats are pretty good too
PCAT: 94
Cumulative GPA: 3.90
UIC prepharm GPA: 3.95
Independent research in a Biochemistry lab since September.

I'm also a UIC student.

Am I worrying for nothing? Ugh guess I'm not going to get a good night sleep, and I'm pretty sure I won't hear anything over the weekend so I'll be bummed out for the whole weekend also. I guess this is always better than receiving a reply early saying I got declined admission.

Sorry if this is at all intrusive, but what do your stats and EC's look like PharmDJoD?

Sorry if this is at all intrusive, but what do your stats and EC's look like PharmDJoD?

My stats actually look a lot like yours.

In-state
GPA: 4.0
PCAT: 94
No pharmacy experience aside from shadowing
Research in genetics and biochem labs for 3.5 years
I've been working since I was 16, but I doubt that had much to do with anything.

I actually thought my interview went pretty badly. I didn't feel like I was connecting with the interviewer at all. It wasn't very conversational like others had mentioned.

... and I would also note that they said it would take up to 2 weeks. I wouldn't freak out until you get an e-mail that says you aren't accepted.

I don't know this for sure, but maybe the interviewers have to meet with admissions to discuss the interview (or something like that) before they make a decision. Maybe your interviewer hasn't done that yet. Again, they said 2 weeks... and your stats look great to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
woot.

I'll join it...however, I have a little grudge against the name not having University of Illinois at Chicago A minor technicality. :)

Last edited:
I'm trying to weigh out industry rotational opportunities between a few prospective schools. Does UIC have great rapport with surround pharma companies? Or even outside of IL... do they have industry rotational opportunities that extend across the country?

I'm trying to weigh out industry rotational opportunities between a few prospective schools. Does UIC have great rapport with surround pharma companies? Or even outside of IL... do they have industry rotational opportunities that extend across the country?
I don't know all the details, but to my understanding, there are pharma companies and rotations with them. Generally, the UIC rotations are focused moreso in state, although there are some opportunities which are out of state. Some other people may have more information about it.. but I will say that I am currently in a Marketing course, and there are UIC alumni from various aspects of industry who will come back and talk about their job each week (Last week was an MSL). It's a great way of developing a connection, and oftentimes they advertise internship opportunities. The networking opportunity is fantastic and has helped many students in the past land jobs/internships.

Some other people may have further insight into the rotational opportunities you are seeking :) .. That said, if you are diligent, even if you were to go to UIC for school, you can always seek internship opportunities over the summer which are out of state (or in the state you hope to live at). Those who completed internships at a company, may potentially be able to make a lasting impression for a future career; coming from a strong pharmacy school helps while you're trying to find an internship.

hi all, congrats to those of you who got in, I am a P2 here at UIC, I will try to keep up to date with SDN so that I can answer any questions you may have, I have also sent a request to join your facebook group per request from the Asst. Dean of Pharmacy to act as a buffer between you and the school. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. As for the previous rotational question, UIC does extend to several states, I know many P4's that are across the US, also if you have your heart set on a certain location, be sure to contact Dr. Goliak with some contact information, and she will try to set up a possible rotation for you in the 4th year. I have done so with her already since I am from a rural community and I have now set up 4 rotations so for myself, not to mention the hundreds of rotation sites UIC already has to choose from.

YAY! I got in today.

I had to have a second interview over the phone, but it's all good. Within 1 hour of completing the phone interview, I received an acceptance email.

I'll finally be able to sleep comfortably at night.

YAY! I got in today.

I had to have a second interview over the phone, but it's all good. Within 1 hour of completing the phone interview, I received an acceptance email.

I'll finally be able to sleep comfortably at night.

Second interview over the phone for UIC is that correct?

I was just thinking that its a little bizarre, I've never heard of such a thing happening.

Congrats on getting in, that's all that matters at this point.

Yeah I know that's what I thought too. I came home on Tuesday and I was told that someone for pharmacy called for me and had left their number. The number was a 312-996... number which I knew it was from UIC since that's how all the phone numbers begin for them. I called this morning, had the phone interview, and now I'm in.

What is the relationship between you and the rest of your classmates? Do you feel like a family? Does everyone know everyone? Are there segregated groups that barely interact with each other?

What is the relationship between you and the rest of your classmates? Do you feel like a family? Does everyone know everyone? Are there segregated groups that barely interact with each other?

You can definitely say that we are a family for sure, we all have something in common, we are all classmates striving for the same achievement. So yes you have a very close relationship with your classmates, some are closer than others, it really depends on what you make of it. There are plenty of groups you can join APhA, SnPhA, Phi Delta Chi or Kappa Psi pharmacy fraternities, and the list goes on. It truly is what you make of it. There are also groups in our class, that I can't say we never talk to each other, but we do have limited conversations, however when you get into your IPPE and P2/P3 years you will be placed into random group of 4+ students to do different projects, so you rely on your classmates for a group grade, it could be a group of complete strangers or close friends depending on how far you are willing to reach out. I highly recommend reaching out as much as possible, because the more doors you open, the opportunities become limitless!

For those of you who have been accepted, how long did it take to hear back? Were they pretty close to the 2 weeks like they said?

For those of you who have been accepted, how long did it take to hear back? Were they pretty close to the 2 weeks like they said?
I had my interview Jan. 31th and got accepted Feb. 9th
Good luck.

It took me three days to hear back. Interviewed Jan. 10th, was accepted the 13th.

From what it seems like on this forum, people have been hearing back anywhere from 1 to 10 days. They're really fast.

Also, looking at the stats of everyone else who got accepted makes me feel dumb. :(

Interviewed 02/17 and got accepted TODAY (02/24) !!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

woo! just got my acceptance! any other girls looking for a roommate?

I got placed in the holding pattern..:(..maybe they are not too impressed with my grades..Are there people receive interview invites after being placing on hold?

Don't worry!! I was placed in the holding pattern, too. But I got the interview invitation the next day.
Good luck, Rochi!

Interviewed 2/18 accepted today. See you all there next year.

Anybody going to Rockford?? I just mailed my deposit yesterday via priority mail. Do they send out an admissions packet afterwards? I am pretty sure they want immunizations and stuff

Anybody going to Rockford?? I just mailed my deposit yesterday via priority mail. Do they send out an admissions packet afterwards? I am pretty sure they want immunizations and stuff

Yes sir, Rockford! From what I am to understand we get the packet April-ish.

Interviewed today. Accepted Today. Wasn't a good match for me. Hope it goes to someone on AC here.

wow!!! so they told you that you got accepted right after the interview??

Interviews the 24th, accepted the 25th!!!! =)

I'll see you all in the fall!

So correct me if I'm wrong but after I send in the Acceptance Form and the deposit, I'll receive a confirmation email that they received it,but I wont be receiving any other info until April-ish?

I had interview on the 21st and haven't heard anything back yet... does that mean that I'm rejected??? :(

did you have the interview at the Chicago campus or Rockford? I had mine at Rockford...

As an admirer of the opposite sex, I'm starting to reconsider bc Chicago has beautiful women. Call me shallow...

did you have the interview at the Chicago campus or Rockford? I had mine at Rockford...

I was at the Chicago campus...so maybe they haven't finished going over the Rockford applicants yet?

I was at the Chicago campus...so maybe they haven't finished going over the Rockford applicants yet?

Hey schoolpharm, do you mind sharing your stats? I really wanted to get into UIC next year.
Thanks

I had interview on the 21st and haven't heard anything back yet... does that mean that I'm rejected??? :(
You're never rejected until they tell you that you are rejected. They say that it can take up to a month, so you still have plenty of time :)