University of Illinois, Chicago Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PCAT 83
GPA 3.2
Two degrees in chemistry and biology
shadowing
a TON of volunteer work

I was wondering where you did your shadowing and how you got it?

Members don't see this ad.

So, what's up with the orientation tomorrow? Anyone know any details? I just got accepted yesterday and feel like I've missed out a lot :confused:

Last edited:
Search on the thread and join the fb group. Anyways, it's business casual and it starts at 9:30 and goes to about 3ish (depends if you wanna go to any of the infosessions at the end). It costs roughly 12 bucks to park in one of the nearby visitor parking structures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you not have a Bachelor's degree? Or is it insanely impossible now to get in pharmacy schools without one?

just got an email saying this:

"The UIC College of Pharmacy Admissions Committee has decided to open up some additional seats for this fall’s entering class on both the Chicago and Rockford campuses. As a result, I’m sending this email to see if you are still interested in the UIC College of Pharmacy PharmD program."

i'm already planning on attending another school so probably not gonna follow through with this

Do any of you not have a Bachelor's degree? Or is it insanely impossible now to get in pharmacy schools without one?

Even though I have a Bachelor's, I know people who got into UIC without one (some of these people even had PCAT comps less than 60 %tile on top of that). So, no it is not insanely impossible at all. It's very possible.

Although I have one too, I know people who have gotten in without a Bachelors. In the next 5-6 years getting a Bachelors will become a requirement just like in all other graduate schools. So, it's best to just get one.

I got the same email as well:

The UIC College of Pharmacy Admissions Committee has decided to open up some additional seats for this fall’s entering class on both the Chicago and Rockford campuses. As a result, I’m sending this email to see if you are still interested in the UIC College of Pharmacy PharmD program.

I wonder whether all of those all were placed in the holding pattern receive the same email as well.

Hi everyone. I have a quick question that any of you can answer since you've all applied to UIC. Organic chemistry I with lab is required and organic II lecture is required, but NO LAB is required for II....is this correct? This is what their website claims, but I am just double checking. Thanks in advance.

I was placed in the holding pattern and also received this email. :confused:

Hi everyone. I have a quick question that any of you can answer since you've all applied to UIC. Organic chemistry I with lab is required and organic II lecture is required, but NO LAB is required for II....is this correct? This is what their website claims, but I am just double checking. Thanks in advance.

Here is what the website states:

Organic Chemistry - minimum of 8 semester hours
A two-semester sequence in organic chemistry is required to meet this requirement. Some schools offer a laboratory each semester; other schools offer an intensive one-semester laboratory. Please see the Pre-Pharmacy Coursework Guides for each school's acceptable organic chemistry courses/labs.

As I interpret it, this does NOT state that only one semester of organic chem lab is required, rather it implies that if your school only offers a one semester lab where the lab work is intensive ( orgo I and II lab work crunched into one semester) then that is acceptable. On the other hand, if your school offers the orgo I and II lab both semesters, you MUST take both. I'd call the admissions office to be sure or just err on the side of caution and take both orgo I and orgo II labs if your school offers it.

Did anyone receive word back about that email for additional seats opening up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any upper level students have any advice for the first year?

The following was valid for my first year
Lets see:
- Don't bother buying any of the books except the calculations book (which IS required). If you have your own physio/orgo/biochem books from undergrad you'll be fine. But to be honest, if you take comprehensive notes you won't need an outside source. And don't buy the Remington- I found it to be useless. Dr. Koch has them in the lab anyway so you don't need your own.
- Join a club/fraternity! It's a great way to meet people in your own class and also those ahead of you.
- Don't look too much at other people's grades, just do your best and keep looking forward. Everything is curved in the end (or most classes are) so just do your best and don't freak out. Learn the information, don't bother just memorizing.

All that being said. The COP is a few blocks from a REALLY bad area. Don't walk around at night by yourself. Don't walk in poorly lit areas. Etc.

so there was an orientation back in June? I had interview last week and still waiting for the decision. what's been covered during orientation?

so there was an orientation back in June? I had interview last week and still waiting for the decision. what's been covered during orientation?

I can't believe they are still interviewing people. I know its not unusual to pull people from the wait list so close to school starting but interviewing? It's as if they have run through the waitlist. Is it normal to interview so close to the first day of classes? Or is it a sign that the applicant pool is not getting larger and candidates are choosing among the many other schools in Illinois?

I can't believe they are still interviewing people. I know its not unusual to pull people from the wait list so close to school starting but interviewing? It's as if they have run through the waitlist. Is it normal to interview so close to the first day of classes? Or is it a sign that the applicant pool is not getting larger and candidates are choosing among the many other schools in Illinois?

im still debating whether I should attend the additional interview, it costs a couple hundred bucks to travel to chicago, and if they only accept a small amount of applicants from this pool, then i probably wouldn't go

im still debating whether I should attend the additional interview, it costs a couple hundred bucks to travel to chicago, and if they only accept a small amount of applicants from this pool, then i probably wouldn't go

They're still accepting students? That's crazy.

I was wondering where you did your shadowing and how you got it?

My bad on the delay. I haven't been on here in a while....

I got my shadowing in an independent pharmacy by literally just walking into the pharmacy and asking if I could shadow him. I had originally tried getting a job as a pharmacy technician, but the pharmacies in my area are cutting back on the number of techs they have.

I would suggest that an independent pharmacy is more likely to let you shadow than a big chain because its usually not as busy in them. That's why I was able to shadow.

So, anyone else excited about school?

What's up with the "admissions/deciding" tab on UiC connect?
I still don't see it and I've completed only 67% of the checklist because of it.

I'm really excited. I stopped by the COP today to drop off some forms and it even made me more excited. I talked to Dr. T about that admin/deciding tab and he said don't worry about it. it wont have any effect on us and its just an IT problem.

just got accepted at Chicago campus..excited to join you guys. Btw...where do I get background check and drug screening?

just got accepted at Chicago campus..excited to join you guys. Btw...where do I get background check and drug screening?

Did they call you or email??
I'm waiting too and it's so frustrating =(

Hey do you mind sharing your stats? Are you in-state? I applying for fall 2012 cycle. Thanks!

ya im stilll waiting too?
i had my interview last week

did they call or email you?

they said that they will be sending admission offers today and tomorrow. tomorrow the latest

ya im stilll waiting too?
i had my interview last week

did they call or email you?

they said that they will be sending admission offers today and tomorrow. tomorrow the latest

so will they be sending out offers on both days? im thinking since someone got accepted today, they have already sent out all the offers....ugh this is very frustrating...

anyone know how many students they are accepting??

so will they be sending out offers on both days? im thinking since someone got accepted today, they have already sent out all the offers....ugh this is very frustrating...

anyone know how many students they are accepting??

they said 6 spots per campus (chicago and rockford)
i'm still waiting to hear back from them too...
even though someone got their offer already, lets not all lose hope.

they said 6 spots per campus (chicago and rockford)
i'm still waiting to hear back from them too...
even though someone got their offer already, lets not all lose hope.

yikes 6 spots per campus...i wonder how many students they interviewed...
but yes u are right, lets not lose hope good luck

I heard from OSA that they interviewed 30ish people and offered 12 spots in total for both campus.

I am not in-state. GPA: 3.36, prereq GPA: 3.22, PCAT: 92

I believed I got an email asking me to call back on friday, and I called back on monday and received the offer.

Hello everyone! I am applying to UIC for fall 2012 cycle. I am working on my personal statement now and hopefully I could e-submit by the end of August. All my references and transcripts have already been submitted. Do you think this is good time-wise? I meant, should I rush through my ps and submit it like next week? Since, it takes 5 weeks for pharmcas to calculate gpa, idk when UIC adcom would get to review my application. Can someone help? Many thanks in advance! :)

No, don't rush it. I submited my PharmCAS in November I think and still got accepted. Take your time with your personal statement. This is where you are selling yourself. Also, be sure to have it peer reviewed by MULTIPLE people. I'd personaly pick an english prof, science prof, and one other person. Just my opinion...

Good luck to all of you who are waiting!

Congratulations on your acceptance. For your background check and drug test go to www.certifiedbackground.com. Click on students. You'll need to make a profile and what not.

UICs code is nv85 [someone correct me if I'm wrong]. You will need to enter this code when you purchase your background check because it has specific checks needed for UIC COP. The check takes about 24-48 hours. Once that's completed you will receive further instructions for a drug screening

Hope this helps

Hey All! Good Luck to everyone starting class next Monday! Does anyone know how we find out what rooms each class is in? My schedule (and my friend's too) says all the classes are in room 134-1 which I'm sure is an error. I asked my PA but he's not responding :(

Also, do any of the current UIC know when we will receive the surplus loan refunds?

Last edited:
my schedule says the same thing...There could be a chance that they'll all be in the same room since we will all be in the same classes other than labs i think.

my schedule says the same thing...There could be a chance that they'll all be in the same room since we will all be in the same classes other than labs i think.

I thought about that. But my schedule says that even my two labs are in Rm 134-1 so it MUST be a mistake (Labs are definitely in a different room than the lecture)

oh true, didnt see that. Well if we don't have our correct room numbers than this is going to be one crazy first day.

134-1 is probably the right room. Labs normally start in a lecture room and then you move to the actual lab.

134-1 is probably the right room. Labs normally start in a lecture room and then you move to the actual lab.

Yeah I just talked to a friend of mine whose a P2 and she said that we meet in that room and go over the lab before actually heading up to the lab.

Did you got accepted? I've been put on hold after my interview also and don't know what to expect.

Did anybody have the same situation as I have now... I had my interview with UIC yesterday and got an email today that they've put my on holding pattern. Is anybody here you got accepted with this status?