University of Illinois Chicago COP class 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilisterco23

LiLRx
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked to see if there were any UIC COP 2018 thread. Didn't see any so here it is! Please feel free to give some comments, suggestions, and /or questions regarding this thread!

I wanna know my chances of getting into UIC without a bachelor's degree.

I work at CVS pharmacy as a tech for a year in a half.
Volunteer in a hospital,
have roughly about 3.3 GPA
member in pre-pharmacy club
have done other club-related volunteer activities
about to finish 6 classes for pre-req. (be done by spring)
What else could I do in a year to make me a stronger candidate?
(I know I gotta raise my GPA more!)

I am also already signed up for PCAT. just need to take it this coming sept. 18. *wish me luck! :)
I did the Pearson PCAT practice test, my range is from 79-99%. IDK how accurate this test is. I
also wanna know more resources for studying for PCAT, to secure a 99%! so please if you have any suggestions, let me know!! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm applying!
GPA: 3.41
PCAT: 95
I've worked as a pharmacy tech in a hospital for 2 years and volunteered at another hospital, both in patient and out patient for about a year now. I've also been volunteering with the International Rescue Committee.
I think the pearson tests are pretty accurate. I did much better than what my practice tests told me. None of the tests that I took showed me I was going to score in the 90's.
For the PCAT, I would definitely stress getting a hold of the Dr. Collins study guide. I mostly used that to study for each section (except reading - didn't study for that). I also used Kaplan's study book as well to brush up on some concepts. I would also recommend using youtube.
I'm not sure how UIC weighs things? Are they big on GPA/PCAT?

I'm applying!
GPA: 3.41
PCAT: 95
I've worked as a pharmacy tech in a hospital for 2 years and volunteered at another hospital, both in patient and out patient for about a year now. I've also been volunteering with the International Rescue Committee.
I think the pearson tests are pretty accurate. I did much better than what my practice tests told me. None of the tests that I took showed me I was going to score in the 90's.
For the PCAT, I would definitely stress getting a hold of the Dr. Collins study guide. I mostly used that to study for each section (except reading - didn't study for that). I also used Kaplan's study book as well to brush up on some concepts. I would also recommend using youtube.
I'm not sure how UIC weighs things? Are they big on GPA/PCAT?
I think you're in a pretty good standing! All you nee to do s get your pharmcas together! wow 95 in PCAT! would def. get the Dr. collins then!! thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I'm also applying for the upcoming cycle.
GPA: ~3.6
PCAT: 97
I've had some clinical and ambulatory shadowing experience and about 4.5 years research experience, and I am part of our school's pre-pharmacy society and undergraduate research network. I also volunteer with a search and rescue group.

I thought the McGraw-Hill prep book was pretty useful--it has a lot of review, but not as many practice questions as others. The Pearson practice tests were pretty accurate for me, except for the math section, which overestimated my score. The Kaplan prep book came with an online practice test that was kind of nice because the interface was very close to, if not the same as, what you'll see on test day.

Good luck everyone. I was accepted into the class of 2017 so feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=944178

That's a link to last year's thread and may be helpful.
I wanna know if you know a handful of people that got accepted without a bachelor's degree?!? Do they look more into that or do you just have to be well rounded for pharmacy?? Also, how many letters of recommendation do we need for the application process?? THANK YOU in advance!!

GPA: 3.13
PCAT: 98
Experience: almost 2 years working in the pharmaceutical industry as a research associate.

good luck to you all!

I wanna know if you know a handful of people that got accepted without a bachelor's degree?!? Do they look more into that or do you just have to be well rounded for pharmacy?? Also, how many letters of recommendation do we need for the application process?? THANK YOU in advance!!

UIC requires 2 letters of recommendation

"Two letters of recommendation must be submitted through PharmCAS.

One letter must be from a professor, a TA, or an Academic Adviser.
One letter must be from a work or volunteer supervisor."

You can find all the information on application requirements on their page --> http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/student_affairs/prospective_students/application_process.php

Most applicants have a bachelor's but it's not required and I do know of 2 people that got in to my class year without one. Based on what I know of the application process, as long as your GPA on pre-reqs and PCAT score are competitive, UIC will be inclined to give you an interview. But what really pushes you ahead of the applicant pool (to get the interview) is your extra curriculars and volunteer/work experience.

I checked to see if there were any UIC COP 2018 thread. Didn't see any so here it is! Please feel free to give some comments, suggestions, and /or questions regarding this thread!

I wanna know my chances of getting into UIC without a bachelor's degree.

I work at CVS pharmacy as a tech for a year in a half.
Volunteer in a hospital,
have roughly about 3.3 GPA
member in pre-pharmacy club
have done other club-related volunteer activities
about to finish 6 classes for pre-req. (be done by spring)
What else could I do in a year to make me a stronger candidate?
(I know I gotta raise my GPA more!)

I am also already signed up for PCAT. just need to take it this coming sept. 18. *wish me luck! :)
I did the Pearson PCAT practice test, my range is from 79-99%. IDK how accurate this test is. I
also wanna know more resources for studying for PCAT, to secure a 99%! so please if you have any suggestions, let me know!! Thanks in advance!
Pearson practice test is a bit easier than the actual PCAT especially the reading IMO. Everyone who used Dr. Collins including me usually scored in the 90s though so I'd use that.Just an FYI as of last year the biology section changed so I would make sure you're studying the right material.

Pearson practice test is a bit easier than the actual PCAT especially the reading IMO. Everyone who used Dr. Collins including me usually scored in the 90s though so I'd use that.Just an FYI as of last year the biology section changed so I would make sure you're studying the right material.
Thanks for the tips!!! I also noticed that your interview for UIC was on 02/01. Is that the regular admission or everybody gets the interview around the same time? regardless of early and/or regular admission???

UIC requires 2 letters of recommendation

"Two letters of recommendation must be submitted through PharmCAS.

One letter must be from a professor, a TA, or an Academic Adviser.
One letter must be from a work or volunteer supervisor."

You can find all the information on application requirements on their page --> http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/student_affairs/prospective_students/application_process.php

Most applicants have a bachelor's but it's not required and I do know of 2 people that got in to my class year without one. Based on what I know of the application process, as long as your GPA on pre-reqs and PCAT score are competitive, UIC will be inclined to give you an interview. But what really pushes you ahead of the applicant pool (to get the interview) is your extra curriculars and volunteer/work experience.
Do you know anybody who has a 3.0 GPA or below who got in?? Im just a little worried about my GPA =/, Im still trying to raise it up to at least a 3.5

Do you know anybody who has a 3.0 GPA or below who got in?? Im just a little worried about my GPA =/, Im still trying to raise it up to at least a 3.5

Unfortunately I can't think of anyone specific. From my experiences with their admissions representatives, below 3.0 is a bit on the low side. Definitely do whatever it takes to raise that a bit higher. But as I said earlier, UIC really looks at the full package. I know of some "lower" scoring people who were accepted (either lower GPA or lower PCAT scores than the average), but they had years of work and volunteer experience or very unique club and community service projects or foreign experience.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't focus all efforts to that GPA. Bring it up but make sure everything else is solid too so you are a strong overall applicant. It'll be the bigger difference maker in the long run compared to applying with a 3.2 or a 3.5. At least from my guesses, that seems to be the case.

Unfortunately I can't think of anyone specific. From my experiences with their admissions representatives, below 3.0 is a bit on the low side. Definitely do whatever it takes to raise that a bit higher. But as I said earlier, UIC really looks at the full package. I know of some "lower" scoring people who were accepted (either lower GPA or lower PCAT scores than the average), but they had years of work and volunteer experience or very unique club and community service projects or foreign experience.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is don't focus all efforts to that GPA. Bring it up but make sure everything else is solid too so you are a strong overall applicant. It'll be the bigger difference maker in the long run compared to applying with a 3.2 or a 3.5. At least from my guesses, that seems to be the case.
I see! Thanks for all your advice!! It really helps me to kinda' know what they expect from the inside.! Glad to have someone who's already in who's helping us out!!! I appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips!!! I also noticed that your interview for UIC was on 02/01. Is that the regular admission or everybody gets the interview around the same time? regardless of early and/or regular admission???
Well UIC hasn't been very consistent in keeping their timetable the same ever since they changed their interview process to MMI style, but this year my interview was the second earliest date I believe. Again, that may change slightly this year. UIC COP has rolling admissions, so just get your apps in as soon as possible for the best consideration.

I also would suggest starting on your personal statement early so that you have time to go through several drafts. Furthermore, obtain a strong letter of recommendation! Do not miss the deadline... watch out for the time zone differences if you tend to submit at the last minute! Good luck! :)

Hi everyone! I sent in my pharmcas application about 2 weeks ago. does anyone know how long it takes to get an invitation to fill out the supplemental?

I was also wondering if I should retake the PCAT, my score was 70th percentile. That's the only thing i'm nervous about because it seems everyone is doing very well on the exam.

Hi everyone! I sent in my pharmcas application about 2 weeks ago. does anyone know how long it takes to get an invitation to fill out the supplemental?

I was also wondering if I should retake the PCAT, my score was 70th percentile. That's the only thing i'm nervous about because it seems everyone is doing very well on the exam.
I think they sent supplemental invitations around January last year. So, it's probably the same this year.

Last year we received supplementals in the first week of October. You'll have a few weeks to turn that in and then you won't hear anything from UIC for awhile.

Interview invites won't go out until Late December or January. And probably not until you submit fall grades if you are still taking other classes (particularly pre-reqs).
Earliest interview dates will probably be mid or late January (based on last two years).

As for the PCAT, I know people in the 65-75 range that got in. Remember UIC takes into account your work, volunteer, and leadership responsibilities/experience. They'll send you a supplemental as long as you reach the minimum requirements but the interview invite is largely dependent on your experiences and extracurricular and work history.

Last year we received supplementals in the first week of October. You'll have a few weeks to turn that in and then you won't hear anything from UIC for awhile.

Interview invites won't go out until Late December or January. And probably not until you submit fall grades if you are still taking other classes (particularly pre-reqs).
Earliest interview dates will probably be mid or late January (based on last two years).

As for the PCAT, I know people in the 65-75 range that got in. Remember UIC takes into account your work, volunteer, and leadership responsibilities/experience. They'll send you a supplemental as long as you reach the minimum requirements but the interview invite is largely dependent on your experiences and extracurricular and work history.
Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Nothing more than my application has been received, and that interviews are usually in Jan/Feb.

From what I've heard, they start emailing supplementals by the end of October... So we just have to wait and keep checking the inbox like 3 times a day lol

From what I've heard, they start emailing supplementals by the end of October... So we just have to wait and keep checking the inbox like 3 times a day lol

just got my supplemental app invite.

Yup the supplementals are out! I'm having a problem opening the pdf files. It says that I need to update the Adobe in order to open it!
Anyone have this problem too??

Yup the supplementals are out! I'm having a problem opening the pdf files. It says that I need to update the Adobe in order to open it!

I'm having the same problem, and just updated to no avail.

Fix: If you go to the link, save it anyway (despite it saying you need the other version), and then open the actual PDF, it will work.

FYI if you are not using webmail, your attachment preview will still show the error message from Adobe when you email the forms to UIC.

Good luck everyone! Application time definitely tests your patience lol

anyone else running into an error when you try and add your previous colleges onto the online supplemental app? it won't let me enter 2 colleges and i've tried calling admissions but they're already closed :/

Does anyone know when the deadline is to turn in the supplemental application? They didn't mention it in the email they sent out with the instructions, but I seem to recall reading somewhere a while ago that it is 2 weeks after they send out the invite (I can't find where I read that now...). Any info would be appreciated!

On their website it says that it is recommended to send in the supplemental application two weeks after receiving it due to rolling admissions. I don't believe there is an actual deadline.

has anyone heard back after submitting their supplemental yet?

has anyone heard back after submitting their supplemental yet?

Got an email (actually over 20 of the same email...) the day after I emailed it saying that they received the supplemental, and that I should receive additional information by email and should check PharmCAS for application status info.

Got an email (actually over 20 of the same email...) the day after I emailed it saying that they received the supplemental, and that I should receive additional information by email and should check PharmCAS for application status info.

i got that same email to, but haven't heard anything since. I think it's almost been 1 week or so and i didn't see any changes to my PharmCAS. have you?

Just posting to wish you all good luck! For those who have received a confirmation e-mail regarding supplemental applications being received you'll probably be in the wait game for a bit unless they change their interview scheduling from last year. You might get an email saying that your application is ready for review at some point but for now, take a relaxing break and don't worry about it for awhile.

Finally received the Step 2 email!

Does anyone know when they start sending out interview invites at UIC? I heard they don't offer interviews until mid January.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

did anyone get an email about housing today??
Yeah, I got the same e-mail about housing. Definitely agree with the sender about how we'd much rather hear about an admissions decision than housing right now lol.