University of Illinois Chicago COP class 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got invited for Rockford. However, I wanted to pursue PharmD/PhD program. Not sure if going Rockford will allow me to do joint degree. Anyone has an insight for this ??

Members don't see this ad.

I just got invited for Rockford. However, I wanted to pursue PharmD/PhD program. Not sure if going Rockford will allow me to do joint degree. Anyone has an insight for this ??
As in an interview invite or offered admission?
I interviewed this week monday.

May I ask when you submitted your supplemental? I submitted Jan 10 and haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear back after they put you on holding pattern?

I think it's too early to hear anything back because I haven't heard anything back

Hey everyone I have a few questions. I got accepted to UIC(Chicago campus) last friday and I just got accepted to SIUE. Which school should I attend? Which one makes it easier to get a job once I am done? What are some of the things you all are looking for in the schools you are thinking about attending?

I know I should have asked this a while back. I didn't because my main focus was on getting accepted.
Any help is appreciated.

sorry I meant interview invite. I dun mind going either Rockford or Chicago campus for PharmD program, but I think Rockford doesn't have good selection for research when I do join degree.

May I ask when you submitted your supplemental? I submitted Jan 10 and haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks
I submitted my supplemental around Jan 17, but i put undecided and got invited for Rockford. I wish I put Chicago campus.

Hey everyone I have a few questions. I got accepted to UIC(Chicago campus) last friday and I just got accepted to SIUE. Which school should I attend? Which one makes it easier to get a job once I am done? What are some of the things you all are looking for in the schools you are thinking about attending?

I know I should have asked this a while back. I didn't because my main focus was on getting accepted.
Any help is appreciated.

SIUE may be cheaper, I'm not sure but I will def pick UIC. For me, it's in terms of prestige and proximity.

Any help is appreciated.

I can hopefully help you a bit because I attended SIUE for undergrad and now I am in the UIC PharmD program. As far as which you should attend, I unfortunately can't provide a simple answer because neither one is the right choice for every single person. You have to consider many factors, which I had a long and difficult time doing. I loved both schools so I'll hopefully keep this unbiased. Some things to consider:
-Distance from your hometown, if it matters to you.
-Cost. Tuition is approximately the same at SIUE and UIC relative the grand scheme of pharmacy schools, though cost of living is higher in Chicago. You can rent a house in Edwardsville for the same amount as a small Chicago apartment.
-Setting. UIC is urban, a couple miles outside of downtown Chicago. Of course this means there are plenty of exciting things to see and do, but transportation is often a hassle and you may be better off without a car. SIUE is difficult to categorize, but I guess it's kind of suburban with a very natural setting (I shy away from calling it rural because you'll get the wrong impression). Downtown St. Louis is about a 20 minute drive away, but there's not too much between campus and the city. Edwardsville itself is very safe and comfortable, but I guess it's not quite as much fun as Chicago.
-Ranking. This probably makes less of a difference in the long run than applicants think. The more important part I guess is that UIC has a more established position in the pharmacy world. I think most pharmacists in Illinois are UIC grads and we probably have a bit more name recognition across the country, so having UIC on your resume might stand out to more people.
-Extra degrees. Are you interested in a joint PharmD/PhD? This is a huge commitment that not many people make, but it's not an option at SIUE. UIC has several options including masters and PhD programs, while at SIUE you can only get a joint MBA. This is probably something you need to know now or soon because it's not a commitment that people decide on a whim when faced with the difficulty of the PharmD itself.
-Research and experience. Even if you aren't interested in a research-oriented degree mentioned above, it's a huge CV boost to have done research or have an externship/internship. This will definitely help if you want to pursue a residency. There are opportunities at both schools, but from what I can tell they are more accessible and numerous at UIC. We are one of the top funded pharmacy schools in the country and there are opportunities for internship and volunteer experience in the 4 hospitals of the medical district.
-Class size. SIUE's class size is 80, UIC's is 160 plus 40 in Rockford. Lecture halls are crammed here, while seats are nice and spread out at SIUE. You will find a core group of friends either way though, so don't be intimidated by a larger group. Some relevant advice I have for everyone is to please get involved with things like student organizations from the very beginning. It might be intimidating, but that's how you'll make friends and connections for the 4 years of school and perhaps beyond.
-Technology. I'm not sure if SIUE does this, but at UIC all of our lectures are recorded and posted on blackboard. This is helpful when reviewing for an exam or if you missed class. Also Rockford is in class at the same time through a 2-way AV connection. I'm not trying to insult the Rockford class, but the setup is annoying. Sometimes class is disrupted if the connection is lost, the audio cuts out either way, or some other issue arises. It's a minor issue though.

None of these factors is a sole reason on which to make your decision, but they (along with anything else I couldn't think of) are all things you must take into account. Ultimately pharmacy school is what you make of it and you are in a great position of being able to choose between 2 good pharmacy schools. I do not think finding a job will have as much to do with which school you pick than on what you do during school and after getting the degree. Choose the one that feels right and makes the most sense to you.

I have interview at Rockford campus, and I'm OOS student. Any one have advice how to get to Rockford campus ? do we have bus/shuttle system at Rockford ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody hear from UIC yet? Those who interviewed last week... ?

I have not. I interviewed on 2/18.
I interviewed on the 17th. Ahhh so anxious to hear back. Today is the last day to accept Rosalind's offer of admission.
I do not want to waste $500 yet I do not want to risk it. ..

Just got my acceptance email!!!
...I payed Rosalind 30 minutes prior to that :/

Wow I just got accepted as well!! Congratulations to you all! :)

In case anyone asks, I interviewed on the 18th of February. I'm rather surprised because I thought I could've done much better during the interviews..

Reactions: 1 user
Wow I just got accepted as well!! Congratulations to you all! :)

In case anyone asks, I interviewed on the 18th of February. I'm rather surprised because I thought I could've done much better during the interviews..
I think we may have sat next to each other before the UMich interview on 2-20? Anyhow just got accepted @ UIC as well after the 2-22 interview pretty excited congrats to us both!

I think we may have sat next to each other before the UMich interview on 2-20? Anyhow just got accepted @ UIC as well after the 2-22 interview pretty excited congrats to us both!

Tall guy with the glasses? Congrats man! Idk about you, but the Michigan interview was a bit stressful compared to the UIC one.. we should hear back in a couple days though.

Just got my acceptance email!!!
...I payed Rosalind 30 minutes prior to that :/
Just got accepted as well. You should cancel the credit card that you made the payment with. Can't charge a cancelled account!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back yet after being put on the holding pattern?
I think this year they are doing it differently because I was placed on the holding pattern on 2/14 and when I called they said they will reconsider after interviews are done.

Yayyy I got accepted too! So stoked!

Reactions: 1 user
I think this year they are doing it differently because I was placed on the holding pattern on 2/14 and when I called they said they will reconsider after interviews are done.
Same here! I got put on hold on 2/14, and haven't heard anything back. After all interviews are done? So that means in end of March???? No wayyyyyy!!!

Just got accepted as well. You should cancel the credit card that you made the payment with. Can't charge a cancelled account!
I checked right after I received the email and the transaction was cleared according to the bank. It's ok though. I'm excited!!!!!!!

Just accepted! With that in hand, now to see if I can get off U of Mn's ranked wait list and into that program.

Which one would you guys/gals
Choose if you had your choice?

Same here! I got put on hold on 2/14, and haven't heard anything back. After all interviews are done? So that means in end of March???? No wayyyyyy!!!
I think they are doing everything differently this year because from previous year posts people got off the hold list after a week...it seems the UIC COP is unpredictable

Is the interview process finished at UIC?

I think they are doing everything differently this year because from previous year posts people got off the hold list after a week...it seems the UIC COP is unpredictable
Woww,,, I thought we have good chances to get accepted after put on holding pattern (as last year people got off holding pattern fast) , so if they are doing everything differently then does that mean we will have hard time to get in? :-(

It looks like not many people got put on the holding pattern this year!! anyone else is on hold after an interview??

No they are interviewing until end of the march!!
I was getting anxious myself, I submitted my supplemental last 02/04, and received the confirmation email re admission committee review on 02/11. Until now I have not heard from them

The dean did mention that all out-of-staters can get in-state tuition after a year. For current out-of-state students, did you find it to be a straightforward process or were there challenges?

Woww,,, I thought we have good chances to get accepted after put on holding pattern (as last year people got off holding pattern fast) , so if they are doing everything differently then does that mean we will have hard time to get in? :-(
I thought the same thing because many people last year got off the holding pattern within a week and other people were put on the waiting list. I don't see lot of people being put on the hold list this year. I don't know how they are doing it this year

I thought the same thing because many people last year got off the holding pattern within a week and other people were put on the waiting list. I don't see lot of people being put on the hold list this year. I don't know how they are doing it this year
I am just applying for UIC, because i really did not want to go to any other school!! I was pretty confident even after i got put on the hold but now I am so worried. It's so frustrating to wait for their respond few more weeks. :bang:

Tall guy with the glasses? Congrats man! Idk about you, but the Michigan interview was a bit stressful compared to the UIC one.. we should hear back in a couple days though.

I liked Michigan's better because of the traditional format. UIC's MMI format completely threw me off! Hahaha. But congrats on your acceptance! If you get into Michigan, which of the two would you choose?

can i ask you what is your stats?

The dean did mention that all out-of-staters can get in-state tuition after a year. For current out-of-state students, did you find it to be a straightforward process or were there challenges?

I'm surprised that the dean told you this, because when I went a few of the students and a man who works in student affairs said it was very difficult to obtain in-state status any of the four years if you start off as an out-of-state student.

the one who got accepted or got put on holding patterns, can you guys share your stats please

Are they interviewing this week? I read a post stating that they do the interview every other week?

I liked Michigan's better because of the traditional format. UIC's MMI format completely threw me off! Hahaha. But congrats on your acceptance! If you get into Michigan, which of the two would you choose?

Yeah I also like the traditional format, but I kinda messed up on the second interview. Hmmm I still need to find out how easy it is to get in-state tuition in UIC because I know Michigan does not do that for out-of-staters. Cost is one of the biggest factors for me. What would you pick between UIC and Michigan?

I'm surprised that the dean told you this, because when I went a few of the students and a man who works in student affairs said it was very difficult to obtain in-state status any of the four years if you start off as an out-of-state student.

Yep she definitely did. According to this, the hardest part would be earning 50% of tuition. It would be awesome if current students could chime in :)

http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/residentreg.cfm