University of Illinois--Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Music333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard much about UIC on this board. Does anyone have insight or opinions on it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't offer much info on that program--I'm starting their CHS MPH program this fall. I found little info on the school/program online and relied on a visit and getting in touch with 3-4 current/former students. Sorry I can't help more!

And what did you find out about the CHS department? I am admitted to that program too.

I second that--what did you find out about CHS and UIC in general?

I didn't get to visit for their CHS visit day, visited a few weeks before that. If anyone was there for the visit day, please let me know how it was!
Funding climate here seemed different than at several other schools I was considering- a healthy majority of CHS MPH students are able to find RA/TA/GA positions (mostly within SPH but also in associated depts, esp psych) that come with full tuition waiver and stipend. Naturally, the # of positions available will be declining this year due to budget cuts. One student commented that the SPH is not well connected to their medical school (although the interdisciplinary Women's Health Concentration might bridge that gap slightly).

All students I talked to reported that faculty made themselves very available to students and they were largely happy with the quality of teaching. Only complaints I heard were about the quality of their online courses (several core courses only offered online). Staff and faculty commented to me that the student population seems to be skewing younger but is otherwise very diverse. Class size was comparable to all other schools I looked at. Program seems very well integrated with area communities/agencies/future employers.

Never was able to find out why their acceptance rate is so low. Since it's a school-wide ranking I'd suspect that other depts within the SPH may be more competitive than CHS. Though it's not very important to me, I will say that I liked their campus, though barely got to see it. Now I just need to figure out what neighborhood to live in!

Last edited:
Southerncharm, did you also visit the school? If so, what were your thoughts on the program?

I was an MHA at UIC-SPH and I cannot speak directly for the Epi program but I have heard that the Epi and Biostats divisions are among the best in the country. The professors are all really good and produce really strong MPH alums.

I am currently an MPH student in the Epi department at UIC. My exeprience has been great so far. The Epi classes aren't easy but the professors are great and always available and helpful. Most students in the Epi department are helpful too and there are lots of research opportunities in the form of RA/GA at UIC and near by hospitals such as Rush University Medical Center and Cook County.

This is good to hear!
teshi, does UIC accept non-science majors into the Epi program? (On the website they said they prefer science majors.)

Is UIC in a good neighborhood/area?

i will be attending HPA MPH this fall. anyone have any suggestions as to how i could land an RA/TA/GA position?

Music333: They do accept non-science majors. A few of my friends in the Epi department were Sociology and Anthropology majors in undergrad. The school of public health is not in a bad area, its in the Illinois Medical District and very close to little Italy. But then again, just like all areas, you have to be aware of your surroundings and not walk alone in the dark at 3 am in the morning!

Travoltage: As for RA/GA positions, keep checking the UIC events calender, they usually have openings posted there. Also, if you have already accepted your admission offer, set up your UIC email and sign up for the Epi listservs. Also, you can personally contact professors to ask if they have any open positions available. Try to email and apply for as many positions as you can over the summer. Most students end up getting a position after the first semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has submitted their deposit received any further information? I was accepted and mailed my check a month or so ago and the check has been cashed...but no info yet... I wonder when they will have us meet with our advisors, etc..

Hi wiscoscience, I'm not sure what track you're in but for the CHS program I've heard very little since sending in my deposit. Registration started yesterday and my first communication from the department came late in the day. I already contacted my advisor since the acceptance letter gave me their contact info so that might be a good starting point or at least emailing the program coordinator to check in.

For those of you in UIC or those who have gone to UIC - what were your stats i.e. GPA, GRE, any prior experience if you don't mind me asking :)

How competitive is admissions for UIC? Apparently it has one of the lower acceptance rates for PH schools, but I know that also includes MS, PhD, etc.

as far as my stats:

major: biochemistry and molecular biology
gpa: 3.4
gre: 1200
extra stuff: 3 years parasitological research
2 years teaching assistant
hundreds of hours in community / school volunteering
various leadership positions in school
1 ncbi publication

illinois resident

has anyone had any luck getting any assistantships?

i cant seem to find any in the school of mph or elsewhere

Hi,
I'm moving to Chicago in August to start an MPH in Epidemiology, and am looking for 1 or 2 roommates, let me know if you are interested.

How competitive is admissions for UIC? Apparently it has one of the lower acceptance rates for PH schools, but I know that also includes MS, PhD, etc.

I'm not sure, but I was accepted to the PhD in Epi (general rule of thumb for any PhD program: ~5-20% acceptance). My sig has other schools I was accepted to this admissions cycle.

MPH GPA: 3.5
GRE: 520V/730Q/5AW
4 years research, 2 years full-time RA

has anyone had any luck getting any assistantships?

i cant seem to find any in the school of mph or elsewhere

I was awarded a TA position in the school after I received my acceptance packet in the mail (back in March). My potential adviser called me and told me about the TA.

Of course, I was accepted to the PhD program and coming in with a MPH, so... it'll obviously be different for MPH folks since you can't TA a class you haven't any experience in.

Contact your adviser about available positions.

Last edited:
Does UIC offer merit scholarships?

Last edited:
here are my stats

BS, Univ of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
major: respiratory care
major GPA: 3.9
overall gpa: 3.7
gre: 1180
work experience: work as a PICU/NICU respiratory therapist
just moved to chicago, still technically a texas resident
first generation college graduate, come from socially disadvantaged background

competitive or not?

Of course you are competitive, my dear competitor, of course you are.
PS: :diebanana: