University of Illinois-UPR Track Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babybichon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:cool: Hi guys, I've been wondering, where are those 124 other people that I'm going to spend my first year of med school with? If you're here on SDN, and if you want to start getting in touch with your future classmates, please start posting. I hope to get to know you before Aug 15! :)

Members don't see this ad.

babybichon said:
:cool: Hi guys, I've been wondering, where are those 124 other people that I'm going to spend my first year of med school with? If you're here on SDN, and if you want to start getting in touch with your future classmates, please start posting. I hope to get to know you before Aug 15! :)

Yayy *claps hands in glee*! That's such a good idea!! (considering the regular UIC forum is getting a tad too Chicago-geared).
Uhm, other than that I don't really have anything substantial to post. I'm from the northeast, have never seen Urbana-Champaign so I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into :)

If anyone knows anything about life in any of the UPR towns, this is the place to post!

I also applaud you for this new thread babybichon :D !! Hopefully we attract only positive attention here. I really love the advice on the other thread, but I can do without the negativity! So yeah...tell us all about UPR Illi people! I am all ears!! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I have actually had the benefit of visiting the Chicago, Urbana, and Rockford campuses. I was assigned to the only campus I hadn't visited, Peoria. I interviewed for the Medical Scholars Program at UIUC and got to stay for a couple of days. Comming from California, U/C (Urbana/Champaign) definately fit the description of a small midwest city. It was a 25-30 minute flight from O'hare to the small airport on the outskirts of town. Driving around, it seemed like it had all the modern conveniences, like electricity, running water, and every fast food chain you could think of. I'm not sure on the size of the entire community but it seemed like you could drive across town in 45 minutes, maybe even walk. The campus was really impressive. It is huge. The medical science building is a older brick building, nothing too impressive. As compared to the COM at Chicago, I would say they are in similar condition. There seems to be plenty of housing, both in apartments and houses. It has its fair share of bars, clubs, and restaurants. I think you definately need a car, but that statement should be taken with a grain of salt since I'm from california and live in symbiosis with my car. Hope my ramblings made sense. I also can't wait to be an M1 and go onto the UIC class of 2011 thread.

Hi guys, I don't know much about Urbana or Peoria either. Although I was assigned to Peoria, I am much more familiar with Rockford, I have close friends who live there. But everyone I know who has been to Peoria has said to me that it is a beautiful and peaceful city, so I'm excited about living there. I've been to the U of I Urbana med school website and I have not found any helpful information about what to expect and how to prepare for the incoming schoolyear. All I know right now is that orientation starts Aug 15, there is an information packet to be sent out next week, and that if you are going to get health insurance through the school, coverage won't start until the first day of class (not on the first day of August and not on the first day of orientation).

Oh,yeah, I forgot to talk about apartments. U of I has on-campus housing, there are 2 apartment buildings, one of them is called the Goodwin-Green apartments (not sure about the name). The 1-bedroom apartment which was about 530 or 540 square feet, {there is a video tour of the apartment online} costs a whopping $690 (rent includes local telephone and basic cable). It looked huge, but for the square footage, I think you can get a similar-sized apartment close enough to the school for $550. The rent for the apartments I've looked at online do not cover utilities, except maybe trash removal or they offer free off-street parking. Some of the aparments are available furnished.

My concern right now is finding an apartment that is in a safe area. If anyone knows anything about any areas to avoid or has areas to recommend, please do so.

Hello everyone...
I will be starting in Urbana in August (on the Rockford track). I am from Champaign, so if you have any questions about the living situation here, let me know. Champaign is a pretty good place to live. The cost of living is cheap and downtown is really growing. There are lots of bars and restaurants (and not just the chain ones). This weekend Roger Ebert and John Malkovich are in town for Ebertfest, which is a film festival.
I look forward to meeting everyone in August.

I think this thread got a little lost. So bump bump bump...

dr.choc said:
I think this thread got a little lost. So bump bump bump...

yeah, I'll second that (as usual)

Hmm, in other exciting news, I just got my orientation packet in the mail today from the Urbana office. I just wanted to help the cause with an extra post :)

Oh yes, and if anyone knows--does Sprint have good cell phone reception in Urbana? I'm thinking of switching to them because I'm digging the "free after 7 pm" deal.

md2010??? said:
yeah, I'll second that (as usual)

Hmm, in other exciting news, I just got my orientation packet in the mail today from the Urbana office. I just wanted to help the cause with an extra post :)

Oh yes, and if anyone knows--does Sprint have good cell phone reception in Urbana? I'm thinking of switching to them because I'm digging the "free after 7 pm" deal.

bump again

I got my orientation packet in the mail today, too. I saw that we have our first class on Aug 21, then our first Anatomy exam on Sep 15. great, something to look forward to :smuggrin: I have to say though, at the risk of sounding naive, that I have never heard of co-ops or federally subsidized housing. Something new to think about, but I think I'll stick to a plain old apartment. I wonder how much the school charges for parking on campus.

I'm heading to Urbana to visit the campus for the first time on May 18. I'm also going to start looking at apartments. I am SOOOO excited, but I'm also worried about how much we need to learn for our first two years.

Lastly, for those who are going to take the M-1 Proficiency exam, I salute you. I know I won't be taking any of those tests :confused:

I received my packet today, but haven't actually seen it (sent to my perm. address). My mom read some of the stuff to me, but I asked her to stop after she started skimming the academic calender saying "Exam, exam, exam, exam..." hehehe.
I was looking through the classifieds and found some very nice prices :love: . I will be flying there this summer to look at apartments, so please give us the heads up on the good apartments babybichon. I am very excited :clap: . I wonder what the proficiency exams are like. Hmmm...:barf:Sorry I couldn't resist :oops: .

dr.choc said:
I received my packet today, but haven't actually seen it (sent to my perm. address). My mom read some of the stuff to me, but I asked her to stop after she started skimming the academic calender saying "Exam, exam, exam, exam..." hehehe.
I was looking through the classifieds and found some very nice prices :love: . I will be flying there this summer to look at apartments, so please give us the heads up on the good apartments babybichon. I am very excited :clap: . I wonder what the proficiency exams are like. Hmmm...:barf:Sorry I couldn't resist :oops: .
http://www.med.uiuc.edu/sa/Incoming/PDF/April InfoPacket.pdf There is the link to view an electronic version of what was in the packet.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.choc said:
THANK YOU!!
Just wanted to say hello :p ! The other UIC thread has links to some cool dissection videos if anyone is interested. Okay, hope everyone had a great weekend!!

i know that the U of I campus is in the middle of two towns, Urbana and Champaign, and there is another town, Savoy, close by. Does anyone know whether the Urbana side or the Champaign is the "better" place to live in? I know "better" is a relative term, but for me, safety is the most important aspect. Are they basically the same? Any places we should be warned about?

hi...I am glad that we have our own thread...coz' Urbana Champaign Track seems to be different than the chicago people.
Hey...so I didn't go to the second look. does anyone know that whether we will have the curriculum change? And what did they show you guys on the second look day? Are the UPR track and Chicago people have the same second look day? Just wondering what I missed.... :rolleyes:
So ya...for the housing, which area should we look into for the apartments? And are the residence halls or the co-op houses decent places to live in?

Wow. No Idea this thread existed. Did somebody mention it in the chicago UIC thread? Definitely needed. That other thread was all chicago all the time.

But as I recall from my various visits there, Urbana and Champaign basically are the same town. There's no telling when you're in one or the other, at least when you're near/on campus. I don't know if housing is cheaper/safer in one or the other, but I can't imagine it being noticeably different. I know Champaign is the bigger of the two cities, but I think most of the campus lies primarily in Urbana, not that any of that really matters :p

Savoy/South Champaign is a good place to live, however, you have to think about parking and getting to class. The parking situation around UIUC is pretty crazy. There are a lot of cars and not many spaces available. It is also kinda expensive (I think it is $1/hour now for metered parking, which can add up if you're in class all day). They give out tickets ALL the time, too. So if you can live closer to campus and walk, ride your bike, or take the bus to class every day, you'll be fine. A lot of the apartment complexes that are further away from campus are right on the MTD bus line.

babybichon said:
Oh,yeah, I forgot to talk about apartments. U of I has on-campus housing, there are 2 apartment buildings, one of them is called the Goodwin-Green apartments (not sure about the name). The 1-bedroom apartment which was about 530 or 540 square feet, {there is a video tour of the apartment online} costs a whopping $690 (rent includes local telephone and basic cable). It looked huge, but for the square footage, I think you can get a similar-sized apartment close enough to the school for $550. The rent for the apartments I've looked at online do not cover utilities, except maybe trash removal or they offer free off-street parking. Some of the aparments are available furnished.

My concern right now is finding an apartment that is in a safe area. If anyone knows anything about any areas to avoid or has areas to recommend, please do so.
hey,
I am currently an M1 at uic - chicago, but i did 4 years of undergrad at urbana. the green city apartments is what you are referring too, i believe. they are expensive but pretty damn nice. If you would like you should check out JSM or Bankier for finding apartments, but avoid Campus property management (CPM) like the plague. I have had friends complain right and left about their apartments. its not that they are bad people, its just that they got too many apts to take care of(HAHAH). If you have a car, you can always check out melrose apartments or atrium apartments. But you guys need to go looking for apartments if you are pretty sure you wanna do the UPR track, coz the good apts dont last in urbana champaign. Its def a college town and compared to chicago, you got a pretty damn great library in Grainger to study. good luck, lemme know if i can help out with ne questions. other than that, congratulations!

i've been assigned to the rockford campus and just got my information packet but haven't had a chance to go through it yet so i don't know wat to ask. but this is a much needed thread and i'm happy that babybichon started it.
about myself: i did my undergrad at uic (class of 05). i'm not familiar with UIUC and surrounding areas so I wanted to take a trip down there in the next 2-3 weeks. I live near woodfield mall in Schaumburg (nw suburb of chicago about 40 mins.) i'd be interested in car-poolin with anybody who would like to visit for a day and check out the place. please pm me if anyone is interested. any help from those familiar with the housing (proximity to campus, $$$ etc. ) would be much appreciated.

avoid Campus property management (CPM) like the plague. I have had friends complain right and left about their apartments. its not that they are bad people, its just that they got too many apts to take care of(HAHAH).

Hi,
is Campus property management the same thing as university graduate housing? (ie Sherman/Daniels hall?)

No, as I understand it "CPM" is a private company, and in no way affiliated with the university.

Ombatay said:
No, as I understand it "CPM" is a private company, and in no way affiliated with the university.
naw, CPM is no way affiliated with the univ as ombatay said, but daniels residence halls are pretty good if you can get in there. Sherman is aite but you can get apartments that are better.

Here are some apartment rental companies that have websites and pictures of their apartments:

1. Royse Brinkmeyer apartments: www.roysebrinkmeyer.com
2. Faron Properties: www.faronproperties.com
3. Garden Court Apartments: www.gardencourts.com
4. JSM apartments: www.jsmapts.com
5. University Group: www.ugroup96.com
6. Town and Country apartments: tandcapartments.com

These are just some of the companies, I'm sure there are a lot more out there, but these websites have pictures of the apartments so you can check them out before heading to Urbana.

I am so glad people came over from the other thread :clap: !! Welcome :D ! I will be in chicago this summer (hopefully). I am trying to do the pre-mat program at the chicago site...waiting for more info. I know everyone suggests takin the summer off, but I can't help it. I am a work/school-a-holic :oops: . Anyways...If there is free time, I would like to meet up with people to look at apts. Just let me know when you are planning to visit.

dr.choc said:
I am so glad people came over from the other thread :clap: !! Welcome :D ! I will be in chicago this summer (hopefully). I am trying to do the pre-mat program at the chicago site...waiting for more info. I know everyone suggests takin the summer off, but I can't help it. I am a work/school-a-holic :oops: . Anyways...If there is free time, I would like to meet up with people to look at apts. Just let me know when you are planning to visit.

Pre-mat program? What is this? Did I miss the letter? Curious for details, please =)

manO'war said:
naw, CPM is no way affiliated with the univ as ombatay said, but daniels residence halls are pretty good if you can get in there. Sherman is aite but you can get apartments that are better.

thanks for the info people! that was a relief!

Ombatay said:
Pre-mat program? What is this? Did I miss the letter? Curious for details, please =)
I'd heard that some schools have these pre-mat programs, so I looked it up on the Urban Health Program site. Didn't find much information on there though. Instead, I just called the office to asked about it. It is an optional program, but I really need to switch from graduate science mode to medical mode.

I wonder how rigorous the premat is. I don't want to do anything hardcore but could use something to keep me on my toes. Graduate science mode may be helpful if you're doing anything remotely biological, as the basic science years can sometimes feel like they have no medical relevance whatsoever... =P

Ombatay said:
I wonder how rigorous the premat is. I don't want to do anything hardcore but could use something to keep me on my toes. Graduate science mode may be helpful if you're doing anything remotely biological, as the basic science years can sometimes feel like they have no medical relevance whatsoever... =P
This is true, but the way you approach the material is a little different ;) . I hear the program is just like the first 6 weeks of medical school. Honestly, I don't know. Call the office and ask. I am sure they can give you more details about it...(312)996-6491 or email [email protected].

Hi, I've got another inquiry going out to all the people who know the Urbana area. I'll probably need to buy a lot of stuff once I actually get to Urbana :( , and was wondering where I can find a large supermarket and housewares-type stores. I am looking for the type of place that offers more variety than the campus convenience store. Directions would be good, if you can give them!!

I know it may be a few months early to ask this sort of thing, but I'd really like to be ready with this stuff the first day I arrive there.

Your info. is genuinely appreciated!

And to the people wondering about the premat program, you should look on the class of 2009 thread...someone was saying it was pretty much three weeks of playing video games. Then again, these things are relative, so I'm not trying to influence anyone's decision. I might consider going if it's free, which at the moment is highly doubtful :p .

there is a lowe's, walmart, bestbuy on prospect av; thats where a lot of restaurants such outback, chilis, cheddars, fizzolis are too. no IKEA down there if you were wondering.

manO'war said:
there is a lowe's, walmart, bestbuy on prospect av; thats where a lot of restaurants such outback, chilis, cheddars, fizzolis are too. no IKEA down there if you were wondering.
Thanks for the info manO'war. Where is the nearest Ikea or similar?

The nearest IKEA would be in the Chicago area (like 2.5 hours away). You may just want to go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond or Linens N Things. Not much variety in these parts!

dr.choc said:
Thanks for the info manO'war. Where is the nearest Ikea or similar?
license is rite on, the nearest ikea is in schaumburg. its a nice trip in a day if you are on your way to chitown, you can do your shopping in ikea. otherwise for furniture stuff, most of the apartments are furnished, so you shud be aite; but if you wanna add some more furniture - you cud do the ikea thing. or you could get the Daily Illini (DI) or the news gazette and look at the stuff other students are selling off. its cheap, good stuff too; at least i knew plenty of my friends who had massive furniture selling things off.

I was just trying to search from Craiglist tonight for the roomate whom I can live with at Urbana Champaign....ALAS...THEY DON'T HAVE A CRAIGLIST FOR URBANA CHAMPAIGN!!! AH~~~
Anyone has idea how can I look for a roomate? Is there any forum anywhere or postings from the school?

flyingblue said:
I was just trying to search from Craiglist tonight for the roomate whom I can live with at Urbana Champaign....ALAS...THEY DON'T HAVE A CRAIGLIST FOR URBANA CHAMPAIGN!!! AH~~~
Anyone has idea how can I look for a roomate? Is there any forum anywhere or postings from the school?

hey flyingblue,
the listings you're looking for are actually under Chambana.

Good luck :)

md2010??? said:
hey flyingblue,
the listings you're looking for are actually under Chambana.

Good luck :)
Chambana is right. Hmmm...when is everyone planning to move in?

I wonder where our classes will be mostly at. Is it the medical science building? Just want to get a feel of where I should set my "anchor point" when looking at the apartment.

flyingblue said:
I wonder where our classes will be mostly at. Is it the medical science building? Just want to get a feel of where I should set my "anchor point" when looking at the apartment.

as a former UPR'er, all your classes are at the MSB (with maybe a seminar or something at an outside facility - rather rare from my memory, though). the med library's there too, and anat lab's upstairs. the chambana buses move pretty quick, though, so living near a bus line if you're outside walking distance would be a good idea. check out www.cumtd.com to see the bus lines and schedules.

only "class" outside of MSB is if you sign up for the doctor shadowing thing, then you're wherever your sponsor/advisor is.

good luck... chambana's a lot of fun (except during undergrad breaks when you're still there b/c the schedule's a bit off... then things slo-o-o-o-o-w down).

ps - people goin to rockford are more than welcome to PM me... i grew up in chicago, did the UPR and thought i'd hate it... after 3 years, methinks i'm gonna head back at some point.

-t

hey all! I'm from Peoria, born and raised, and could help with any advice on Peoria 'attractions' and 'unattractions'. Despite what some ppl say about P-town, it really is a great place to be. I didn't think that while I lived there but now when I go back I'm itching to do all the things I did when I was in HS.

On that note, I don't know much about UI SOM. I'll be in starting MI at SIU in Carbondale so I'll be just a little farther south than you Illini.

Enjoy the summer!!

s2kfan1 said:
i've been assigned to the rockford campus and just got my information packet but haven't had a chance to go through it yet so i don't know wat to ask. but this is a much needed thread and i'm happy that babybichon started it.
about myself: i did my undergrad at uic (class of 05). i'm not familiar with UIUC and surrounding areas so I wanted to take a trip down there in the next 2-3 weeks. I live near woodfield mall in Schaumburg (nw suburb of chicago about 40 mins.) i'd be interested in car-poolin with anybody who would like to visit for a day and check out the place. please pm me if anyone is interested. any help from those familiar with the housing (proximity to campus, $$$ etc. ) would be much appreciated.

Hey s2kfan1! I'm coming from UIC ('06) and the Schaumburg area, too! I went to Hoffman Estates High School ('99) and practically live part time in Barrington now. It's so cool to think I'll be in med school with people from my neighborhood! Maybe we can start a gang or something. Anyway, I spent a lazy summer and more in Champaign while my friends took summer school and with all of that extra free time I was able to size up UIUC decently. There is something for most down there, but sometimes the place can look like an MTV soap opera---the school is about 75% greek, so...yeah, but the town is dynamic and you'll surely find places to eat, sing, and dance if you want to do so. I have spent my fair share of time at the Green St. Apartments and they are pretty nice and in a convenient location to boot(especially if you want to teach Kaplan classes for extra loot) and they still run cheaper than what I've been swindled into here in Chicago. I don't know any other apt. layouts other than 4BR there, though(I haven't really researched it up). I guess I should get on the ball with this apt. hunting thing or maybe just buy a sleeping bag and make friends with my wonderful and thoughtful classmates! ;)

Oh, and Daiphon, I just wanted to thank you for all of your information about UIC-COM at Rockford- it has made me so excited to go there. :D

I 've just spent 10 hours in Urbana-Champaign and in that time, I met with 7 apartment companies. I am pretty discouraged about the housing options. It seems most of the decent apartments near the school are gone. The ones I looked at which were about 7-10 blocks away from the Medical Sciences building were old and not so nice. The two "best" apartments that I found were Garden Court apartments and Town and Country apartments. Penny, the owner of Garden Court apartments couldn't have been nicer,and the apartments are a good size, they repaint and fix everything for new tenants, there is central air, energy-effiicient windows and a nice dishwasher. There's also beautiful landscaping and a fishpond. The downfall is the location. It's about 3.2 miles (accdg to Mapquest) from the Med Sciences bldg and I don't think there's a bus stop close by. The next one is Town and Country, which is also far from the school (2.3 miles) but there's a bus stop close by. It is a huge apartment complex with huge rooms as well. I don't know how good the management company is because I've read quite a few negative comments about them. If anyone knows of any good places to live, please let me know. Apartment hunting is exhausting. Thanks.

Hi there...
You may want to look into some of the houses in Urbana or Champaign. Just walk or drive around and see who is still renting. Usually they take a big house and make it into several apartments. They have a lot of character and many are relatively close to campus (especially the ones in Urbana, sort of near Lincoln Square Mall). UIUC students tend to sign leases super-early for the following year, so it may seem that all of the 'good places' are taken. That just means you'll have to look a little harder. Good luck!

Is anybody thinking of getting a new laptop for med school? I've been wondering if I should go for a tablet where you can write and draw on the screen and save it and stuff, but I don't know if as a med student I'll be needing something fancy like that, or if a regular laptop will do. I don't want to spend the extra bucks on features that I won't really need. Any feedback?

Hey...do you guys know which campus you guys are going besides the Urbanan Champaign for the first year? Dude...I heard people said that it is included in the package, but I read it over and over again and I never found a place that specified that. I called the office today and they told me that I won't know until the spring of the first year. Is that true?

AND for those who are Californians!! Do you guys know how long will it take us to obtain residency in order to have in-state tuition? It is really crazy how much the tuition is....I called the office and they told me that one has to reside in Illinois at least one year besides the purpose of receiving education...

flyingblue said:
Hey...do you guys know which campus you guys are going besides the Urbanan Champaign for the first year? Dude...I heard people said that it is included in the package, but I read it over and over again and I never found a place that specified that. I called the office today and they told me that I won't know until the spring of the first year. Is that true?

AND for those who are Californians!! Do you guys know how long will it take us to obtain residency in order to have in-state tuition? It is really crazy how much the tuition is....I called the office and they told me that one has to reside in Illinois at least one year besides the purpose of receiving education...

They won't tell you? That's insanity. Yes, they've made it very clear to me which I'm assigned for years M2-M4, and they should be willing to tell you. I have no idea why they won't. It was clearly marked on my original assignment letter.