University of Iowa Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting this thread.

Who is applying for The University of Iowa College of Pharmacy?

What are your thoughts on U of Iowa?

:luck:Good Luck:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying here. It looks like a solid school in my opinion. Just hope I can get in :thumbup:

If I recall correctly, the dean or assistant dean said that as long as you have a pretty good gpa(3.5 or above), and a pcat composite above 80, you should get accepted unless you royally screw up on the interview. Good luck on your interview process. I can try to answer questions about their interview process if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I recall correctly, the dean or assistant dean said that as long as you have a pretty good gpa(3.5 or above), and a pcat composite above 80, you should get accepted unless you royally screw up on the interview. Good luck on your interview process. I can try to answer questions about their interview process if you have any questions.

I've got the gpa... just worried about the pcat. haven't got the scores back yet but it didn't feel so hot.

Question for ya though... How research oriented did the university seem? I'm guessing you interviewed there and declined?

I've completed my supplemental, I just have to mail it in. The school doesn't having rolling admission does it? Iowa is one of my top choices, so I'd love to get an interview invite from them.

Nope no rolling admissions. I want to take a trip down there to check out the campus before I apply since I'm from out of state.

I'm applying here. Out of stater, just hoping my numbers push me through. Love the Iowa City area though. Seems like there is a lot to do and the people are friendly!

Last edited:
-

Last edited:
I'm applying to Iowa. I love the school and program, but I'm not a huge fan of the campus... Argh.

I'm applying to Iowa. I love the school and program, but I'm not a huge fan of the campus... Argh.

Really? I thought the campus was really nice. Not too sure about the town though.

Really? I thought the campus was really nice. Not too sure about the town though.
It's massive, spread out all over the place, and uber-crowded. Good luck finding parking anywhere. I guess it doesn't matter too much for pharmacy students that it's so spread out, though.

Has anyone received an interview invitation from Iowa yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
The supplemental application fee is $100?? Oh bummer! :(

Still on my list thou :)

I know it says on the website that they want you to take Micro-econ. Does anyone know if they will accept macro-econ instead for that requirement?

I know it says on the website that they want you to take Micro-econ. Does anyone know if they will accept macro-econ instead for that requirement?

no...i asked them this quest. and they said they would consider macro as an elective and that micro is the one they want...

hope that helps!

is it just me....or i dont see that many folks on this forum interested in this school..........

i like the idea of it being a Big Ten school and the campus looks really nice...and i've heard the program is really good...

what are everyone else's thoughts???

is it just me....or i dont see that many folks on this forum interested in this school..........

i like the idea of it being a Big Ten school and the campus looks really nice...and i've heard the program is really good...

what are everyone else's thoughts???

I am a P1 student here and I am not too happy with the school. :mad:

I don't know who rated this school so high. Many of the other schools I interviewed with where much better.And right now it is cold and miserable. Wish I would have gone south, west, or east... just anywhere but here!!!:thumbdown:

Just my opinion though...

Anybody received interview invite yet? Last year people received it around 30th Dec.

I just received an interview invite. dates available were feb 5, 12 and 26...

when did they receive your application? i applied last year, got an interview invitation in late december but unfortunately did not get in. i applied again this year but still haven't heard anything. i'm getting kinda nervous haha :(

when did they receive your application? i applied last year, got an interview invitation in late december but unfortunately did not get in. i applied again this year but still haven't heard anything. i'm getting kinda nervous haha :(
i was waitlisted last year...reapplied this year and haven't heard anything either....

maybe they haven't reviewed our applications, they just got all my stuff last week. hopefully they send out more invitations!

Last year I was invited late January for the interview but could not get in. We still have whole month, just need to wait:)

Im a out of stater applying to the school. Do you guys know how many people get interview invites and how many they usually accept? I know pharmcas has some publish numbers but I didnt know if they are accurate.

Im a out of stater applying to the school. Do you guys know how many people get interview invites and how many they usually accept? I know pharmcas has some publish numbers but I didnt know if they are accurate.
i want to say that they sent out 300 interview invites, offered admission to 150...

Received my interview invite! Still deciding which date and time to go for.

Mind me asking those of you who have interviews when you turned in your PharmCAS and supplemental apps?

I still haven't heard anything other than they have received everything and it looked good to them.

I have my interview set for February 5th! It does not sound like it will be too stressful of an interview.

Mind me asking those of you who have interviews when you turned in your PharmCAS and supplemental apps?

I still haven't heard anything other than they have received everything and it looked good to them.

I submitted my both PharmCAS and supplemental application in October and got the confirmation of receiving my application in November. Like I said before you still have whole January, you will get to know your status. Good luck and don't worry!

U of Iowa is highly over rated. Choose wisely before choosing here. I go here and in my opinion the facilities are outdated, the school is poorly administrated and the professors do not really care.

Make sure to ask about the crime rate.

Parking is horrible.

Shop around!!!

Interview invite via e-mail at about 1:30 today.

U of Iowa is highly over rated. Choose wisely before choosing here. I go here and in my opinion the facilities are outdated, the school is poorly administrated and the professors do not really care.

Make sure to ask about the crime rate.

Parking is horrible.

Shop around!!!

To be fair, you've only had 1 semester so far, so how can you make blanket statements that the professors don't care when you've only had a few? Yes, some are bad and a little arrogant, but others are amazing. The same can be said for just about any school out there. The building is older, but you already knew that before you came here (tours are provided at the interview) so you can't really complain about it - you chose it. The practice lab is pretty up to date, though, and that matters more than how old the desk you sit in for lecture is.

To me, parking isn't bad at all. If you expect there to be an abundance of free parking, that's probably where your problem lies. There are parking garages all over the place, along with the metered parking. Either fork out the money for the garages and meters, get a bus pass, or get a permit for the student lots. Don't expect anything for free.

In response to your earlier statement about it being cold and miserable...it's Iowa and it's January. What did you expect? Beaches, sunshine, and palm trees? This winter has actually been pretty mild compared to the last 2 years, by far. But, for those who don't like snow, you probably wouldn't like it here much, at least not during the winter, so be forewarned.

To everyone else, just make the most of your interview visit. Take the time to look around and ask lots of questions. Get the answers you need to make an informed decision for yourself and what you think is the best option for you. Whether it's here or somewhere else, good luck to you!

I'm a P4 at Iowa so if anyone has any questions regarding the COP, Iowa City, etc... feel free to PM me!

Anyone else have an interview this weekend? Kinda worried about my 5 1/2 hour drive out in the oncoming blizzard.

Anyone else have an interview this weekend? Kinda worried about my 5 1/2 hour drive out in the oncoming blizzard.

I live in Iowa City and the blizzard dumped a lot of snow on us. The roads are not clear yet but hopefully they are clear by this weekend.

Good luck on your interview and be careful.

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the roll call for 2014/2015. Please post in the sticky thread or PM me your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).:)

I had a good interview at U of I on the 5th. My first choice is University of Iowa.

Does anyone remember when the admission committee was going to meet and decide?

And how fast they would respond with yes, no, or maybe?

Good Luck to everyone:xf:

I interviewed on the 5th as well. Interview went great! It was all very laid back and fun. The small essay was laid back as well.

It seemed like they are going to be putting together our total applications this week and the committee will start reviewing them next week sometime. The dean said it would be kind of random although. We could possibly hear back by the end of the month, but more likely march.

Also, he said they make around 200 offers for 300 people who get interviews. That's not bad odds. Especially if you have a degree.

later!

They do their darndest to get things done by April 1st. In prior years acceptances have come out in small batches after committee meetings, about once a week.

I agree, the odds are pretty good once you have gotten to the interview.