2018 University of Iowa college of pharmacy class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks!
Didn't they say we should hear by today or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I interviewed on 2/1. Did anyone else get an email from Dean Kelly way back when you first submitted just your PharmCAS application (not your supplemental)? I heard from some of my coworkers who are in Pharmacy School here now that if you get one, it means that he likes your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone...I just got my acceptance email today! Super excited... interviewed on the 25th
Anybody else?

Hi everyone...I just got my acceptance email today! Super excited... interviewed on the 25th
Anybody else?
congrats!
do you know anyone else who heard today?
I had an interview on the same day as you.
Also, where are you from? Like what state?

I know a couple people that got accepted today. I interviewed on the 25th in the morning. I believe they should finish going over the AM 25th interviews next week. They'll accept all the "auto-ins" and put the rest of us that aren't quite perfect into specified groups to go over after all the other applicants have been reviewed. Good Luck, everyone!!! Hopefully we'll hear back sooner rather than later. :)

I know a couple people that got accepted today. I interviewed on the 25th in the morning. I believe they should finish going over the AM 25th interviews next week. They'll accept all the "auto-ins" and put the rest of us that aren't quite perfect into specified groups to go over after all the other applicants have been reviewed. Good Luck, everyone!!! Hopefully we'll hear back sooner rather than later. :)
Do you know if they are still going to let people know rest of this week or was today the only day for this week and everyone else has to wait till next week?

To my knowledge, they only meet to deliberate once a week. I'm fairly certain they wont be sending any out until they meet again. They'll be meeting every week from now until the end of April though, so we still have plenty of time.

To my knowledge, they only meet to deliberate once a week. I'm fairly certain they wont be sending any out until they meet again. They'll be meeting every week from now until the end of April though, so we still have plenty of time.
So is it that they only accepted auto ins today or is it that they haven't even gone through all the auto ins?

congrats!
do you know anyone else who heard today?
I had an interview on the same day as you.
Also, where are you from? Like what state?
Thank you! I am a MN resident and IA was my top sch since I had done my summer research here and I liked the sch

"The rest of us that aren't perfect"
I don't think that statement is right..I just got accepted but my stats weren't all glitter..goodluck to eveyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Im so nervous! I interviewed on feb/1st. Stats arent great... but felt confident about the interview. Is this the first week they started accepting people?

Im so nervous! I interviewed on feb/1st. Stats arent great... but felt confident about the interview. Is this the first week they started accepting people?

Yeah, I've heard from current pharmacy students that they go through the the applicants by interview session every week and pick out who they want right away, and then put the rest into a collective pool and admit people accordingly afterwards. This might not be accurate though. I interviewed on the 2/1, as well, in the morning. I doubt they've even gotten to our interview date. Best of luck!

To those already had an interview... Can you tell me how many people interviewed you? Was it one-on-one? How long was it? How long was the essay portion?

I have an interview on Saturday and I just want to know what to expect before I go in.

It is a 30 minute, closed file, 3 on 1 interview with a current student, practitioner, and an alum(?). It was more like a friendly chat rather than an interview. Be yourself! You get 30 minutes to answer two questions on the essay portion. Don't stress! The interview day was a lot more lax compared to other schools I interviewed at.

edit:// Faculty member, apparently!

To those already had an interview... Can you tell me how many people interviewed you? Was it one-on-one? How long was it? How long was the essay portion?

I have an interview on Saturday and I just want to know what to expect before I go in.
You will be interviewed by 3 people all at the same time; a faculty member, a current pharmacy student and a practitioner..pharmacist..I felt like they had so many questions but time goes first.
The essay is 30 minutes and you have 2 questions to answer all within the 30 min limit...dont panic though..super easy n just be honest.

Goodluck to you!

Has anyone heard anything??? This wait is killing me lol

I have an appointment with Dean Kelly tomorrow to go over my application and my chances of getting in. I'll let you all know what he says.

I just got back from meeting with Dean Kelly and he said that the admissions committee won't be looking at my application until Mar. 10th. I interviewed on 2/1 AM.

That's when I interviewed. Thanks for the feedback

To those who got accepted,

Can you guys share your stat?

I got an interview on Feb, 22. I also emailed Dean Kelly asking my situation, he said "You are a candidate that is certainly qualified but will not be an early admission because your PCAT score is a little on the low side. It does not mean you cannot be admitted. I can assure you that you will get a fair hearing and we understand that students that have ESL do struggle a little with the PCAT. We will get you a decision as quickly as we can." What does it really mean?

I got accepted March 6th. I interviewed Feb. 1st in the afternoon with a decent interview. I completed all of my pre pharmacy reqs at the University of Iowa. I had a 97 pcat. Pharmcas GPA was a 3.98. However I did not have any previous pharmacy experience and not many EC's.

Last edited:
To those who got accepted,

Can you guys share your stat?

I got an interview on Feb, 22. I also emailed Dean Kelly asking my situation, he said "You are a candidate that is certainly qualified but will not be an early admission because your PCAT score is a little on the low side. It does not mean you cannot be admitted. I can assure you that you will get a fair hearing and we understand that students that have ESL do struggle a little with the PCAT. We will get you a decision as quickly as we can." What does it really mean?

Dean Kelly tends to be really honest, so I don't think there's any hidden meaning behind this. Like, if he thinks that you don't have a chance, he'll be frank about it (I've heard that's happened before actually). Keep in mind though, he doesn't have any control over what the admissions committee does, so this is all just based off of his experience. I think they're still going through all the applications. You'll probably hear back around April? I know, it's late and I'm getting impatient, too. It probably wouldn't hurt to shoot him another email in late April if you haven't heard anything, though.

Dean Kelly tends to be really honest, so I don't think there's any hidden meaning behind this. Like, if he thinks that you don't have a chance, he'll be frank about it (I've heard that's happened before actually). Keep in mind though, he doesn't have any control over what the admissions committee does, so this is all just based off of his experience. I think they're still going through all the applications. You'll probably hear back around April? I know, it's late and I'm getting impatient, too. It probably wouldn't hurt to shoot him another email in late April if you haven't heard anything, though.

Dean Kelly said that I should hear back around end of March, were you in the interview on Feb 22?

I got accepted this afternoon. I actually e-mailed Dean Kelly about my admission status because I needed to find a place to live if I did not get into Iowa. He said that my application was put on delay because the admissions committee wanted to see the entire applicant pool and that they are very close to finishing up the admissions process. Right after he responded to me, I received my acceptance e-mail. It seemed like they were holding acceptance notifications or something. It was a little strange. But I will be attending UI this fall!

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted the middle of last week! And my interview was on February 1st, if anybody was wondering. I do know that they're on spring break right now (FYI to everybody who doesn't go to Iowa) so they wont look at anymore until next week.

Hi everyone who got accepted last week. Did you guys email the person and got the documents? I haven't received any formal documents yet so I was just wondering...

Hi everyone who got accepted last week. Did you guys email the person and got the documents? I haven't received any formal documents yet so I was just wondering...

Like cpht15 mentioned, it's Spring Break this week, so people are probably out of the office. I totally forgot and was wondering too! :)

I got my acceptances on March 11th and immediately replied to Teresa and then got my preliminary papers in the mail that Friday, the 14th. Now I am just waiting for all the other super official papers to come with all the other info!

Hi I interviewed on 2/1. Did anyone else get an email from Dean Kelly way back when you first submitted just your PharmCAS application (not your supplemental)? I heard from some of my coworkers who are in Pharmacy School here now that if you get one, it means that he likes your application.

I did receive one. I never really though about it like that.

Hey is anybody thinking about starting a Facebook group? Or is there one already? I know talking to Richard he says there always ends up being one but I don't know when or how it comes about haha

I interviewed on Feb. 1 and still have not heard anything. :oops:

I think I have competitive stats (3.55 GPA 95 PCAT) and even received an email from Dean Kelly saying he hoped to get me an admission offer as soon as possible, but it has been months and now im really starting to worry. I tried emailing him again yesterday, but I havent gotten a response. How long did it take those of you that emailed him to get a response? Am I just being paranoid?

I interviewed on Feb. 1 and still have not heard anything. :oops:

I think I have competitive stats (3.55 GPA 95 PCAT) and even received an email from Dean Kelly saying he hoped to get me an admission offer as soon as possible, but it has been months and now im really starting to worry. I tried emailing him again yesterday, but I havent gotten a response. How long did it take those of you that emailed him to get a response? Am I just being paranoid?

Yes, I think you're being paranoid. :)
Give it another day or so, he might be busy. Or you can try emailing Richard? He might being able to tell you something.

I completely agree with nango. You are well above their "early admission" baselines.

I got my acceptance letter today!! Hope you all get in as well. See you this Fall!!

I was accepted yesterday. I interviewed on feb 1.

Hi all,
just a quick question. so at this point if you are still taking classes finishing up your pre-reqs, as long as you get above C- in all classes including like the necessary ones, such as anatomy and physiology, etc, then you should be fine right? The C- applies to all classes not just non-science classes right?
Thanks!

Also, I am looking for a female roommate to live at Aspire At West Campus :190 Hawkeye Court, Iowa City, IA 52240
It's $550 per person and you can find more info or ask questions about things by going to their website:
raduate student or faculty of The University of Iowa.
If you are interested in applying and reserving your apartment, you are welcome to apply via our website atwww.aspireatwestcampus.com
also, there is a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aspirewestcampus

Also, I am looking for a female roommate to live at Aspire At West Campus :190 Hawkeye Court, Iowa City, IA 52240
It's $550 per person and you can find more info or ask questions about things by going to their website:
raduate student or faculty of The University of Iowa.
If you are interested in applying and reserving your apartment, you are welcome to apply via our website atwww.aspireatwestcampus.com
also, there is a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/aspirewestcampus

I am also looking for a roommate. I am planning on living in Iowa for a year before I start school.

I would like to know can an out of state student pay in-state tuition from their second year onward?