University of Kentucky College of Dentistry Class of 2020

Are applicants required to submit proof of hours shadowed? I Shadowed a dentist a while back, and I lost contacted with him so I am really worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Are applicants required to submit proof of hours shadowed? I Shadowed a dentist a while back, and I lost contacted with him so I am really worried.

Last year we were required to have the dentists we shadowed fax in a piece of paper with hours and their signature.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year we were required to have the dentists we shadowed fax in a piece of paper with hours and their signature.

That's odd that they would accept a signature via fax. You said UK did this last year?

*Edit: I have went back and found the email. It says that it's not exactly about the hours, it's more a way for the dentist you shadowed to share their thoughts about you because UK wouldn't contact them personally. Then it gives a footnote to say it isn't required. I'm sorry for the false info guys I was probably thinking I was going to be needing all the help I could get so it was required for me.

*Edit: I have went back and found the email. It says that it's not exactly about the hours, it's more a way for the dentist you shadowed to share their thoughts about you because UK wouldn't contact them personally. Then it gives a footnote to say it isn't required. I'm sorry for the false info guys I was probably thinking I was going to be needing all the help I could get so it was required for me.
Did you not submit a LOR from a dentist?

How many of you KY residents out there have an interview scheduled?

Hey guys I have a friend interviewing and I was helping them figure out travel arrangements. I was wondering if the University Inn is a far walk from the school to do in a suit and heels? Also can you readily get a cab from the University Inn? Thanks

The University Inn is about as close as you can get. It is probably about 4 blocks away and would honestly be an easy walk. Just my opinion. The only other option that close would be Holiday Inn Express but even then, it would probably be a bit further walk.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm starting to get frustrated about not getting an interview invite yet. Those of you whom have received an interview, how long after your application was marked as "under review" did you have to wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to get frustrated about not getting an interview invite yet. Those of you whom have received an interview, how long after your application was marked as "under review" did you have to wait?

It wasn't too long after, I think less than a week. But when they sent me the interview dates there was a list of dates to pick from. I assume that they keep that same format, they might be doing it in batches. I picked the last day from my options (the first option was 9/3) and it was 9/11. They will probably send out more interview offers when in a week or so. I wouldn't stress too much about its still really early

Hey guys I have a friend interviewing and I was helping them figure out travel arrangements. I was wondering if the University Inn is a far walk from the school to do in a suit and heels? Also can you readily get a cab from the University Inn? Thanks
I'm OOS and UK sent me a list of suggested hotels in the email confirming my interview. It even specified which ones were within walking distance. She should have gotten that email too! Also, I tried to book the University Inn three weeks in advance of my interview and it was completely booked out of rooms with two beds. My interview is the last week of August, so maybe you'll have better luck for later dates.

I'm OOS and UK sent me a list of suggested hotels in the email confirming my interview. It even specified which ones were within walking distance. She should have gotten that email too! Also, I tried to book the University Inn three weeks in advance of my interview and it was completely booked out of rooms with two beds. My interview is the last week of August, so maybe you'll have better luck for later dates.
My friend said she looked it up and it's 5-6 blocks away. My friend (at the time) was wondering from the locals if it's big blocks or not that bad to do in heels and a suit?
I think my friend is now thinking of staying at a cheaper hotel farther away.

My friend was wondering about that parking garage... You have to take a shuttle? Does it run frequently? Or can you just walk from the garage to the school? How many blocks is it from the school?

You can walk from the garage to the school. The garage connects to the hospital main entrance, and you can walk through the hospital to get to the dental school.

Are you in the 8:30am group on Aug. 28th?

Any invites go out this week? I'm still "Under Review".

My application status is the same like you. I guess they are interviewing this week, so let's hope something will come out by next.

Can you tell us how it was? Is it group or individual?
Has to be different than UofL's since they are giving multiple times to choose from on same day. Would be interested to hears any details about setup from those who interviewed this past week.

Has to be different than UofL's since they are giving multiple times to choose from on same day. Would be interested to hears any details about setup from those who interviewed this past week.
Everyone relax. It's a great school (my top choice of all I've been to/interviewed) and the interview process is more about them getting to know you as a person instead of just knowing you as "application #234 GPA 3.5 DAT 20". The whole day is very laid back and informative. You have a group of faculty/staff/alumni interview you, then you have a presentation about the school, a meeting with financial aid to help you understand the process and costs, and end the day with lunch with current students with Q&A followed by a school tour. Like I said in the beginning, RELAX. UK is an amazing school with great facilities, faculty/staff, and students.

Can you tell us how it was? Is it group or individual?
It's an individual interview with three faculty members. On my day there was a group of morning kids and then afternoon kids. The morning kids end with the tour of the school and that tour is the start of the day for the afternoon kids. Besides that you stay with your session - morning or afternoon. You get paired with a partner from your session and go around the school to different meetings with that person - don't worry they literally walk you to where you need to be. When it's time for the interview, you wait outside the room while your partner interviews and vice versa. Teauxmo13 and dent3311 are right. It's pretty easy overall. Talking to kids from the same session though, we found out the interviews weren't the same. The questions were different and they went easy on some kids and harder on others for some reason.

I guess I'm used to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details guys. Still "Under review" and my app was complete on 7/31. I'm a patient guy but the wait is brutal.

It's an individual interview with three faculty members. On my day there was a group of morning kids and then afternoon kids. The morning kids end with the tour of the school and that tour is the start of the day for the afternoon kids. Besides that you stay with your session - morning or afternoon. You get paired with a partner from your session and go around the school to different meetings with that person - don't worry they literally walk you to where you need to be. When it's time for the interview, you wait outside the room while your partner interviews and vice versa. Teauxmo13 and dent3311 are right. It's pretty easy overall. Talking to kids from the same session though, we found out the interviews weren't the same. The questions were different and they went easy on some kids and harder on others for some reason.
What made them hard?

Thanks for the details guys. Still "Under review" and my app was complete on 7/31. I'm a patient guy but the wait is brutal.

I agree my app was completed on 6/25 and I was waitlisted last year(due to my application going out in late September last year or at least that is what they told me when I asked for advice to improve my app this year), so I was really hoping to hear something by now. It's really starting to worry me! I was really hopeful for this school.

I agree my app was completed on 6/25 and I was waitlisted last year(due to my application going out in late September last year or at least that is what they told me when I asked for advice to improve my app this year), so I was really hoping to hear something by now. It's really starting to worry me! I was really hopeful for this school.

OOS.
3.77 OGPA
3.55 SGPA
22 AA, 22 TS, 20 PAT

"Held for comparison". Notified this morning (9/01).

I received the same email stating "hold for comparison". I am wondering if anyone gets an opportunity to interview after getting this response? Seems like my chances are slim. Can someone shed some light on this? I am an OOS.

I bet they are waiting til oct 1st. On the website it said people who apply before then get a preferred status. They might be letting the pool get as big as possible before they send more invites. Just a guess, I have nothing to back that up

I'm still waiting but not seeing many other interviews to UK being handed out makes the wait bearable.

Hey guys! I got an interview at UK for the end of this month. For anybody that interviewed there, could you let me know what type of questions the admission's committee will be asking? Is it general interview questions like strengths, weaknesses, tell me about yourself, etc?

Hey guys! I got an interview at UK for the end of this month. For anybody that interviewed there, could you let me know what type of questions the admission's committee will be asking? Is it general interview questions like strengths, weaknesses, tell me about yourself, etc?
It's all general questions. Know your application very well. It's very relaxed. Just keep talking :)

First of all, congrats!

When did you get the invite if you don't mind me asking? Also, did you get your supplemental app on the same day?

First of all, congrats!

When did you get the invite if you don't mind me asking? Also, did you get your supplemental app on the same day?
Thanks! I got my invite and supplemental on the same day about a week ago.