University of Kentucky College of Dentistry Class of 2020

Good luck to everyone interviewing today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally got an interview invite today! So relieved.

Question, how much did you all actually write in the secondary application?

I am still "Under Review" after being held for comparison. Do they send supplementals in OCT as well? Anyone with this scenario got anything yet?

Congrats to the ones who received interviews today!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Submitted my secondary app yesterday (that thing was no joke). My interview is on 10/30 at 11:30.

I'm interviewing on 10/29 11:30am Tennessee resident. Good luck you guise.

I'm interviewing on 10/29 11:30am Tennessee resident. Good luck you guise.

When were you notified that your application was complete/under review from UK? When was your application verified and sent through AADSAS?

My application was complete some time in July and wasn't verified and send off until the end of August. I didn't keep up with all the "received/under review" "application required/complete" stuff on AADSAS. I just randomly received an email from them saying they have invited me for an interview.

Anyone have a clue as to how many in-state interviews they do?

Nevermind, I found it on that Guide to Dental School thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received confirmation for an interview 11/7, kind of late but it is still an interview. I am oos and interviewed at three other school so far but UK is in my top 2 choices.

The supplemental app is no joke.. lol
Why not just ask me that stuff when I get there??

Wow, I just thought it was the first page.. Didn't realize there was 3 more. Now this is really insane. Lol

Last edited:

Also wondering this.

Has anyone had issues with a maximum number of characters?

Also wondering this.

Has anyone had issues with a maximum number of characters?

I ended up just writing a paragraph or two for most. Even the longest responses were no more than 3 paragraphs.

Random question: Does anyone know if Kentucky reinterviews prior applicants who've had an interview last cycle?

Can anyone whose had an interview this year give some insight on what to expect?

May be a silly question but does anyone know if the 1 week we are given for the supplemental is considered 5 business days from the time of the email or?

Just trying to give my best writing if I can.

This is a panel type interview correct?

Last edited:
Has anyone received an interview invite after the "Hold for Comparison" email?

Interviewing tomorrow morning at 8:30am. OOS. I'll let you guys know how it goes! See some of you there maybe!

Interviewing tomorrow morning at 8:30am. OOS. I'll let you guys know how it goes! See some of you there maybe!
It was very laid back. The interviewers asked very normal questions, which is a good thing. However, it felt like if I tried to tell them unique things about myself that I was talking too much. It was very question, answer, with not much discussion outside of that. The school does an excellent job of giving you info about the school and financial aid. PM if you have any questions!

It was very laid back. The interviewers asked very normal questions, which is a good thing. However, it felt like if I tried to tell them unique things about myself that I was talking too much. It was very question, answer, with not much discussion outside of that. The school does an excellent job of giving you info about the school and financial aid. PM if you have any questions!
Ah man I hate when they don't give feedback or let the conversation flow. It makes it feel so robotic..lol

Ah man I hate when they don't give feedback or let the conversation flow. It makes it feel so robotic..lol
Yeah it wasn't cold by any means but I didn't get a very "warm" feeling either. It caused me to repeat myself a lot, I think.

Yeah it wasn't cold by any means but I didn't get a very "warm" feeling either. It caused me to repeat myself a lot, I think.
Yeah I know what you mean, oh well. Just gotta do the best ya can ..

I was extremely disappointed about UKCD's one-on-one interview. It is a panel style of 3 people, one of which speaks almost entirely to you with the other two giving extremely brief chime-in questions - while at the same time writing things down looking up at you like coal miners. It felt more like a standard job interview rather than a conversation, which is an awful set-up for professional school prospects. There was little to no emotion interacting with you as the main interviewer simply looks through your file asking random questions.

Nothing was asked about my AADSAS application on factors, details, or experiences that really mattered to my growth, maturation, or fit at UK as a dental student. When you're an OOS prospect that isn't cookie cutter 4.0 and 25AA, you want to say as much on yourself as you can and how you've been prepared and ready through additional coursework, additional education, additional experiences, perspective on dentistry from different vantage points, and so on. This is surprising: their mandatory supplemental app actually hit on compelling points very well, but they completely ignored asking any of that during the interview as a means to break the ice.

They asked random things about yourself like hobbies, which is nice, but as most applicants trying to explain some experiences or thoughts related and non-related to dentistry, they were pretty dry and disengaged. It felt semantic, as if they were just going through the motions as an obligation - which could be a good or bad outcome (perhaps at that point they just wanted to see if you could talk).

That being said, I felt all of my answers were unsatisfactory to them, and I felt they didn't learn that much about me as a holistic candidate. I understand that they do this all day on multiple occasions for many people through a cycle, but if they aren't willing to be engaged as much as you are, then please find someone else to fill in.

The rest of their presentation - financial aid, outline of UK's tradition, and the dental student interaction - was complete and satisfactory. Perhaps your interaction with dental students and some of the administration, and their impression or evaluation of that, is a bigger factor for them than other schools. I just wish the actual interview (which in many programs counts the most for judging candidates past screening) was more involved.

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more about the interview process at UK. My experience was almost the exact opposite when I was there. You may have just gotten a group of 3 that didn't jive well or something.

I couldn't disagree more about the interview process at UK. My experience was almost the exact opposite when I was there. You may have just gotten a group of 3 that didn't jive well or something.

I hear you. That could definitely be it. As WearASmile said on the last page, "Talking to kids from the same session though, we found out the interviews weren't the same. The questions were different and they went easy on some kids and harder on others for some reason." I can connect and get along with virtually anybody, so it was strange to say the least - the rest of the day was extremely laid back and conversational.

What puzzled me most is that we were asked to fill out a pretty substantial secondary app with interesting questions about your thoughts and opinions on dentistry, including explaining what you bring to the table as an applicant. Yet none of this was even used as a starting point in my interview. Does the committee read the secondary before or after?

And I have no idea why some people got hammered and felt like a job interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The best parts for me were the financial info, and the panel interview. I got a lot of great info from meeting with the financial aid adviser, I got the impression that he is pretty passionate about his job, I'd pledge myself to him if I were to go there.

I thought the interview was fine, yeah they asked cookie cutter questions, but it was pretty easy to divert those into interesting conversations. They asked me why I wanted to be a dentist, they asked about my undergrad record, I asked if they had reviewed my DAT scores, they asked about "something I learned about myself from a volunteer experience"... Pretty predictable questions. I asked about their research, about the new dean, we went over our time slot and had a good laugh here or there. Maybe I got a group that was in a good mood, I wasn't expecting them to really care that much about me as a person from the get go.

I enjoyed meeting the students, they were pretty into talking to us and showing us what they do on a daily basis. The remainder of the day was kind of boring, the presentation about the school, the libraries and such... nothing I didn't already find out on the website.

Yikes, well I guess I will find out. I'm interviewing on Saturday at 830am.. Although I am crippled now lol. I just found out I have a herniated disc and I can hardly walk, so hopefully I'm go to go by then. Lol otherwise ima be walking around like gramps!!

Yikes, well I guess I will find out. I'm interviewing on Saturday at 830am.. Although I am crippled now lol. I just found out I have a herniated disc and I can hardly walk, so hopefully I'm go to go by then. Lol otherwise ima be walking around like gramps!!
It would be a good ice breaker, at least... You will do fine. They weren't the most welcoming to me but the interview will be what you make it. Good luck!

It would be a good ice breaker, at least... You will do fine. They weren't the most welcoming to me but the interview will be what you make it. Good luck!
Thanks a lot! I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

I had a great interview experience at UKCD. I had the opportunity to speak at length and felt very satisfied with my time in front of the panel.

I was extremely disappointed about UKCD's one-on-one interview. It is a panel style of 3 people, one of which speaks almost entirely to you with the other two giving extremely brief chime-in questions - while at the same time writing things down looking up at you like coal miners. It felt more like a standard job interview rather than a conversation, which is an awful set-up for professional school prospects. There was little to no emotion interacting with you as the main interviewer simply looks through your file asking random questions.

Nothing was asked about my AADSAS application on factors, details, or experiences that really mattered to my growth, maturation, or fit at UK as a dental student. When you're an OOS prospect that isn't cookie cutter 4.0 and 25AA, you want to say as much on yourself as you can and how you've been prepared and ready through additional coursework, additional education, additional experiences, perspective on dentistry from different vantage points, and so on. This is surprising: their mandatory supplemental app actually hit on compelling points very well, but they completely ignored asking any of that during the interview as a means to break the ice.

They asked random things about yourself like hobbies, which is nice, but as most applicants trying to explain some experiences or thoughts related and non-related to dentistry, they were pretty dry and disengaged. It felt semantic, as if they were just going through the motions as an obligation - which could be a good or bad outcome (perhaps at that point they just wanted to see if you could talk).

That being said, I felt all of my answers were unsatisfactory to them, and I felt they didn't learn that much about me as a holistic candidate. I understand that they do this all day on multiple occasions for many people through a cycle, but if they aren't willing to be engaged as much as you are, then please find someone else to fill in.

The rest of their presentation - financial aid, outline of UK's tradition, and the dental student interaction - was complete and satisfactory. Perhaps your interaction with dental students and some of the administration, and their impression or evaluation of that, is a bigger factor for them than other schools. I just wish the actual interview (which in many programs counts the most for judging candidates past screening) was more involved.

I was also an OOS candidate and was very disappointed with my interview back in August. This was the worst interview I had solely because it felt robotic and that they were bored and uninterested with my answers. It's hard to feel good about the interview when you get poor interaction/feedback! I was disappointed I traveled so far to feel like I wasted my time. It probably just depends on the group that you had as interviewers.

I forgot to share this and it is probably a given, I just thought it was interesting though, during my interview they told me that they didn't care about the PAT score at all.

Like I said, probably what most assumed. I just wanted to confirm it.

Reactions: 2 users
I had a great interview experience at UKCD. I had the opportunity to speak at length and felt very satisfied with my time in front of the panel.

I had the same experience as UKalum. I guess experience may vary on who you get as interviewers!

Just interviewed today and mine was awesome. Everyone was very friendly and helpful! Thought it was a great school and environment.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Just thought I would drop in and give a little encouragement for the application process. I am a current student at UKCD. Don't get too discouraged in the process or read into others experiences, it can cause more anxiety than necessary. The interviews are supposed to be laid back and an opportunity for you to see the school and get to ask questions, do not be nervous to ask questions, this is your opportunity to find out if it is a right fit for you also. Once invited to the interview sometimes stats aren't talked about because your paper application has proven you have the qualifications. The interview is more to see personality and fit for the school, so don't get nervous =) easier said than done I know I have been there once too. Try your best to have fun and really get to know those you meet while on the interview. I look back and remember what a great time I had and how much I learned about the school.

Reactions: 2 users
If offered admission to both UK and UofL, which would you choose? My wife has been asking this question for months and Ihavent had an answer for her.

On one hand, Louisville's facilities are unbelievable. I'm not sure they could be topped. But their classes are twice the size and it seems easier to get patients at UK. I also prefer the location of UK over UofL in regards to where they are in their respective cities. Board pass rates and costs are very similar.

I would feel fortunate to go to either and even more so to have a choice between them. What are you all thinking?

If offered admission to both UK and UofL, which would you choose? My wife has been asking this question for months and Ihavent had an answer for her.

On one hand, Louisville's facilities are unbelievable. I'm not sure they could be topped. But their classes are twice the size and it seems easier to get patients at UK. I also prefer the location of UK over UofL in regards to where they are in their respective cities. Board pass rates and costs are very similar.

I would feel fortunate to go to either and even more so to have a choice between them. What are you all thinking?

I have the same dilemma. If I receive offers from both I think I would have to choose UK. ULs facility is top notch and the faculty were outstanding when I went for my interview. I had a bad experience with UK CoD one time which has stuck with me too, but I cant shake the feeling that I'd be happier at UK due to the smaller class size and the city itself. I think I'd feel out of place living in Louisville so that's why I'm leaning more towards UK, but I would be more than happy to go to either of these schools. Good luck! hopefully we will both have to be thinking about this a lot more come next Tuesday!

I saw someone on another thread say that their status for UK on AADSAS was changed to "Check back on Dec. 1st". Mine hasn't changed. What about everyone else?

FWIW, my status changed to "check back Dec. 1" earlier than most last year, and I got a rejection on Dec. 1. Not trying to scare anyone or anything, just sharing my past experience. My status has not changed from "Invited for Interview", yet this cycle. No clue what kind of correlation there is with when it changes, or if there is any correlation what so ever.

My status changed to "please check back on December 1st for more information regarding your decision status with this school." I am very ready for next Tuesday.

Last edited: