University of Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neigh2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this program? I have not been able to find much useful information by searching the forum. I am particularly interested in the quality of regional experience residents get here. Any other useful information would be great as well. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about this program? I have not been able to find much useful information by searching the forum. I am particularly interested in the quality of regional experience residents get here. Any other useful information would be great as well. Thanks.

sent you a pm

Amyl-

Does that mean you've interviewed at UKY? If so, what did you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
UK is a great place to train. I am a CA-3 at UK (so I may be a little biased). We see a very broad-base of cases. The acuity of the patients seems to be higher than it was when I arrived (also based on the opinion of the attendings). We get a great experience in regional. The attendings are very helpful. Our anesthesia techs do a great job. There is a lot of support from the faculty and staff. You will get all of your case numbers without a problem. You have plenty of opportunity for internal moonlighting. We have a 100% written board pass rate. Every 6 months there are mock-orals. If you come to UK you will receive excellent training. Those who have finished report back that they have very little difficulty transitioning to practice. :cool:

Why? Its difficult for me to believe the entire program "sucks" without any facts to back that statement up.

Coastie. I would love to hear a thorough "Coastie review" if you have a chance:)

Kentucky stands out because, at least as of last interview cycle, they paid up to $300 in interview expenses. Fortunately for the program, that's the least of the positives..

First, the area. Lexington is a bit rural, but it's very beautiful and appealing even to the NE city folks. The night before, the paid hotel was a very nice suite style place, with everyone meeting downstairs before dinner. The resident to interviewee ratio was at least 1:2, if not 1:1.5, making for plenty of conversation over dinner. The dinner had to have been one of the best I had on the interview trail: no expense was spared, and the residents were very honest with what they thought of the program. To be honest, I don't remember all the negatives, but I remember the positives: decent moonlighting (1-2k a month), GREAT didactics (probably the best of any program), and a comfortable, yet well-rounded schedule. They told me that they work just below or at average hours.

Interview day was nice: Cool folders to each interviewee, as well as a personal touch from the PD, which is not common at other programs. I felt that each interviewer was pretty well-versed with my application, and did a great job selling the program. One of the biggest standouts was the didactics, which, as I said above, ranked second to none on the interview trail. Research wise, I don't remember exact specifics (hey, it was over a year ago), but I believe it was fairly average with a projected upward trend.

The PD is a great guy: Very straightforward, respectful, and energetic regarding his program. Like I said, he knew my file in and out, and even inquired regarding personal aspects of the applicants which were appropriate and thoughtful. The tour was uneventful, but the residents were available throughout the day to answer questions.

Overall feeling: Nice location, nice interview/wine&dine, second-to-none didactics, average but trending up research, above average moonlighting, happy residents, personable and energetic PD, probably not great prep for academics. I ranked them in the top 5, and would have been happy to end up there.

Check came within 1.5 weeks of interview. I'd say it's the top program between KY/IN/OH/WV/Western PA/Most of IL area. Yes, that includes Case and CCF.

Just had my UK interview...here are a few of my thoughts to add onto the previous posts:

Lexington has a population of 250,000 and seems to be nice. More rural than some of the bigger Midwest cities, but seems to have enough do to.

The overall theme that I came away with was an emphasis on education. PD is a great guy who is actually working on his Masters in Education. During my interview, he already knew my application thoroughly and actually asked me what my wife wanted and thought about Lexington, which was great.

Didactics are basically daily in the morning. Not a heavy emphasis on research (which the Dept. Chair admitted...he said he's much more interested in education). They do something unique with the first two years in that they move a few of the traditional CBY rotations into the CA-1 year and they give you 6 months of anesthesia during your intern year.

Tons of residents showed up for the lunch session and were very friendly and honest. Seems like they see enough of everything. Just added a couple new CT surgeons to boost cardio experience. UK and Louisville are the only Level I trauma centers in Kentucky.

Just got accredited for 5 years. Program is increasing from 10 to 12 residents/year and they're also adding 2 for next year's CA-1 class. They're also in the middle of building/upgrading the medical center. It'll be done in 2011 and will add 8 more ORs.

Others also mentioned the travel reimbursement, dinner the night before, and hotel.

Bump. Any more recent experience / opinions about this program?

I have had several residents I've worked with or met in the past year speak very positively about this program, as well as a PD or two.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an attending at UK. Didn't train there, took job after residency. Feel free to PM me any questions you have.

I second that...any input on UK anesthesia?

I've heard good things about their anesthesia program and strongly considering doing an away there this fall.

Just as many academic programs, UK went through some dark times in the 1990s and early 2000s when the department went bankrupt for several reasons, and had a large number of FMGs with very limited English skills. It appears the program turned itself around. Lexington, despite its limited size, is the referral center for trauma for half the state, therefore the experience is acquired is disproportionally large compared to the city's size. For those with extra time, there are some jewels to be had in the city such as Keeneland, the most beautiful horse racing venue anywhere. Also basketball rules in Lexington, where they move Halloween to fit the UK basketball schedule. There are several extraordinarily nice neighborhoods beyond the outer ring of the city (named Man O War for the horse) but these are largely unaffordable for residents.

Any input on the anesthesia program itself?

Any input on the anesthesia program itself?

I only interviewed there, but it seemed fantastic. The new chair is incredibly friendly and it was by far the most education-focused of all the programs I interviewed at. If it were on a coast, it would probably be a top 10 program. If you can handle being in Kentucky, then you won't be disappointed with the program. It's definitely not a "prestige" school, and it seemed like there were a good number of DO/FMGs filling the ranks, but I don't think that means anything in terms of quality of education. I think people just don't want to be in Kentucky (which I completely understand).

Reactions: 1 users
I trained here. This is by far one of the best programs in the country. It does not have the ‘name’ but it is the best kept secret amongst the anesthesia residencies. I was very well prepared for independent practice secondary to high patient acuity and focus on high quality education.

There may indeed be slightly more DOs and FMGs than other programs but rest assured those candidates are the top of their class and the program is extremely selective in choosing them. This does not reflect on the quality of the many candidates that apply. It would most assuredly be almost impossible to match here if the program was located in a large metropolitan area.

We all complained as residents because residency was tough, but having made our way out, all of my colleagues are excellently trained now and I would trust all of them to take care of my own family members in the best most evidence based way.

I also have had a chance to see anesthesiologists from other training programs and they had nowhere the experience that we had in ours and it’s painfully obvious.

This program should be at the top of your match list. Lexington is a cute city to live in and very affordable also. We bought a house and sold it no problem even making a small profit after 4 years. If I had to do it all again I would 100% go to UK again.

Had an attending that was a result of this program. Won't name names but the attending was top notch. Handled sh1t better than most, extremely patient, and great physician.

Also interviewed there for cardiac fellowship. If you don't mind the small city, i would concur this is one of the best kept secrets out there. Definitely a great place to train.