University of Maryland: Baltimore Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glhm93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how competitive it is to get into the School of Pharmacy at the University of Maryland in Baltimore? For some reason looking at their website and reading some posts from previous years, they seem to be a bit "generous" in admissions.

P.S. I'm interested for attending Fall 2013.

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland is not by any stretch an "easy" school in which to gain acceptance. However, the school's admissions committee understands that not everyone is nor should be a 4.0, 99th percentile student. They don't simply say "lets just interview everyone over a 3.5 GPA" like some schools. The lowest GPA that I know of to be granted admission is 2.5 (which is pretty low for a great school) and that student is now a graduate and enjoying life. The student body is extremely diverse with a wide range in ages, ethnicities and pre-pharmacy academic and professional endeavors. I like to say that they take a look at the entire application for admission instead of just hard numbers as cutoffs. In the admissions committee, they will discuss a student's personal statement, match up grades against scores, look for trends, etc. This doesn't mean their standards are low - anything but the contrary! They are just far more willing to overlook a bad semester because you're 18 and just got to college and partied too much and killed your cumulative GPA. So when other schools wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole, Maryland will see that your last four semesters were upper science class heavy and you got a 3.5 and that speaks more than the 2.0 from freshman year.... and knowing how far Maryland goes to get the best students tells you a lot about the school, its faculty, and its students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just applied to its early admissions. And hopefully i will get an invitation to the interview, but the website just has October 2012. And nothing else

Maryland is not by any stretch an "easy" school in which to gain acceptance. However, the school's admissions committee understands that not everyone is nor should be a 4.0, 99th percentile student. They don't simply say "lets just interview everyone over a 3.5 GPA" like some schools. The lowest GPA that I know of to be granted admission is 2.5 (which is pretty low for a great school) and that student is now a graduate and enjoying life. The student body is extremely diverse with a wide range in ages, ethnicities and pre-pharmacy academic and professional endeavors. I like to say that they take a look at the entire application for admission instead of just hard numbers as cutoffs. In the admissions committee, they will discuss a student's personal statement, match up grades against scores, look for trends, etc. This doesn't mean their standards are low - anything but the contrary! They are just far more willing to overlook a bad semester because you're 18 and just got to college and partied too much and killed your cumulative GPA. So when other schools wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole, Maryland will see that your last four semesters were upper science class heavy and you got a 3.5 and that speaks more than the 2.0 from freshman year.... and knowing how far Maryland goes to get the best students tells you a lot about the school, its faculty, and its students.

-Very well stated, thanks for the insight.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using SDN Mobile

Im also applying to UMB. My stats are also low 2.9 CUM 3.2 Science
Taking the PCAT next week

With a low GPA, certainly below average, you need to aim higher on the PCAT. If 85th percentile is Maryland's average (I have no idea what it is... just spitballing a guess), you need to be in the 90's to be a truly competitive candidate. Getting in the 90's sends a signal that there is a discord between the grades and the scores. How does one, for example, score 98th% math... but gets a C in calc 1? It doesn't make sense. Thats what the faculty interview is for - to clear up discordant information.

According to PharmCas my application was mailed on the 9/19 and I'm all in knots waiting to hear something. Anyone have any idea when early admission candidates will start getting invites?

Overall GPA 2.92
Science GPA 3.3
PCAT: Composite 94

Honestly, the GPA, both science and overall probably isn't competitive for the early admission cycle (but who knows, really). But the discordance between a 94th percentile PCAT and low GPAs probably means you will receive an interview in the regular cycle because they will want to understand why your cumulative GPA is so low. More or less it would seem that you have the aptitude, but do you have the drive?

Has anyone heard anything from this school? I just got n email that they recieved my application and it is under review.

Maryland typically reviews all applications in the December-January timeframe with interviews scheduled for January to February. Because Maryland does not have rolling admissions, they make an effort to review applications and give invitations to interview simultaneously, but inevitably there is some overlap. Be patient because it does take some time to go through thousands of applications.

Yeah I was aware of this but from the same standpoint the University of Piit also does not have rolling admissions and is at the time sending out interview offers. Just wanted to see if much of the same is happening. Thanks for the information though guess im just overly anxious since i really want to get into this school in particular.

I cannot comment on Pitt's screening methods as I do not know their admissions committee process. I do know that many schools in lieu of actually reviewing files, to save time, they functionally interview the candidates with the top scores. But I have no idea how Pitt does it.

Being familiar with Maryland's process, I know we take considerable time with each applicant reading the personal statement, identifying strengths and weaknesses, matching up scores and finding discrepancies which need resolution, etc. Its a very tedious and time consuming process. I cant remember a time when it was finished before January. Think about it this way - how long would you want an admissions committee to spend on your application to 'get to know you' considering how much time you put into writing the application? Now multiply by 1500.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to pharmcas page my supplemental application and fee haven't been received by maryland yet but I sent that about a month ago. This happen to anyone else? Or did pharmcas update everyone else's supplemental status right away?

They dont update pharmcas much so just call them and ask them. I submitted my app right after e-submitting my pharmcas app. I called them and they said dont worry about it as long as you know you submitted them both.

Hey. P2 here. If anyone has any questions or wants a student's perspective, feel free to post here or message me. I'll try to check this site as often as I can.

I submitted everything on January 7th (the deadline) and am now waiting for confirmation that they have received all my documents. Does anyone know when I should receive this email and approximately when interview invites will go out?

Thanks and Good Luck!

I submitted my application about a month ago and got the email on the 10th.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey. P2 here. If anyone has any questions or wants a student's perspective, feel free to post here or message me. I'll try to check this site as often as I can.

What can you say made you pick the school over any of the others you applied to? I've gotten a few interviews and it's been difficult for me to choose the right school. What's a typical day like? How's the campus and surrounding area?

Woot! First round of interviews have been sent out. I have scheduled mine on Jan 25th 1230-4.

Aw i didn't receive one

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Congrats, guys! I got my interview invite yesterday as well.

Woot! First round of interviews have been sent out. I have scheduled mine on Jan 25th 1230-4.
Got an invite too! Did you call the admissions office to schedule? And did they give you your first choice of the possible dates? I left a message and am waiting to hear back.

Got an invite too! Did you call the admissions office to schedule? And did they give you your first choice of the possible dates? I left a message and am waiting to hear back.

I did call, and they did give me my first choice. I was told to expect a confirmation email on Thursday.

Is there anyone as nervous as i am for this particular interview? I didnt even schedule the interview and I am getting goosebumps lol. I have been to many interviews this and last month alone and i feel like this is going to be the most challenging by far.

Congrats to all that recieved interviews and good luck!

Is there anyone as nervous as i am for this particular interview? I didnt even schedule the interview and I am getting goosebumps lol. I have been to many interviews this and last month alone and i feel like this is going to be the most challenging by far.

Congrats to all that recieved interviews and good luck!

I'm pretty nervous too. I haven't interviewed anywhere yet. I have 3 in the span of 2 weeks, and I think it's going to be brutal. On 2/1 I'm interviewing at Texas Tech, 2/8 @ Maryland, and 2/13 @ Georgia. The first two interviews sound rough, but hopefully it will be worth it!

Omg i just got interview invite! My GPA was so low...

i scheduled to interview 1/26! Does anyone know how long it usually takes after the interview to find out the results?

i scheduled to interview 1/26! Does anyone know how long it usually takes after the interview to find out the results?

I heard they send out results after everyone interviews.. I'm not 100% sure though. So like march-april?

Is the deadline for UMB application is the deadline for pharmCAS e-submission?

I have e submitted pharmCAS application on Dec. 19 and received email on Jan 10 from pharmCAS saying that the application has now been Verified, and will be included in the next PharmCAS mailing to your designated pharmacy schools.

I have not yet received confirmation email from UMB and I am bit worried....:scared:

Is the deadline for UMB application is the deadline for pharmCAS e-submission?

I have e submitted pharmCAS application on Dec. 19 and received email on Jan 10 from pharmCAS saying that the application has now been Verified, and will be included in the next PharmCAS mailing to your designated pharmacy schools.

I have not yet received confirmation email from UMB and I am bit worried....:scared:

UMB was the same for me. I called to confirm everything was received after the deadline, and it was. There just wasn't a confirmation email.

Anyone know about the differences between shady grove and baltimore campus?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply!

I was too worried that UMB might not review the application when they have received after the deadline.

I have too much worries...

Does anyone know how much the deposit is for this school?

does anyone have the 1/26 interview? I was wondering if any of you had the 12:30 pm interview and wanted to share a cab or a shuttle going back to the airport after the interview

Is Baltimore a safe place to live? I'm from out of state and don't know the area very well

I have been wating for an invitation from UMB but I have not heard back from UMB..

My GPA is pretty high and PCAT score is not bad....
also, all my application was recieved and processed before January 7th...

Do I still have to wait or contact the admission office...I am so worried..

I have been wating for an invitation from UMB but I have not heard back from UMB..

Just chill

I agree with "8." It has only been a couple weeks since the January 7th deadline, so calling the admissions office now will definitely go against you. Give them time...

I'll see you tomorrow! I scheduled my interview for this time too. Are you from the Baltimore area? I'm so scared!!