University of Maryland Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So wait, I am confused now. So can you apply to Maryland ED without first finishing all your pre-reqs?

Yes you can. But, you must finish your pre-reqs before matriculation.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all y'all that got acceptance letters and have to choose where to go, I would choose Shady Grove. It is going to be a huge mess in Baltimore with the new building construction starting in the summer. The Shady Grove campus is very nice and brand new. Having a program called mediasite will eliminate the need to go to lectures and you can learn at your pace. Just don't get behind.

For all y'all that got acceptance letters and have to choose where to go, I would choose Shady Grove. It is going to be a huge mess in Baltimore with the new building construction starting in the summer. The Shady Grove campus is very nice and brand new. Having a program called mediasite will eliminate the need to go to lectures and you can learn at your pace. Just don't get behind.

Baltimore program is just teh same as Shady grove ....just with the option of going to class....

did anyone receive acceptance yet?:confused::confused:

I'm still waiting to hear from UMB...in the meantime I just have a couple questions. Where would be the safest place to live in baltimore thats close to the school? I'm the type of person who cannot study in my own apmt so i'd probably be walking alot at night.
Also, do you know anyone who's doing the pharmd-phd? When do people usually start the phd portion? At my interview they said you can start anytime, but the website now says they dont have a REAL pharmd-phd but you can do it sequentially. And do you really need to take the gres or do you just fill an application?
Thanks!

I'm still waiting to hear from UMB...in the meantime I just have a couple questions. Where would be the safest place to live in baltimore thats close to the school? I'm the type of person who cannot study in my own apmt so i'd probably be walking alot at night.
Also, do you know anyone who's doing the pharmd-phd? When do people usually start the phd portion? At my interview they said you can start anytime, but the website now says they dont have a REAL pharmd-phd but you can do it sequentially. And do you really need to take the gres or do you just fill an application?
Thanks!

I'm also very concerned about housing! Have any UMB students lived in housing provided by the school? If so, any comments in regards to the quality of the housing? Being out of state.... WAYYYYY out of state is so hard :(

I'm also very concerned about housing! Have any UMB students lived in housing provided by the school? If so, any comments in regards to the quality of the housing? Being out of state.... WAYYYYY out of state is so hard :(

and you should be very concerned with housing........

when i moved here, from wayyyyyy out of state, i was in the same position as a lot of you

i decided to live outside of the city........luckily i shipped my car........btw, im selling mine in a couple months for cheap!!!!!!!! so if you are in the market for a car let me know!!!!!!!!

shameless plug out of the way.........i decided to move to some little suburb called owings mills...........its about 15 miles NW of the school, but the good thing was i lived about 1 minute from the metro and just took the sub into school everyday..........did that for three years then moved last summer to hanover, about 10 miles south of bmore, near DC..........my commute is about 20 minutes on the days i have classes.........very easy drive up 295 right into campus.........

baltimore just didn't seem too safe for me and my wife........no offense to the city, but i'm used to palmtree lined streets and mountain views.........there are a few apts within a mile radius of the school, but definitely stay EAST of MLK........trust me

but living outside of campus is perfectly fine.........you just goto bmore for classes, then you "escape" back to "normalcy"............:laugh:

but if there was a SG campus back in 2004, there would be no hesitation.........i would 110% choose that option..........montgomery county, northern virginia, DC nightlife is definitely more attractive for you 20-somethings

and you should be very concerned with housing........

when i moved here, from wayyyyyy out of state, i was in the same position as a lot of you

i decided to live outside of the city........luckily i shipped my car........btw, im selling mine in a couple months for cheap!!!!!!!! so if you are in the market for a car let me know!!!!!!!!

shameless plug out of the way.........i decided to move to some little suburb called owings mills...........its about 15 miles NW of the school, but the good thing was i lived about 1 minute from the metro and just took the sub into school everyday..........did that for three years then moved last summer to hanover, about 10 miles south of bmore, near DC..........my commute is about 20 minutes on the days i have classes.........very easy drive up 295 right into campus.........

baltimore just didn't seem too safe for me and my wife........no offense to the city, but i'm used to palmtree lined streets and mountain views.........there are a few apts within a mile radius of the school, but definitely stay EAST of MLK........trust me

but living outside of campus is perfectly fine.........you just goto bmore for classes, then you "escape" back to "normalcy"............:laugh:

but if there was a SG campus back in 2004, there would be no hesitation.........i would 110% choose that option..........montgomery county, northern virginia, DC nightlife is definitely more attractive for you 20-somethings

thank you yet again jawnly, i appreciate all of your input! i'm from san diego california (i think you're familiar with the impecable cleanliness of the city) and I felt the B-more culture shock as well. Shady Grove does seem like, at least location-wise, a better option; however, my parents will be helping me out with a lot of my living expenses and they, as first generation Eastern-European immigrants, have a highly pejorative view on online education... so unless I'm forced to go to SG I will probably end up at B-more...

Hey class of 2012, just got my official acceptance. See you on august 25th!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get an email or a letter? :)

Thanks

kidlove: e-mail

E-mail acceptances are Sweeeeeeet. I just got the e-mail too and it's my first acceptance of this cycle. About time!! Yeah!

hey incoming class, congrats again, please friend me on myspace at:

www.myspace.com/fellon

particularly those people who interviewed on january 26th, you guys were all awesome! can't wait to see you all.

oh and i got an email too

Got my acceptance.....Most likely gonna go there...=)

Did anyone who had the interview on Feb 16 get the acceptance letter already?

Sweet! Got my acceptance email this morning too. I am very happy to be a part of the class of 2012!!!! :)

To teclhie :

So what time did you get the acceptance today? this morning or afternoon?

morning...im in SoCal

hey absolute! i'm in san diego too! still waiting to hear from the school though..

congrats to all those who've been accepted!!

for those of you already attending umb and living off-campus, how is the parking situation? is it difficult to find parking? are the permits valid for the entire year? how much are they?

thanks!

i am in Indiana and still waiting too

waiting is killing!!!

I got my acceptance this morning too!! :)

Now I have to decide between UMB and Temple...

I just got accepted to UMB today too! :) I chose the Baltimore campus.

.. does this mean if you don't get the email, you probably haven't been accepted? :rolleyes:

Congrats to all who have been accepted!!!
Some of us are applying next year and I know some of you have done this in other forums but those of you who have been accepted do mind posting your stats (Gpa and PCAT score) pllleeeassse. It will give some of us hope that we too have a chance of getting accepted. Thanks!

so i just called the office School of Pharmacy at UMB
the officer said there will be emails sent between today and next week
and there are still spots remaining at this moment!
they are not filled fully yet!

Some of us are applying next year and I know some of you have done this in other forums but those of you who have been accepted do mind posting your stats (Gpa and PCAT score) pllleeeassse. It will give some of us hope that we too have a chance of getting accepted. Thanks!

GPA:2.8 (science and overall)
PCAT: 99 (99 in everything except reading)
EC's: 6 years of toxicology research, 1 year retail pharmacy, 1 year hospital pharmacy volunteer, 2 more volunteer orgs for conservation of wildlife and refugee resettlement.

judging by my GPA I think everyone here has a great chance of making it, good luck guys!

PCAT: 95 Composite (Lowest subscore was an 80)
Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.28

I have a bachelors degree (in Biochemistry) and good leadership/extracurriculars, but no pharmacy experience or research experience.

Good Luck! :)

Hi,
I wonder, whether University of Maryland accept international students. If they do, what's the ratio?

GPA: 3.1
PCAT 93
Mathematics Applied BS
3 Years Research (2 abstract publications), 3 years Retail Pharmacy, EMT Licensed, lots of other Miscellaneous Crap

Maryland is a big research school/emphasizes diversity and alot of nontraditional routes of pharmacy so keep that in mind ......

Ok Im starting to tihnk about going to Shady Grove (better environment and DC?) I originally planned on going to Baltimore because my sister is a P2 there. Im really wondering about the difference in life between SG and Balt. Since SG is primarily online, what sort of interaction with other students are there and extracurriculars will be offered? Is it hard to "meet" people or what?

congratulations everybody that got accepted!

I interviewed on Feb 16th and got my acceptance email this morning as well.

Science gpa - 2.5
Overall gpa - 2.86
PCAT Score - 83 composite.

3 Years of Retail Pharmacy experience

My stats:

GPA: 3.39
sGPA: 3.91
PCAT: 95 composite
B.A. in Music
5 months retail pharmacy work, EMT-B volunteer, no research

I just got my acceptance yesterday too =) Still deciding whether to accept it or not, still waiting for my #1 school :scared:

Thanks everyone for your stats!! This will serve as a good reference for those of uswho are still trying to be class of 2013! :D Please keep on posting your stats as you get your acceptance letters. Congrats to all of you once more!!!

Can any international students (stuyding in the U.S. less than 3 years) who got accepted post their application profile here as well?

I just got my acceptance yesterday too =) Still deciding whether to accept it or not, still waiting for my #1 school :scared:
Hi

What is your #1 school? I got accepted to VCU and UMB, still can't make up my mind, where are you from?

Congrats everyone! I can't wait to be accepted next cycle.

yey!! I also got my acceptance letter via email ! :D
So exciting!!!!! I chose Baltimore campus and now I don't know where I will live. Can anyone tell me what housing choice is popular? And if there is website about offcampus housing, can you please let me know?? :confused:

I also applied VCU and UMB. I am still waiting for VCU acceptance letter.
I really want to know which school is better, VCU or UMB?

Yes you can. But, you must finish your pre-reqs before matriculation.

I saw this on the Maryland pharmacy website FAQs:

38) How many do we interview?
We will interview approximately 300 candidates and offer acceptance to approximately 240 students in admitting a final class of 160 applicants.

Is this true? 240 accepted? Love to hope that's true b/c I haven't received any news yet I'd love to come to Baltimore.:luck:

i got my acceptance email too.

gpa 3.49
pcat 83 (brought down by a 43 in reading comp! ha! (ouch??) )
6 month pharm experience
bs in biochem
1 year research

BUT....i'll free up a spot tomorrow by declining (i accepted yesterday, but THINGS DONE CHANGED)

Hi

What is your #1 school? I got accepted to VCU and UMB, still can't make up my mind, where are you from?

Hey, I'm from Illinois so I was hoping to get into a school in state. I interviewed with midwestern ccp couple weeks ago and still waiting to hear back from them. I have an interview with uic march 26th and that's my #1 choice so now I don't know what I should do b/c the deposit for UMB is due soon :(

Where are you from?

Congrats to those who have been accepted and to those who will soon recieve acceptance. THe wait is finally over!!:hardy:
I also received letter of acceptance on Monday.. :clap: :banana:

For those who are class of 2012 , There is a Facebook group called Maryland Pharmacy Class of 2012. THere is also a group called University of Maryland Baltimore.

It would be supercool to Join and meet our fellow classmates.:luck:

p.s. I'm open to make friends to feel free to shoot me a message :laugh:

hey guys, sasha here, from san diego california! i'll be looking for someone to split a 2 bedroom with! who needs a reliable, sociable, garrulous, awesome roomie!?

I am in. ^^
I had an interview on Jan 26th in the morning.
I was really impressed with faculty members and the students i met during interview. U of Maryland is one of the top schools but i decided to go to U of Maryland because of the people there.
I chose shady grove campus.
and i will see you all on august~:)

is here anyone who had interview on jan 26th?

I saw this on the Maryland pharmacy website FAQs:

38) How many do we interview?
We will interview approximately 300 candidates and offer acceptance to approximately 240 students in admitting a final class of 160 applicants.

Is this true? 240 accepted? Love to hope that's true b/c I haven't received any news yet I'd love to come to Baltimore.:luck:

Generally yes, it does come pretty close to that, but what they do first is offer it to the first 120 (who get their choice of campus). Then they offer the remaining spots to the rest of the people on the list (40) to fill up the remaining campus spots (whether it be Bmore or Shady Grove). After that, it's the waitlist. So the first 160 are guaranteed, and since some of them aren't goint to accept, it more or less goes to about 240 people (so about 80 down the waitlist).

That's not to say that you should take it easy at the interview, because if they decide to reject you, you don't even get on that waitlist.