University of Medicine and Health Service St Kitts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epo83

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this school or attends it?

I got something in the mail today about applying, but I'd like to hear first from the forum!!

Members don't see this ad.

Would not recommend people to go to this type of school.
There are medical schools popping up all over in the Caribbean, but getting a degree that says MD means nothing in terms of being able to practice in the US (if that is what you want to do). These schools aren't accredited by any US or Canadian medical school governing body. In the US, many states won't accept a degree from this type of school, so that you couldn't do a residency or practice in those states. This school hasn't even graduated its first class, it appears. Educating medical students is hard and takes tremendous resources, in terms of one-on-one teaching by faculty, particular in the 3rd and 4th clinical years. Do you think this school can provide that, or will they farm the students out to random hospitals with disorganized clinical rotations and faculty who might not have time or the appropriate resources for teaching?

If you want or need to go to a Caribbean medical school, I would only go to the ones that have >90% pass rate on the US Medical Licensing Exam Part 1, and where the vast majority of the students graduate. Going down there does you no good if you just flunk out and/or you pass but then can't pass the USMLE exam.

I drove by it while I was there on a vacation.
I also checked out the school in Nevis, attended a lecture.
I recommend AUC, Ross, or StG. Saba was the school that AUC flunk outs went to in the late 90's. Apparently it is one of the Big4. So, it should be recommended too.

I have no opinion on the St Kitts school. I'd only go if I couldn't go to the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drove by it while I was there on a vacation.
I also checked out the school in Nevis, attended a lecture.
I recommend AUC, Ross, or StG. Saba was the school that AUC flunk outs went to in the late 90's. Apparently it is one of the Big4. So, it should be recommended too.

I have no opinion on the St Kitts school. I'd only go if I couldn't go to the others.

tracheatoedoc,
Can you please tell us more about your experiences at MUA, in Nevis? What was it like there? I am considering all options. Thank you.

tracheatoedoc,
Can you please tell us more about your experiences at MUA, in Nevis? What was it like there? I am considering all options. Thank you.

He went to AUC.

Wrong, McGillGrad. Tracheatoedoc mentioned that s/he attended a lecture in Nevis. The only med school in Nevis is MUA. I am interested in finding out how it is there.

Wrong, McGillGrad. Tracheatoedoc mentioned that s/he attended a lecture in Nevis. The only med school in Nevis is MUA. I am interested in finding out how it is there.

um, yeah. You should learn to read before thinking about med school....lol...

He may have sat in on one lecture at MUA but he went to AUC so you should ask a MUA student.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=595322

Actually, the school I drove past in St Kitts was the Ross vet school.
Also I think they had a nurding school. I can't really recall seeing the St K med school.
I stayed on Nevis at the Oalie bay resort. Next time I may splurge and go Four Seasons. I was fascinated by MUA. Drove there a few times. It was just 2 miles from where I was staying. They were building a new facility, just the cement and steel were up. The old facility was not impressive. I went to a Physiology lecture and found it a little cramped. I don't think there was a window in the classroom. The phys prof was an ass. Can I say that here?

Anyway, I would not recommend MUA over StG, AUC, or Ross. The critical thing is to get into the best school you can. Ultimately, it comes down to what you put into it.

Wherever you go, if you pass the USMLE 1 and 2, and your school is WHO listed you will be eligible for a US residency. And you will get one.

There are a lot of unknowledgable posters on this site. College students and others who have no personal experience with offshore schools.
I would not listen to the opinion of anyone who has not personally experienced the Caribbean scene. They are merely speculating.

Look in the end you want to go to a school which gives you maximum licensing opportunities.

Any of the big 4 deliver that, but AUC, SGU and Ross have federal loans. Saba is cheaper and would be my recommendation if you're a Canadian.

If you can't get into the big 4, try again. If you still can't get in, then I would apply to schools that have state clinical approvals, MUA is one of them, so is AUA and SMU. These three also have hundreds of people in residency and dozens of licensed doctors. UMHS is founded by Robert Ross, but I'd go with the established schools first and foremost.

Thanks, Tracheatoedoc, for the feedback on MUA. That was exactly what I wanted to know. Also, thanks to everyone for your helpful input in general.