University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hifey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Figured its about time to have one for the UMiami Class of 2014 :) We should probably discuss housing and other stuff relating to starting school here and free up the pre-allo thread for waitlists and acceptances. If any current UM students want to give us any tips, advice, etc. it is welcome!

Again, congrats on being accepted to the UMMSM Class of 2014!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Hifey good idea creating this, I'm joining officially joining this thread then.

Present!

Good looks Hifey. Can't wait to meet all y'all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome!
So I was thinking maybe Axis with roommates but now I'm not so sure....what do you think about housing?

Awesome!
So I was thinking maybe Axis with roommates but now I'm not so sure....what do you think about housing?

I've been there before, it's a really nice place and rent in brickell/downtown is really cheap now with the real estate market way down. It's doable, especially with a roommate. I think I'm going to move in with my girlfriend; she has an apartment by herself in coral gables so it'd just be the two of us. It's not too far from the med campus...about 15-20 mins.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for housing. The family and I may invest in a condo for keeps as the market has taken such a hit and is a good time to buy. I'm going to take a trip down in early may to scope out a few places - I've lived in the area before so I'm familiar with some of the buildings and have an idea of where I'd like to live.

i'll be there this fall :thumbup:

also working on housing, i'll be moving with my boyfriend and we're looking for a place in brickell. i was looking at axis but wtf @ someone getting raped in the elevator :scared: we're gonna work with a realtor so hopefully we can find something close and safe.

i'll be there this fall :thumbup:

also working on housing, i'll be moving with my boyfriend and we're looking for a place in brickell. i was looking at axis but wtf @ someone getting raped in the elevator :scared: we're gonna work with a realtor so hopefully we can find something close and safe.

oooh let me know if you find something. I'm all the way out in california and I'm still in school so I can't come down before june. I want to be able to have a list of places ready to check out. Axis was on my list but that rape thing was scary....

Don't do an MD/PhD rotation your first summer. Not a good idea unless you have been doing research with that professor already--too confusing and draining.

Also, a good number of us live in Coral Gables, Brickell, Downtown, Miami Beach, and Dominion/surrounding area. Other students may have good ideas on specific buildings...

I'm a fan of the One Miami building. I'm not sure about the rent, but I'm a big fan of the location, appearance, lobby, elevators, jacuzzi and units. Oh and the doormen tend to be super nice.

they predicted another wave of foreclosures late 2010. buying might require a 8+ year commitment, its not for me (after analyzing for a long ass time)

they predicted another wave of foreclosures late 2010. buying might require a 8+ year commitment, its not for me (after analyzing for a long ass time)

well where do you see yourself doing your residency? i hope the foreclosures happen sooner, so we can get maybe cheaper rent next year

I had no idea buying required any sort of time commitment, thanks for the heads up. My pops is the one with the real-estate savvy, I'll have him do the analysis :). But I suppose if you are forced to wait that long to sell, the market will most certainly have improved by then and will make selling easier.

Of course this is all before I've even met with a realtor and looked into getting a place. I'm sure the condo associations are going to have sticks up their collective *****es and have all sorts of regulations on the agreement. We'll see how it goes, but whatever happens its still a pretty exciting thought!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had no idea buying required any sort of time commitment, thanks for the heads up. My pops is the one with the real-estate savvy, I'll have him do the analysis :). But I suppose if you are forced to wait that long to sell, the market will most certainly have improved by then and will make selling easier.

Of course this is all before I've even met with a realtor and looked into getting a place. I'm sure the condo associations are going to have sticks up their collective *****es and have all sorts of regulations on the agreement. We'll see how it goes, but whatever happens its still a pretty exciting thought!

Well what's been going on is that many new huge apartment buildings in downtown and brickell have been completely empty due to the low real estate market/ bad economy but the prices are so ridiculously low now to buy such ridiculously nice apartments that people have literally been buying apartments like they were giving them away! It's been all over the news here that all the "ghost-town" apartments are filling up like crazy now especially since Spring is supposed to be buying season. So it really seems like it's starting to get better quick at least with apartment buildings in that area.

Well what's been going on is that many new huge apartment buildings in downtown and brickell have been completely empty due to the low real estate market/ bad economy but the prices are so ridiculously low now to buy such ridiculously nice apartments that people have literally been buying apartments like they were giving them away! It's been all over the news here that all the "ghost-town" apartments are filling up like crazy now especially since Spring is supposed to be buying season. So it really seems like it's starting to get better quick at least with apartment buildings in that area.

Yeah, I know of all those amazing luxurious buildings having a ton of empty units because of the market taking such a big hit in Southern Florida. I stayed in a pretty decent one (Opera Tower - I wasn't overly fond of it) during the summer of '08 and spent a bunch of time with my friend in One Miami. I thought I had a special view, until I saw the views that others had and realized that most everyone in Miami has a pretty incredible view.

As far as people buying condos up now goes, I wasn't aware of that and that troubles me because I was hoping the buying wouldn't commence until later. I suppose I should get on that! I blame Obama and his first time home-buyers tax credit.

Speaking of Obama, I feel as though we should discuss health care in this thread. I'm for it!

Yeah, I know of all those amazing luxurious buildings having a ton of empty units because of the market taking such a big hit in Southern Florida. I stayed in a pretty decent one (Opera Tower - I wasn't overly fond of it) during the summer of '08 and spent a bunch of time with my friend in One Miami. I thought I had a special view, until I saw the views that others had and realized that most everyone in Miami has a pretty incredible view.

As far as people buying condos up now goes, I wasn't aware of that and that troubles me because I was hoping the buying wouldn't commence until later. I suppose I should get on that! I blame Obama and his first time home-buyers tax credit.

Speaking of Obama, I feel as though we should discuss health care in this thread. I'm for it!

I'm for it too. I mean I'm pretty liberal so I'm a little biased but I do think the new healthcare law is a good thing overall. I'm just not too sure about the cost, and I wish they could have put more things to benefit doctors like restrictions on frivolous malpractice suits/malpractice insurance and target the growing physician shortage somehow. This law affects me personally because I'm supposed to be getting major surgery soon, I'm 23 yrs old, and I'm not a student right now because I graduated college already. So before this law, my surgery wouldn't be covered at all until I'm enrolled in medical school, which would be too late for me to get major surgery anyway. Now, I don't have to be a student or anything; I just have to be less than 26 to be covered in my parents' policy. So for me, this allows me to have the opportunity to be covered and get my surgery before med school starts.

I'm for it too. I mean I'm pretty liberal so I'm a little biased but I do think the new healthcare law is a good thing overall. I'm just not too sure about the cost, and I wish they could have put more things to benefit doctors like restrictions on frivolous malpractice suits/malpractice insurance and target the growing physician shortage somehow. This law affects me personally because I'm supposed to be getting major surgery soon, I'm 23 yrs old, and I'm not a student right now because I graduated college already. So before this law, my surgery wouldn't be covered at all until I'm enrolled in medical school, which would be too late for me to get major surgery anyway. Now, I don't have to be a student or anything; I just have to be less than 26 to be covered in my parents' policy. So for me, this allows me to have the opportunity to be covered and get my surgery before med school starts.

I agree. I've been in a similar position in the past where I was out of school and despite working in academia, did not have healthcare because of the part-time nature of my "employment." So this is a great thing, I agree with one politician that said this in a way represents the civil rights struggle of our times, as healthcare is a right and not a privilege and should be provided for all. Whether the quality of health care will diminish remains to be seen, but as an aspiring physician, I don't believe that physicians will perform less than optimally simply because they are now caring for more and lower-income folks. I do have doubts about the ability of the field to handle the huge influx of patients they'll see, but hopefully the plan accounts for that in one form or another. People already have to wait long enough for appointments.

In completely unrelated news, the USNews rankings for 2010 are out today, and UMMSOM jumped to 47 from 51 in terms of research rankings. Not that it really matters, but I had a hunch they'd move up, what with all the expansions they've made. :)

I agree. I've been in a similar position in the past where I was out of school and despite working in academia, did not have healthcare because of the part-time nature of my "employment." So this is a great thing, I agree with one politician that said this in a way represents the civil rights struggle of our times, as healthcare is a right and not a privilege and should be provided for all. Whether the quality of health care will diminish remains to be seen, but as an aspiring physician, I don't believe that physicians will perform less than optimally simply because they are now caring for more and lower-income folks. I do have doubts about the ability of the field to handle the huge influx of patients they'll see, but hopefully the plan accounts for that in one form or another. People already have to wait long enough for appointments.

In completely unrelated news, the USNews rankings for 2010 are out today, and UMMSOM jumped to 47 from 51 in terms of research rankings. Not that it really matters, but I had a hunch they'd move up, what with all the expansions they've made. :)

Yeah, I'm glad; they're in the top 40 now and still rising! They've been getting lots of $$$ for research from NIH and stimulus money too.

There shouldn't be too large of influx, as many uninsured patients were already seeing doctors anyway, they just didn't pay.

Anyone know of any lofts for rent next to the med campus?

Hi ya folks... Go Canes! So so excited to move to Miami! I think my parents are gonna splurge and invest in a condo down there for me. We are thinking Brickell or South Beach. I think I'm gonna drive down in May and start checking things out.

We will probably get at least a 2 bedroom if anyone can stand my two-cats, I don't mind having a roomie.

Anyone hear from financial aid???

Last edited:
you planning to keep the condo for long? it's not really worth it if you're only gonna keep it for 4 years.

Probably will keep it long term, yes. It's on my mom, I think she wants to have a place on the East Coast of Florida...

if you look at condo prices vs cost of renting, you would think its a great deal

but then you gotta add in HOA/maintenance/association fees - which run up to 300-500 a month, which kill buying short term

article on the market (NY Times, 1 day old)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/realestate/commercial/21miami.html

if you have parents that are willing to invest, I think its a good deal, if not, I think its a lot of stress

any fin-aid packages yet?

No financial aid packages yet. :(

There was a $1200 1:1 AXIS apartment up for rent today!!! Somebody snatched it up before we got to it.

anyone know where we send our $100 deposit? i know it's not due for like a month but i'm just wondering

ziggyd0c said:
anyone know where we send our $100 deposit? i know it's not due for like a month but i'm just wondering

Go to www.mededu.miami.edu/admissions, then click on "deposit" on the left hand side under Quick Links. It has the address there in bold. I just mailed mine in today!

I've heard that it's not a huge deal if we don't speak spanish, but has anyone else heard anything from current or former students regarding that?

I've heard that it's not a huge deal if we don't speak spanish, but has anyone else heard anything from current or former students regarding that?

thats what i've heard. its a huge hospital, they have translators there. i know much will be lost in translation like bill murray but its gonna be hard to master it in 2 years

I've heard that it's not at all necessary to speak Spanish at UM. Even the FAQ section of their admissions page says so. The question on that page refers to the admissions dept. of UF telling people that you must speak Spanish to go to UM. The answer translated to English says (paraphrased from the top of my head) "our friends at UF don't know what they're talking about." Knowing Spanish certainly does help a lot when you live in Miami. I've lived here all my life and can vouch for that. I've come across many many people who don't speak any English and speaking Spanish fluently has been a life-saver. The language barrier here is very common. For example, anyone in my family over 60 years old does not speak any English, only Spanish, and they do perfectly fine because the majority of people speak Spanish here. IOW knowing Spanish is definitely not required but does help and is a huge plus if you speak it. Don't worry, you'll be fine; many of my friends (some who go to UM medical school) don't speak Spanish and they survive.:)

Our financial aid amounts are posted on the MyUM page!

Same for me too, and I went to UM for undergrad so "myum" still just shows my undergrad stuff.

Call the fin-aid office. I did it today and they detailed my "award" to me, subsequent to which I summarily withdrew. Good luck to you.

Call the fin-aid office. I did it today and they detailed my "award" to me, subsequent to which I summarily withdrew. Good luck to you.

Sad to see you go; sorry the fin aid wasn't what you hoped for :( Where are you now headed for med school?

I just checked MyUM just now and my financial aid award was posted. I checked yesterday and it wasn't so they may be updating the financial info for everyone if you want to check it out.

Sad to see you go; sorry the fin aid wasn't what you hoped for :( Where are you now headed for med school?

University of Iowa. To be fair, I was honored to be able to make the choice between two great schools, but Iowa's fin-aid package was so great that choosing pretty much any other school would have been impossible. Good luck to you in Miami; maybe I'll head there for residency. My only regret about choosing Iowa is that I was hoping to finally move somewhere warm... oh well.

University of Iowa. To be fair, I was honored to be able to make the choice between two great schools, but Iowa's fin-aid package was so great that choosing pretty much any other school would have been impossible. Good luck to you in Miami; maybe I'll head there for residency. My only regret about choosing Iowa is that I was hoping to finally move somewhere warm... oh well.

Thanks and good luck to you starting at University of Iowa in the fall. Maybe you should put down "live somewhere warm" in your bucket list :) lol mine is to live somewhere cold/ with four actual seasons. I've lived in Miami all my life so I've never actually seen seasons change! Though I have traveled around the country to see the different seasons in different places.

Last edited:
Thanks and good luck to you starting at University of Iowa in the fall. Maybe you should put down "live somewhere warm" in your bucket list :) lol mine is to live somewhere cold/ with four actual seasons. I've lived in Miami all my life so I've never actually seen seasons change! Though I have traveled around the country to see the different seasons in different places.

The change of seasons is way overrated. It's nice when winter changes to spring, and spring to summer, but that's about it.

I've heard that it's not at all necessary to speak Spanish at UM. Even the FAQ section of their admissions page says so. The question on that page refers to the admissions dept. of UF telling people that you must speak Spanish to go to UM. The answer translated to English says (paraphrased from the top of my head) "our friends at UF don't know what they're talking about." Knowing Spanish certainly does help a lot when you live in Miami. I've lived here all my life and can vouch for that. I've come across many many people who don't speak any English and speaking Spanish fluently has been a life-saver. The language barrier here is very common. For example, anyone in my family over 60 years old does not speak any English, only Spanish, and they do perfectly fine because the majority of people speak Spanish here. IOW knowing Spanish is definitely not required but does help and is a huge plus if you speak it. Don't worry, you'll be fine; many of my friends (some who go to UM medical school) don't speak Spanish and they survive.:)

Yes they don't require you to speak Spanish, but when I stayed with a 4th yr student now heading off to residency, she said that one thing she wished she would have taken advantage of was to learn Spanish. She took the medical spanish course, but that's not much useful as learning to speak the language fluently.. maybe i should invest in the rosetta stone before coming to miami? Damn my high school teacher.. she wasn't even a native speaker and made me hate spanish with a vengeance.. kinda regretting that now.

Yes they don't require you to speak Spanish, but when I stayed with a 4th yr student now heading off to residency, she said that one thing she wished she would have taken advantage of was to learn Spanish. She took the medical spanish course, but that's not much useful as learning to speak the language fluently.. maybe i should invest in the rosetta stone before coming to miami? Damn my high school teacher.. she wasn't even a native speaker and made me hate spanish with a vengeance.. kinda regretting that now.

As I said before, being able to speak Spanish is a huge advantage in Miami especially since many who live here don't speak English, but many med students here don't speak Spanish and they seem fine. Investing in rosetta stone or something similar would not be a bad idea if you have the time. I can even tutor you if you come to Miami :D

Despite the fact that I started this thread, I will be withdrawing. Wish you guys all the best with UM next year! :)

So I am looking at renting a place in South Beach, right near the MacArthur causeway... is that a good location as far as driving time goes?

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on starting med school this summer! You will have a great time at UM.

I just wanted to let you know that my place is available for rent. It's 2/2, with great layout for roommates. Spacious bedrooms and walk-in closets in both rooms. The building is within biking/walking distance to school. Check it out!

http://picasaweb.google.com/davidandivelin/AragonPlaza?feat=directlink

Let me know if interested or have questions.

Thanks,

David Lopez, MD
Class of 2007

Hey everyone,

I'm also starting in August and am looking for roommate and a place to live. My top choice is Brickell, but I'm also checking out Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, and South Beach. If I find any potential places I'll post some information here.

Hello to all my new classmates!!!! Can't wait to start school this Fall, just got accepted on Monday and need to start looking for an apartment/roommate. I grew up in Miami but its been quite a while since I've lived there. Anyone else lookin for a roomie let me know! Congrats to you all :D