University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magneto372

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning on applying to U of M for the Fall 2013 entering class??

Members don't see this ad.

Going to be a junior at UMich, and I'm in the process of applying as well. However, I'm in a weird predicament where I may not be able to finish one last pre-req (microbio) due to a schedule conflict with a class that I need to take for the scholarship I have this year, unless I work out some kind of agreement with that teacher. It's kind of weird, but at most it'll just delay me one year I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking of adding it to my list of designated schools on PharmCas, but I'm not quite sure yet. I toured the school for undergrad and really loved the campus, but decided not to go because I'm from out of state and the tuition was outrageous. Does anyone know if they have rolling admissions or not?

Going to be a junior at UMich, and I'm in the process of applying as well. However, I'm in a weird predicament where I may not be able to finish one last pre-req (microbio) due to a schedule conflict with a class that I need to take for the scholarship I have this year, unless I work out some kind of agreement with that teacher. It's kind of weird, but at most it'll just delay me one year I guess.

Microbio can only be taken in the winter so if you miss it you will have to w8 a year.

I'm planning on applying for the fall! I just graduated from a liberal college in May and finishing some pre-reqs now.

I'm applying from California. Just submitted my PharmCAS and getting started on the supplemental. Good luck to everyone! I'm super stoked to finally be applying after 5 years of undergrad :)

Same here! BTW, where did you find the supplemental application? Did they email you!?

I did get an email from them, but the supplemental is posted online:
http://sitemaker.umich.edu/pharmacy/files/supplementalapplicationfall2013.pdf

I found it on their "overview of the application process" page.
http://pharmacy.umich.edu/pharmacy/application_process_overview

I have a question. Is it appropriate to abbreviate the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy to UM in my supplemental essay? I'm not sure if this is too informal, but the full name is so long and it feels unprofessoinal to keep saying "this school" and "this institution."

I did get an email from them, but the supplemental is posted online:
http://sitemaker.umich.edu/pharmacy/files/supplementalapplicationfall2013.pdf

I found it on their "overview of the application process" page.
http://pharmacy.umich.edu/pharmacy/application_process_overview

I have a question. Is it appropriate to abbreviate the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy to UM in my supplemental essay? I'm not sure if this is too informal, but the full name is so long and it feels unprofessoinal to keep saying "this school" and "this institution."

In the beginning of your essay or the first time you mention the university, you can write: "I plan on attending the University of Michgian College of Pharmacy (UM-CoP) because..." and then after that you can keep using "UM-CoP" for the remainder of the essay. Throw in a few of the "this institution" line as well :)

Hey everyone!

I'll be starting my P1 year at UM this fall. SDN helped me out a lot when I was applying so feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns during the application process.

Good luck to all of you! :)

Hey everyone!

I'll be starting my P1 year at UM this fall. SDN helped me out a lot when I was applying so feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns during the application process.

Good luck to all of you! :)

Thank you in advance for your kindness,

May I ask when was your interview and how was your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you in advance for your kindness,

May I ask when was your interview and how was your stats?

PCAT Scores:
Verbal Ability - 73%
Biology - 87%
Reading Comprehension - 55%
Quantitative Ability - 74%
Chemistry - 68%
Composite - 76%

Convention of Language: 3.0 Problem Solving: 3.0

Undergrad Major: Biology
Undergrad Minor: Chemistry
Undergrad overall GPA: 3.18
Math/Science GPA: 3.05

I completed my PharmCAS on 11/1 and all of the supplements for UM by 12/1 (right on the deadline!). I would highly recommend not to wait until the last minute and submit everything in early!! The earlier you submit, the earlier you'll be interviewed, and the earlier you'll be accepted. :)

All of my materials were confirmed by 12/15 and I received my interview invite via email on 1/12. My interview date was 2/24; I was deferred in March and then finally accepted in April.

Hope that helps!! :thumbup:

I am working on their supplemental essay. Do you know what is the appropriate font and size?

PCAT Scores:
Verbal Ability - 73%
Biology - 87%
Reading Comprehension - 55%
Quantitative Ability - 74%
Chemistry - 68%
Composite - 76%

Convention of Language: 3.0 Problem Solving: 3.0

Undergrad Major: Biology
Undergrad Minor: Chemistry
Undergrad overall GPA: 3.18
Math/Science GPA: 3.05

I completed my PharmCAS on 11/1 and all of the supplements for UM by 12/1 (right on the deadline!). I would highly recommend not to wait until the last minute and submit everything in early!! The earlier you submit, the earlier you'll be interviewed, and the earlier you'll be accepted. :)

All of my materials were confirmed by 12/15 and I received my interview invite via email on 1/12. My interview date was 2/24; I was deferred in March and then finally accepted in April.

Hope that helps!! :thumbup:

Did you go to UofM as well? Did you have outstanding extracurriculars and/or pharmacy experience? I just feel like your GPA is a bit low for UofM, and am wondering where else you really shined...?

I am working on their supplemental essay. Do you know what is the appropriate font and size?

Times New Roman, Size 12

Did you go to UofM as well? Did you have outstanding extracurriculars and/or pharmacy experience? I just feel like your GPA is a bit low for UofM, and am wondering where else you really shined...?

I did not go to UM for undergrad. I had several extracurricular activities, including being a ranking officer of a club that I helped start. I also worked with a pharmaceutical company for awhile. Finally, I performed well in the interview. Hope that helps.

Does anyone know if its possible to get in without a employer LOR. I've never had a job before...unfortunately..I only have a letter from a health care professional/supervisor -ish, and two professors...

And... Do they look at the applications before sending out emails for supplementals? I haven't gotten one yet but it was mailed out on the 15th... Is it because the PCAT scores were just received by Pharmcas on the 23rd?

Last edited:
Hi there, I was wondering if you can give me a second opinion on my chances for admission to u of michigan's pharmD?

my stats are: gpa: 3.72; science gpa: 3.6ish; pcat composite 97 (chem 97, quant 97); been working as a tech at CVS since late april and have volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for about half a year. extracurriculars/miscellany: intern at 2 labs at my school as a scientific illustrator, used to work as a children's book illustrator, used to be a member of AIESEC, and am a general member of the Asian Business Leaders Association.

thanks!

You got an email from the Uniersity of Michigan? I did not receive any emailed information, I just went online and filled out the supplemental. Is that ok that I sent that in without receiving any type of email from the school first?

I am currently working on my supplemental for University of Michigan..definitely one of my top choices

You got an email from the Uniersity of Michigan? I did not receive any emailed information, I just went online and filled out the supplemental. Is that ok that I sent that in without receiving any type of email from the school first?

You don't have to wait for them to email you, you did good.

Good, good. Does anyone know when we should expect to hear from them, or when they will begin reviewing applications? Now that I have finished all my appliations I am very antsy to start hearing back.

Should be soon! I just got an email this morning saying they were reviewing my app...

UofM is good at looking at your entire application and assessing all of your qualities as a WHOLE. Maybe your pcat score is lower, but you can make up in it for other areas like your interview or extracurriculars, etc. or vice versa.

Last edited:
Got my interview invitation this morning!! October 19th :D

When did you submit your supplemental? Also did the UofM send you anything to confirm that they had received your information. I haven't heard anything from them and I'm wondering if that means that I won't.

Im pretty sure I mailed it off in August, not sure the exact date though. I did get an email confirming receipt in september, but that was only because they thought my file was missing some things, so I had to clear that up. If your file is complete and there's no questions about your prereqs, then I don't think they would contact you.

If you haven't already, contact Asst. Dean Perry about it and she can probably give you a definite answer.

Hey guys!

I just wanted to let you know about an excellent resource current UofM pharmacy students have developed for applicants: The Official University of Michigan College of Pharmacy Forum.

The forum is entirely student-run, so anything you post will not impact your admission decision. We're here to help you through the application/interview process and answer any questions you have about the University, our pharmacy program, Ann Arbor, and pharmacy in general.

Please check it out and post! It's there for YOU!

http://umcop.yuku.com/

Wow thank you tertia! I stumbled across this a long time ago but then lost the link. Glad to have it again...mucho appreciado!

^ No problem! We're in the process of revamping the forum, so please take advantage of it!

If you haven't already, contact Asst. Dean Perry about it and she can probably give you a definite answer.

Sadly, Dean Perry retired in September. :( I know she was an invaluable resource to me throughout my application process, so I will look into who the right person to contact is regarding prerequisites and other specific questions you might have.

Congratulations!

Good luck to everyone who's interviewing today! I'm on the student lunch panel today, so I'll see you guys this afternoon. ;)

Has anyone that interviewed on the 19th heard back yet? They said 3 business days but here it is Thursday and still nothing. I've been checking my email like every 2 seconds all day today.

Same here! I interviewed the 19th...I'm going crazy waiting for an email.

I am hoping it is today though because there is another interview group tomorrow!

Congrats to those who got accepted!! I just got an interview invite for November 9 :)

Previous interviewees, any advice? How many people are usually in each interview session??

There was a total of 10 at mine: 8 girls and 2 guys. No advice other than come with LOTS of questions! They say 3-5, but I would recommend coming with at least 10 (which shouldn't be hard if this is a school you are really interested in), and you will probably come up with more as you go. The interviews are driven by you - they'll ask some questions to get you going, but you can take it wherever you want. It is good to have a list of questions ready to go in case there's a lull in the convo.

Mr. Nelson is awesome too, if you have any worries about the interview he is happy to address them. He will answer ANY questions, and he gave us lots of helpful tips.

Good luck and have fun! :luck:

Hello all, Another P1 at the UOM COP. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask/PM me (I'm usually pretty active on the pharmacy forums). There's also a lot of info out there for you guys, if you need help finding them just msg me, tertia or any of the other students.

The link tertia posted above is also a very good resource. It lets the college know how prospective students feel about the college and interview process. There's also a lot of other P2's, P3's, and P4's on the forums to provide insight for you guys. So please go there and post your questions if you have any :thumbup: Goodluck guys!

UOM Pharmacy Forums

For people who were out of state or stayed at a hotel during their interview trip, any recommendations? I know the school website has a list of options but I was wondering if anyone had any additional thoughts. Thanks!

I stayed at the Days Inn in Ann Arbor. They are doing renovations right now so it wasn't the nicest but it was cheap, had free wifi, and had a continental breakfast which was nice before the interview. Easy 10 minute drive from campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody from the Oct. 26th interview heard anything back yet???