University of Minnesota 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello mates,

First and foremost, congrats to all those accepted into the program. Just looking to link up with University of Minnesota classmates. Reveal yourselves ;-)

Members don't see this ad.

I just had my interview last week and I loved the school...so I hope to get a christmas present from the U...
*fingers crossed*

I just had my interview last week and I loved the school...so I hope to get a christmas present from the U...
*fingers crossed*

Nice. Was your interview held in the TC campus or Duluth? I had mine in Duluth and loved it. *Joins in crossing his fingers* hope you get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading that the applicant who took part in the earliest set of interviews heard back just before thanksgiving. I interviewed last week at the twin cities campus.

I'm really curious to see who has gotten in this year, partially because I would like to meet my potential classmates but also so I can compare stats.

I seriously can't wait to hear back. :xf:Good luck to all of you.

Nice. Was your interview held in the TC campus or Duluth? I had mine in Duluth and loved it. *Joins in crossing his fingers* hope you get in.

Thanks! :xf: (I just found this icon---:p)
I had mine at TC.

I remember reading that the applicant who took part in the earliest set of interviews heard back just before thanksgiving. I interviewed last week at the twin cities campus.

I'm really curious to see who has gotten in this year, partially because I would like to meet my potential classmates but also so I can compare stats.

I seriously can't wait to hear back. :xf:Good luck to all of you.

Most folks hear back within weeks so just keep those fingers crossed. I got in last cycle but asked for a deferment so I dont know how much of a help my stats would be.....If you were invited for an Interview though, it's a good indication.

I was SOOOOO nervous. I was a wreck for couple weeks. I left the mailman milk and cookies lol and told him there'd be more to come if you bring me THE letter.

Thanks! :xf: (I just found this icon---:p)
I had mine at TC.

lol I'm still learning something new everyday on here. Here :luck:, put this to use :) so on your app, did you choose to accept a position on either campus or do you want to attend TC?

Most folks hear back within weeks so just keep those fingers crossed. I got in last cycle but asked for a deferment so I dont know how much of a help my stats would be.....If you were invited for an Interview though, it's a good indication.

I was SOOOOO nervous. I was a wreck for couple weeks. I left the mailman milk and cookies lol and told him there'd be more to come if you bring me THE letter.

I had thought that all the letters went out at the same time. I guess I will have to start bribing the mailman earlier than expected.

lol...thanks...I chose either campus but preferred TC. I'm a city girl (at least that's what I keep telling myself :p)

The Admissions Statistics said that 66% of those interviewed last cycle were offered admission, so I guess that's a good indication of things to come.

The letters are mailed out at the same time. Dec 16th for those interviewed on Nov 20th, but I guess delivery times vary by their destination.

I fear the milk and cookies will not reach the mailman...the neighborhood kids might get to it first :p

Though, I wonder why the decisions can't be emailed out along with regular letters. lol. We won't have to worry about late or lost mail.

I interviewed on the 20th as well. My stomach has been in knots since then because I absolutely LOVE :love:this school. I am hoping to receive an early Christmas present!!! I am DEFINITELY going to have to bribe my mail woman because she consistently puts other people's mail in my box. I have come to my door numerous times to find my Netflix on my doorstep because they found their way to a neighbor's house!!! :xf:

lol...thanks...I chose either campus but preferred TC. I'm a city girl (at least that's what I keep telling myself :p)

The Admissions Statistics said that 66% of those interviewed last cycle were offered admission, so I guess that's a good indication of things to come.

The letters are mailed out at the same time. Dec 16th for those interviewed on Nov 20th, but I guess delivery times vary by their destination.

I fear the milk and cookies will not reach the mailman...the neighborhood kids might get to it first :p

Yea and they said at least half of the people on the ranked waitlist will get in. That's what I'm on, so I'm crossin my fingers

You're welcome :)

That's what I did as well, chose either but had a tad bit preference for the TC campus. Ironically enough though, I chose Duluth at the end :)

Yeah, I recall Stacy Tomhave telling us how odds are in your favor--granted you've been invited for an interview. She said they even remove X amount of students from the waiting list---of course that changes every year but you'd be surprised by how high of a X she gave (20+ students, surprised considered the school's high ranking)....

I bet you've been chewing your nails......I checked the mail everyday, sometimes in the middle of the night lol. The kids knew better than to touch the mailman's milk and cookies...I'd egg em' silly and I have done it before lol so they know better than to mess w/ my trappings :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea and they said at least half of the people on the ranked waitlist will get in. That's what I'm on, so I'm crossin my fingers

:xf:

Yup, REALLY good chance of that happening.

You're welcome :)

That's what I did as well, chose either but had a tad bit preference for the TC campus. Ironically enough though, I chose Duluth at the end :)

Yeah, I recall Stacy Tomhave telling us how odds are in your favor--granted you've been invited for an interview. She said they even remove X amount of students from the waiting list---of course that changes every year but you'd be surprised by how high of a X she gave (20+ students, surprised considered the school's high ranking)....

I bet you've been chewing your nails......I checked the mail everyday, sometimes in the middle of the night lol. The kids knew better than to touch the mailman's milk and cookies...I'd egg em' silly and I have done it before lol so they know better than to mess w/ my trappings :p

Why did you end up choosing Duluth?
From all the info I could gather on the UMD website, youtube videos and the Duluth municipal page (and wiki), I could describe Duluth in one word: peaceful (maybe a bit too much in the winter? )

And I get ya about the nerves lol...:confused: I go anywhere between polar opposites. Pure delirium at the thought of getting in to my first choice TC:D to dire hopelessness in case they decline to accept me at all :eek:

From all the info I could gather on the UMD website, youtube videos and the Duluth municipal page (and wiki), I could describe Duluth in one word: peaceful (maybe a bit too much in the winter? )

And I get ya about the nerves lol...:confused: I go anywhere between polar opposites. Pure delirium at the thought of getting in to my first choice TC:D to dire hopelessness in case they decline to accept me at all :eek:

I've lived up here for the last six years and its really quite nice. Almost like having the amenities of the cities without having to live in the cities if that makes any sense.

Plus you grow fond of having the lake. I left for a short while and that was the biggest thing I missed.

You pretty much nailed it---Duluth is peaceful, not to mention seeing lake superior from some 10th floor building sold me lol. I think I'll do better in Duluth---Ive got some busy body family and friends living in the TC area (Im not from Minnesota btw) so it'll be for the better if I just focus on my load and then visit them whenever....

You'll be jumping for joy, soon enough :luck:--if only you'll join me in Duluth ;-)

I've lived up here for the last six years and its really quite nice. Almost like having the amenities of the cities without having to live in the cities if that makes any sense.

Plus you grow fond of having the lake. I left for a short while and that was the biggest thing I missed.

The lake was stunning :thumbup:

You pretty much nailed it---Duluth is peaceful, not to mention seeing lake superior from some 10th floor building sold me lol. I think I'll do better in Duluth---Ive got some busy body family and friends living in the TC area (Im not from Minnesota btw) so it'll be for the better if I just focus on my load and then visit them whenever....

You'll be jumping for joy, soon enough :luck:--if only you'll join me in Duluth ;-)

I'm all for lakes. I've had my fair share of big water bodies :laugh:
I'm all for family and friends too, but they seem to think that I pick schools that are far from them on purpose!

I'm all for lakes. I've had my fair share of big water bodies :laugh:
I'm all for family and friends too, but they seem to think that I pick schools that are far from them on purpose!

Rain freaks us out where I'm from so any sort of body of water is a holy happening lol <-----Arizona resident.

lol Im sure you have your reason/s for picking schools far from family and friends ;-)

Rain freaks us out where I'm from so any sort of body of water is a holy happening lol <-----Arizona resident.

lol Im sure you have your reason/s for picking schools far from family and friends ;-)

I am from Arizona, too. Natives like us are quite the rarity :) What part of Arizona did you grow up in? I grew up in west Phoenix- now considered a ghetto (although it wasn't when I lived there).

In addition to loving the University of Minnesota, I think I am tired of the HEAT. Not to mention, Arizona has changed a lot in the last decade or so...I am not fond of its changes, either. Ironically, rain makes me happy- so bring on the rain! :) :)

I am from Arizona, too. Natives like us are quite the rarity :) What part of Arizona did you grow up in? I grew up in west Phoenix- now considered a ghetto (although it wasn't when I lived there).

In addition to loving the University of Minnesota, I think I am tired of the HEAT. Not to mention, Arizona has changed a lot in the last decade or so...I am not fond of its changes, either. Ironically, rain makes me happy- so bring on the rain! :) :)

NO WAY!!! high five. I grew up in the in the central phoenix/north phoenix area.

I am too. For this past summer was hell for me---for some odd reason, felt the heat more, dont know if thats a sign of me getting tired of the place or what but I sure am ready to embrace some snow :)

I feel the same way about rain. I was never a fan but now, love it :) I get in a calm mood and just want to sip on some tea....

NO WAY!!! high five. I grew up in the in the central phoenix/north phoenix area.

I am too. For this past summer was hell for me---for some odd reason, felt the heat more, dont know if thats a sign of me getting tired of the place or what but I sure am ready to embrace some snow :)

I feel the same way about rain. I was never a fan but now, love it :) I get in a calm mood and just want to sip on some tea....

The fact that right now it is still too warm for a jacket outside is enough to make we want to move!!!!! The 115 degree rays of sunshine burning into my skin every mid-July is just proving to be too much. We didn't even have much of a monsoon this year- and that made me sad. When I was a kid, I LIVED for the monsoon season...the smell of the rain on the desert and the fact that you could dance in the rain without being cold was so nice...unfortunately, it seems the weather patterns have been changing a bit in the last 10 years or so :(

The fact that right now it is still too warm for a jacket outside is enough to make we want to move!!!!! The 115 degree rays of sunshine burning into my skin every mid-July is just proving to be too much. We didn't even have much of a monsoon this year- and that made me sad. When I was a kid, I LIVED for the monsoon season...the smell of the rain on the desert and the fact that you could dance in the rain without being cold was so nice...unfortunately, it seems the weather patterns have been changing a bit in the last 10 years or so :(

lol come to think of it, we didnt :-( funny how it used to come around and bash us when I wasnt a fan of the rain and what-not but now that I've switched sides, no rain to be had.....

I used to tell friends of mine that when it rains in Arizona---we panick and start to ask around...."who sinned?"

Im just looking forward to a place where there are seasons.....

Think its funny that both of you are from Arizona and want to go back to Minnesota. I'm actually sort of the same way, I moved out to Arizona to go to school at Arizona State for my undergrad, but I'm also over it, totally ready to go back to Minnesota where my family is still living. And not to mention all the outdoor hockey rinks, I miss those!!

Think its funny that both of you are from Arizona and want to go back to Minnesota. I'm actually sort of the same way, I moved out to Arizona to go to school at Arizona State for my undergrad, but I'm also over it, totally ready to go back to Minnesota where my family is still living. And not to mention all the outdoor hockey rinks, I miss those!!

lol another Sun Devil :) <---ASU-west. Exodus, out of AZ and on to MN. I take it you're/ve applied to UofM also?

Yeah I did, just submitted my supplemental and sent in the application fee

Guys, when is the last semester to finish off the prerequisites before class in the fall? I can't get into a statistic class because it's all full. I might have to email the professor and beg to get a spot b/c it is only lecture.....there should be enough seating right?

Guys, when is the last semester to finish off the prerequisites before class in the fall? I can't get into a statistic class because it's all full. I might have to email the professor and beg to get a spot b/c it is only lecture.....there should be enough seating right?

They said before you start...so you can take it in the summer :)

I was born here in AZ and to be frank, I am tired of being here! Wouldn't it be funny if all three of us Arizonans ended up at Minnesota?? I would have to laugh for a very long time about that :)

i've been in minnesota university two months ago, that's a great place, unfortunatly, i was just a tourist there...

I was born here in AZ and to be frank, I am tired of being here! Wouldn't it be funny if all three of us Arizonans ended up at Minnesota?? I would have to laugh for a very long time about that :)

:)

Its been a week since my application has been complete, trying to remain patient in waiting for a response to whether or not I'm receiving an interview. Anyone else recently submit?

Its been a week since my application has been complete, trying to remain patient in waiting for a response to whether or not I'm receiving an interview. Anyone else recently submit?

I think their next interview date is in January, so they might take longer. I'll cross my fingers for you! :xf:

Begging has worked for me. Minnesota takes pre-reqs from a community college, too. You should try that if all else fails. Although they give preference to those who complete their classes at a 4-year university, I don't think they will mind if you took one or two classes at community. I took public speaking, economics, physics, and organic chemistry at community college because I had already graduated from Arizona State University. I still got an interview.

But, I hope you get into your class!

Begging has worked for me. Minnesota takes pre-reqs from a community college, too. You should try that if all else fails. Although they give preference to those who complete their classes at a 4-year university, I don't think they will mind if you took one or two classes at community. I took public speaking, economics, physics, and organic chemistry at community college because I had already graduated from Arizona State University. I still got an interview.

But, I hope you get into your class!

What community college did you take your classes at. I graduated from ASU this last may and I'm taking Stats and physics II at MCC right now, they were not required for my undergrad.

What community college did you take your classes at. I graduated from ASU this last may and I'm taking Stats and physics II at MCC right now, they were not required for my undergrad.

I took them at MCC, too. I am taking Biochem next semester at Paradise Valley with Hoyt. He is a pretty good teacher :) Lots of people complain about him but usually it comes from the students who don't like to work hard for their grade. I forgot to mention I took Micro at CC, too. I took Micro with him. He was really nice and his tests were pretty challenging- but you know what? I took the PCAT just after I finished that class and I got a 98 in the bio portion because of his tests. It was as if his test questions were on the PCAT- I kid you not! Anyway, if you decide to take biochem, you should take it with me next semester! TTh nights at 6pm (I work during the days so I cannot take morning/afternoon classes)

Who are you taking Physics with? I have to take Physics II (I had I with Jacobs at Red Mountain campus) which I will be doing over the summer- bleh... :(

I took them at MCC, too. I am taking Biochem next semester at Paradise Valley with Hoyt. He is a pretty good teacher :) Lots of people complain about him but usually it comes from the students who don't like to work hard for their grade. I forgot to mention I took Micro at CC, too. I took Micro with him. He was really nice and his tests were pretty challenging- but you know what? I took the PCAT just after I finished that class and I got a 98 in the bio portion because of his tests. It was as if his test questions were on the PCAT- I kid you not! Anyway, if you decide to take biochem, you should take it with me next semester! TTh nights at 6pm (I work during the days so I cannot take morning/afternoon classes)

Who are you taking Physics with? I have to take Physics II (I had I with Jacobs at Red Mountain campus) which I will be doing over the summer- bleh... :([/QUOT

I'm taking physics with Dr. Somers. Its just really weird going over to the CC after taking classes at ASU, I mean there are honestly 10 people in my physics class. Today, 5 people were there. Its kind of nice.

What are you taking Biochem for?

biochem's not required by The U...but first semester will be loads easier if you've taken it.

Who are you taking Physics with? I have to take Physics II (I had I with Jacobs at Red Mountain campus) which I will be doing over the summer- bleh... :([/QUOT

I'm taking physics with Dr. Somers. Its just really weird going over to the CC after taking classes at ASU, I mean there are honestly 10 people in my physics class. Today, 5 people were there. Its kind of nice.

You should look into south mountain for your physics II. Im currently taking that class at SCC on Saturdays---didnt offer the class at the West campus and advisor said to just spring but I wanted to knock it out of the way now so I can relax spring and summer. Weird schedule this semester but i'm almost done so I cant complain. Doing the Biochem at the west campus and um, HOLY HELL man....been helluva ride, for better or worse :)

Send an email to either Pierce Hanson or Stacy Tomhave, both are pretty good about filling you in....awesome folks.

PM if you want their emails.

Some schools are adding biochem to their pre-reqs for the next cycle- If I don't get in this cycle, I want to be ready for next time :) Besides, I am genuinely interested in the topic and I figure I would take it with a professor I am familiar with. The other schools I am applying to only require Physics I (the U and one other are the only ones that want the second half)-- why put myself through the agony of Physics II if I don't have to do it?? LOLOLOL All of my other pre-reqs are done, so it is smooth sailing from here on :) It will be so nice to take only 1 class next semester!

As for ASU vs. CC...to be honest, I hated ASU sciences and overall, I wasn't very happy with my experience at ASU. I took Gen Chem and my Bios there. The classes were HUGE, I never got to see the professor, and the other students were too competitive and didn't want to help each other out...the professors also seemed distant/aloof no matter how hard I tried to "get to know them". ALSO- the labs were taught by TA's which REALLY annoyed me. It has been much easier getting to know my profs at CC and it is the profs that teach the labs which is better than a TA anyday. I feel like I learned more at the CC- in the sciences that is. My upper-division classes for my major were AMAZING :)

Send an email to either Pierce Hanson or Stacy Tomhave, both are pretty good about filling you in....awesome folks.

PM if you want their emails.

I'm going to wait a couple of more days and then I may be PMing you for those emails if I don't hear anything by then.

I'm going to wait a couple of more days and then I may be PMing you for those emails if I don't hear anything by then.

Sounds good. Feel free to whenever you'd like.

6 more days until they send out the letters for those of us that interviewed on Nov. 20th...

:xf::xf::xf:

How did U find out when it'll be sent out? I'm so nervous........what if I don't get in? :eek: And if I do, it'll be the best holiday gift ever :D

Received an interview invite today for January!!