University of Minnesota c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@LetItSnow i thought you were off this weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

@LetItSnow i thought you were off this weekend?

I was off this weekend (off student ambassador stuff ... I was working in the hospital like usual, though). Why?

(If you meant my comment about hoping I wasn't the eye-contact-less tour guide, I didn't know if that person interviewed this weekend or last.)

Not gonna lie ... I initially applied to U of M based solely on the suggestion of a friend who interviewed there last year and the fact that they didn't have supplemental essays. I didn't expect to love it, but holy Moses, did I ever. If only their tuition was comparable to my instate. :arghh:

Also, I'd actually have to get an offer. Keep forgetting that part. Lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not gonna lie ... I initially applied to U of M based solely on the suggestion of a friend who interviewed there last year and the fact that they didn't have supplemental essays. I didn't expect to love it, but holy Moses, did I ever. If only their tuition was comparable to my instate. :arghh:

Also, I'd actually have to get an offer. Keep forgetting that part. Lol.

I didn't expect to like it as much as I did either. Here's to us getting in!!!

I was off this weekend (off student ambassador stuff ... I was working in the hospital like usual, though). Why?

(If you meant my comment about hoping I wasn't the eye-contact-less tour guide, I didn't know if that person interviewed this weekend or last.)
ahh I see, yes, I was referring to you about being the tour guide

I did love the tour of the raptor center that I took after the saturday's activities, for those of you going this weekend it is definitely worth checking out!

and speaking as a native californian, I was suprised that the minnesota cold actually wasnt that bad! :) I just hate wind, but then that wind chill goes for anywhere including cali...:rolleyes:... yes I wore a coat today while walking my dog with the light breeze at 65 degrees :)

the school has an awesome facility for horses! the hospital was big, and they have and underwater treadmill for small animal and horses! :)

Reactions: 1 users
ahh I see, yes, I was referring to you about being the tour guide

and speaking as a native californian, I was suprised that the minnesota cold actually wasnt that bad! :) I just hate wind, but then that wind chill goes for anywhere including cali...:rolleyes:... yes I wore a coat today while walking my dog with the light breeze at 65 degrees :)

It's dealing with the cold for months on end that's really the problem... I just want to throw open my windows and sit out on my balcony and not have to spend 5-10 minutes heating up my engine every morning... (considering I'm chronically late as it is...) and having to endure a ten minute walk from my parking lot in -25 degree windchills on a regular basis... Never in my life have I been so ready for winter to be OVER. :annoyed:

Only ten more days until they start making phone calls to admitted students!

It's dealing with the cold for months on end that's really the problem... I just want to throw open my windows and sit out on my balcony and not have to spend 5-10 minutes heating up my engine every morning... (considering I'm chronically late as it is...) and having to endure a ten minute walk from my parking lot in -25 degree windchills on a regular basis... Never in my life have I been so ready for winter to be OVER. :annoyed:

I've been here in MN almost four decades and this one has been sorta kinda brutal. Constant sub-zero temps with it warming up JUST long enough to dump some snow, then back down below zero. Bizarro-land. Usually it melts between snow falls but it's never stayed warm long enough this winter. On the positive side, it's pretty - none of the melty slushy crap everywhere, with nice pretty white snow all over. But on the downside ... brrr.

But it's not USUALLY this bad. :)

Just a good excuse to go have a beer in an ice-fishing shack and pretend to be studying.

On that note, exam in dentistry tomorrow. Back to halfhearted studying.

Are they making phone calls? I thought I read that we would hear by email.
Last year they called us (which I wasn't expecting, I think they said email for us too) and then sent out an email later in the day... and mine didn't come until like 2 hours after everyone else on SDN so there I was freaking out that I'd imagined the phone call (or that they called the wrong person, that sort of thing...) At least it was better than Ohio State... they ran out of time to call everyone on their big final acceptance day so they emailed everyone else, and mine didn't arrive until two days later... so I spent two days wondering whether or not the "congrats you've been accepted" on my online application status page was for real or not...

Last year they called us (which I wasn't expecting, I think they said email for us too) and then sent out an email later in the day... and mine didn't come until like 2 hours after everyone else on SDN so there I was freaking out that I'd imagined the phone call (or that they called the wrong person, that sort of thing...) At least it was better than Ohio State... they ran out of time to call everyone on their big final acceptance day so they emailed everyone else, and mine didn't arrive until two days later... so I spent two days wondering whether or not the "congrats you've been accepted" on my online application status page was for real or not...

Oh man. For some reason I'm terrified of getting an acceptance over the phone. What do you even say!? Haha.

Oh man. For some reason I'm terrified of getting an acceptance over the phone. What do you even say!? Haha.
This would certainly be a welcomed "problem" :)

I think I just said, "oh, thanks," in a somewhat timid voice, trying to sound excited but not too excited, and then said thanks several more times after she said some things, and that was about the extent of the conversation right there. I also remember trying to sound surprised when she said I was accepted or whatever... even though I obviously knew what the phone call was going to be about since my caller ID said the call was coming from Minnesota and I had heard the were giving out acceptances that day. I was actually a bit surprised because I didn't think they were going to be calling (just emailing), but Ohio State was also sending out acceptances that exact same day, so I had been waiting by my phone all morning for them to call. So I got my first two vet school acceptances on the same day... but oddly, it didn't feel nearly as awesomely exhilarating as I thought it would. I mean I was happy, but it didn't really feel like the cheesy TV movie ending I had been imagining it as in my head. Probably because I was home alone and none of my family picked up their darn phones when I called to tell them... But it feels good now thinking about that moment again, after the three hours of sleep I got last night in the midst of trying to care enough about repro physiology to actually study it for my exam this morning...

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like the schedule for Saturday was condensed, so maybe there will be fewer people interviewing than originally planned? I'm looking forward to visiting the campus, and maybe I'll see some of you there :)

Looks like the schedule for Saturday was condensed, so maybe there will be fewer people interviewing than originally planned? I'm looking forward to visiting the campus, and maybe I'll see some of you there :)
tell us more...how do we know the schedule on Saturday is condensed? and does anyone have rough numbers of those who were interviewed - both IS and OOS?

tell us more...how do we know the schedule on Saturday is condensed? and does anyone have rough numbers of those who were interviewed - both IS and OOS?

Well, I got an email that said the schedule changed. Now the first activity after my interview is at 10:45 instead of noon. Of course, I don't know if the activity times are the same for everyone or not.

Well, I got an email that said the schedule changed. Now the first activity after my interview is at 10:45 instead of noon. Of course, I don't know if the activity times are the same for everyone or not.
Be sure to let us know roughly how many you think are there on Saturday...it is all a numbers game at this point!

I'll be there! I'm interviewing tomorrow but will come back for Saturday's activities.

I think you say "That's awesome! Thank you!" (and then totally just hang up on them because you're so excited and want to run off and tell your friends/family/whatever).

Seriously, if you did that, they would die laughing in the office.

I haven't heard if they're doing phone or email or both this year. Last year was the first time (at least, in recent history) that they did phone calls; some other schools have always done it and my guess is that our admissions director decided it's just classier to call someone (and I totally think that, too - it's just professional and classy to make a personal call).

Well for OOS, it's basically how many people you see in the room on Saturday x3. So, I'm bad at estimating, but I'd say there were around 35-40 people in the room on Saturday last week. (Hard to tell because of parents and guests. But it's a rough estimate.) So maybe around 120 OOS people interviewing. With 47 spots available for OOS. I have no idea for IS.

Well, interviews are over. They said decisions would be out this week (probably mid-week). I was really impressed with the campus, and my tour guides were really nice :)

Good luck, everyone!

Well, interviews are over. They said decisions would be out this week (probably mid-week). I was really impressed with the campus, and my tour guides were really nice :)

Good luck, everyone!

wow...
i appreciate their efficiency!

Good luck, everyone!

I LOVED the campus!!! LOVED LOVED LOVED!!! Price is what concerns me most.... And getting accepted! LOL

Good luck, everyone!

they began their interview on 1st Feb and interviews are over now?
It seems they dont have many applicants....

I LOVED the campus!!! LOVED LOVED LOVED!!! Price is what concerns me most.... And getting accepted! LOL

Yeah, especially the last part, lol.

They had 1000+ applicants, like most other schools. They didn't interview hundreds of people, though.

Yeah, especially the last part, lol.

They had 1000+ applicants, like most other schools. They didn't interview hundreds of people, though.

wow..so it implies those who got intervier offer have a high possibility to get in!!!

TheComfyCat, where you there satrurday?? Just curious if I saw you :)

Yes, I was there with my mom :) I was part of the first group who interviewed, so I was in the second group for the student ambassador Q&A panel (right before lunch). I was the one asking questions about exotic pets and clubs. And failing :laugh:

Oh my gosh! You sat at the same table as me for lunch! I was with my mom as well and asked the question regarding residency, and talked to 2 of the student ambassadors by our table!

Oh yeah, you were talking with the equine student. Too bad we didn't get to talk! I'm not sure if you noticed, but the other student ambassador at our table was @LetItSnow

Oh yeah, you were talking with the equine student. Too bad we didn't get to talk! I'm not sure if you noticed, but the other student ambassador at our table was @LetItSnow

Oh my gosh!! That is awesome!!! @LetItSnow thanks for making it a GREAT experience :):)

They started interviewing on Jan 30. It's the same process they've used for many years: three weeks of interviewing with in-state applicants on Thursdays, out-of-state applicants on Fri/Sat. They typically receive around 1000+ applications.

Wait, what? When was this? I deny everything.

Oh my gosh!! That is awesome!!! @LetItSnow thanks for making it a GREAT experience :):)

Yer welcome. Really hope the interview season goes well for everyone and y'all find spots at a school you'd like to be at! :)

Excited to see what the next few days bring :) :):nailbiting:

ahhhh! heres to a nervewracking next few days! I can't focus on my stupid exams this week.... so hard to not keep popping into sdn to check what new info i can glean from people about when we find out lol

just outta curiousity who thinks they are gonna accept 100% if they get accepted to Minnesota? Right now its tied in first place for me

theres no status page this year right???????

just outta curiousity who thinks they are gonna accept 100% if they get accepted to Minnesota? Right now its tied in first place for me

I'm only waiting on one other school right now (my IS), so if I get accepted, it's pretty high up there. (Also waitlisted at WSU, but no real hope there. Not waiting for that if I get an acceptance elsewhere.)

As an OOSer, my percentage is dwindling the more I look at the numbers. LOVED what I saw but can't justify it in my future plan$.

As an OOSer, my percentage is dwindling the more I look at the numbers. LOVED what I saw but can't justify it in my future plan$.
i hear ya, the only reason im hoping for an acceptance here is cause I might have family that I can live with, so itll save me tons of money there. but otherwise yea I totally get it, im oos too

i hear ya, the only reason im hoping for an acceptance here is cause I might have family that I can live with, so itll save me tons of money there. but otherwise yea I totally get it, im oos too
Clutch. Only reason I'm hoping for one at this point is a self esteem boost... Hope my denial (voluntary or not) can improve your odds!

I'm about 95% sure. I'm wait listed at Western, which was my top choice mainly because I live nearby (and so do my friends/ family). But after visiting UMN, I think I'd probably chose it over Western. I'm trying not to plan or anything though, because I really don't want to get my hopes up.

I'm about 95% sure. I'm wait listed at Western, which was my top choice mainly because I live nearby (and so do my friends/ family). But after visiting UMN, I think I'd probably chose it over Western. I'm trying not to plan or anything though, because I really don't want to get my hopes up.
omg this. lol i am from socal too.

I went with expectations of not liking the school and I absolutely fell in love!!! I'm tied between them and Missouri now....ugh!! What scares me most with Minnesota is the price tag....:greedy::inpain: But Im looking into doing equine sports medicine, which is a huge focus in their equine program..... But first I have to get accepted to even think about these issues LOL ;)

I went with expectations of not liking the school and I absolutely fell in love!!! I'm tied between them and Missouri now....ugh!! What scares me most with Minnesota is the price tag....:greedy::inpain: But Im looking into doing equine sports medicine, which is a huge focus in their equine program..... But first I have to get accepted to even think about these issues LOL ;)

Come for Leatherdale Equine Center ... Stay for the weather. :)

I don't think I will if I get accepted...

I was accepted into Missouri, Kansas, and WSU, as much as I liked Minnesota the cost is just REALLY high and I don't think I would be able to afford it long term :/ especially with establishing residency being so difficult there....