University of Minnesota c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You definitely can still finish it by that time, if you choose. I have a couple friends starting the program this summer going into their second year. I'm only 7 credits in so far since I didn't go to the public health institute last year, and I fully expect to be able to be mostly done except for a few transfer credits by the time I enter clinics. You definitely need to load up your summers, but it's doable. I'll be almost halfway through my degree by the end of the summer (and that's a scary thought...). If you don't work full time in your summers, it's pretty reasonable to fit in 6 credits of online courses, which is considered a full time courseload (doable if you work full time, but tough... that's what I did last summer and I had no free time :eek:). If you're able to attend the public health institute full time for all three weeks as opposed to just half days or only 1 or 2 weeks, you can reasonably get another 6 credits there (plus 1 credit for the required power of collaboration course your first summer). Technically you can fit in as many as 7 credits (not including the collaboration course), but they consider 5-6 credits to be a fairly rigorous schedule, so not sure I'd recommend it. All that adds up to about 12 credits. Do that both summers, and use all possible 14 transfer credits, plus the 1 credit of your externship that is required to be through the school of public health rather than vet rotations, and you're almost there! Plus, although it's an option, you don't have to do your 3 master's project credits as transfer credits from the vet school if you would rather use all 14 transfer credits on regular classes from your vet curriculum (I'm hoping to do this, but I can't figure out with the new curriculum if all the classes on this list of possible transfer classes will still exist)... which brings you to a grand total of 42 credits! (That's how many you need).

I'll also throw in that there is a 1 credit public health elective you can take spring of your 1st year in the vet curriculum at UMN (it's lots of fun, despite being an evening class :)), and you can transfer that into your MPH even if you haven't started your MPH yet. So, you can get a 1 credit head start!

Hopefully that all made sense and wasn't more information than you were looking for.

Thanks a lot for the info, it's really helpful and it definitely made sense. It's a relief to know I could complete the degree along with the DVM. Since I don't plan to work or come home during the summers, I think I'll be able to go through the program as you suggest, with ~12 units during summer. I'll also look into that elective; it would be nice to get a head start :)

Members don't see this ad.

any news on whether either the IS or the OS wait list are starting to move? the email on wait list positions was sent on april 15 but am thinking some movement will happen if people didn't send in their deposits. looking for some hopeful signs that those of still waiting get news...

I know it moved ~20 on the first update last year. This year it only moved 5. :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
any news on whether either the IS or the OS wait list are starting to move? the email on wait list positions was sent on april 15 but am thinking some movement will happen if people didn't send in their deposits. looking for some hopeful signs that those of still waiting get news...

IDK if this helps, but Im #1 on the waiting list for OOS and have been since the original listings were sent out. I have not heard anything besides the email on the 15 saying that I have not moved up (as acceptance is the only movement possible). So I assume they havent started making calls to anyone off the waiting lists, or atleast OOS. Hope this helped, the anticipation is killing me!

I'm sure it will move guys. In their information session they said their OOS wait list moves a lot. Plus with how much OOS tuition is, I'm sure there were a lot of people who declined their acceptance. And there were people on this thread who said they denied their spots. I know it sucks to wait though. Hope to see you all as classmates!!

I'm sure it will move guys. In their information session they said their OOS wait list moves a lot. Plus with how much OOS tuition is, I'm sure there were a lot of people who declined their acceptance. And there were people on this thread who said they denied their spots. I know it sucks to wait though. Hope to see you all as classmates!!

I have absolutely zero inside knowledge or influence, but I'd stay patient and hopeful. The OOS wait list has, historically, moved a fair bit, like 98cats said. IS moves as well, just not as much.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure it will move, I'm just anxious for it to start! I'm #8 on the OOS list, and I just hope phone calls start going out soon so I can stop having mini-heart attacks whenever my phone makes any sort of noise :laugh:

I have absolutely zero inside knowledge or influence, but I'd stay patient and hopeful. The OOS wait list has, historically, moved a fair bit, like 98cats said. IS moves as well, just not as much.
Easy for you all to say...to stay patient. You are already in -- sitting on the outside wishing we "get the call" is really hard and often easy to forget how tough it is. Trying not to get too pessimistic but seems like at every turn we get stymied. so wish we all have our dreams come true...so for other waitlisters - I get your pain and am right there with you...

Easy for you all to say...to stay patient. You are already in -- sitting on the outside wishing we "get the call" is really hard and often easy to forget how tough it is. Trying not to get too pessimistic but seems like at every turn we get stymied. so wish we all have our dreams come true...so for other waitlisters - I get your pain and am right there with you...

Hey now. That's not exactly fair. Don't forget, I've been there! I know exactly what it's like to wait! And it is tough, but the very best thing you can do is be patient and carry on with life. The busier you are with other things, the less slow it will seem waiting. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey now. That's not exactly fair. Don't forget, I've been there! I know exactly what it's like to wait! And it is tough, but the very best thing you can do is be patient and carry on with life. The busier you are with other things, the less slow it will seem waiting. :)
You are right...patience is not a strong suit of mine. And, when you want something soooo badly it is hard to see it slipping away......

You are right...patience is not a strong suit of mine. And, when you want something soooo badly it is hard to see it slipping away......

It's tough when you put so much effort into something to just sit back and feel like you can't DO anything. I get it. :)

Are you all talking about the Twin Cities wait list rankings?
the IS and the OS wait lists...trying to gauge how much they have moved and how much they are expected to move. Let us know if you have any information. a lot of folks are sitting on pins and needles hoping beyond hope for some great news.

Members don't see this ad :)
the IS and the OS wait lists...trying to gauge how much they have moved and how much they are expected to move. Let us know if you have any information. a lot of folks are sitting on pins and needles hoping beyond hope for some great news.
Well, that is interesting. Sorry to disappoint, but I do not have any information. In fact, I did not get any kind of information on ranking yet. How is that possible?

Well, that is interesting. Sorry to disappoint, but I do not have any information. In fact, I did not get any kind of information on ranking yet. How is that possible?

Are you in the right place? This is the pre-vet forum...

OK - which brave soul is willing to call the U of MN to find out when they are updating their IS and OS wait list numbers? Last official word was on the 15th. Am hoping they've gotten more information on who gave up spots or got off the list by now...

On their FAQ page, it says the first update will be sent out around 25th. So, that email on 15th almost gave me a heart attack....:penguin:My number moved only 1 and I guess this recent update was sent out after some wait-listers declined their spots since #1 is still not off the list..??

On their FAQ page, it says the first update will be sent out around 25th. So, that email on 15th almost gave me a heart attack....:penguin:My number moved only 1 and I guess this recent update was sent out after some wait-listers declined their spots since #1 is still not off the list..??
Are you OS or IS? And, I suppose movement will depend who/how many ahead of you opts to let go of their spot because they got in somewhere else...

Are you OS or IS? And, I suppose movement will depend who/how many ahead of you opts to let go of their spot because they got in somewhere else...
I'm OS! I hope we all start hearing good news this week!:nod:

I'm the one with the #1 OOS spot, have had it since feb. I emailed them today and all they really told me was that if a spot opens up, they'll notify me immediately. Not much help :/

I'm the one with the #1 OOS spot, have had it since feb. I emailed them today and all they really told me was that if a spot opens up, they'll notify me immediately. Not much help :/
#1 - wow! that is so cool. Keep us posted...if you hear anything! good luck. We are all hoping for movement...I am way down on the list but am thinking maybe miracles can happen...

I wonder if they will start making wait list calls on April 25? They have said that their first wait list update will be then, but we already got one on the 15th. Maybe it's just the anxiety talking.... :dead:

I wonder if they will start making wait list calls on April 25? They have said that their first wait list update will be then, but we already got one on the 15th. Maybe it's just the anxiety talking.... :dead:

I hope so! I came into this feeling good but all the time to think has me freaking out myself. I'm tired of jumping every time my phone rings

I hope so! I came into this feeling good but all the time to think has me freaking out myself. I'm tired of jumping every time my phone rings
you are sitting at number 1 - you don't have a ton to worry about! rooting for everyone although those of us holding much much lower numbers have a loooong frightening wait.

Anyone know how far they usually go down on the waitlist by comparing previous years?

Anyone know how far they usually go down on the waitlist by comparing previous years?

Really reluctant to answer that, because the way the universe works one of us will throw a number out there and this will be the year that it moves half as much or less. Yanno? I don't want to set any false expectations or anything that lead to disappointment.

Just a few more days until you start hearing some movement! And keep it mind it will continue to move all the way up until ... well, we had someone join my class two weeks after school had started.

@LetItSnow
Do you know how far it went down on average in previous years? I am getting even more anxious:nailbiting:

If you guys really really want to know, I'm pretty sure I mentioned both the IS & OOS numbers from last year in some thread somewhere at some point... scavenger hunt time! Good way to get out some nervous energy???

If you guys really really want to know, I'm pretty sure I mentioned both the IS & OOS numbers from last year in some thread somewhere at some point... scavenger hunt time! Good way to get out some nervous energy???

I found it! You said ~#56 for OOS. Thanks:)

So I know there is a thread about rabies vaccinations but I was wondering if anyone knew the approximate cost of the rabies vaccination at the clinic on campus in the fall. I will not have student health insurance and even though my insurance has said they will not cover it,I know a lot of people have had luck getting their insurance to cover it if they get it through their doctor and their doctor declares it "medically necessary". Anyways if it is a lot cheaper on campus I will wait, but if the price is comparable I am going to try to get it through my doctor, if anyone knows a ballpark price I would appreciate the info. I have emailed the health service with no luck...

Oh, and I should probably mention regarding the above posts about waitlist numbers, that I have heard through the grapevine that more students accepted their seats than usual this year. I don't want to be a downer, but I don't want you guys to get your hopes up too much regarding last year's numbers. And that is the absolute only piece of information I have heard (and albeit, indirectly, so take it for what it's worth), so don't go asking what else I know!

Oh, and I should probably mention regarding the above posts about waitlist numbers, that I have heard through the grapevine that more students accepted their seats than usual this year. I don't want to be a downer, but I don't want you guys to get your hopes up too much regarding last year's numbers. And that is the absolute only piece of information I have heard (and albeit, indirectly, so take it for what it's worth), so don't go asking what else I know!

Yeah, and your numbers were higher than my year, too.

You really have your ear to the ground, apparently. I haven't heard squat. But it might be because I basically checked out last semester.... :)

A
Re you talking os or is or both? I have to say this waiting on the waitlist stinks.. I have fallen into a nasty pessimistic place...having a hard time seeing an acceptance with what I am reading....

A

Re you talking os or is or both? I have to say this waiting on the waitlist stinks.. I have fallen into a nasty pessimistic place...having a hard time seeing an acceptance with what I am reading....
I don't know :shrug: For what it's worth, it's not the end of the world if you don't get in, even though it feels like it. Lot's of people won't get into vet school this year. I don't know if you're a first timer or not, but even if you're not, plenty of people get in on their third or fourth or seventh try. One of the people in my class who I think is perhaps one of the best among us, so to speak (and I mean an all around great person & leader, not necessarily academics) got in on her sixth or seventh try. You may not have that many tries in you, but should choose to, the option is there. I don't know what your number is, but if you really think your chances are slim and it's really getting you down waiting to hear, maybe it's time to try assuming you won't be getting in, and if you do, it'll be a happy surprise? Moving on for now may be the best thing for you. Our last waitlister got off the list two weeks before school started last year, and waiting around wondering for that long isn't good for anyone. But I do wish you the best of luck, and try not to get yourself down too much. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know what your number is, but if you really think your chances are slim and it's really getting you down waiting to hear, maybe it's time to try assuming you won't be getting in, and if you do, it'll be a happy surprise? Moving on for now may be the best thing for you.

Honestly, I'd start preparing for a second (or third or whatever) go-around immediately; I wouldn't wait. There is just no downside to doing so.

1) If you don't get in, you're that much further down the road to re-applying.
2) If you do get in, you've gained that much more experience and made more contacts in the field, which will help you in and after vet school.
3) Either way, it keeps you busy and on-task while you wait.

A

I betcha there are some people who got outright rejected that would be happy to trade spots with you! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Where do you people hear all this information (I'm looking at you @dovelover and @LetItSnow ) I honestly would have no idea about where this year's applicant pool was at other than checking this forum.

That being said, I think the best thing for the waiting crowd to do is to follow the above advice, work on gaining more experience, making money (the more the merrier!), and anything else to keep yourself from going crazy with the anticipation. Especially because there's no telling when (or sadly if) you'll hear - like they mentioned above it could be at the end of August so there's really no use getting upset or worked up over it at this early stage of the game.

And if not, well you'll have that much more experience under your belt and hopefully that much of a better shot at getting in next cycle.

Best of luck to you guys!

hey does anyone here know more about the army corps? are there any people in your class(es) that participate in this program? Id like to PM someone with questions. :)

This is what I posted on the general waitlist thread (for some reason I stopped getting alerts for this one and have been oblivious to the convo the last couple days) "University of Minnesota went to 56 last year (I believe the last person got called in like the second week of August). Other than that, I know they went through 34 the past three years. (Note: these are the initial wait list numbers, not the April 15th updates)" These are OOS numbers. Addressing the issue of a lot of people accepting this year: I jumped from 34 to 29 on the 15th. I heard that the 56 slot (last year) jumped around 20 spaces on last years first update. This years jump seems pretty small even when taking the distance between 34 and 56 into account. I'm sure that many of the wait list 'acceptances' are insurance for individuals who are hoping to get into other schools whether it be for financial reasons or just personal preference. That being said I'm still biting my nails waiting for @PaulsPaws to let us know when they start calling! Good luck to y'all!

This is what I posted on the general waitlist thread (for some reason I stopped getting alerts for this one and have been oblivious to the convo the last couple days) "University of Minnesota went to 56 last year (I believe the last person got called in like the second week of August). Other than that, I know they went through 34 the past three years. (Note: these are the initial wait list numbers, not the April 15th updates)" These are OOS numbers. Addressing the issue of a lot of people accepting this year: I jumped from 34 to 29 on the 15th. I heard that the 56 slot (last year) jumped around 20 spaces on last years first update. This years jump seems pretty small even when taking the distance between 34 and 56 into account. I'm sure that many of the wait list 'acceptances' are insurance for individuals who are hoping to get into other schools whether it be for financial reasons or just personal preference. That being said I'm still biting my nails waiting for @PaulsPaws to let us know when they start calling! Good luck to y'all!
thanks for the substantive info and clearly a kindred soul! let's start those lists moving. we want in. we don't want to be waiting.

Thanks for the info! And I still haven't heard anything besides the ambiguous reply to my email on Monday. If/When I hear from them, I'll immediately post to here to let you guys know.

hey does anyone here know more about the army corps? are there any people in your class(es) that participate in this program? Id like to PM someone with questions. :)
Hah oh man... I have a story to share about the Army Health Professions Scholarship Program if that's what you're interested in. It's not a fun or happy story but PM me if you want the details.

Hah oh man... I have a story to share about the Army Health Professions Scholarship Program if that's what you're interested in. It's not a fun or happy story but PM me if you want the details.

I'm guessing it's no worse than the two people in my class who got screwed by the military. You ever hear their story?

I'm quite interested in how people get taken advantage of. I've considered going into the military whether it be the army or air force. The money is a pretty persuasive factor especially since we won't be making a lot as veterinarians. Also, I'm not really against serving a few years. Can one of you extrapolate? Or pm me if you don't want it out on the forums.. I would really appreciate the heads up.

any news on waitlist movement?
We are supposed to be getting an update today. If my spot doesn't move I think I'm going to give them a call to see if the class is full or not.