University of Minnesota c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They called but I forgot to add my name to my voicemail so they didn't leave a message but when I called back she gave me the good news! She said they will send out follow up emails later today.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Patience Iago.

In years past they have made some preemptive phone calls to people and send out the official emails later that day. I'm sure you'll hear either way very soon.

I was told emails would be sent at around 4 pm CST in my phone call.

Emails sent! Wait listed, #15!

Now that the waiting game continues for me... Does anyone have any insight on how much the non-resident waitlist moves?

Now that the waiting game continues for me... Does anyone have any insight on how much the non-resident waitlist moves?

Heh. That question comes up every year. And it's always .... awkward to answer. Probably the school would prefer we just said something like "it varies from year to year," which is true.

And I always hate to say something like "oh, you're sitting good" ...... and then have that be the year it doesn't move much and now I've been a jackass and given someone false hope, yanno?

Allllll of that caveat-ish stuff said: #15 is probably a pretty good place to be on the OOS wait list on an average year. I would be very hopeful in your shoes.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools, but at this point there's a pretty good chance that I will be declining my spot (mostly because of OOS tuition). I imagine many others will as well. Too bad I can't just hand off my seat to you/someone on the waitlist! It's nice that they tell you exactly where you sit though! Being that high on the list, you should have a pretty good chance of getting a seat. :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools, but at this point there's a pretty good chance that I will be declining my spot (mostly because of OOS tuition). I imagine many others will as well. Too bad I can't just hand off my seat to you/someone on the waitlist! It's nice that they tell you exactly where you sit though! Being that high on the list, you should have a pretty good chance of getting a seat. :)

I am in the same boat, I am waiting to hear back from my IS. I really liked Minnesota but the cost for OOS makes it difficult for me to justify attendance. Most likely, if I get into my IS I will go there instead of Minnesota.

After that interview, I was sure there was no way I was getting in... but I got the phone call! Accepted, OOS!

Reactions: 2 users

First of all, congrats all! I was also #15 on OOS waitlist two years ago, and I was accepted off it in early June (I had already decided on my Tufts acceptance). From what the admissions office told me, it was a weird year where almost all of the OOS admitted students ended up sending a deposit in--usually some at least decline it--so they thought I would actually be accepted sooner.

YMMV, of course, depending on if a large number decline their acceptances right away or if everyone sends in a deposit for now. When they accept people off the waitlist, they usually give you a week to decide to accept or decline, which takes time (I knew I used the whole week to confirm my choice!). But I'd say you have a really good shot at being accepted. And the admission office was totally amazing, sending me updates periodically.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah... very hard to comment on wait list positions. My year they went all the way down to #52 or something on the OOS waitlist. Last year the list barely moved at all.
But congrats to everyone on the acceptances! :claps: Hopefully we'll see a lot of you next year!

Thanks all for the waitlist insights! I am trying not to be too hopeful, but can't help it. Since my IS didn't show me any love, I am justifying the cost in my mind, if accepted. :rolleyes::D Well I was sure that I was gonna get rejected so this actually came as good news to me.

Congrats to all who got acceptances!

Accepted!! OOS. If I get into my IS (Madison), I will be forfeiting my spot at Minnesota so there's definitely still hope for waitlisters!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted OOS! I love UMN but I have a Kstate acceptance and I'm alternate at 3 schools I REALLY loved. I have to think a little more, but if I do decline I hope it moves one of you guys up! Congrats to everyone :)

I'm 90% sure I will be accepting my seat am I was wondering if anyone has any advice on general areas to look for an apartment or house to rent. We didn't get to do much driving around when I was there to interview but I'm assuming there are better parts of the cities than others as with most places. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm 90% sure I will be accepting my seat am I was wondering if anyone has any advice on general areas to look for an apartment or house to rent. We didn't get to do much driving around when I was there to interview but I'm assuming there are better parts of the cities than others as with most places. Any help would be appreciated!

If you want to be within walking distance there's really not a 'bad' area to be in. How far away are you wanting to be?

My husband would be transferring within his company to Savage. We were hoping to be able to find something between campus and there. We have a bloodhound that does good in a house but a small apartment is a no go for her. We also have a beagle mix who is perfect in any living situation

My husband would be transferring within his company to Savage. We were hoping to be able to find something between campus and there. We have a bloodhound that does good in a house but a small apartment is a no go for her. We also have a beagle mix who is perfect in any living situation
emoji4.png

I was working on a reply but then you posted that second message and well, I don't really know that area at all so I can't really help. But you've got lots of time to look unless you're planning on moving soon. Most places I'm seeing advertised now are available late spring/early summer at the latest.

Savage is pretty far south so there's a lot of real estate between the vet school and there you can look into, each with various neighborhoods that have their own reputations. I lived in South Minneapolis for awhile (by 62 & Hiawatha) and I really like that area. There's a great off leash dog park as well as walking trails around the Minnehaha Falls.

Hi all, I know this has been somewhat addressed in various places - including interview day student panel - but I was hoping to hear more from people who have and have not been successful in establishing in-state residency following the 1st year of the DVM program at Mn. I loved U of Mn and I am seriously considering accepting my offer of admission, but cost is a huge factor in my decision-making process - saving 100 grand over the course of 4 yrs is no trivial matter! What's the likelihood of being able to make that switch - does it help that I am pushing 30 so going back to live with mom and dad after graduating is not likely? Do you have to work a certain # of hours per week at a non-school-related job? I did read the info on their website about residency, but it still seems a little fuzzy. Thank you for your input!

I'm definitely not the expert on this by any means, but it does seem to be a fuzzy process in general. From what I've heard things like working in MN, changing drivers license and car plates to MN, not leaving the state for extended periods of time (like summer) are all important? or helpful in gaining residency status. But like I mentioned, it sounds like it's kind of a subjective process and no one can really tell you that you have to do x, y, and z and you'll get residency.

Take this all with a grain of salt though because I was born and raised in MN so I've never actually had to think about it too much and just hear things around campus about it.

I called this morning and talked to the Residency Coordinator in the Office of Admissions (undergraduate, not vet med). She was not pleasant and would not give me a straight answer about anything. She was also mad that I didn't have a student ID number, and I tried to explain I haven't accepted my seat yet but she kept cutting me off before I could explain. She directed me to the website and was annoyed when I had a follow up question. Good luck if you choose to call!

I called this morning and talked to the Residency Coordinator in the Office of Admissions (undergraduate, not vet med). She was not pleasant and would not give me a straight answer about anything. She was also mad that I didn't have a student ID number, and I tried to explain I haven't accepted my seat yet but she kept cutting me off before I could explain. She directed me to the website and was annoyed when I had a follow up question. Good luck if you choose to call!
Wow, lovely! What happened to "Minnesota nice"..

The undergraduate university here is HUGE. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere talking to them if you have questions about the vet med program. Also things like residency for undergrads are very different than for vet students (like reciprocity no longer coming into play etc). I think your best bet would be to talk to the vet med administrative peeps.

Hi all, I know this has been somewhat addressed in various places - including interview day student panel - but I was hoping to hear more from people who have and have not been successful in establishing in-state residency following the 1st year of the DVM program at Mn. I loved U of Mn and I am seriously considering accepting my offer of admission, but cost is a huge factor in my decision-making process - saving 100 grand over the course of 4 yrs is no trivial matter! What's the likelihood of being able to make that switch - does it help that I am pushing 30 so going back to live with mom and dad after graduating is not likely? Do you have to work a certain # of hours per week at a non-school-related job? I did read the info on their website about residency, but it still seems a little fuzzy. Thank you for your input!

@kcoughli pretty much spelled it out. It's a fuzzy process and kinda a dark secret thing. Empirically, it's possible, because I know a lot of people who did it. But I think the problem is that it's not 100% objective, so nobody can give you an actual straight-up answer. Probably the best answer is that if you stay in state during the summers and have a job here and a permanent address and plates on your car ... you have a great chance at it. The fuzziness is frustrating; I get it. UMN would do well to re-vamp their approach to the issue.

I doubt that being older works against you OR for you. I could just as easily say "ok, you don't live with mom and dad, but you probably have established roots wherever you're at and are likely to go back"... yanno? So I wouldn't count on that being a factor either way. But again ... nobody really knows except the administrative person making the decision.

I was under the impression the vet school has a residency person specifically tasked with evaluating vet school residency requests. I expect it's handled differently from the undergrad residency people. It sucks that you were treated rudely. I will say this; I've found the <vet school> administrative people to be absolutely wonderful to work with ........ and I've found the broader university administrative people to be very hit or miss. A surprising number of them seem to get really annoyed working with students. Makes you wonder why they don't leave. I mean... it is a university after all. You can kinda expect to deal with students at some point in most jobs there.

Thanks for the info. I do remember them saying at the interview day/info session that the residency matter was handled by the university at large - not the vet school, but I suppose the vet school administrative people can advise on the matter, with the actual decision ultimately being up to the university.

Thanks for the info. I do remember them saying at the interview day/info session that the residency matter was handled by the university at large - not the vet school, but I suppose the vet school administrative people can advise on the matter, with the actual decision ultimately being up to the university.

It is handled by the larger university in the sense that the vet school doesn't have its own staff member (within the college). But there is a (graduate) residency staff person who handles all the vet school students. I don't know who it is, but if I had to guess just based on the way the U works, it's probably the same person who handles the other AHC (Academic Health Center) colleges (med, dental, etc.).

I might not be making sense.

Wow, lovely! What happened to "Minnesota nice"..

It is more like Minnesota passive aggressive. We are rude, but with a smile on our face. I never realized it, until I moved to a different state.

Also, I grew up in MN for context.

Congrats to those accepted! I look forward to meeting you! I was originally a member of the class of 2018 but am taking a year's leave of absence so I can spend the first few months with my newborn son rather than risk flunking out. I will be joining the class of 2019 next spring. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that some of the c/o 2018 members started a c/o 2019 Facebook group for you all! Kinda a tradition.

Here's the link, not sure if it will work or not...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556314281308097/

If the link doesn't work, search University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine c/o 2019

It's a great resource initially to find housing, textbooks, and get advice about other things as well. After the semester starts it's a critical tool for communication regarding course material and exam prep.

Did we start a FB page for the c/o 2018?? I specifically recall one of our own starting our 2017 page... did we start a new tradition!? Why am I always the last to know? :p

But yes, seriously, join the FB group. Even if you don't currently have FB. It's insane how helpful it is - people are constantly posting study guides/tricks/info plus random funny pictures to help us all make it through the day. Not to mention helpful tidbits like hey guys, reminder that quiz is due tonight (which may have saved me on more than one occasion).

Did we start a FB page for the c/o 2018?? I specifically recall one of our own starting our 2017 page... did we start a new tradition!? Why am I always the last to know? :p

I believe there were two last year, one created by a c/o 2017 member, and another created by a c/o 2018 member a few days later. I'm pretty sure (but I could be wrong) that the one created by the c/o 2017 member was the one that ended up becoming the official page. Strangely, there are NO members of the c/o 2019 in the group right now (other than myself… but I'm kinda in that weird 2018/2019 group because of my LOA). I remember the admin originally being a c/o 2017 member and she had to pass the admin duties to a c/o 2018 person so we could kick the upperclassmen out. We later learned that it was best to keep one or two approved upperclassmen for occasional consultation purposes.

Thanks for making the fb page! I'm excited to see who all is in the 2019 class

I second that, thank you for making the group! I will be accepting my seat for the c/o 2019 :)

I believe there were two last year, one created by a c/o 2017 member, and another created by a c/o 2018 member a few days later. I'm pretty sure (but I could be wrong) that the one created by the c/o 2017 member was the one that ended up becoming the official page. Strangely, there are NO members of the c/o 2019 in the group right now (other than myself… but I'm kinda in that weird 2018/2019 group because of my LOA). I remember the admin originally being a c/o 2017 member and she had to pass the admin duties to a c/o 2018 person so we could kick the upperclassmen out. We later learned that it was best to keep one or two approved upperclassmen for occasional consultation purposes.
Actually last year's was definitely created by a c/o 2018 member from SDN (but you could argue there were more of us on there than there were 2018ers at first), and I created my class's... so I guess that just means you started a new tradition ;)

It is more like Minnesota passive aggressive. We are rude, but with a smile on our face. I never realized it, until I moved to a different state.

Also, I grew up in MN for context.
I know lol. I go to undergrad on the border of MN and WI. I just had to make a joke. :)

Does anyone know if there is a minimum GPA for your spring semester you have to get in order to keep your spot at UMN for the Fall? My physiology course is making me nervous...

Does anyone know if there is a minimum GPA for your spring semester you have to get in order to keep your spot at UMN for the Fall? My physiology course is making me nervous...
I think I read that you just have to pass all required courses or something. Maybe? Lol.

I think you need a C or higher in all prereqs.

Anybody know when you should start looking for an apartment? And is it still possible to find one if you wait until like May?..

Anybody know when you should start looking for an apartment? And is it still possible to find one if you wait until like May?..
You'll probably be fine waiting until May (assuming you want to move in late August/early Sept). In fact you'll probably have better luck waiting until then because a lot of what's being advertised right now is available right now.

You'll probably be fine waiting until May (assuming you want to move in late August/early Sept). In fact you'll probably have better luck waiting until then because a lot of what's being advertised right now is available right now.
What if you're wanting to move in like mid-july?

You might be confusing Minnesota with Iowa - the people in Iowa are absolutely the NICEST people I have ever met. It was a total culture shock when I moved there from New England - never thought human beings as a species could be that nice :)

I didn't go looking for apartments for mid-August until mid-late June and I was fine... they had stuff available much earlier than I wanted too. Especially if you're looking more for an apartment in a larger complex as opposed to a house or duplex type place.

I didn't go looking for apartments for mid-August until mid-late June and I was fine... they had stuff available much earlier than I wanted too. Especially if you're looking more for an apartment in a larger complex as opposed to a house or duplex type place.
So if you're wanting a house you should look earlier is what you are saying? Just making sure lol. And I think I will just take what I can get for as cheap as possible... prices living in the city is really scaring me.. :/

I went in late July to find housing, and moved in at the end of August. I was looking primarily at houses/ duplexes because I have too many animals for an apartment (2 dogs/ 2 cats, and most apartments in the area have a 2 pet limit).

Most of the housing wasn't available until September, so I should have looked for housing in June instead of July. I still ended up finding a great place, though.

I would start looking in april or may for roommates among your classmates ( like on the facebook page) thats how many of us found people. Most apartments here look for about a 2 month notice for moving out, so a lot of what they will have available for an august move in will be posted in late may/early june.

Also try and live in st paul. the cities can have cheap housing near the undergrad east bank campus, but its just far. the less the commute the better I always say.....