University of Minnesota - Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know the interview slots in march?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed this past Friday and these were the stats they gave us as of 1/31:

11 applicants interviewing today (low number because they had skype interviews with international students that day as well)
212 total applicants interviewed (including today's interviews)
148 applicants reviewed for admission
112 applicants admitted
165 spots in the Class of 2018 (60 Duluth, 105 Twin Cities)
Thanks!! Keep posting stats you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
alright changed my interview to Twin Cities next Friday. Anyone have any recommendations for hotel? =]

Hi all! I'm feelin' pretty bittersweet right now. Interviewed 1/31 and found out today I'm on the ranked waitlist, but I guess at least they're interested. Does anyone know how big the short list generally is (haha another oxymoron)? Anyways, I just want to have a practical outlook. I already stressed hard for two weeks, not sure if my body can take another couple months lol

Last edited:
Hi all! I'm feelin' pretty bittersweet right now. Interviewed 1/31 and found out today I'm on the ranked waitlist, but I guess at least they're interested. Does anyone know how big the short list generally is (haha another oxymoron)? Anyways, I just want to have a practical outlook. I already stressed hard for two weeks, not sure if my body can take another couple months lol

If the trend from previous threads continue, I believe the ranked waitlist should be around 70-80ish (If I remember correctly) and typically 20-35ish are taken off it? I am just speaking from memory, but if you search the older 2016-2017 threads I am sure you will find your answer.

Reactions: 1 user

Do you mind sharing your stats?

- 3.09 GPA
- 73 PCAT w/ low 90's in bio and chem
-Bachelors in biochem & molecular bio
- 7 years as a pharmacy tech

Degree, experience, and scores in the bio/chem section should help you.

We'll see, only time will tell. Thanks for the positive feedback, it helped my ego lol
being putting in the ranked wait list is better than getting rejected or putting on the non-ranked wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 more days before i find out about my decision... it has been a long wait...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Are there any chance they will response to us before the respond date they gave us (feb 24)

Are there any chance they will response to us before the respond date they gave us (feb 24)

Yep. I was supposed to hear from them on Monday, Feb. 17th and got the email around noon the Friday before.

That was a weak whoo-hoo. It needs more emoticons.
Haha well... I was screaming, yelling and group texting to all of my closest friends about it and I'mon my way to New York City to make a big whoo-woo!!!

As of the 21st of this month:

269 total applicants interviewed
211 applicants reviewed for admission
146 applicants admitted
165 spots in class of 2018
65% to admission target goal

I am thinking of putting in my supplemental, do u guys think it's too late?

Hey so I got an interview on the 7th! I have a questions about students living in Minneapolis. What's the cost of living like? Rent?Food? Is having a car worth it? Are there convenient places for pharm students to park on campus?

Hey so I got an interview on the 7th! I have a questions about students living in Minneapolis. What's the cost of living like? Rent?Food? Is having a car worth it? Are there convenient places for pharm students to park on campus?

Let's see...

If you want to live on campus, it depends if you want to have a roommate. If you want a shared bedroom, maybe like $500? The cheapest I could find to have my own bedroom was $650. If you don't mind living a couple miles away, you can save $50-$100/month.

I started taking my car on campus last year, and I love it. I can go out and get groceries whenever I want and go out when I need something. Also, it gives you more job opportunities, since there will be a lot more competition on campus.

I'm not sure what parking is going to be like for pharmacy students. As an undergrad, you got entered into a "parking lottery", and some lucky kids got to pick what/where the lot they parked first.

Cost of living and food? I would say it's like any midwest-state. It's really what you make of it - you can live luxurious or you can live cost efficiently. I've never lived anywhere else, so I can't say too much.

Have you decided to continue on pursuing a pharmacy degree?

Hey so I got an interview on the 7th! I have a questions about students living in Minneapolis.

Did they give you updated statistics? Still have fingers crossed I will have an interview. I got my application in right at the end.

If you're in interviewing at Duluth, I'd recommend staying at the Days Inn on London road. I called and they said one night would be around 90$ _but I asked them about the university discount and they cut that price in half.

Also, I don't know about twin cities but the students at Duluth said parking on campus costed something like 180$ / year? And there are usually spaces because pharm students have class before most of the undergrad.

Days inn also has a shuttle that can take you to and from campus

Interviewed on Feb 21st and woke up today to a lovely twin cities acceptance email :)

I was wondering if anyone knows how hard is it to get in state tuition if you're coming in as an out of state student? In other words what are the qualifications for being considered fir in state tuition?

I was wondering if anyone knows how hard is it to get in state tuition if you're coming in as an out of state student? In other words what are the qualifications for being considered fir in state tuition?
you can't really get in-state tuition in minnesota... you have to live in minnesota for a year but it doesn't count if you are there for school

You can marry someone from the state. :p That's the only thing I was told when I was looking at other out of state schools.

I don't think marrying a minnesota resident gives you in-state tuition.. Correct me if I'm wrong haha.

I don't think marrying a minnesota resident gives you in-state tuition.. Correct me if I'm wrong haha.

Yes it does - honestly. My boyfriend is a resident of TN, and if I didn't get into MN, they said I would quality for in-state tuition anytime during the 4 years if we got married.

Yes it does - honestly. My boyfriend is a resident of TN, and if I didn't get into MN, they said I would quality for in-state tuition anytime during the 4 years if we got married.

Comment is kind of confusing.

Wait so marrying your boyfriend from Tennessee will give you in state for Tennessee. But is that the case for Minnesota? Each state is different. In California you just attend school for one year and you can get in state the years after that.

You should probably research and read the actual law for Minneosta before saying this because every state has different laws for gaining state residencies.

At the interview, one of the speakers specifically said that there was no way of becoming a Minnesota resident and getting in-state tuition if you were only there for school. She didn't saying anything about marriage though..

http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/ResidencyReciprocity.pdf
"Spouses and Common Households. Marital status and common
household relationships may support an application for resident
status but do not in and of themselves meet the Basic Definition of
Resident Status."

I am pretty sure this is all states - if you google the topic, there are a ton of news articles that come up about people doing it. I know my boss at work who went to University of Iowa said he knew a few people who did that.

http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/ResidencyReciprocity.pdf
"Spouses and Common Households. Marital status and common
household relationships may support an application for resident
status but do not in and of themselves meet the Basic Definition of
Resident Status."

I am pretty sure this is all states - if you google the topic, there are a ton of news articles that come up about people doing it. I know my boss at work who went to University of Iowa said he knew a few people who did that.

Basic definition of Resident Status is you have to live in Minnesota for a year and you cannot attend school. Doesn't this indicate that being a spouse will help but will still not meet the requirement?

total living cost + insurance + out of state tuition will cost around 55-60K a year....

I'm going to set up a donation event for myself.... y'all are more than welcome to drop couple dollars every now and then...