Program-Specific Info / Q's University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julianac4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to the University of Minnesota's OT program? I'm not sure how I feel about the hybrid structure with such a hands on field... If you are , what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied, just need to finish that supplemental application and submit it. Im not sure how i feel about that either. It isnt my top choice school, but someone told me that the rochester one is on mayo's campus. Do you know if thats true? I think that'd be pretty cool. My GPA is a 3.87 and prereq GPA is 3.8. GRE was 155 verbal, 154 quant, and 4 writing. Shadowed 148 hours.
I went to their informational seminar and they didn't say anything about being at Mayo for the Rochester location. It could be there though! It isn't my top choice either, I would rather learn in a classroom setting. Did you apply to both campuses? Good luck!

Which campus are you applying to? I submitted my application for Minneapolis, but it hasn't been verified yet. Rochester looks really cute (at least on Google maps), but I'm a city girl. I would be okay with doing a hybrid program (perhaps prefer it?), although I wonder if it would inhibit our really getting to know and bond with fellow classmates. I'm hesitant to give out GPA until my app is verified; however, my prereq GPA is considerably higher than my cumulative. My shadowing hours are +70 in a few settings. My GRE was 164V, 150Q, 4.0W.

Did you already submit your diversity supplemental essay? Would you want to share your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both campuses mostly to up my chances. I haven't submitted the supplemental essay yet, but working on it! I'm having a hard time with it since I'm pretty average...My stats are
OTCAS GPA: 3.61
Prereq: 3.8
GRE: 150-Q, 154-V, 4.5 AW

Volunteer/observation: 104 hours volunteering with OT's in geriatrics, memory care, rehabilitation hospital, and school setting special education room

Experiences: PCA for 800 hours (performed OT, PT and speech therapy exercises--attended OT and speech therapy session), Resident advisor for 3 years

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I visited the U of M Rochester campus last week. It is located on the Mayo campus, but is not affiliated. They also said that many applicants struggle with the supplemental essay, and that we shouldn't worry about it too much. They suggested focusing on a time when you were in the minority...maybe on a study abroad trip or volunteer experience. I asked about writing about experiences with diversity (even if its not about you actually being in the minority), and they said that's fine too. Hope that helps!

Hi everyone, I visited the U of M Rochester campus last week. It is located on the Mayo campus, but is not affiliated. They also said that many applicants struggle with the supplemental essay, and that we shouldn't worry about it too much. They suggested focusing on a time when you were in the minority...maybe on a study abroad trip or volunteer experience. I asked about writing about experiences with diversity (even if its not about you actually being in the minority), and they said that's fine too. Hope that helps!
That's good to know, thanks for sharing!

Does the University of Minnesota receive a lot of applicants? It's my top choice and I'm worried especially since we have to wait until mid March to find out anything!

Does the University of Minnesota receive a lot of applicants? It's my top choice and I'm worried especially since we have to wait until mid March to find out anything!
At the info session I attended last year they said they typically get between 500-600 applicants. I'm not sure how many apply to both campuses or just one though. They did say that more apply to the twin cities campus and its extremely rare to get into both the Rochester and Twin Cities campus and be able to pick between the two. Did you apply to both campuses? I also hate that we have to wait until mid March-May to figure out if we get in :/

At the info session I attended last year they said they typically get between 500-600 applicants. I'm not sure how many apply to both campuses or just one though. They did say that more apply to the twin cities campus and its extremely rare to get into both the Rochester and Twin Cities campus and be able to pick between the two. Did you apply to both campuses? I also hate that we have to wait until mid March-May to figure out if we get in :/

I only applied to the Twin Cities campus. I don't like waiting until March either but I think it's more fair this way because they evaluate all the applications at the same time. I'm wishing I had put both campuses after hearing how competitive it is. Good luck to everyone!! *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back yet? I applied to both campuses and would really like to get in to either.
Would you mind posting your stats?
Overall GPA: 3.84, Prereq GPA: 3.86 , 90 hours of observation, work history in the medical field for the past 5 years (as a CNA, medical assistant, and office admin)
My GRE scores are what I think will bring me down :( Q: 151, V: 148, AW: 3.0

We will be hearing back mid march. They said it takes a while for them to get everything together and can take all the way through may to get the class full. I remember them saying they only give a short amount of time for people to respond yes or no and pay their deposit. Good luck!

Has anyone heard back yet? I applied to both campuses and would really like to get in to either.
Would you mind posting your stats?
Overall GPA: 3.84, Prereq GPA: 3.86 , 90 hours of observation, work history in the medical field for the past 5 years (as a CNA, medical assistant, and office admin)
My GRE scores are what I think will bring me down :( Q: 151, V: 148, AW: 3.0

I wouldn't worry about your GRE since they don't require it... they just recommend it. You seem well within their average GRE scores anyway. I think you're in good shape! :)

I applied for the up coming 2016 OT Program at the University of Minnesota and have not heard anything yet. I know it is early and they said it will not start until mid March. I have been looking at past year acceptances on other forums where the dates are all different. Has anyone heard from the University of Minnesota OT Program? When?

Members don't see this ad :)
From the previous posts it looks like the first round of acceptances go out the Friday before the U's spring break, so this year that would be two more weeks - March 11th.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone let me know if they received a reply from University of Minnesota OT Program this week? I sent my application early so I am wondering if I would get an early notice. Thanks!

based on previous years they send them at the same time (as I understand--its not rolling so they review all complete applicants at the same time after the deadline) and it usually is the Friday before spring break when they send the emails. So I'm guessing we will hear by next Friday

Reactions: 1 users
based on previous years they send them at the same time (as I understand--its not rolling so they review all complete applicants at the same time after the deadline) and it usually is the Friday before spring break when they send the emails. So I'm guessing we will hear by next Friday

Thanks so much for sharing :) Do you know if they also send out rejections/wait list then or only acceptances?

Thanks so much for sharing :) Do you know if they also send out rejections/wait list then or only acceptances?
I believe they send out the rejection/wait list emails at the same time as acceptance emails. Accepted students have a short time to respond so they said people can be accepted off the waitlist as late as May!

Does anyone know what the tuition is at U of Minnesota? for some reason I cant' find it on their site. I am really hoping to get in here so the waiting is killing me .

Here is the website for their tuition

http://onestop.umn.edu/finances/costs_and_tuition/index.html

It's only updated for 15-16 year so it might be a bit higher!
Wow.... this is pretty shocking. I got into Brenau University which is a private college and it's roughly $13,500 per semester for non-residents. U of M is $16,000 for a non resident and $11,000 for a resident! That is crazy for a public school. The only difference is that Minnesota is 5 semesters (74 credits I think) whereas Brenau is 94 credits which is 7 semesters.

I hope they let us know this Friday. I submitted mine pretty early too.

I hope they let us know this Friday. I submitted mine pretty early too.
Refreshing my e-mail a million times......
I wish I knew more about the hybrid program or knew a current student. I am not sure what I think about a 70% online program for a very hands-on career. What are your thoughts?

Did you get any more info about how the hybrid program works when you were at the info session? I looked on their website, and it looks like they only meet 7-10 times per semester face-to-face. Not sure what I think of that.

Did you get any more info about how the hybrid program works when you were at the info session? I looked on their website, and it looks like they only meet 7-10 times per semester face-to-face. Not sure what I think of that.
Wow, I applied there too but didn't know they only met that much. I was hoping we would meet several times a week

Minnesota has an online presentation uploaded on their website where they talk more about the set up of the hybrid program. I found it to be informative.. so maybe look into that.

Refreshing my e-mail a million times......
I wish I knew more about the hybrid program or knew a current student. I am not sure what I think about a 70% online program for a very hands-on career. What are your thoughts?
Last year they sent replies out at 5 PM CST. Don't worry that you haven't heard yet today until the end of the work day! In addition, the classes do meet quite a bit. The face to face sessions increase in number each semester as you get more into the program. On their website you can look at the face to face schedules from current semesters to see how often you really do meet. In addition, the professors are readily available to the students for additional meetings you may need or to answer student questions.

I remember UMN won't send out decision emails till March 15...?

I remember UMN won't send out decision emails till March 15...?
Last year emails went out March 13, the Friday before spring break. Today is the Friday before their spring break so expect if we don't hear today we won't hear until after they return.

Last year they sent replies out at 5 PM CST. Don't worry that you haven't heard yet today until the end of the work day! In addition, the classes do meet quite a bit. The face to face sessions increase in number each semester as you get more into the program. On their website you can look at the face to face schedules from current semesters to see how often you really do meet. In addition, the professors are readily available to the students for additional meetings you may need or to answer student questions.

Are you currently a student at UMN? I'm refreshing my e-mail since it's now 5pm CST... lol. I did receive an e-mail a while back saying that it could be mid-May before we hear back which is such a long time to wait...I'm glad to at least hear that you can reach out to professors and students if you need to.

Ahhh think we have to wait till next Friday???:(((

Yeah, I just got an acceptance email from University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee and they want to know by March 20th but I'm waiting to hear back from Minnesota. I'm nervous they won't tell me in time :bang:

Are you currently a student at UMN? I'm refreshing my e-mail since it's now 5pm CST... lol. I did receive an e-mail a while back saying that it could be mid-May before we hear back which is such a long time to wait...I'm glad to at least hear that you can reach out to professors and students if you need to.

I went through their application process last year and had multiple conversations and questions for the professors and staff where I got these questions answered that most of you have right now. So happy to spread the knowledge. I also know people who have or are going through their program right now.

Yeah, I just got an acceptance email from University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee and they want to know by March 20th but I'm waiting to hear back from Minnesota. I'm nervous they won't tell me in time :bang:
congrats, I'm still waiting to hear from them. Hopefully, they will send out all the emails this coming week

I think we probably won't hear back until next week :(

I just got my acceptance e-mail! I've been accepted to both campuses, so I can choose! Anyone else get one today? Now I have some decisions to make... still can't decide what I think about the hybrid program...

I just got my acceptance e-mail! I've been accepted to both campuses, so I can choose! Anyone else get one today? Now I have some decisions to make... still can't decide what I think about the hybrid program...
I've been refreshing my email all day today..... ;(
But hey, congrats

Hey I just got accepted today to both campuses, too! Congrats!

I just got my acceptance letter! I have no idea what campus to choose though!

I just got my acceptance letter! I have no idea what campus to choose though!

Congrats!!! I haven't heard anything from them yet. Didnt we have to choose one campus when we applied? Or did you apply to both campuses?

I was also accepted to both campuses, congrats!! I still can't decide between Saint Kate's or the U though! Anyone else weighing their options?