University of Missouri c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildchild210

Illinois c/o 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Voila... a specific thread to mizzou as requested :cool:

In lieu of the VMCAS app opening today I am literally bouncing off the walls.
I am applying to mizzou and Illinois (IS).

Any advice from c/o 2017 or other applicants with the jitters?

Members don't see this ad.

Voila... a specific thread to mizzou as requested :cool:

In lieu of the VMCAS app opening today I am literally bouncing off the walls.
I am applying to mizzou and Illinois (IS).

Any advice from c/o 2017 or other applicants with the jitters?

Yay!!!

Well, all I can say is that when I applied to Mizzou, all I knew was that I met the basic requirements. It's been quite a great experience so far! Also, I liked their supplemental application the best out of all the ones I did.

Yay!!!

Well, all I can say is that when I applied to Mizzou, all I knew was that I met the basic requirements. It's been quite a great experience so far! Also, I liked their supplemental application the best out of all the ones I did.

Their supp app is the only one I've worked on so far, but I like it too. I've already called with a question there and they were very helpful. Ahh I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!

:biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
WHOO Mizzou!

Anywho, I'm a 3rd year and you probably know the several 2nd years and incoming 1st years floating around. Feel free to ask any questions about the process, school, etc.!

Another Mizzou 2018 OOS hopeful here! Best of success, everyone :)

It's been forever since I've posted on here- just thought I'd re-introduce myself, now that I'm in a position to give some potentially more unique information about Mizzou vetmed. I'm a 4th year, so feel free to send questions, particularly about life in clinics and such, my way. Happy to answer PM's.

All I can is that my time at Mizzou has been the most wild/rewarding/challenging/amazing ride ever.

Reactions: 1 user
Omg this thread makes me so excited for you guys!!! Eeeek!!!! Yay future 18ers!!

Exciting! I've heard wonderful things about Mizzou!! Although I have yet to visit Columbia (I look forward to a visit...hopefully attached to an interview ;) I've heard nothing but positive things about the University of Missouri and it's unique 2+2 curriculum. Thanks to all the current Mizzou students for their positive vibes and upbeat support!

Exciting! I've heard wonderful things about Mizzou!! Although I have yet to visit Columbia (I look forward to a visit...hopefully attached to an interview ;) I've heard nothing but positive things about the University of Missouri and it's unique 2+2 curriculum. Thanks to all the current Mizzou students for their positive vibes and upbeat support!

Anytime!! Feel free to ask any questions about the app process! I will be a 1st year this fall so I cannot say much about the school itself- except that I'm so excited and can't wait to get started lol

Mizzou is one of my top choices :highfive: I haven't had a chance to visit yet either, but I have heard nothing but awesome things about the program, area and faculty so I'm also hoping to get my hiney out there for an interview :luck:

Hi,
Mizzou is one of the schools I plan on applying too. Not sure if its my top choice but we will see :) good luck to everyone!!!! Any upperclassmen that can give me advice would be great. I am interested in small animal practice.

Question: Is it true that Mizzou doesn't heavily weigh in GRE scores? If so, what do they deem important?

If anybody in particular is interested in lab animal medicine at Mizzou--I'll be applying to residencies in the fall, and have plenty of advice on how to break into the field!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Is it true that Mizzou doesn't heavily weigh in GRE scores? If so, what do they deem important?

http://cvm.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm

That link tells you the general breakdown of what they look at. GRE is only worth 4% of your "score". Cumulative GPA is worth 5x that, and the whole academic portion is 40%. The other 60% is about your activities, letters, etc.

Hi,
Mizzou is one of the schools I plan on applying too. Not sure if its my top choice but we will see :) good luck to everyone!!!! Any upperclassmen that can give me advice would be great. I am interested in small animal practice.

Hmm... general advice for applying: I had a process for writing essays where I would write one, let it sit for a week, and the next weekend go back and edit it with the help of my husband. Then I would write my next essay that same weekend and wait another week. It split it up enough that I wasn't overwhelmed, but I still got done with the essays in a set time frame. I know some people talk about using writing centers, so do that if there's one on your campus that you feel comfortable going to. My campus was 85% engineering majors so that wasn't happening lol.

I didn't know this until right before I started applying, but Mizzou likes diversity of experience over depth in one area, so if you are lacking large animal or something, now is the time to work on it if you can. I don't think having 300 hours in small, food, equine and "other" is necessary, but some is better than none. For us ISers, we were able to update experience hours at the time of the interview, so I'm guessing you are allowed to do that as an OOSer too, but someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Anyway, good luck! Don't hesitate to ask if you have specific questions. Kathy Seay is fabulous at answering questions too, so if you are more comfortable going straight to the school to ask something, go for it!

I didn't know this until right before I started applying, but Mizzou likes diversity of experience over depth in one area, so if you are lacking large animal or something, now is the time to work on it if you can. I don't think having 300 hours in small, food, equine and "other" is necessary, but some is better than none. For us ISers, we were able to update experience hours at the time of the interview, so I'm guessing you are allowed to do that as an OOSer too, but someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Anyway, good luck! Don't hesitate to ask if you have specific questions. Kathy Seay is fabulous at answering questions too, so if you are more comfortable going straight to the school to ask something, go for it!

We had nothing formal that I remember about updating hours, but I'm pretty sure one of the questions my interviewer asked me was about what I had been doing since submitting VMCAS. I'm sure part of the difference is OOS interviews being in early January and IS are sometime in March.

Also, repeating the call Kathy Seay suggestion. Every time I've called her or spoken to her, it's been such a pleasant experience.

We had nothing formal that I remember about updating hours, but I'm pretty sure one of the questions my interviewer asked me was about what I had been doing since submitting VMCAS. I'm sure part of the difference is OOS interviews being in early January and IS are sometime in March.

Yeah, sounds the same as what they asked me (and if you are like me and misunderstand the question until after your interview, if you email Kathy before they review your application and tally your score, she will mark updates for you lol).

If anybody in particular is interested in lab animal medicine at Mizzou--I'll be applying to residencies in the fall, and have plenty of advice on how to break into the field!

ME PLEASE! I am die-hard committed to lab animal medicine (I'm a non-traditional applicant, 34 years old). If you could please let me know what Mizzou has to offer in terms of practical experience in this area (selectives, etc.), as well as networking opportunities, this information would be greatly appreciated!

Did you take the Charles River short course? Where are you planning on applying for residencies this fall? Best of success! So glad to have found a lab animal person from Mizzou. Thanks for making yourself available!!

ME PLEASE! I am die-hard committed to lab animal medicine (I'm a non-traditional applicant, 34 years old). If you could please let me know what Mizzou has to offer in terms of practical experience in this area (selectives, etc.), as well as networking opportunities, this information would be greatly appreciated!

Did you take the Charles River short course? Where are you planning on applying for residencies this fall? Best of success! So glad to have found a lab animal person from Mizzou. Thanks for making yourself available!!

Just sent you a PM. I didn't want to bore the general crown with our lab animal nonsense:laugh: So if anyone else had an interest in the field, just let me know!

Just sent you a PM. I didn't want to bore the general crown with our lab animal nonsense:laugh: So if anyone else had an interest in the field, just let me know!

Thanks so much for all of the help! Amazing suggestions :)

hey DV, Will you share your experience on the thread? I know there are several lab animal vets to be cruising SDN that would love to see! ( Also its a good way to advertise Mizzou and all its offrings!! )

hey DV, Will you share your experience on the thread? I know there are several lab animal vets to be cruising SDN that would love to see! ( Also its a good way to advertise Mizzou and all its offrings!! )

No problem at all!

To start off, I'm more research oriented than clinical, so I tend to aim moreso for research-y experiences, but I've gotten great exposure to both aspects of LAM.

As far as opportunities to gain extra practical experience in LAM, I've had absolutely no trouble at all at Mizzou. The office of animal resources (OAR) at the University is extremely receptive to interested students (OAR is basically the university sector in charge of veterinary care of the research animals, reviewing research protocols, etc). Last summer, I was involved with our summer research program, but had some spare time. They let me sit in on clinical case discussions, protocol reviews, and really anything I wanted to.

For my first block of clinical rotations, I did a 6 week lab animal elective. That basically entailed helping the lab animal clinicians with their daily health monitoring and such (we have everything from mice to african green monkeys here), doing necropsies, experimental surgeries (helped with thymectomies on mouse pups!), attending rodent path rounds, clinical rounds all in addition to working on a research project. I'll also be completing similar off-campus preceptorships during my free clinical blocks at Colorado State and University of Arizona.

NETWORKING!!!! Obviously super important. The director of Mizzou's lab animal/comparative medicine residency is awesome!! Feel free to look him up (Craig Franklin). I went to the National AALAS meeting with him last year, and he was great about introducing me to some of the other lab animal folk. He's exceptionally personable, and will go out of his way to help anybody who's interested in the field. I would highly encourage anybody that's interested in getting some experience in the field to get in touch with him. He also runs the the veterinary research scholars program (VRSP), which is our summer research program. Even if you don't intend to pursue research, it's a great way to get some diverse experience, and meet tons of people in lab animal in addition to other fields across the board. Lots of students do it because it gives you the required income to gain in-state residency.

Since I'm particularly interested in research (immunology/animal modeling), I'm looking into programs that have a heavy research emphasis, and have a dual PhD/lab animal residency. It's looking more and more like I'll be staying at Missouri for the PhD/LAM, but I'm also considering Colorado State, MIT and Stanford. Honestly, I still have quite a bit of work to do in deciding where exactly I want to apply beyond Mizzou (It's getting to that crazy time for us 4th years, where we need to think about state licensing, NAVLE, internships/residencies, clinical rotations all at once!! :eek:)

Another opportunity to mention is the nearby diagnostic laboratory, RADIL. When I started at Mizzou, it was entirely a university entity, but is now privatized. However, they still lease out some of the building space to UM. I was actually introduced to the field during my first two years as a tech in the cryo lab. I think quite a few students interested in the field become involved at RADIL in some capacity, and it's certainly a great way to get some exposure during your first two years of vet school.

That's all I've got for now, but feel free to ask any specific questions you all might have.

--DVP

Awesome insight DVP!!! Thank you for sharing!!

I am starting to think more about applying to Mizzuo now. Add another one onto my list :p

I signed up for the Supplemental, does anyone know if we really need the stuff about High School Class size and Rank? Or is this a carry over from their Undergrad application? I really don't remember that information... that was like 12 years ago.

I am starting to think more about applying to Mizzuo now. Add another one onto my list :p

I signed up for the Supplemental, does anyone know if we really need the stuff about High School Class size and Rank? Or is this a carry over from their Undergrad application? I really don't remember that information... that was like 12 years ago.

:thumbup:

I'm in the same boat (graduated the same year as the original "90210" crew...you do the math). I just spoke to Kathy Seay and she said just to enter "0". Hope that helps! :)

I just guesstimated on my class rank and class size.. I couldn't find that info anywhere in all my paperwork from high school... It's definitely not a deal breaker lol

:thumbup:

I'm in the same boat (graduated the same year as the original "90210" crew...you do the math). I just spoke to Kathy Seay and she said just to enter "0". Hope that helps! :)

Yes, it does. Thanks Chitty :)

Welcome! She said they'll understand that the zeros don't mean you ranked zero ;) I did have to put a class # though, which I guesstimated from memory.

I am old too and did the enter as 0 thing and got in :D. I did put class size though- I found a graduation roster and counted haha.

I'm confused... so last year there were essays on the supp app? This year either there are no more essays or I'm blind....:confused:

I didn't see any either and was wondering about that 'cause I've seen people mention them in the past. Glad it's not just me! :p

Oh man, y'all are lucky lol

The essays weren't hard... Just one extra step in the process.. One less thing to worry about for y'all hahaha

Oh man, y'all are lucky lol

The essays weren't hard... Just one extra step in the process.. One less thing to worry about for y'all hahaha

I think I spend like... 15 hours or so working on those stupid essays (for all my applications... 6 schools total). Lol, not hard, just takes a while!

Haha :) But some of the other supps I have to do have essay questions that make me go, "Hmmm... :confused:" lol I swear, I printed them out and periodically stare at them. And ponder. And scratch my head.

My other supplementals (Washington State, NCSU, and Wisconsin) aren't even available to view yet. Washington State's opens on June 19th, NCSU's in July, and Wisconsin's does not become available to applicants until November. The wait is killing me!

I knew they had been cutting back on the number of essays, but I didn't realize they would cut them completely. I guess it makes sense now that they are requiring ISers to submit VMCAS for the first time ever.

Well, just found out that I can't apply to Mizzou :( :( :( I received my official transcripts yesterday and my GPA from an undergrad institution about 18 years ago completely screwed me over cumulatively. Ugh. My unofficial was inaccurate. I guess your past never really gets away from you, huh? I have a strong explanation (was the victim of a violent crime my freshman year), but after speaking with Ms. Seay it's a no-go. She was really nice about it, but I'm bummed. Waaaaahhhhhh :(

Sorry, ChittyBang. That's very sad news. I'm also saddened to hear that you were the victim of a violent crime. Keep your chin up! One of the nation's vet schools will be fortunate to have you as a student :)

Thanks...chin is def up! Most of my other schools don't have a minimum GPA requirement so I'm still hopeful :thumbup: It's just so sucky to have such a painful experience follow you around almost 20 years later. Sucky. But it's ok. I guess it just wasn't meant to be...

Good luck to all of you! Get in for me! ;)

That is a major bummer Chittybang!! I'm very sorry to hear of your incident, but I'm happy that you have overcome it and are striving toward your career goals! Kathy Seay is awesome over at the school, it's a true testament to the schools character to be up front with you about this instead of them letting you apply knowing ahead of time that it wouldn't work in your favor.

Looks like Mizzou has published the stats for the class of 2017 on the website!!!

http://vetmed.missouri.edu/characteristics.htm

I spent tooo much time looking at the 2016 stats while I was applying lol but what the heck, might as well share this with you guys!!

I clicked on the supplemental application link for Missouri and it takes me to a page that says for 2013 applicants that everything will be done through VMCAS:confused: I couldn't find a link to the actual supplemental application. Can anyone help with this? Thank you! :love:

I've started to go through some orientation stuff about schedules, dress code, etc. I wish I could share these videos with everyone on here! They are very informative. Just because Mizzou is very different with instructional periods instead of semesters, and that we go an extra IP in June, and a slightly shorter winter break.