University of Missouri c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would say it would be easiest to just think of yourself on the wait list, but that your relatively high on the wait list... I guess... Bc it's not a clear cut acceptance but your closer to an acceptance than most other people if that makes sense?

Members don't see this ad.

It says "Your application will remain on hold until April 15th. At that time we will extend additional offers to fill the remaining seats and establish the pool of alternate candidates. We anticipate there will be ten to fifteen unfilled seats. You are one of twenty five applicants who will either be offered an available seat or placed in the pool of alternate candidates."

My interpretation is that I am on the waitlist now, but my roommates think the "pool of alternate candidates" is the waitlist. Thoughts?

Well... my interpretation is that you are on the waitlist(or like a pre-waitlist I suppose) now to be accepted, and then if you are in that top 10-15 you will be accepted close to April 15th, but if you are in the bottom 10 then you will be placed (or remain) on the waitlist and see if anyone from the top 10-15 or the accepted class goes to another school so they can draw from the remaining 10 or so... Does that make any sense? I could be completely off, though, I'm just going off of how I would take it (which is still really confusing to figure out).

Yeah, I suppose so. Anyway. Pretty bummed but I guess it's not a "no"

Members don't see this ad :)

There's still hope! I heard of a few people getting off of the IS waiting list, and I believe a few people on here did as well (DVMDreamer comes to mind). Did you apply anywhere else?

Nope. I don't want to go anywhere else, and I couldn't afford it even if I did. I have an awesome job here though and my partner isn't done with school for another year, so it isn't the end of the world if I don't get in this year.

congrats on all the new acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats everyone!!!:highfive::soexcited::clap:

Reactions: 1 user

That doesn't sound like a "no" to me. It sounds like a "you sound awesome but we don't want to over-fill our class". They are probably just waiting for a few more OOS to decline their offers.

That doesn't sound like a "no" to me. It sounds like a "you sound awesome but we don't want to over-fill our class". They are probably just waiting for a few more OOS to decline their offers.
I'm pretty sure there are different wait lists for IS and OOS.

I'm pretty sure there are different wait lists for IS and OOS.

Yes there is. However, I've heard from a few professors and admins that some schools that overaccept OOS (I know Mizzou does a little), will hold back a few of their IS spots just in case the OOS people overaccept. For instance, if Mizzou has 120 spots, 60 for IS and 60 for OOS, they might give offers to 100 OOS, but only 50 IS. After April 15th, when a bunch of OOS decline, they then call the last 10 people in the IS waiting list, and dip into the OOS waitlist and the rest of the IS waitlist if it comes to that.

Wow, that sounds really really confusing.... but I think some school do that? Maybe?

Also, LyraGardenia, any good news today??

Yes there is. However, I've heard from a few professors and admins that some schools that overaccept OOS (I know Mizzou does a little), will hold back a few of their IS spots just in case the OOS people overaccept. For instance, if Mizzou has 120 spots, 60 for IS and 60 for OOS, they might give offers to 100 OOS, but only 50 IS. After April 15th, when a bunch of OOS decline, they then call the last 10 people in the IS waiting list, and dip into the OOS waitlist and the rest of the IS waitlist if it comes to that.

Wow, that sounds really really confusing.... but I think some school do that? Maybe?

Also, LyraGardenia, any good news today??

Yeah...admissions at a lot of places (not just vet school) do this. Hence why I said I don't think it is a waitlist. Just a--we need to be careful about making our class too big sort of thing. Most of the offer declines will come right before the April 15th deadline, so I think that is why you are in a sort of holding pattern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that actually makes me feel a little better. Thanks for clearing that up. The wording there was confusing.

Wrong thread.

Also, whoo! Congrats!

Last edited:
I only mention my predicament because it'll effect how much I can post since I'm restricted to posting on my phone while on the cell network instead of wireless...can't run up my data. :( Hopefully I can resolve it when my roomie gets home this evening.

Whoops. Wrong Thread? :p

Lol. Yes! Dang it! I'm no good at mobile SDNing.

In other news, I have a place in COMO either way... if someone wants to roommate up. PM me if interested.

Hey guys congrats to those who received acceptances in the mail!! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall! We'd love to have you come out for open house in a few weeks ;)
As for this potential/maybe waitlist... I really have no idea... just that I will have my fingers crossed for you. If Kathy is not in this week, maybe you can call her starting next week when spring break is over and get it cleared up/sorted out. We definitely do have separate IS/OOS waiting lists and I know they did continue to call some people off the OOS waitlist into June last year... as for what happened with IS I cannot really say.

Really? Did you have another address listed on your supplemental perhaps? Or at the post office if your mailbox is too small?
The only other address it could be at is my parents', and they would have told me if anything had come. My letter with my interview invite came to my apartment no problem. I am curious if it might just be at the post office if it's the big envelope, since I haven't been home much the past couple days to get it from the mail carrier, but there wasn't a note left on my door or anything, and I don't know how to go about checking. :/

The only other address it could be at is my parents', and they would have told me if anything had come. My letter with my interview invite came to my apartment no problem. I am curious if it might just be at the post office if it's the big envelope, since I haven't been home much the past couple days to get it from the mail carrier, but there wasn't a note left on my door or anything, and I don't know how to go about checking. :/

Perhaps calling local post offices (if you have more than one) and see if they would know?

If a few more days pass and you don't receive anything, I would consider calling Kathy at the admissions office. She's super super nice, and could potentially help if it was a mess up on their part.

Perhaps calling local post offices (if you have more than one) and see if they would know?

If a few more days pass and you don't receive anything, I would consider calling Kathy at the admissions office. She's super super nice, and could potentially help if it was a mess up on their part.
It's too late in the day to call the post office now, but I might try in the morning and see if I can find out anything. If I still don't get anything by the end of the week, I'll definitely contact Kathy. :) I think I'm just being impatient!

Yeah...admissions at a lot of places (not just vet school) do this. Hence why I said I don't think it is a waitlist. Just a--we need to be careful about making our class too big sort of thing. Most of the offer declines will come right before the April 15th deadline, so I think that is why you are in a sort of holding pattern.
I am really sorry for the confusing wording - we actually worked really hard to make it clear (at least to us). You guys are correct in most of your speculation. We have to wait to see how many OOS people reject us and how many declare as in state students (active military etc). Those last 10 or so IS seats will be filled right around april 15 when we know our numbers better. We need to prevent overfilling the class. Then the wait list will be the remaining 10-15 people. Usually about 2-3 will come off that list over the summer as people change their mind or get a deferal. SO any of your OOS people who know you are not coming to MU, please let us know for the sake of other people waiting to here.

For those of you on the OOS wait list, that will start to be filled after april 15 if we do not have our 60 OOS seats full at that time.

I am really sorry for the confusing wording - we actually worked really hard to make it clear (at least to us). You guys are correct in most of your speculation. We have to wait to see how many OOS people reject us and how many declare as in state students (active military etc). Those last 10 or so IS seats will be filled right around april 15 when we know our numbers better. We need to prevent overfilling the class. Then the wait list will be the remaining 10-15 people. Usually about 2-3 will come off that list over the summer as people change their mind or get a deferal. SO any of your OOS people who know you are not coming to MU, please let us know for the sake of other people waiting to here.

For those of you on the OOS wait list, that will start to be filled after april 15 if we do not have our 60 OOS seats full at that time.

That is awesome. Thanks for clearing that up. I was pretty bummed out, but this info makes me feel a little bit better.

Also- Don't be sorry. I just didn't want to over-analyze it and be incorrect in my assumptions. :)

That's rough. Did you call?
I'm going to give it a few more days before I try calling Kathy just in case the mail is just slow, and like Rainheart said they're on spring break this week, so she might not even be in. From reading previous threads (and earlier on this one), sometimes other people didn't get their letters until days after everyone else, for no discernible reason.

I tried calling the post office, but just kept getting a busy signal. :/

I wou
I'm going to give it a few more days before I try calling Kathy just in case the mail is just slow, and like Rainheart said they're on spring break this week, so she might not even be in. From reading previous threads (and earlier on this one), sometimes other people didn't get their letters until days after everyone else, for no discernible reason.

I tried calling the post office, but just kept getting a busy signal. :/

You should go ahead and email Kathy. I emailed her on Monday with a question and she responded ten minutes later with an answer so she is definitely in this week

I wou

You should go ahead and email Kathy. I emailed her on Monday with a question and she responded ten minutes later with an answer so she is definitely in this week
Okay great, thanks!

Sure enough, she responded within about 10 minutes! She said if I don't get it by Monday she'll resend it, but that it might just take a few more days. But she said all the letters were sent at one time, so that's reassuring that rejections weren't in a different batch or anything!

Sure enough, she responded within about 10 minutes! She said if I don't get it by Monday she'll resend it, but that it might just take a few more days. But she said all the letters were sent at one time, so that's reassuring that rejections weren't in a different batch or anything!

That's great LyraG! Hopefully it will arrive at your apartment soon! :luck:

If it doesn't come tomorrow, do you know where your local post office is at? You might be able to stop by and see if they know anything, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Still nothing today... sigh. I went by the post office and they didn't have anything for me there. I'm trying to be patient!

Still nothing today... sigh. I went by the post office and they didn't have anything for me there. I'm trying to be patient!
Hoping you get good news very soon!!! :)

Still no letter, but I emailed Kathy this morning asking her to send it again and confirming my address. And I just got a fortune cookie that says "a cheerful letter or message is on its way to you." Could it be???

Reactions: 3 users
Still no letter, but I emailed Kathy this morning asking her to send it again and confirming my address. And I just got a fortune cookie that says "a cheerful letter or message is on its way to you." Could it be???
STILL no letter? Man, that stinks LyraG :(. Are you sure the post office or your apartment complex wouldn't know where it is?

Let us know what happens, I'm hoping you get good news very very soon! :xf:

STILL no letter? Man, that stinks LyraG :(. Are you sure the post office or your apartment complex wouldn't know where it is?

Let us know what happens, I'm hoping you get good news very very soon! :xf:
I've been by the post office and my apartment office and neither of them had anything for me. :( It must have gotten lost or misdelivered somehow. Of all the things for the mail to lose!

I've been by the post office and my apartment office and neither of them had anything for me. :( It must have gotten lost or misdelivered somehow. Of all the things for the mail to lose!

Wow that's crazy. You'll handling it a lot better than me, I would have gone to Mizzou and asked for my letter right then and there if I waited that long lol.

Did she say how long it would take to resend it?

Wow that's crazy. You'll handling it a lot better than me, I would have gone to Mizzou and asked for my letter right then and there if I waited that long lol.

Did she say how long it would take to resend it?
She said she would send it out today, so hopefully I'll get it within the next couple days! It is pretty frustrating and nerve-wracking!

booking my flight and hotel for open house next weekend to show my mom the school and setting up appointments to see potential houses/ apartments eep!! :happy:

Well, I still never got my letter (the second one might still be on its way), but the first one got returned to Mizzou, so Kathy let me know via email that it's a no for this year. :( I'm a little bummed, but not surprised. My application could be a LOT stronger, but like I said upthread, I've got a job at a vet clinic right now, so I have the year to work and get more experience. Also I went into the application process the first time having no idea what I was doing, but the second time around it won't be nearly as intimidating. Plus this time last year I hadn't discovered SDN yet. ;)

Sorry for the downer post, but congrats again to all those accepted, good luck to those on the waitlist, and I hope to be joining all of you next year!

Well, I still never got my letter (the second one might still be on its way), but the first one got returned to Mizzou, so Kathy let me know via email that it's a no for this year. :( I'm a little bummed, but not surprised. My application could be a LOT stronger, but like I said upthread, I've got a job at a vet clinic right now, so I have the year to work and get more experience. Also I went into the application process the first time having no idea what I was doing, but the second time around it won't be nearly as intimidating. Plus this time last year I hadn't discovered SDN yet. ;)

Sorry for the downer post, but congrats again to all those accepted, good luck to those on the waitlist, and I hope to be joining all of you next year!

I'm very sorry for your bad news :( I would do a file review if they do it for IS people. Your knocking on the door of an acceptance if you got an interview!!! Just get some good experience, diversify if you need too and take a close look at your essays/ personal statement. Then practice for the interview. You know what to expect now so that should take away a lot of the nerves ( if you had any). Best of luck for the next cycle!!!

Last edited:
Aw, I'm sorry LyraG :(.

Keep your head up though. With this coming up year you will be able to get tons of experience and you'll be able to knock the application out of the park. I would also use a file review like kpow said if they offer them, they usually give out great advice on what needs improvement.

We will all be rooting for you next year! :)

Such a bummer :( But hey, keep it up and improve your app for next year and you'll have a great chance! And as KP said file reviews are great!

Does anyone know when we get information regarding class schedules, orientation, etc? I thought it would be emailed to us after receiving a deposit?

I haven't received anything (but then again I JUST sent in my deposit...). I heard (whether this is true I have no idea), that we won't really hear anything at all until summer. I know we will be getting financial aid stuff around June, but I'm not sure if we get a packet of information in April/May or not. :shrug: Kpow or Rainheart might be able to answer that question better.

You guys probably won't hear much until summer, honestly. Don't fret, though, there is plenty of time and always feel free to PM us here or facebook (or if we aren't already friends on facebook let me know!)

anyone else here visiting mizzou next weekend?