University of Missouri c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it was :ninja:.

Haha, it's actually kinda silly, but I somewhat glanced through the FB group and was like "Oh, I wonder if this is ___ from SDN." Maybe I am weird? :oops:
Nope I have been doing the same! I am the one that commented on kitty's post so you should add me :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone so excited to be a part of the class of 2018!! And I'm anxiously awaiting getting info about our schedules/orientation. I've looked at the block schedules on the website but was wondering if any students can tell me when Mizzou has breaks roughly?? Trying to figure out if I will be able to work enough times on breaks at my current job to keep it! Thanks

Hey everyone so excited to be a part of the class of 2018!! And I'm anxiously awaiting getting info about our schedules/orientation. I've looked at the block schedules on the website but was wondering if any students can tell me when Mizzou has breaks roughly?? Trying to figure out if I will be able to work enough times on breaks at my current job to keep it! Thanks

There are Thanksgiving break, winter break, and then spring break in late March during first and second year.

Summer break (after 1st and 2nd year) isn't until late June/early July and lasts 6-7 weeks depending on the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)

We have a normal Thanksgiving break for a week. Christmas break is for 3 weeks or so. We started back right after New Years this year (thought that might have been a bit unusual with just how the days fell). Spring break this year was the last week of March (started on March 21st) and we get a week for that. Should be the same next year. And our summer, as you know, is 6 weeks long. This year our last day of class/finals is June 27th. Hope that helps some!

My last post kinda got buried on the last page, so I'm going to be that annoying kid who posts again because I'm panicking a little. Does anyone know if IS students get phone calls or snail mail packets?

My last post kinda got buried on the last page, so I'm going to be that annoying kid who posts again because I'm panicking a little. Does anyone know if IS students get phone calls or snail mail packets?

Like I mentioned in the other thread, IS unfortunately are told by snail mail (unless they changed it for this year)... but stay strong for just a few more days, hopefully your wait will be over with soon!

I literally don't know anything about how IS students are notified, otherwise I would let you know :/ All my friends are OOS, so they all got phone calls from the wait-list.

Okay- I can verify for sure- that last year one of my IS friends did not get a heads up letter getting off the waitlist. It was a few days after the deadline that she got a letter in the mail. Hang tight and hopefully you'll hear some good news soon. And remember, you can get off the waitlist any time between now and when school starts!

Last edited:
Ok thanks for checking. That's good news. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything.

I'm mostly freaking out because I have to sell my house and stuff if I get in, and there's no good way to plan when you're on the wait list.

Last edited:
So who is everyone on the facebook group?? Dying to put studentdoctor names with faces :D

Reactions: 1 users
I'm Rachael Quagliozzi!

Hello everybody, I got pulled off the wait list and will joining the class of 2018 this fall. I've started looking at place to live and I have a question, do we need to be within a certain distance or certain amount a time to the school? I know at tufts they require you to be within a 15 minute drive for when you're on call, so I didn't know if missouri had anything like that. I'm looking to be within about 15 minutes anyway but I've found some places a little farther that I was interested in. Also I've heard people say the north side of town might not be so good, by north side do you guys mean north of I70?

Also I have looking for a house at least 1 bedroom and a garage and at least a small yard. I'm looking to rent but possibly buy so if anyway has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
I'm Rachael Quagliozzi!
Ill add you! :)
Hello everybody, I got pulled off the wait list and will joining the class of 2018 this fall. I've started looking at place to live and I have a question, do we need to be within a certain distance or certain amount a time to the school? I know at tufts they require you to be within a 15 minute drive for when you're on call, so I didn't know if missouri had anything like that. I'm looking to be within about 15 minutes anyway but I've found some places a little farther that I was interested in. Also I've heard people say the north side of town might not be so good, by north side do you guys mean north of I70?

Also I have looking for a house at least 1 bedroom and a garage and at least a small yard. I'm looking to rent but possibly buy so if anyway has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks
Just wanted to say congrats on getting off the waitlist!! Don't have many suggestions on housing, as that is what I am in the process of doing, but I have heard about the Jacobs Properties that have kind of what your looking for. Good luck in the search :) Also there is a facebook group if you use facebook, its "MU CVM Class of 2018". :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For clinics, yes, you do need to be (at the most, I think) 15 minutes away- so if you do live farther out than that, you might have to move closer before you start clinics. Congrats on getting off the waitlist!

Congrats! Echoing the 15 min thing for clinics when you are on call, however, I have classmates who live further out and make arrangements for when they are on call.

The north side of town isn't any worse than anywhere else in town. I live in a family oriented neighborhood north of 70 and I love it.

I haven't been on in ages and ages, but I wanted to stop by and congratulate all the incoming first years!

Reactions: 3 users
I just got a packet in the mail, I'll be a tiger this fall!

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations! :highfive:

I'm glad the wait was worth it, and I can't wait to see everyone in the fall! :D

If anybody is on the facebook page and wants to add me, my name is Wendy and you should recognize the pic. I need a roommate too if anyone is interested!

I'm Donna. I'm going to be in Columbia this weekend if anyone will be around!

If anyone has not found me yet, I've got a golden with me in my profile picture (with some ribbons!) Still trying to put all your names/faces to your SDN names :p Might take me a while

If anyone has not found me yet, I've got a golden with me in my profile picture (with some ribbons!) Still trying to put all your names/faces to your SDN names :p Might take me a while
I am going have to have to get with you this fall, I have a mini aussie pup with a TON of energy and want to get her into agility! :D

I am going have to have to get with you this fall, I have a mini aussie pup with a TON of energy and want to get her into agility! :D

Beamer and I JUST started agility classes last week here (we took an intro class over a year ago at home, but that's been it). Having a blast already with it. We have a great training facility, you should check it out! Columbia Canine Sports Center :) We've mostly done Rally Obedience and some just normal Obedience for competition and also he is a therapy dog through the PALS club here. I am (hoping.. fingers crossed) to be president of next year! I'd have loved to sign him up for classes sooner for Agility, I just didn't have the time really until now. Anything with dog sports/show I can probably lead you in the right direction ;)

Just wanna say that I've been following this thread throughout the application cycle and because of all y'all being so supportive to each other and all of the amazing things I hear about mizzou, I've decided to add it in my list of schools to apply to, which is only at 3 right now. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Y'all feel free to add me too, I'm wearing a wedding dress! I posted not too long ago inviting everyone to open house!

Just wanna say that I've been following this thread throughout the application cycle and because of all y'all being so supportive to each other and all of the amazing things I hear about mizzou, I've decided to add it in my list of schools to apply to, which is only at 3 right now. :)
Swings, that is AWESOME NEWS!!!!

You seriously won't be disappointed! Ahhhh so exciting!!! Are you applying for the 2019 class?!?

Swings, that is AWESOME NEWS!!!!

You seriously won't be disappointed! Ahhhh so exciting!!! Are you applying for the 2019 class?!?
Haha thanks KP! I'm actually taking an extra year in undergrad so 2020 would be the earliest I would apply. But probably looking more at 2021 (which is ok with me since 21 is my favorite number anyway :D )
The 2+2 looks extremely appealing and I'm a much stronger hands on learner so I think more time in clinics would be super beneficial for me.

Haha thanks KP! I'm actually taking an extra year in undergrad so 2020 would be the earliest I would apply. But probably looking more at 2021 (which is ok with me since 21 is my favorite number anyway :D )
The 2+2 looks extremely appealing and I'm a much stronger hands on learner so I think more time in clinics would be super beneficial for me.
That is the exact thing that drew me in to Mizzou. We have had several speakers come do lunch n learns or dinner meetings that have mentioned that you can really tell the difference in a grad with 1 yr in clinics vs the Miz grads with the extra clinical time. The biggest advantage IMO is all of the time we get to go out and do preceptorships. I can't wait to start lining up some awesome preceptorships!!!

If you ever want to come out and see the school/ COMO you are welcome to crash at me and @Rainheart 's house. We are both ambassadors so we love interacting with prospective students and can give you a tour of the school & hospital!

That is the exact thing that drew me in to Mizzou. We have had several speakers come do lunch n learns or dinner meetings that have mentioned that you can really tell the difference in a grad with 1 yr in clinics vs the Miz grads with the extra clinical time. The biggest advantage IMO is all of the time we get to go out and do preceptorships. I can't wait to start lining up some awesome preceptorships!!!

If you ever want to come out and see the school/ COMO you are welcome to crash at me and @Rainheart 's house. We are both ambassadors so we love interacting with prospective students and can give you a tour of the school & hospital!
See this is what I'm talking about
Y'all are so awesome and nice! Haha I will definitely think about that and probably end up taking you up on that offer as my time to apply draws near! Thank you so much! :)

WOOOO!!!!

Glad to hear of more people applying! I literally had never heard of Mizzou before I applied, nor did I know anything about it before I flew out for my interview, but I fell in love when I was out here. It is a great place; I was very surprised by the midwest (that being my first visit). Really, though! Let us know and we'd love to have more people stay with us! We really enjoyed it when we had an interviewee stay with us @farmgirl1992 :) It was a ton of fun! We hope to have more stay with us for the next year!

Beamer and I JUST started agility classes last week here (we took an intro class over a year ago at home, but that's been it). Having a blast already with it. We have a great training facility, you should check it out! Columbia Canine Sports Center :) We've mostly done Rally Obedience and some just normal Obedience for competition and also he is a therapy dog through the PALS club here. I am (hoping.. fingers crossed) to be president of next year! I'd have loved to sign him up for classes sooner for Agility, I just didn't have the time really until now. Anything with dog sports/show I can probably lead you in the right direction ;)
Sounds awesome!! I Think she could excel at agility, but she seems to be an airhead most of the time LOL. I think she just needs her energy focused on a job. Can't wait! Thanks Rainheart :D

That's awesome! My pup has been through several obedience classes and we have done a fair bit of agility. We take my dog to the nursing home pretty regularly so I'm definitely wanting to get involved with PALs when I get there. I'll try to find you on facebook!

Yeah you guys should totally join PALS -hint hint-. I'd love to talk more dog competition/class stuff. It is a passion of mine I picked up a few years ago and I've been hooked ever since.

Yeah you guys should totally join PALS -hint hint-. I'd love to talk more dog competition/class stuff. It is a passion of mine I picked up a few years ago and I've been hooked ever since.

I definitely plan to. I have a husky so he needs TONS of entertainment. I will need to find activities for his sanity in addition to mine. :)

Rainheart, you may have to teach my dog some manners. :) And if anyone hasn't added me yet, my first name is Magan.

Rainheart, you may have to teach my dog some manners. :) And if anyone hasn't added me yet, my first name is Magan.

I'd love to help, or at least point you in the right direction!

when is everyone planning on moving to Columbia? im thinking of moving super early, like mid-late June-ish

when is everyone planning on moving to Columbia? im thinking of moving super early, like mid-late June-ish
I was thinking late July or early August. I want to keep working and saving money as long as possible.

I moved out about 2 weeks before classes started. That seemed like a pretty good amount of time. It let me have time to settle in without getting to bored which was nice. We start much later this year though so I'm very excited!

I'm moving my stuff mid-July, but I will be coming back to Springfield because I'll still be teaching summer classes. I'll be there for good at the beginning of August.

I moved out about 2 weeks before classes started. That seemed like a pretty good amount of time. It let me have time to settle in without getting to bored which was nice. We start much later this year though so I'm very excited!

Whaaaat? really? I need to check the schedule...

I'll probably move out there about 2 weeks before I'm guessing :happy:

I'm definitely interested! Sounds like a fun and active group! :thumbup: