University of Missouri CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted676737

Since VMCAS officially opens up tomorrow, and I've seen quite a few other hopeful future tigers here, I'd thought that I'd go ahead and take the initiative to get this thread rolling!

I'm IS for Mizzou and it is my top choice (for the price tag as well as a few other reasons)! I'm hoping to be able to meet some of you in Columbia soon. :luck::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Always thrills me to see this pop up every year, now :) Good luck to all those applying to Mizzou this year :D

Reactions: 1 users
AHHHH, how is this even possible? When this class arrives we will be 4th years @Rainheart !!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
AHHHH, how is this even possible? When this class arrives we will be 4th years @Rainheart !!!!
Hold on, that means I'll be a third year?!?! :eek:

Anyways, I'm super excited for this thread, and if you guys have any questions, shoot them our way, we would be more than willing to answer them for you! :D

Hold on, that means I'll be a third year?!?! :eek:

Anyways, I'm super excited for this thread, and if you guys have any questions, shoot them our way, we would be more than willing to answer them for you! :D

I'm still having trouble comprehending the fact we're now 2nd years. But yes, ask us ANYTHING! Apparently we're veterans now.

I'm IS as well, applying for the third time this year! Interviewed and rejected the past two years. :( I have my file review on Monday, so we'll see how that goes.

@LyraGardenia good luck! Let me know if you want to get together Monday ^^ Always keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I'm actually doing it by phone, but thanks!
Gotcha. Sometimes I forget schools do file reviews over the phone since I attended a school with a veterinary school on campus for undergrad. It was so easy to just pop over and chat with admissions.

I think I'm applying too. Anyone know what the supplement looks like ? Lots of extra essays, or no?

I think I'm applying too. Anyone know what the supplement looks like ? Lots of extra essays, or no?

It's been 2 years now but I don't remember it having essays...but I think last year's may have had an 1 or 2. But compared to other schools' supplemental apps, this one isn't terrible. The weirdest thing I remember is having to list my high school class rank and SAT score which I couldn't remember for the life of me.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been 2 years now but I don't remember it having essays...but I think last year's may have had 1 or 2. But compared to other schools' supplemental apps, this one isn't terrible. The weirdest thing I remember is having to list my high school class rank and SAT score which I couldn't remember for the life of me.

Ok, thanks, hopefully it overlaps with other ones I'm writing at least.

Also, good to know... I did much better on the ACT than the SAT in high school, so hopefully I get the option to put that. But my high school didn't even rank....

Does anyone know how much of an emphasis Mizzou puts on large animal experience? I have very little, but a substantial amt of small animal and lab animal experience. Could this make up for it?

Does anyone know how much of an emphasis Mizzou puts on large animal experience? I have very little, but a substantial amt of small animal and lab animal experience. Could this make up for it?

This is a hard question to answer, and I think you will get a range of responses... What I can say is of my experience when I applied (several years ago). I had tons and tons of small animal experience and only had like 20 hours at a horse barn (not with a vet) and some research experience for a senior project but nothing too substantial... But I have seen people post on SDN that had file reviews (pretty sure they only do reviews for IS applicants) and had gotten feed back that they needed more diversity in experiences... So Who knows!!! Sorry that isnt more helpful, but just remember that you still have time this summer before you submit the app to gain more experiences!

Here is the Official website detailing how Mizzou evaluates applicants...

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm

Any input is appreciated! I have like 4 hours of equine experience, but that is really it, but around 3000 of S.A so I was hoping that would help. Thanks again:)

I had zero equine experience, some large animal experience from undergrad (animal science degree) and about 8 hours large animal veterinary experience? Maybe 6 hours wildlife experience? I had probably 2000+ hours SA (working in a clinic for 6 years- hard to estimate). Many people in our class don't have large animal or equine experience. Just don't go in saying you want to be an equine vet with only 10 hours of experience in that field, and I think you'll be alright :) Of course, the more diverse you can be, the better! But I know the struggle of trying to find experience in that field, and also if you know you absolutely don't want to do it... (never say never, but I'm definitely never touching a horse for veterinary purposes after my equine rotation/vet school ever again)

Reactions: 1 user
I had about 5 hours LA experience listed on my app, and while it didn't keep me from being admitted, it definitely did come up in the interview. ("Tell us why you don't have much LA experience.") So be ready to explain/defend your hours. I basically spun it as: I don't have a lot of hours, but the case that I observed was a very important one that really challenged my perspective on veterinary medicine; then I described the case in question. Try to compensate for your lack of quantity by emphasizing that it was quality experience that taught you a lot.

I had about 5 hours LA experience listed on my app, and while it didn't keep me from being admitted, it definitely did come up in the interview. ("Tell us why you don't have much LA experience.") So be ready to explain/defend your hours. I basically spun it as: I don't have a lot of hours, but the case that I observed was a very important one that really challenged my perspective on veterinary medicine; then I described the case in question. Try to compensate for your lack of quantity by emphasizing that it was quality experience that taught you a lot.

What if it wasn't quality experience though? I live in dead center Boston with no car, and that I wish I had had more opportunities, but it was impossible to find... I finally gave in and with 2 hour commutes, I set up 8 hours shadowing LA veterinary, and 60 volunteering at a horse barn that will be done by applications, but I'm not sure if I can spin that in a "quality" angle.

What if it wasn't quality experience though? I live in dead center Boston with no car, and that I wish I had had more opportunities, but it was impossible to find... I finally gave in and with 2 hour commutes, I set up 8 hours shadowing LA veterinary, and 60 volunteering at a horse barn that will be done by applications, but I'm not sure if I can spin that in a "quality" angle.
I just meant, be ready to talk in detail about what you saw, learned, etc. so that you can prove that you at least made the most of the little bit of shadowing time you had.

I think what @pirateyoho was trying to say is that you Valued the little time you were able to get. I dont think making excuses ( not saying you are but it would come off that way to the panel" would be the best angle to take. Maybe more along the lines of, - given my geographic location, gaining LA experience posed itself as a real challenge but when you were able to spend time with X vet doing XYZ things- that you enjoyed the experience and look forward to gaining more experience in the future.

"given my geographic location, gaining LA experience posed itself as a real challenge but when you were able to spend time with X vet doing XYZ things- that you enjoyed the experience and look forward to gaining more experience in the future."
I love it. Thank you!

I am considering Missouri for this application round since I have all their prerequisites, but I am waiting on their e-mail back to me with some questions I had. The fact that cumulative GPA is 20% is not good for me though. Could you guys shed some light on the admissions process itself?

I am considering Missouri for this application round since I have all their prerequisites, but I am waiting on their e-mail back to me with some questions I had. The fact that cumulative GPA is 20% is not good for me though. Could you guys shed some light on the admissions process itself?
Sure, what would you like to know about it? Do you have any specific questions about the admissions process?

Sure, what would you like to know about it? Do you have any specific questions about the admissions process?

I guess my question is more general in the sense of the actual process. A lot of other schools have "phases" to eliminate students, and I haven't seen a description of that for Missouri. I did see what their priority breakdown is (20% is cumulative GPA, 4% is GRE, etc.). Do you know what they do, like a file review for academics, then file review for non-academics, then interview? In hind sight, I should have included that in my e-mail and am irritated that I didn't, but I will ask when I reply to their reply.

I guess my question is more general in the sense of the actual process. A lot of other schools have "phases" to eliminate students, and I haven't seen a description of that for Missouri. I did see what their priority breakdown is (20% is cumulative GPA, 4% is GRE, etc.). Do you know what they do, like a file review for academics, then file review for non-academics, then interview? In hind sight, I should have included that in my e-mail and am irritated that I didn't, but I will ask when I reply to their reply.
Hmmm. I'm not 100% sure, but from what I know, if Missouri does have multiple "screenings" (which I don't think they do), you won't find out until they give out interviews around November no matter what. I think they look at our application as a whole (academics, letters, experience, etc.), plug in some numbers, and then decide whether to give you an interview. At that point you will either be invited for an interview, rejected, or "in limbo" to wait until someone declines a spot. Then afterwards, they put the interview into the "Overall impression," score and then you will be put into the computer and your entire application score will be ranked (I think the Dean has to confirm though), and then from there you will either get rejected, waitlisted, or accepted.

I felt like that was more of a ramble than an answer... hopefully that helped a little? Emailing them is definitely a good idea, they could tell you better than I ever could! :)

Thanks for your input, @Ashgirl. :). I visited Missouri with my undergrad pre-vet club on our drive to the Raleigh NC-State symposium, and I liked the school. So I don't want to eliminate them yet. I still need to pick three more schools to apply to.

We'd love to have you @batsenecal
I wish I could say more about the interview process, but being OOS, I barely knew much about it going in. Now with it being a few years after, I don't have much to offer.

So I got a 150/150 Q/V on the GRE (really bad testing day on top of a really rough week). But my GPA is a 3.83, and I've got good eLORs, etc..

I know that Missouri takes a minimum cumulative of 280 (I know it's 28_[something]_), but will the lower GRE score make me look any worse? Or do they tend to just sort of scan over it and give extra bonus points (so to speak) if you have a particularly high score? I've heard that that's what UTK does, and I'm applying to there as well (it's IS for me) so I'd like to know what I can at least hope to expect as far as gaining entry into some vet school. :scared:

So I got a 150/150 Q/V on the GRE (really bad testing day on top of a really rough week). But my GPA is a 3.83, and I've got good eLORs, etc..

I know that Missouri takes a minimum cumulative of 280 (I know it's 28_[something]_), but will the lower GRE score make me look any worse? Or do they tend to just sort of scan over it and give extra bonus points (so to speak) if you have a particularly high score? I've heard that that's what UTK does, and I'm applying to there as well (it's IS for me) so I'd like to know what I can at least hope to expect as far as gaining entry into some vet school. :scared:
285 is the min combined score for GRE and you just have to get the minimum. They only count it as 4% of your overall score.

The GRE is only 4% of the Academic evaluation so I wouldnt sweat it as long as everything else is good....

From the school webpage:
"Academic Evaluation:

An academic score will be assigned to each student by using cumulative grade point average (20 percent), the last three full-time semesters while working toward a undergraduate degree (summer not included) 10 percent), average undergraduate course load (6 percent), and performance on the MCAT or GRE general examination (4 percent). Cumulative GPA must be at least 3.00/4.00. Grades for repeated courses are averaged for calculation of GPA. "

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm

I'm late to the party but yay! I start at Mizzou this fall so I can't answer a lot of questions but maybe I can answer a few.

Hello, current applicants! I'll also be starting at Mizzou in a matter of weeks (CRAZY!) and am happy to offer any insight or advice. I'll try and recall my experience with the admissions process since it wasn't too long ago but it was such a blur!

All I can say for now is GOOD LUCK! This upcoming year will be a chaotic one but don't let that dampen your positivity! I'm so excited to start at Mizzou and I hope to see many of you there with me in a year!

:welcome:

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, my. I'm in my fourth year now, I feel so old! If anyone currently applying or getting ready to start their 1st year wants to chat, PM me and I'd be happy to give you my email!

I'm officially (most likely :p) applying to Mizzou this year!

I'm working on the supplemental now, and you'd think for having such a high supplemental fee it would be a bit more involved. The other school I applied to had two short essay questions and was half the price. At least ask me one question! haha

I am looking at the supplemental and wondering if I should even apply... I don't have any biomedical, public health or research experience. Is anyone else applying without this kind of experience? My grades are good and the rest of my application is strong but I feel that I have no chance leaving that section blank... any advice ???:(

I left it blank because I have no experience in that area. They won't count it against you.

I am looking at the supplemental and wondering if I should even apply... I don't have any biomedical, public health or research experience. Is anyone else applying without this kind of experience? My grades are good and the rest of my application is strong but I feel that I have no chance leaving that section blank... any advice ???:(
That section is just a drop in the bucket compared to the entire application. Everyone probably had one section somewhere where they had minimum experiences in something, so I wouldn't worry about it!

I actually pretty much maxed out the space on that section... but I have less stellar academics so every little extra bit helps my application.

But, to be completely honest, I wouldn't let not having any biomedical/research/public health experience keep you from applying -- especially if you happen to be IS! I know multiple current students at Mizzou who applied with nothing to write about for that section. With this school, the cumulative GPA is absolutely the most significant part of your application, so if that's high and everything else is solid, like the others have already said, I think you'll be just fine!

I actually pretty much maxed out the space on that section... but I have less stellar academics so every little extra bit helps my application.

But, to be completely honest, I wouldn't let not having any biomedical/research/public health experience keep you from applying -- especially if you happen to be IS! I know multiple current students at Mizzou who applied with nothing to write about for that section. With this school, the cumulative GPA is absolutely the most significant part of your application, so if that's high and everything else is solid, like the others have already said, I think you'll be just fine!

Thanks! that makes me feel better :)

For the last section of the supplement about research, I'm confused as to why there is a description box? I don't know what to say besides what my VMCAS description of my research says. Thoughts?

For the last section of the supplement about research, I'm confused as to why there is a description box? I don't know what to say besides what my VMCAS description of my research says. Thoughts?

So what I have now is a paraphrasing of what my VMCAS description says plus an extra sentence about what specific projects we're working on, since we get a few more characters. Do you think that's okay?

So what I have now is a paraphrasing of what my VMCAS description says plus an extra sentence about what specific projects we're working on, since we get a few more characters. Do you think that's okay?

Yep, sounds good!

Good luck all with the process! If you have any questions with the process or the school in general, please don't hesitate to send me a message! :)

Good luck all with the process! If you have any questions with the process or the school in general, please don't hesitate to send me a message! :)

Don't take advice from this kid.

Did anyone experience their explanation statement prompt disappear? I was on the essay portion about to enter my ps and the prompt and essay for the explanation was gone. I was reallu wanting to submit that because I went through some academic hardships for some personal reasons. Did VMCAS just decide not to have the prompt last minute or what? It wouldnt be fair for a number of applicants to be able to submit it and this happen to the last ones to submit. I can't tell if its a glitch because I wasnt able to pull it up on windows or firefox

Did anyone experience their explanation statement prompt disappear? I was on the essay portion about to enter my ps and the prompt and essay for the explanation was gone. I was reallu wanting to submit that because I went through some academic hardships for some personal reasons. Did VMCAS just decide not to have the prompt last minute or what? It wouldnt be fair for a number of applicants to be able to submit it and this happen to the last ones to submit. I can't tell if its a glitch because I wasnt able to pull it up on windows or firefox
Many people r experiencing this... Not sure if it's a glitch or not, but I would assume that it is

My VMCAS was already submitted, but I logged in to check for you. I found the explanation statement under Other Information within the Personal Information tab.

No, I have no freaking idea why VMCAS thought it'd be even the least bit sensical to move it to a completely different location two weeks before the deadline. Geez, this entire cycle has been a mess for VMCAS...