University of Missouri CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I didn't know they took down the spots when someone signed up! That makes sense :) :nod:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OOS applicant and received an interview. Will be there Jan 9th!!! Good luck everyone!!!!

Mizzou vet students! What kind of questions were you asked during your interview? Any behavioral questions? Or was your interview more like a conversation? Any information will help!

Mizzou vet students! What kind of questions were you asked during your interview? Any behavioral questions? Or was your interview more like a conversation? Any information will help!
It was very conversational, and had a mix of very specific application questions and in my mind traditional questions: I was asked what I got out of being a leader for a certain group and why I joined one club. I only joined for a semester, but this brings up a good point- Anything on your application is up for grabs, not just your big ticket items. I was also asked about my research project, why they should pick me, and then some questions about how I handled stress, how I would deal with C's in vet school, what class was difficult for me in undergrad, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
OOS applicant and I will be there Jan. 3rd! :D I am super excited. This is the first school I have heard back from so far. Driving from FL and making a road trip out of it :)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, also wanted to add I'm open for questions, always! Shoot me a pm would be the easiest way.

Can anyone suggest ways to handle the "why we should pick you" questions? I'm not the best at selling myself, and I don't know how to answer that question without bragging, or sounding like I am unsure. I feel like I have plenty of strong points, I just don't know how to put them together without sounding like "I'm clearly the most awesome applicant ever, you'd be foolish not to pick me." :p

OOS applicant and I will be there Jan. 3rd! :D I am super excited. This is the first school I have heard back from so far. Driving from FL and making a road trip out of it :)

Driving from New Jersey!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested to know. Everyone who has been offered an interview invite what are your stats? Like GPA/GRE
My stats were poor compared to others. GPA 3.58 GRE Quant: 151 Qual:152 writ: 3 but I have TONS of experience hours

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh, I forgot that I was "in-state" for Missouri (Missouri resident, going to school in Minnesota) and briefly panicked about not having an interview yet. IS offers have not gone out yet, right?

Ugh, I forgot that I was "in-state" for Missouri (Missouri resident, going to school in Minnesota) and briefly panicked about not having an interview yet. IS offers have not gone out yet, right?
Expect really late for interview invites, like January/later. Ashgirl would know better though

I was asked about my main clinical experience and my next highest clinical experience in a different category. I was asked about one of my research projects. I was asked about my goals for vet med/post vet school (it was a bit more specific than that, but I specified in my PS about what my goals were). I was asked generic question about animal rights vs animal welfare. And I was asked about how I would finance my education. My friend was asked about her bad grade semester (which really wasn't a "bad" semester). Be prepared to "defend" bad grades if you have anything remotely low.... But don't be ashamed of it neither and don't let a question like that phase you.

It was a chill interview for most, so don't fret too much, just be yourself! :) Doug will most likely be there making you laugh beforehand, and a few of us will be there talking to yall, trying to get anxiety levels at least a little bit down.

Don't worry! Interviews won't even start coming out until Feb, and then you're interview will either be at the end of Feb or beginning of March. You will find out late March/April. It's probably the worst wait ever... so just hang in there!

So if I have not heard anything from Mizzou where do I stand? Is it similar to the last 2 cycles in that rejection emails were sent a couple days after the interview invites and that if you didn't receive either your technically on the wait list to be interviewed and won't hear anything till December 2nd?

Yep. Like Ashgirl said, IS applicants still have quite a while until even interviews are sent out. You're certainly not the only one here who has to wait, trust me! :( Hopefully the next few months go by fairly quickly.
I'll know if I'm in other schools before I even hear about interview from Missouri...

Anyone know how quickly after our interview decisions come?

Has anyone received rejection emails, or do any current students know if they have been sent out yet? I haven't gotten any emails so I'm crossing my fingers that I am on the waitlist...

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received rejection emails, or do any current students know if they have been sent out yet? I haven't gotten any emails so I'm crossing my fingers that I am on the waitlist...

I also haven't gotten any emails, so you're not the only one wondering!

Me too!! I haven't heard either way.

Last edited:
Ah, it's sort of reassuring to know I'm not the only OS to not have heard anything yet? :(

It was like a conversation. I prepared so much ahead of time to make sure I could rattle off names of vaccines and stuff like that, because for some reason I expected them to "quiz" me to gauge the quality of my clinical experiences. It ended up being really unnecessary; everything they asked me was stuff I could have answered with zero preparation ("Tell us what you did during this internship," "Why do you have so little large animal experience?", etc.).

One thing they asked me that I thought was really interesting was what my favorite and least favorite parts of veterinary medicine were. I wasn't expecting it, but it ended up leading to a pretty interesting conversation.

Also, don't be shy to reference anything you feel helps you answer your question. I literally referred to a TED talk as an example for one of my answers and ended up impressing one of my interviewers who was a huge fan of the speaker who gave that talk. Just be yourself and don't be afraid to step outside the box a little bit when answering your questions; you WANT to stand out, not give cookie-cutter interview answers. :)

It was like a conversation. I prepared so much ahead of time to make sure I could rattle off names of vaccines and stuff like that, because for some reason I expected them to "quiz" me to gauge the quality of my clinical experiences. It ended up being really unnecessary; everything they asked me was stuff I could have answered with zero preparation ("Tell us what you did during this internship," "Why do you have so little large animal experience?", etc.).

One thing they asked me that I thought was really interesting was what my favorite and least favorite parts of veterinary medicine were. I wasn't expecting it, but it ended up leading to a pretty interesting conversation.

Also, don't be shy to reference anything you feel helps you answer your question. I literally referred to a TED talk as an example for one of my answers and ended up impressing one of my interviewers who was a huge fan of the speaker who gave that talk. Just be yourself and don't be afraid to step outside the box a little bit when answering your questions; you WANT to stand out, not give cookie-cutter interview answers. :)

Standing out definitely looks better than "cookie cutting". I know that a lot of schools tend to ask some of the same questions (Why vet med? Why this school? What are your strengths and weaknesses?), and then do their own thing after that, depending on the interviewers. It's cool you could use the TED talks, though! I probably wouldn't have thought to do that. I heard of one guy who went for an interview (can't recall where) and they spent almost the entire time talking about his hobby of running marathons. But I guess running marathons indicates a persistent, dedicated, strong-willed person so maybe that's why the interviewers liked talking to him about it.

for those who recieved interviews make sure to check your email! They changed my interview time and room number. My new interview schedule ist at "9:45 AM on January 9, 2016 in Interview room Green (W218E)". Anyone else in this room? :)

for those who recieved interviews make sure to check your email! They changed my interview time and room number. My new interview schedule ist at "9:45 AM on January 9, 2016 in Interview room Green (W218E)". Anyone else in this room? :)
I keep forgetting that they split rooms for OOS interviews. Regardless of who has what room, don't worry though, we will have a list up front and us ambassadors will walk you everywhere including to lunch and of course on tours!), so don't worry about getting lost or even forgetting what room you are in- We've got you covered :):):)

I'll know if I'm in other schools before I even hear about interview from Missouri...
If it makes you feel better, IS applicants are guaranteed an interview as long as you have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, your 3 LORs submitted (including one from a vet), and you got at least a 285 on the GRE (quantitative + verbal) and a 1.5 on the analytical section. More info here: http://vetmed.missouri.edu/evaluation.htm

any rejections go out yet? if not when will they?

any rejections go out yet? if not when will they?
Called last Thursday, they are awaiting a decision from the Dean on whether they need more people to interview or not. Should be any day now.

Reactions: 3 users
Called last Thursday, they are awaiting a decision from the Dean on whether they need more people to interview or not. Should be any day now.

I'm getting anxious.

Just got my rejection email so hopefully the wait is over for the rest of you too! (Although I hope you got a better outcome than I did)

Well, no interview for me this year. Do they do file reviews?

Yeah, I just got my rejection letter maybe 30 minutes ago. :( Of all schools, I didn't expect to get rejected by them. But I've got an interview invite from my 2nd choice school, so I guess it's not the end of the world.

Also, as asked above, do they file reviews? I'd really like to know why I wasn't invited for an interview. And also, how do you go about finding/accessing those? I'm a first year applicant, and haven't looked too much into how to "cope" with rejection. :/

Good luck to the rest of you!

I also received my rejection letter. I woukd also really like to know if they do file reviews as well just to know what all I need to work on.

One of my friends suggested my demographics; I'm from Tennessee, which has both UTK and LMU. I got an interview at UTK (again, my 2nd choice), so they may have preferential decisions based on what kind of other schools are closer to you, if that makes sense?

I have a 3.85 GPA, not too shabby of a GRE, good eLORS, and lots of experience. So...I'm not sure what happened. :/

One of my friends suggested my demographics; I'm from Tennessee, which has both UTK and LMU. I got an interview at UTK (again, my 2nd choice), so they may have preferential decisions based on what kind of other schools are closer to you, if that makes sense?

I have a 3.85 GPA, not too shabby of a GRE, good eLORS, and lots of experience. So...I'm not sure what happened. :/
Not to be the bearer of... weird news, but your location has absolutely nothing to do with school decisions. Your best bet is to ask the admissions office for a file review and have a phone conference with someone who will go over your application with you. California has two schools (UC Davis and Western) and you can bet that there's probably a California student or two who've been rejected from those schools and accepted elsewhere.

Like they base getting an interview on school's around you? Definitely not. If you look at our statistics, we have TONS of people that are from states that already have vet schools. The ONLY thing that is school related is how many credits you take per semester and if they are online or not. No school or state bias what-so-ever.

I would contact admissions and ask for a file review. I'm almost positive they'll work something out for you.

Is your experience diverse? Horse, exotics, research, large animal?

Sounds like you are quite the competition. Is your experience diversified between small, large, research, etc animal and vet? I know my problem is most of my experience is small animal and research. I have some equine animal expr but no equine/bovine vet experience.

Hopefully you get better news from your other school. I am a 2nd year aplicant and I completely fell apart last year when my one and only (IS) school flat out rejected me. I think the trick is to realise that there is at least one area you need ti improve on, and focus on that for next year. Also, it is luck of the draw from year to year and between schools and depends so much on the stats of the rest of the applicant pool. Keep your chin up and focus on making yourself more competitive for next year.

Not to be the bearer of... weird news, but your location has absolutely nothing to do with school decisions. Your best bet is to ask the admissions office for a file review and have a phone conference with someone who will go over your application with you. California has two schools (UC Davis and Western) and you can bet that there's probably a California student or two who've been rejected from those schools and accepted elsewhere.

I wasn't saying it was the exact reasoning behind the reason I got rejected, I was just offering what one of my friends suggested. Schools unfortunately have weird reasons for accepting/declining people. Someone in my major last year got rejected because, during the interview, they thought he was too confident in himself; meanwhile, they accepted one of his shy and soft-spoken friends.

I wasn't saying it was the exact reasoning behind the reason I got rejected, I was just offering what one of my friends suggested. Schools unfortunately have weird reasons for accepting/declining people. Someone in my major last year got rejected because, during the interview, they thought he was too confident in himself; meanwhile, they accepted one of his shy and soft-spoken friends.
Though try to remember that the interview is just a part of the application, you don't know if that's the reason why the shyer one (who I and several of my classmates can identify with...), got accepted over him.

It can definitely be an odd process (I have personal experience with this!), but I can tell you MO doesn't have a state bias for sure.

over-confidence can kill animals. That's not a weird reason.

Also, your rejection likely has nothing to do with the fact that you have vet schools in your area. If you were truly a super competitive applicant, Mizzou would be offering an interview regardless.

More likely, they have other qualifications they look for that you did not meet compared to other applicants this year.

Sounds like you are quite the competition. Is your experience diversified between small, large, research, etc animal and vet? I know my problem is most of my experience is small animal and research. I have some equine animal expr but no equine/bovine vet experience.

Hopefully you get better news from your other school. I am a 2nd year aplicant and I completely fell apart last year when my one and only (IS) school flat out rejected me. I think the trick is to realise that there is at least one area you need ti improve on, and focus on that for next year. Also, it is luck of the draw from year to year and between schools and depends so much on the stats of the rest of the applicant pool. Keep your chin up and focus on making yourself more competitive for next year.

Thank you! That definitely makes me feel better in the midst of being worried/rejected haha. I do have small/large animal experience, and several of my classes I've taken at school have involved working with other animals (bovine, swine, sheep and goats, horses etc.), even though it's not technically "veterinary" experience , they involved things like palpation, working with other smaller farm animals, etc.. And usually the professor was a veterinarian. (So that counts, right? lol!) I don't have research, though. But the school I go to don't really emphasize that for some reason---which I guess may be why it bit me in the rear end. -_-

I know a girl who applied three times, and finally got accepted last year and she's absolutely thriving in vet school. So I try to remind myself it's sometimes just the luck of the draw. And meanwhile, I'll continue to try to strengthen my application (research...).

instead of speculating, ask the school during a file review. I guarantee that will get you farther. You don't need research experience to get into vet school

instead of speculating, ask the school during a file review. I guarantee that will get you farther. You don't need research experience to get into vet school

Yea.... I have zero research experience and I was offered an interview!

Yea.... I have zero research experience and I was offered an interview!

I get the feeling that research isn't really all that important; like the GRE for some schools are just like "Oh, you took it. Good job." I think research and being exposed to it is valuable, but really for people who *don't* want to go into research, I don't see much of a point in it. It's just extra gunner icing on the cake.
Just like if you say you want to do large animal, but all of your experience is in small animal they don't like that. I'd argue, "I did so much small animal to know 100% that I don't want to do it." Haha. Okay, so maybe I'd just think that and not speak it.

May I ask your stats, just out of curiosity.