University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Une changed their prereqs and added 6 credits of psychology, on the website they also say that they will only take 3 credits of AP only. I have 3 credits of psychology from ap and im going to take 3 more credits of psychology in fall 2015. im assuming this still wont count?

that's ridiculous

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure that as long as you have the class complete before starting school there that you'll be fine

Une changed their prereqs and added 6 credits of psychology, on the website they also say that they will only take 3 credits of AP only. I have 3 credits of psychology from ap and im going to take 3 more credits of psychology in fall 2015. im assuming this still wont count?

that's ridiculous

I'm pretty sure that as long as you have the class complete before starting school there that you'll be fine

That is NOT the case--check on the AACOMAS app under UNE. You have to have the pre-reqs complete (except for biochem) by January of the year you matriculate. If you're applying this cycle, that seems to be January 2016 ("All other prerequisite courses must be completed with a "C" or better by January 1, 2016"). These new reqs forced me to drop UNE from my school list :/

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for clarifying! Looks like I'll be signing up to take a biochem course this fall

That is NOT the case--check on the AACOMAS app under UNE. You have to have the pre-reqs complete (except for biochem) by January of the year you matriculate. If you're applying this cycle, that seems to be January 2016 ("All other prerequisite courses must be completed with a "C" or better by January 1, 2016"). These new reqs forced me to drop UNE from my school list :/

Does anyone know if there are any other schools that have this strange pre-req policy being completed by January?

I assumed all schools allowed you to finish a pre-req or two as long as it was before matriculation, doesn't matter when. So I was a bit surprised to see this from UNECOM. Any other schools like this?

On amcas however... It says that Ap credit can cover up to 3 credits of the 6 requirement for psychology????

I confirmed via email with UNECOM and I was actually correct.

Confirmed what? Pre reqs don't need to be completed by January 2016? Just prior to matriculating?

• UNECOM will accept the online science courses offered through UNE's Online Science Prerequisites, as well as many other courses, as fulfilling the prerequisites.
  • All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better; “C-“grades are not acceptable.
  • All pre-requisite coursework (excluding a pre-enrollment requirement of Biochemistry) must be completed by January 1 of the matriculation year. Please include any in-progress or planned coursework in your AACOMAS application.
  • Applicants with Advanced Placement credit may use 3 credits of English toward the fulfillment of the English requirement. No other AP credits will fulfill prerequisites.
Looks like ONLY Biochem can be completed after January 2016...Kinda sucks because now Im highly considering taking UNE off my list.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied last cycle (currently waitlisted) and didn't have my biochem pre-req filled. I called and asked and they said I just need it to be completed prior to matriculation in August, so I'm completing the class right now. You don't have to have it done by January 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a 'primary received' email

Well I got 2 primary received emails.

Reactions: 3 users
Even with the primary received emails, don't expect to get a secondary any time soon. Based on the last couple of years, UNECOM doesn't send those out until late July. We're gonna be sitting here waiting awhile, unfortunately. Good chance to do your other secondaries though, while you are waiting I guess.

Does anyone know if they would accept organizational behavior (undergrad or MPH level) or behavioral health (MPH) for the psych requirement? Or even sociology or anthropology (which other schools seem to be accepting under the umbrella of "behavioral sciences")? I only took one psych department class in undergrad, but I have all those other things. (Trying to decide if it's worth it to take a psych class this summer or fall. They're a top osteo choice for me--clinical campus in my hometown!)

Their website doesn't seem to say. I'm guessing I'm going to have to contact them to ask, but I thought someone might have already asked them?

Interestingly, I only selected my single psych class in AACOMAS, and it marked the section complete anyway.

I called admissions with the same question and they said that because this is the first year they are requiring psychology courses they will also accept sociology :)

I called admissions with the same question and they said that because this is the first year they are requiring psychology courses they will also accept sociology :)
Sweet. I'm back in.

Yay! Thanks for calling!

Anyone have any idea what the secondary questions might be? I haven't been able to find them for any recent year?

Got it earlier today. They "recommend" two weeks for completion.

Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions counselors, student affairs staff, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?
0/2000 characters

* Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes or additions in your education or employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.
0/2000 characters

* Pick an example of a challenge/difficulty you have encountered that is of a personal, cultural, extra-curricular, or academic nature. What insight have you gained from this event? How will it influence your time at UNECOM and your practice of medicine?
0/2000 characters

* Describe your particular interest in osteopathic medicine, how you learned of it, and how it fits into your future plans.
0/2000 characters

Reactions: 3 users
Got it earlier today. They "recommend" two weeks for completion.

Describe your particular interest in attending UNECOM and any contact you have had with UNECOM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions counselors, student affairs staff, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?
0/2000 characters

* Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes or additions in your education or employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.
0/2000 characters

* Pick an example of a challenge/difficulty you have encountered that is of a personal, cultural, extra-curricular, or academic nature. What insight have you gained from this event? How will it influence your time at UNECOM and your practice of medicine?
0/2000 characters

* Describe your particular interest in osteopathic medicine, how you learned of it, and how it fits into your future plans.
0/2000 characters
dang i got nothing for the first question. never met anyone from UNECOM.

Thanks for posting the prompts! This is my top choice hope I get the secondary soon!!

Also, does it say how they'll be accepting payments this year? I was looking through the 2014-2015 thread and it seemed like some people were having trouble with it then

Last edited:
i've been a west coaster all my life and after all the hype i heard about the east from my college buds, i would like to move there at least for school. is that a good reason? or nah

can't believe they ask us how many schools we applied to

Is anyone else who was already verified still waiting to get a secondary?

Just received my secondary today! Verified 6/18

Just received the secondary today! I was verified in May

I was verified in July. No secondary, got an email saying they received my app tho awhile ago.

This is literally the only school I'm applying to. Hopefully my primary application will be complete later this week. I'm lucky they run slightly behind other schools.

No secondary yet. Keeping my hopes up!

what do we put down under "reference full address"? do they mean email? I have no clue what my LOR reference mailing addresses are.

Do we have to be verified to receive the secondary?