University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected. This was my #1. Bummed but congrats to all those accepted and getting II!

Same. Just now. First rejection to really sting. Life goes on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unexpected II today! Will likely not be attending... but anybody have thoughts on this school (pros and cons) before I make that decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unexpected II today! Will likely not be attending... but anybody have thoughts on this school (pros and cons) before I make that decision?
I personally fell in love with the school during my interview. I didn't go in expecting much but honestly it's one of the best schools if you're looking for an intimate and nurturing environment. Everyone is very nice, the class size is small, the learning environment is great. Because of the small class size you have access to your professors easily. They have a problem based learning system, which I personally prefer over traditional lectures. The campus is beautiful, and it's Maine. The atmosphere is very welcoming, there's great beaches. The students actually live in beach houses which is pretty awesome. Portland is a great little city, very unique, great culture. They have rotations all through the east coast so you have a large option on where you want to live you 3rd and 4th year.

To me the only downside is the tuition which is kinda expensive but fairly normal to other schools I've applied to. I'm not a Maine resident, and I honestly wanna stay in state. But if I didn't have my personal reasons I would go to this school in a heart beat. If you got an II I would highly recommend going. Take my opinion for what you will, hopefully it'll help you a bit on your decision.

Reactions: 2 users
ii today for a few months from now. Reading their class is already full though? Interesting to do interviews for so long after the class is full. I'm going to go either way but I'd like to think there is still a shot to get in.

I think the whole 'the class is full' is a standard waitlist line that many medical schools use, but we know it's a constant dynamic of people withdrawing acceptances all the way until the spring. No way UNECOM is the first med school to have a secured class

Last edited:
Is there an accepted student facebook page?

Reactions: 1 users
I think the whole 'the class is full' is a standard waitlist line that many medical schools use, but we know it's a constant dynamic of people withdrawing acceptances all the way until the spring. No way UNECOM is the first med school to have a secured class

Its still an incredibly lame thing to do...flights cost $$

Is anyone thinking about housing options yet? I know it's a little bit early for it but I wanted to get an understanding of how the rent and what the good areas to live in are.

Is anyone thinking about housing options yet? I know it's a little bit early for it but I wanted to get an understanding of how the rent and what the good areas to live in are.

I've been casually skimming places like Zillow and Craigslist to see what's out there. It looks like places are on average $400-$600 per person for a single (at least the places I've been looking at). My tour guide said that people live at the beach, but that those are difficult because the lease dates don't match up with class time

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people waitlisted: I wouldn't worry too much, I know people who interviewed in March/April area last year who were waitlisted and then accepted. There's definitely waitlist movement throughout the year, and I think there's a high chance of getting off the waitlist. If you really want to go, a letter of intent definitely wouldn't hurt...

Reactions: 4 users
I've been casually skimming places like Zillow and Craigslist to see what's out there. It looks like places are on average $400-$600 per person for a single (at least the places I've been looking at). My tour guide said that people live at the beach, but that those are difficult because the lease dates don't match up with class time

Current student; can confirm that beach houses get a little tricky since most rentals begin sept 1st, we start the first week of august. Some students camped out in hotels or couch surfed for the first month before moving in. A house will usually run you between $300 and $600 per person, and many students live in the towns of Biddeford and Saco (~5 miles away) in apartments (usually $400-$600 to share an apt, $600-900 for a single bedroom). Double check what utilities are included, usually a cheaper place without heat is more expensive in the long run but it's the norm here to include heat with rent. Most students wait a while to make living arrangements (i.e. the summer when seat movement slows) and have no problem. I'd recommend using the class page for filling a house, and a real estate agent for apartments (PM me for a good real estate).

Anyone received rejection post-interview without being waitlisted? Havent seen any from prev years thread

Not sure if it will help anyone but will most likely be withdrawing my name from the waitlist- congrats again to all those accepted! This really is an amazing schools and I can't wait to call you all colleagues in the future :)

Not sure if it will help anyone but will most likely be withdrawing my name from the waitlist- congrats again to all those accepted! This really is an amazing schools and I can't wait to call you all colleagues in the future :)

Good luck with everything!!!

yup rejected this week too pre-interview..was my #1

Just withdrew my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you! :)

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is meeting this week at all? (12/3 interview) They said decisions may/may not come before the new year.

Will be interviewing here Feb. 2nd. Anyone have any advice/knowledge to share with me?

You'll have an information session with everyone first, then either a tour or interview depending on how they grouped you. Your interview will be about 20-30 minutes with a student, professor, and clinician. Just be yourself, they just want to see if you're a good fit

You'll have an information session with everyone first, then either a tour or interview depending on how they grouped you. Your interview will be about 20-30 minutes with a student, professor, and clinician. Just be yourself, they just want to see if you're a good fit

Yes I'm interviewing in the afternoon. Thank you.

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is meeting this week at all? (12/3 interview) They said decisions may/may not come before the new year.
Why not call and ask, let us know when you do! Thanks

Will be withdrawing my acceptance...hope the spot goes to one of you! Best of luck

First II!! Feb 4! Complete early Dec! Soooooo happy!!

Current student; can confirm that beach houses get a little tricky since most rentals begin sept 1st, we start the first week of august. Some students camped out in hotels or couch surfed for the first month before moving in. A house will usually run you between $300 and $600 per person, and many students live in the towns of Biddeford and Saco (~5 miles away) in apartments (usually $400-$600 to share an apt, $600-900 for a single bedroom). Double check what utilities are included, usually a cheaper place without heat is more expensive in the long run but it's the norm here to include heat with rent. Most students wait a while to make living arrangements (i.e. the summer when seat movement slows) and have no problem. I'd recommend using the class page for filling a house, and a real estate agent for apartments (PM me for a good real estate).

I wonder if there is any housing near the school that I can commute by public or school bus.

Does anyone know when the day ends for interviewees in the afternoon session? Trying to book my return flights...
Thanks!

Does anyone know when the day ends for interviewees in the afternoon session? Trying to book my return flights...
Thanks!
for my session the last one was at 3pm, so definitely ends befpre 4pm, YMMV

Thanks!
My afternoon session was scheduled to end at 4 and it ended exactly at that time after the tour. They do let you leave as soon as you're done with your interviewe though if you wanna skip the tour. I booked a 7pm flight back because I didn't wanna deal with rushing my interview.

for my session the last one was at 3pm, so definitely ends befpre 4pm, YMMV

My afternoon session was scheduled to end at 4 and it ended exactly at that time after the tour. They do let you leave as soon as you're done with your interviewe though if you wanna skip the tour. I booked a 7pm flight back because I didn't wanna deal with rushing my interview.

Sounds good - Thanks!

Hey! Are there any current students willing to answer some questions?

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you!

Last edited:
I'll be applying here next year, and it's my number one choice, I'm just wondering if anybody has gotten an interview or been accepted without a DO letter? I know UNE says it's optional if you have another professional reference

I'll be applying here next year, and it's my number one choice, I'm just wondering if anybody has gotten an interview or been accepted without a DO letter? I know UNE says it's optional if you have another professional reference
I was accepted and didn't have a DO letter. It's good if you get the chance to have one, but deff not a mandated thing.

Mind you, you still have lots of time to shadow a DO and get a recommendation for next cycle. Yes you probably can get in without one, but if it's your number 1 and because they highly recommend getting a DO reference, it's probably in your best interest to get one

I got in with an MD letter. I think it's more important that your recommender illustrates how you act and present yourself in accordance with osteopathic principles (compassion, empathy, patient-centered care, etc) and not necessarily as much to do with the letters after his or her name. I'm sure a letter coming from a DO gives them confidence that the individual knows more about what they are looking for, but remember that this is about you, not the person writing the letter, and the letter's content should easily supersede two letters.

Hey guys, I spoke with the financial aid office recently and thought I should share in case some of you are just as lost as me on all of this. The Fafsa for the 2016-2017 cycle is open and UNECOM is not listed as any of the schools, it's all under UNE. They said not to include parent information, since we're considered independent. And they mentioned that they give out rewards at the begining of March and though there's no solid deadline for Fafsa submission it's preferred in January or early February.

Can any current students comment on what being a student at UNECOM is like? Is it nurturing? How is the instruction? Do they give time to study for COMLEX? Are their exam questions tailored to the licencing exams and such?

Has anyone heard anything about when the adcom is meeting next or when they might start using the waitlist? Love this school, dying a bit!

On a side note, does UNE still put people on the ASA?

Interviewed today! So laid back and friendly