University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just seeking clarification:

Is there an official "your application is complete" email after the "your application is now under review" email, or are they one and the same?

I got "Supplemental Application Received," "Supplemental Application Fee Received," and then "Application Complete." The next email was for an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anybody interviewing on Thursday 10/22 and is going to be there the night before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thank you for the information! Are you OOS? I am also interviewing in the afternoon. Were there a lot of ethical questions or more based on your application? Any questions that stood out to you? Thanks so much. :)

Last edited:
For the people that interviewed- where did you all stay if you stayed overnight?

I got "Supplemental Application Received," "Supplemental Application Fee Received," and then "Application Complete." The next email was for an interview.
Wow... glad I asked. I only received the first 2 and the "fee received" email was 3 weeks ago today! It seems to me they're due an email, then.

I'm an OOS from Colorado and have an interview 10/29. I know this school has a New England bias. How difficult will it be to get in?

For the people that interviewed- where did you all stay if you stayed overnight?
Holiday Inn Express in Biddeford, I think it was $95 a night. It's right across from the Southern Maine Medical Center.

Yep, OOS but a New Englander with strong ties to the region. I wasn't asked any ethical questions, but as for questions that stood out:

1. They started off by asking very specific questions about why I'm interested in osteopathic medicine, how much I know about OMM, what exposure I've had to practicing DOs, etc. This turned into ~10 minutes worth of a discussion, and I think they were trying to confirm that I'm not an MD applicant using DO schools as back-up.
2. One interviewer only asked one question. Following a comment I made about shadowing a clinician, she asked me to describe the most memorable patient interaction I've had.
3. They mentioned a couple of times how long/challenging medical school is, and asked questions about how I will take care of myself (aka what do you do to blow off steam), why I think I'd be happy in Maine/remote rotational sites, etc.

Good luck!
I wasn't asked any ethical questions either. We actually began as one of the interviewers walked me into the room, he brought up something I discussed in my personal statement, and we went from there. Then they basically said "we know how you got interested in becoming a DO..." but basically had me restate the first answer on my secondary, and then they had me elaborate on my research experience. After that, they told me a number of things about the school which they thought might interest me based on my application, I commented on those, and it was a conversation basically until time was up. I actually felt it was short and feared that I didn't answer nearly enough, but I got in so my worries apparently were unfounded.

I'm an OOS from Colorado and have an interview 10/29. I know this school has a New England bias. How difficult will it be to get in?
The tour guides told us that once you get an interview the committee has more or less made up their mind about you, I wouldn't worry about being from out of the region. If they are going to make you fly all the way out to interview, it would be pretty cruel to then rule you out purely because you don't fit into their regional bias. They can't only accept New Englanders and New Yorkers, and if anything, use your diverse geographical origin to your advantage!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow... glad I asked. I only received the first 2 and the "fee received" email was 3 weeks ago today! It seems to me they're due an email, then.

I would call and ask them about it; I applied last year, and my application wasn't complete for a while. I finally called and inquired about my status, and there had been an issue with one of my LORs. Once it was resolved, I was marked complete a few hours later!

Going on 8/28 for my interview, OOS cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.6 MCAT 28. 2 years of clinical scribe experience, and 2 years of OMM experience as a PT tech. This school looks so amazing, super excited for my interview.

If anyone else is coming from out of state just a heads up Ramada Inn has a free shuttle to and from the airport and free shuttle to and from UNE. They also have a special rate for UNE applicants, I paid 65 a night.

Going on 8/28 for my interview, OOS cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.6 MCAT 28. 2 years of clinical scribe experience, and 2 years of OMM experience as a PT tech. This school looks so amazing, super excited for my interview.

If anyone else is coming from out of state just a heads up Ramada Inn has a free shuttle to and from the airport and free shuttle to and from UNE. They also have a special rate for UNE applicants, I paid 65 a night.

I am going to stay at Ramada. Where is the shuttle at the airport?

Thanks! :)

I am going to stay at Ramada. Where is the shuttle at the airport?

Thanks! :)
I called the hotel and they told me to give them a call when my plane lands and the shuttle will pick me up from the baggage claim area. They also took down my flight schedule and interview time, I think you should give them a call and let them know your schedule. Because it's one guy operating the shuttle and apparently it helps them to know the students schedules.

I called the hotel and they told me to give them a call when my plane lands and the shuttle will pick me up from the baggage claim area. They also took down my flight schedule and interview time, I think you should give them a call and let them know your schedule. Because it's one guy operating the shuttle and apparently it helps them to know the students schedules.
Ok, thanks for the heads up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would call and ask them about it; I applied last year, and my application wasn't complete for a while. I finally called and inquired about my status, and there had been an issue with one of my LORs. Once it was resolved, I was marked complete a few hours later!
I emailed and was told my application was complete but the email hadn't gone through and that they would resend it for my records. I still haven't gotten it though, and am now worried that my interview invite email (should I get one) won't go through either. I'm not sure what to do about this.

Does anyone know if the interviewers see your file, or is it a closed file interview? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the interviewers see your file, or is it a closed file interview? Thanks!
It's not a closed interview. They will likely ask you to repeat some aspects of your application, and ask you more in-depth questions on others.

It's not a closed interview. They will likely ask you to repeat some aspects of your application, and ask you more in-depth questions on others.
Is it closed GPA and MCAT?

Is it closed GPA and MCAT?
From what I could tell, the interviewers had not just read my entire application but they were very familiar with it. One interviewer had maybe five or six individual words written down on a piece of paper and that was it, yet he commented in relative detail about my application. He also mentioned that he was certain I was academically qualified, and other people said they were told similar things, which suggests they definitely know your MCAT and GPA.

That said, it bears repeating: If you got an interview, you passed that part. Be relaxed and try to enjoy the experience. I had a pretty fun day, the faculty and students are beyond welcoming. If you show you have a personality, a genuine interest in the school, and potential to fit in well with your fellow students, they will probably accept you. That's what I heard from current students, and as far as I can tell they were right.

From what I could tell, the interviewers had not just read my entire application but they were very familiar with it. One interviewer had maybe five or six individual words written down on a piece of paper and that was it, yet he commented in relative detail about my application. He also mentioned that he was certain I was academically qualified, and other people said they were told similar things, which suggests they definitely know your MCAT and GPA.

That said, it bears repeating: If you got an interview, you passed that part. Be relaxed and try to enjoy the experience. I had a pretty fun day, the faculty and students are beyond welcoming. If you show you have a personality, a genuine interest in the school, and potential to fit in well with your fellow students, they will probably accept you. That's what I heard from current students, and as far as I can tell they were right.
You've been so helpful. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Been 3 weeks since my interview. Waiting...lalalalalalalala

This may be a silly question being I was completed 8/10 but there is no portal to check application progress correct? I never received any link to a portal in my complete email but I just want to make sure with everyone here that I'm right or maybe wrong. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys! I've had a few interviews already this cycle but am considering adding a couple additional schools. Would it be too late in the cycle or do I still have a decent chance here? MCAT score matches their average and my sGPA is a 3.7. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hey guys! I've had a few interviews already this cycle but am considering adding a couple additional schools. Would it be too late in the cycle or do I still have a decent chance here? MCAT score matches their average and my sGPA is a 3.7. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Go for it, it wouldn't hurt. Since you already had a couple interviews if those schools get back to you there's nothing lost. Plus the DO cycle is very spaced out, I don't think it'd be too late.

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated! I'll submit later today.

Any advice or info would be appreciated, confidence isnt too hot following 3 other less than successful interviews.

Accepted today! Interview was on 10/6. Maryland resident, but originally from Maine.

Reactions: 2 users
congrats to those accepted! anyone from the 10/1 interview hear back yet?

Well what do you know..ACCEPTED!!! :)
now my decision is even made even harder.... I loooooved my time here, the community is what truly stands out here (aside from the fact that Maine and UNECOM is gorgeous)
So happy!
Interviewed 10/1

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
accepted!! cgpa 3.5, sgpa 3.2, 33 MCAT

interviewed 10/1

Reactions: 2 users
I was complete in mid September but have heard nothing but silence yet.... bad sign?

Just interviewed yesterday and fell in love with the school... hoping I get some good news as this is probably my top choice! :)

Withdrew my application. Good luck, everyone.

Any advice or info would be appreciated, confidence isnt too hot following 3 other less than successful interviews.
I've said it a few times already, but it's worth repeating: Try to have fun, it's an incredibly relaxed day. Have a conversation with the interviewers, don't let your nerves get the best of you (I know it's easier said than done, but they do their best to be as non-intimidating as possible), and, considering it's open file, try to give them information they don't already know about you.

Recent interviewee. This wait is going to be painful! Is it possible for the interview to feel TOO conversational? At the time I felt very comfortable, but I am starting to think of every single coulda shoulda woulda.

Recent interviewee. This wait is going to be painful! Is it possible for the interview to feel TOO conversational? At the time I felt very comfortable, but I am starting to think of every single coulda shoulda woulda.

I've recently been accepted. UNECOM was by far the most laid back, conversational interview I've had. I felt comfortable and relaxed, and my interviewers were very down-to-earth and kind. Easier said than done, but try not to worry!

Did they say anything about how full the class was? I'm interviewing in a few weeks!

I've recently been accepted. UNECOM was by far the most laid back, conversational interview I've had. I felt comfortable and relaxed, and my interviewers were very down-to-earth and kind. Easier said than done, but try not to worry!
Thank you so much for the reassurance. The great conversation felt good at the time, but now I can't stop overanalyzing.
I can't wait for it to be 3 weeks from now.

Did they say anything about how full the class was? I'm interviewing in a few weeks!
Unfortunately they did not say anything about how full the class is. I heard from a student that the waitlist doesn't start filling up until after January, so I bet there are still a lot of spots available.

Thank you so much for the reassurance. The great conversation felt good at the time, but now I can't stop overanalyzing.
I can't wait for it to be 3 weeks from now.

Unfortunately they did not say anything about how full the class is. I heard from a student that the waitlist doesn't start filling up until after January, so I bet there are still a lot of spots available.

Ok thank you! Hope you get the acceptance call soon!

Hey everyone. If you never received a complete email definitely call an admissions counselor and let them know. I did this recently and was given an II that same day. Don't know if this is a coincidence but thought I'd just let you know!