University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you guys joined the FB group yet? Looked at housing?
I'm contemplating on making a facebook now just for that..
@plateletfactor5 @KCCMadeline @DGCT00 @Pookie9000 (If you are already decided on UNECOM)

I have been boycotting FB for years, well since FB became FB...recently I have been thinking about joining so I can be in the UNECOM class of 2018 group. So no I have not joined the FB.

I currently live about 35 minutes from UNE, but might try and move closer this summer once my current lease is up. One of the issues you are going to see with housing around UNE is that it is all (not really all but alot) semester housing, so you have to be out during the summer. As a Maine resident I need to find a place that I can live year round.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plateletfactor5, where in Maine do you live? I am very familiar with Southern Maine because I have been going there during the summer since I was very young. Do you have any recommendations on how to go about looking for housing. I was planning on going to Osteoblast and while I am up there looking around the area for potential housing options. Being from the area, how would you best recommend looking for housing and generally how far in advance would you recommend looking? I remember at my interview that one of the students said that an issue with housing )particularly fall semester is that a lot of leases start September 1st after vacation season and I believe we have to be there end of July- beginning of August.

I've been looking through different sites for apartments around UNE and a lot of them say "1 year lease required, available now" so I'm hesitant to contact the real estate agents and saying that I need the apartment in 5 months lol.
@KCCMadeline , I'm looking to go Osteoblast too for the same reasons :) Maybe I'll see you there!
@plateletfactor5, I boycotted Facebook too. Though I heard that that's how everyone basically shares everything like housing options, notes and book pdf's,etc. So probably will open one after giving in my 2nd deposit!

I quite facebook too about 2 years ago but I'll be rejoining soon too as I heard from a lot of people about how useful it is for communicating with classmates. Putting it off as long as possible though haha. I'm still awaiting a decision on my state school but otherwise i'm fairly sure i'll be at UNE!

Plateletfactor5, where in Maine do you live? I am very familiar with Southern Maine because I have been going there during the summer since I was very young. Do you have any recommendations on how to go about looking for housing. I was planning on going to Osteoblast and while I am up there looking around the area for potential housing options. Being from the area, how would you best recommend looking for housing and generally how far in advance would you recommend looking? I remember at my interview that one of the students said that an issue with housing )particularly fall semester is that a lot of leases start September 1st after vacation season and I believe we have to be there end of July- beginning of August.

I currently live in Yarmouth, which with the way I drive is about 30-35 minutes from UNE.
I have lived in alot of places and Maine seems to be different in the way apts come up for rent. I generally use CL, or just look for apt complexes in the area...if you use CL right now around UNE you can find "UNE student rentals" which are houses that are only open for rent during the semester because they are summer homes, and the owner makes more money renting it to vacationers during the summer. Or you find places that are by the year, but are available RIGHT NOW and not much use unless you can move in right away.

I would start looking ASAP, but really focus your search 1 to 2 months before you plan on moving up here.

Here are 2 places you might want to look at:
http://www.sacofallsmanagement.com/rental/property/the-mill-at-saco-falls
http://www.pepperellmillcampus.com/apartments/

Both have heat included which is very awesome.

Thanks for the advice plateletfactor5! I will take a look at these.

Not trying to make things weird but...

I'll be attending UNECOM starting this fall and am looking for a (male) roommate. I'm not sure where to start looking but I'll more than likely attend Osteoblast this April to search as well. Feel free to message me if anyone is interested!

Not trying to make things weird but...

I'll be attending UNECOM starting this fall and am looking for a (male) roommate. I'm not sure where to start looking but I'll more than likely attend Osteoblast this April to search as well. Feel free to message me if anyone is interested!

Join the UNECOM 2018 Facebook group and there are other guys looking for roommates as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard back about my Jan 29 interview yet...

Interviewed 1/21, accepted 2/7. Will be declining the offer, unfortunately. I was really excited about UNECOM but I have another offer it is hard for me to turn down. I hope someone still waiting gets my seat!

To those who will be matriculating: eat some lobster rolls for me.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 1/21, accepted 2/7. Will be declining the offer, unfortunately. I was really excited about UNECOM but I have another offer it is hard for me to turn down. I hope someone still waiting gets my seat!

To those who will be matriculating: eat some lobster rolls for me.

Congratulations and good luck with the other offer!

Interviewed Jan 30th and still waiting. The anxiety is building! Hopefully today or tomorrow.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1393512936.247454.jpg
then we will all be accepted! Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected today -- "No Interview Granted" -- after sending in an e-mail asking to withdraw my application about a week ago. Either this is their way of acknowledging my withdrawal orrrr... they don't like me so much.

Despite how much I enjoyed visiting the school, they sure are terrible at communicating. I don't think I've received a response to a single e-mail, and most of my phone calls went unanswered. Good luck to the rest of you :)

Rejected today -- "No Interview Granted" -- after sending in an e-mail asking to withdraw my application about a week ago. Either this is their way of acknowledging my withdrawal orrrr... they don't like me so much.

Despite how much I enjoyed visiting the school, they sure are terrible at communicating. I don't think I've received a response to a single e-mail, and most of my phone calls went unanswered. Good luck to the rest of you :)

Maybe that was their response to your application withdrawal email? I've always gotten a response to my emails (although it was in response to an interview and acceptace which they asked me to confirm) and the lady I spoke to when I called was very nice and helpful.

Goodluck in your endeavors!

January 23rd still waiting.. Getting anxious!!

You may want to call and find out if they have reached a decisions on your file. I know several of my friends have done this. You've been waiting over a month a this point. They might even be able to tell you when they plan to review your file if it hasn't been already.

You may want to call and find out if they have reached a decisions on your file. I know several of my friends have done this. You've been waiting over a month a this point. They might even be able to tell you when they plan to review your file if it hasn't been already.
Thanks! I actually talked to Lisa about a week ago and she said a decision would be made Monday (the 24th). So I'm expecting to hear something today or tomorrow!

Same email received. Agree on the poor communication - could never speak with anyone.

Did like the campus and location, close to my current location in Boston, but ended up committing elsewhere.

...thought the lack of communication made the christmas card a little tacky...

Same email received. Agree on the poor communication - could never speak with anyone.

Did like the campus and location, close to my current location in Boston, but ended up committing elsewhere.

...thought the lack of communication made the christmas card a little tacky...
Totally agree (re: location and campus). I have also committed elsewhere.

I didn't get a card from UNE, but did get one from Netter SOM @ Quinnipiac. I've had similar silence from them :p, but they actually have an excuse being new and swamped with many more applications than they expected.

Just got my email, accepted space available. Disappointed but I will be praying a spot opens for me!!!

Just got my email, accepted space available. Disappointed but I will be praying a spot opens for me!!!
Same here! I guess we will just have to keep staying positive!

Anyone know chances of getting in of ASA list?
One of my friend who is currently a first year there told me that they have a lot of movement on the ASA list and there's a big chance of getting of the wait list. Worst come to worst we will just go there next year I guess!

One of my friend who is currently a first year there told me that they have a lot of movement on the ASA list and there's a big chance of getting of the wait list. Worst come to worst we will just go there next year I guess!

I'm in the same position, and I heard similar stuff about the ASA list. I wouldn't mind starting in 2015. I really loved UNECOM, so whenever I get to go, that's when I'll go :) we're gonna be physicians!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same position, and I heard similar stuff about the ASA list. I wouldn't mind starting in 2015. I really loved UNECOM, so whenever I get to go, that's when I'll go :) we're gonna be physicians!!
Yes!! I will wait until next year too this is my absolute top choice!!! Either way we never have to go through applying to medical school again!! Yay! Congrats to you guys!! Pray for movement!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how they notify people? Do they wait until May to accept people off the list or is it done on a rolling basis?

Yes!! I will wait until next year too this is my absolute top choice!!! Either way we never have to go through applying to medical school again!! Yay! Congrats to you guys!! Pray for movement!!

AMEN to never going through this application process again!!

Reactions: 1 users

I got the same email!!!!!!! I will totally wait until 2015 too! I love UNECOM. I couldn't see myself anywhere else. Heres to hoping we all get off the ASA list!

Last edited:
I submitted my application about 2 1/2 months ago and I haven't heard anything from them since. Do they do silent rejections here or should I just keep being patient?

I submitted my application about 2 1/2 months ago and I haven't heard anything from them since. Do they do silent rejections here or should I just keep being patient?

Some of my friends have received pre-interview rejections already. I know they interview until April or May, even if the class is conditionally full. So maybe you are still in the running for a late interview. Honestly I would call the admission office or send Lisa Lane an email. They are really helpful and are usually open about where your application stands.

For those of you matriculating, why did you pick UNE over other choices?

Anyone is planning to attend the OsteoBlast ? Its on April 12, 2014. If theres anyone from Connecticut want to go together please let me know, thank you!

So is it safe to assume that if you interviewed in january and have heard nothing, it is a silent rejection?

Anyone is planning to attend the OsteoBlast ? Its on April 12, 2014. If theres anyone from Connecticut want to go together please let me know, thank you!

I was planning to, though reading this from their website...

"This year, invited guests will come to the campus for the OsteoBlast! celebration on April 12, 2014. "

..I am wondering if it is invite only perhaps?

I was planning to, though reading this from their website...

"This year, invited guests will come to the campus for the OsteoBlast! celebration on April 12, 2014. "

..I am wondering if it is invite only perhaps?
That's a good point I'll find out from my friend and let you know!

I got the impression that Osteoblast was not just for accepted students, but for accepted and still prospective students.
I guess whoever calls and finds out can settle it :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a clinical rotation elective abroad? I recall during the interview day that they briefly talked about the ability to go abroad but was this actually for rotations or just during the summer for a random trip?

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a clinical rotation elective abroad? I recall during the interview day that they briefly talked about the ability to go abroad but was this actually for rotations or just during the summer for a random trip?

I think the rotations need to be at a specifically UNE-approved site, i.e. in New England...not positive though

I got the impression that Osteoblast was not just for accepted students, but for accepted and still prospective students.
I guess whoever calls and finds out can settle it :)
I just asked my friend, he is a current student there and he is also a coordinator for the Osteoblast at UNE, he said anyone can come even thought you are not accepted.