University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just asked my friend, he is a current student there and he is also a coordinator for the Osteoblast at UNE, he said anyone can come even thought you are not accepted.

Thanks! How about family, are they welcome or is this specifically for incoming/prospective students?

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew my acceptance a few days ago from UNE. I hope that one of you guys get the opportunity to attend this outstanding institution. If you have any questions regarding interview, feel free to pm me. Good luck :)

Accepted to the class of 2018!
(As long as I pass biochem)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to the class of 2018!
(As long as I pass biochem)

Congrats! When were you accepted? I thought as of last week the class was full because people were being put on the ASA list?

Received II, can someone PM or tell me more about their interview experience or what to expect about Maine and the school? So excitedddd

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! When were you accepted? I thought as of last week the class was full because people were being put on the ASA list?
Thank you!
I received an email from Lisa on February 27.
Haven't heard anything as far as the class being filled up though.

Thanks! How about family, are they welcome or is this specifically for incoming/prospective students?
My friend said that you can def bring families, in fact a lot of students brought families in the past!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!
I received an email from Lisa on February 27.
Haven't heard anything as far as the class being filled up though.
Congratulations!I guess some of us got wait listed and some got the few seats left on the same day. It's all good! We are all going to medical school in the end!

Reactions: 3 users
My friend said that you can def bring families, in fact a lot of students brought families in the past!

I was thinking about asking my fiance to go with me to OsteoBlast. I want him to feel like part of the whole experience from the beginning since he plans to move to Maine with me. Does anyone else plan on the bringing spouses or family? I just don't want to be the only one who shows up with family!

I was thinking about asking my fiance to go with me to OsteoBlast. I want him to feel like part of the whole experience from the beginning since he plans to move to Maine with me. Does anyone else plan on the bringing spouses or family? I just don't want to be the only one who shows up with family!

I was thinking about it too, especially since they have clubs that are for the "spouses of medical students" where the "spouses" all get together and do stuff. I heard they had a couple of clubs that were like this when I went to the open house, the school itself seems like a very family oriented program.

Also, I sent in my 2nd deposit and got a reply that mentioned that they (they being the Constituent Services office) is preparing information packets for incoming students.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm probably gonna end up bringing my family so we could look at apartments together. If they cant make it, definitely taking my SO.

I was thinking about it too, especially since they have clubs that are for the "spouses of medical students" where the "spouses" all get together and do stuff. I heard they had a couple of clubs that were like this when I went to the open house, the school itself seems like a very family oriented program.

+1, was also thinking of bringing my bf

Received an email from them this morning placing me on the ASA list. Interviewed 2/18.

I inquired about the ASA list today and asked if the class was completely full. Apparently there are a few spots reserved in the class for extremely exceptional students, but basically the class is complete full at this point. I was told that in May all those students on the ASA list will be ranked into 4 tiers and then they will pull students from there.

gurhhhh. I was so excited for interview here. Now this!!.

Still be excited! Do your best and I bet there will be some movement on that list. Dare them not to accept you.

You should still be excited! It is such an accomplishment to even get an interview! Plus the ASA list isn't rolling so it doesn't matter when you interview you could still get ranked really high and be pulled off the list early! or maybe you will be one of the exceptional ones who gets one of the spots still remaining! you never know :)

What's your stat and how was the interview?

ME resident
30 MCAT
3.65sGPA
3.8cGPA

The interview was decent. They primarily asked questions about my file and for specific examples to support claims I made in the interview and in my application.

Just got the email invitation for Oseteo Blast, anyone is going from CT?

Just got the email invitation for Oseteo Blast, anyone is going from CT?

Same. I just got the pre-invite. :) I'm so excited, but unfortunately it is the same week where I will be across the country far-far-far away. :(

ME resident
30 MCAT
3.65sGPA
3.8cGPA

The interview was decent. They primarily asked questions about my file and for specific examples to support claims I made in the interview and in my application.

Same! That was impression as well.

It was kind of funny because their first question to me was "So, you took advanced organic chemistry. What was that like" And I was confused because that wasn't a class I took at all haha..

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a clinical rotation elective abroad? I recall during the interview day that they briefly talked about the ability to go abroad but was this actually for rotations or just during the summer for a random trip?
You can do international elective rotations. The general impression I was given was that if you can find an international medical school willing to host you, that you could go there. They made it sound very flexible, and said they'd had a few students go to the UK, Ireland, and Canada if I remember correctly.

Might head up from CT for Osteoblast, but I dunno... I'd have to cash in the last of my PTO to go, and that's like throwing $800 away that I could use to pay for an apartment security deposit. I'm sure it'll be fun and insightful, but is it $800 worth of fun and insight?

post interview rejection today, pretty bummed about it. Was invited to osteoblast though and I might go to show that I am still interested and see what I can do to get in next year. Congrats to all who got in

Might head up from CT for Osteoblast, but I dunno... I'd have to cash in the last of my PTO to go, and that's like throwing $800 away that I could use to pay for an apartment security deposit. I'm sure it'll be fun and insightful, but is it $800 worth of fun and insight?

First year here, last year everything at osteoblast was repeated at orientation so you won't miss any important info if you don't go. The main point of osteoblast is to convince people who have been accepted elsewhere to come here. People find it useful for finding a place to live and an opportunity to meet potential roommates and future classmates. In my opinion def not worth $800 unless you're looking for a roommate and a house.

Seems like most people who have been accepted are OOS. Anyone else from Maine accepted on here?

When I went there the class size was ~ 75: 10-12 were from outside of NE, and the rest from NE. Those from NE about 6 were Mainiacs.

Does anyone know if UNECOM publishes anything on residency match stats? I can't find anything.

I just sent in my RSVP for Osteoblast!!

I just sent in my RSVP for Osteoblast!!

Me too! If they give us name tags (which seems like given) we should all put our SDN screen names on there so we can figure out who we have been talking to! :)

Me too! If they give us name tags (which seems like given) we should all put our SDN screen names on there so we can figure out who we have been talking to! :)

I would, if you guys will! Who else is going?

Found out I was placed in the ASA list this past Wed. I interviewed Feb. 25th. I hope there is some movement on the list this year! I'm excited that at least we're all guaranteed a spot in next year's class if we don't make it in this year. Love that they don't make this a pointless wait list.

Is anyone from CT thats going to the Osteoblast want to car pool and possibly share a room?

Found out I was placed in the ASA list this past Wed. I interviewed Feb. 25th. I hope there is some movement on the list this year! I'm excited that at least we're all guaranteed a spot in next year's class if we don't make it in this year. Love that they don't make this a pointless wait list.
Same. Is there usually no movement from the list? Yikes!

Same. Is there usually no movement from the list? Yikes!
I heard usually there are a lot of movements in mid May and a lot of ppl get accepted from the ASA list in the pass, so keep your hope up!

Hey everyone! I'm looking to get some advice from current UNECOM students about housing. I am currently on the wait list for another school and have a spot in UNECOM class of 2018. I really love both schools but the school I am on the wait list for is significantly less expensive and so I would choose that school if accepted. The problem is however I prob won't hear if I get a spot in the school until June and as late as July. Therefore, I don't really feel comfortable committing to a housing arrangement in Maine until June or July. I am going to osteoblast and was planning on using the weekend to scout out the area for potential housing but as stated already I can't commit. Are there going to be any good housing options if I wait this long? I know another problem is that a lot of rentals don't start until Sept 1st and we have to be in Maine end of July. If I am scrabbling for housing in June or July am I not going to be able to find any rentals that start soon enough? Any advice of what to do in this situation would be very much appreciated! Also what are the names of some rental places people usually go through. THanks!!

Hey everyone! I'm looking to get some advice from current UNECOM students about housing. I am currently on the wait list for another school and have a spot in UNECOM class of 2018. I really love both schools but the school I am on the wait list for is significantly less expensive and so I would choose that school if accepted. The problem is however I prob won't hear if I get a spot in the school until June and as late as July. Therefore, I don't really feel comfortable committing to a housing arrangement in Maine until June or July. I am going to osteoblast and was planning on using the weekend to scout out the area for potential housing but as stated already I can't commit. Are there going to be any good housing options if I wait this long? I know another problem is that a lot of rentals don't start until Sept 1st and we have to be in Maine end of July. If I am scrabbling for housing in June or July am I not going to be able to find any rentals that start soon enough? Any advice of what to do in this situation would be very much appreciated! Also what are the names of some rental places people usually go through. THanks!!

+1...exact same situation

I am in the same situation...