University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! OOS. Interviewed 10/28. Could not be happier :heckyeah:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, that was a pretty quick turn around time for those interviewed on 10/28! What days of the week does the admissions committee meet to send out acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed on 11/23 as well. Officially got a place at a med school!!! Finally going to be a doctor!!

Reactions: 8 users
I interviewed 10/2! lol and am from AZ! This was my first choice :)

I hope I get your spot! I interviewed today in the afternoon and absolutely loved it. It did not disappoint at all! Now I have my thank you cards written and ready to mail before I get on my flight tomorrow! I hope to give you all good news in a few weeks!
Fingerscrossed3, you missed a freaking good show in Boston!

correct me if im wrong, but were you the lad that said he was gonna sleep in his car overnight? If so, how did that go?

correct me if im wrong, but were you the lad that said he was gonna sleep in his car overnight? If so, how did that go?
I did, and it was great! I went down to Boston, got some scallops at the Citizen Public House & Oyster Bar, went around Fenway Park, went in to the House of Blues, and then to the concert at the Church of Boston venue. Once the morning hours came along, I started driving back to the Portland jetport and pulled off to a rest stop to sleep. I woke up and walked around in some of the surrounding hills and took pictures like the one I've included below.
Basically, I tried to make it into a fun adventure instead of going back to a hotel & watching bad cable TV and crashing.
upload_2014-11-13_13-52-48.png

Reactions: 9 users
I did, and it was great! I went down to Boston, got some scallops at the Citizen Public House & Oyster Bar, went around Fenway Park, went in to the House of Blues, and then to the concert at the Church of Boston venue. Once the morning hours came along, I started driving back to the Portland jetport and pulled off to a rest stop to sleep. I woke up and walked around in some of the surrounding hills and took pictures like the one I've included below.
Basically, I tried to make it into a fun adventure instead of going back to a hotel & watching bad cable TV and crashing.
View attachment 186997

WOW!! That is so awesome!!

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 186997

lmao I can't lie, it sounds like you really did it up right. awesome

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 186997

Im so jealous. I loved the small town homey feel of Maine. I wish I got to explore it like you did.

Does anyone know where I can find the recent match lists for UNECOM? I can't seem to find it online. Thanks!

I saw a verygeneric list a few days ago (by specialty) but cant seemtofind it again. From personal ecperience with residents I worked with I do know they have had internal medicine matches to Maine Medical Center, Anesthesiology to Baystate Medical Center in Massachusetts, and some to Hartford Hospital in Connecticut in the last 5 years or so. Is anyone else here interviewing on December 4th?

I really wish they would offer me an interview. Trying not to get frustrated, but it's hard not to be.

I really wish they would offer me an interview. Trying not to get frustrated, but it's hard not to be.

You and me, both! Apparently, they are currently only offering interviews to students with mcat 26 or higher. An unfortunate heuristic, especially if you're an in-stater. Still hope for later in the cycle, though!

You and me, both! Apparently, they are currently only offering interviews to students with mcat 26 or higher. An unfortunate heuristic, especially if you're an in-stater. Still hope for later in the cycle, though!
I'm way above 26, I'm thinking it's because I'm from way down south. I have to make a deposit soon for the school I've been accepted to, so I'm hoping to hear before that deadline.

The frustration doesn't end after the interview. I know that I had a fantastic interview, and was able to show my interviewers that I was a great candidate, but that doesn't guarantee my spot and it is already driving me crazy. I'm analyzing every correspondence that I receive back from them and guessing my odds at being accepted, since the board of admissions takes everything into account when making their decision.
Not sure what the purpose of this post is, except to just reiterate how crappy this waiting game is.

Question during clerkship years (MS-3 and 4): Since the clinical campuses are widespread throughout the NE area, does that mean if you get assigned a certain location you move there for that year and spend your entire MS-3 and 4 at that site? can someone clear up info about MS-3 and 4 for me, thanks.

Me too. My mcat and grades are competitive for this school. Sent in my application and paid about a month ago. Hopefully soon....

Me too. My mcat and grades are competitive for this school. Sent in my application and paid about a month ago. Hopefully soon....

I hear ya. I have a feeling that they may be waiting for my new MCAT score to be released since my current score is on the low end of their average but my GPA is well above their stated average. Guess I thought that would average it out. How about some regional love!!

Question during clerkship years (MS-3 and 4): Since the clinical campuses are widespread throughout the NE area, does that mean if you get assigned a certain location you move there for that year and spend your entire MS-3 and 4 at that site? can someone clear up info about MS-3 and 4 for me, thanks.

thats essentially how years 3 and 4 work for a lot of schools, yea

This is a general question: When you get accepted to any school, should you/ do you notify the people that wrote you rec letters that you got in somewhere and thank them again?
Is it important/or should I update them ? or do you think they probably forgot and don't really care lol

This is a general question: When you get accepted to any school, should you/ do you notify the people that wrote you rec letters that you got in somewhere and thank them again?
Is it important/or should I update them ? or do you think they probably forgot and don't really care lol

I was wondering the same thing. I did for one of the schools because the doc that wrote my letter graduated from the school. I felt like I might be annoying them especially since they have already helped so much but then I put myself in their shoes and I think it would be nice to hear that their letters were a positive influence on your application.

I was wondering the same thing. I did for one of the schools because the doc that wrote my letter graduated from the school. I felt like I might be annoying them especially since they have already helped so much but then I put myself in their shoes and I think it would be nice to hear that their letters were a positive influence on your application.

awesome thank you! I will most likely just notify them about the first school and probably not any subsequent schools because at least they know I got accepted somewhere.

My letter writers pretty much demanded that I update them on my progress throughout the cycle. I mean, they go through all the trouble of writing the letter, so they want to know it had a positive impact. I just sent a generic email to all of them thanking them again and letting them know I got into UNECOM. They've all been really greatful to hear from me.

Yes I was always told to do this, I already have and it's nice to do, and it's nice to get responses on how proud they are of you and blah blah

anyone else have an interview tomorrow? heading to Maine tonight. This rain here in New England just makes it so miserable.

anyone else have an interview tomorrow? heading to Maine tonight. This rain here in New England just makes it so miserable.
You should probably keep opinions like that to yourself during the interview.

You enjoy the rain? I was referring to the day outside lol
Of course I enjoy the rain, it's refreshing. I'm just saying that I've had interviewers that really look to see if you would enjoy the area as well as the school. If you say that you love the school, but hate the weather that they have throughout the year, some interviewers will think that you would be better suited at a different school. Just looking out for you

Of course I enjoy the rain, it's refreshing. I'm just saying that I've had interviewers that really look to see if you would enjoy the area as well as the school. If you say that you love the school, but hate the weather that they have throughout the year, some interviewers will think that you would be better suited at a different school. Just looking out for you
ok Thank you. I am from New England so I am pretty used to this weather.

Hi all,

Just a random question. I know UNE recently opened up a campus in Tangier, Morocco - does anyone know if as a med student we have the opportunity to take a class or two there?

I interviewed 10/2! lol and am from AZ! This was my first choice :)
Wow, all the way from Arizona! I'm interested in this school bc I'd like to move to New England but I'm from georgia. Good to see someone so far oos getting an acceptance.

I didn't apply this cycle, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
interviewing here tomorrow!!! pm me if anyone wants to taxi with me to the airport after

Post interview wait is awful! So eager to find out :shrug:

Hey everyone,
I interviewed 10/2 and was accepted (wahoo!) I've just been accepted at LECOM too. Anyone else doing any comparisons between these two schools or been accepted to both too?? My heart for sure wants to go to UNECOM. I felt good on campus and loved my interactions with current students and professors when I interviewed. It just felt more homey than LECOM. If they were the same cost I would already have put down my deposit. But the cost difference is substantial so for that reason I'm trying to weigh my options carefully. I welcome any opinions or comments, especially from people in a similar boat!!

Hey everyone,
I interviewed 10/2 and was accepted (wahoo!) I've just been accepted at LECOM too. Anyone else doing any comparisons between these two schools or been accepted to both too?? My heart for sure wants to go to UNECOM. I felt good on campus and loved my interactions with current students and professors when I interviewed. It just felt more homey than LECOM. If they were the same cost I would already have put down my deposit. But the cost difference is substantial so for that reason I'm trying to weigh my options carefully. I welcome any opinions or comments, especially from people in a similar boat!!

There were a few of us who had that same decision at the end of October. There is a thread if you search for it, the title was unecom vs Lecom I believe. If you want to know the reasons that I personally chose UNECOM over LECOM please send me a PM!

Reactions: 2 users
Post-interview thoughts:
1. interview is really realxed and no surprise questions. Know your application well.
2. Students, faculty, and event he citizens of Saco/Biddeford are super nice. It seems contagious because everyone I met fromt he taxi driver to a student greeted me, and had a genuine conversation.
3. I did not have a chance to travel but I will believe that Saco/Portland are great locations during the summer for out door activities (many people confirmed this)
4. UNE campus is isolated from downtown Biddeford, where majority of students live and commute (yes a car seems to be required). I liked having a campus away from the city but the drive though 4 miles seems a lot longer.
5. The campus is 6 buildings. Very small and rural feel.
6. It was freezing but it seems to be that time of the year in New England, where I am from, anyways.

Post-interview thoughts:
1. interview is really realxed and no surprise questions. Know your application well.
2. Students, faculty, and event he citizens of Saco/Biddeford are super nice. It seems contagious because everyone I met fromt he taxi driver to a student greeted me, and had a genuine conversation.
3. I did not have a chance to travel but I will believe that Saco/Portland are great locations during the summer for out door activities (many people confirmed this)
4. UNE campus is isolated from downtown Biddeford, where majority of students live and commute (yes a car seems to be required). I liked having a campus away from the city but the drive though 4 miles seems a lot longer.
5. The campus is 6 buildings. Very small and rural feel.
6. It was freezing but it seems to be that time of the year in New England, where I am from, anyways.

Not to mention the campus rents out camping gear/kayaks and the like to students! What more could one possibly need?!

Hey everyone,
I interviewed 10/2 and was accepted (wahoo!) I've just been accepted at LECOM too. Anyone else doing any comparisons between
Hey everyone,

These are definitely two great schools for different reasons. I will highlight the pros for each one (that I have found) and hopefully that will help you in your decision.

LECOM
High COMLEX pass rate for all 3 steps
Sites for clinicals are a lot more diverse
I personally thought that there was a lot more to do with Erie being a bigger city, having a mall, and having your choice of driving to either Pittsburgh or Buffalo in an hour or two
Different pathways offered, tailoring your learning experience to what you feel you would do best in
Apartments available across the street. They say that a car is necessary, but if you got into one of these places, it wouldn't be all that bad without a vehicle. You would definitely save precious money without driving
Cheap tuition!!! It will save you about $20K a year

UNECOM
Centered on the idea that physicians will need to be a part of ACO's in the future, huge on cooperation between students & staff and students & peers
I felt like the school was part of a legitimate community or family while I was there. Everyone was so concerned about helping one another. And I think that attribute is priceless.
In-depth anatomy program that lasts a whole year
Group teaching - you are put in a group of 6 for the whole year according to your strengths & weaknesses to help balance one another out
Larger campus (not sure why this is a huge point for me, but I feel like I'd be more sane being able to walk between buildings)
I personally saw more diverse shops & restaurants in Biddeford & Saco (Chinese, Mexican, Thai, Japanese, Italian, seafood, et cetera), and I'm HUGE on food
A lot more service activities and groups. You're almost expected to take part of service groups

Both have cheaper living conditions than where I live, so that's a plus as well.

Anyways, that's what I got out of it. I personally like UNECOM better, but the savings at LECOM would be huge. Just remember that you determine what kind of physician you will be. You could go to the Caribbean with the right mentality and come back a fantastic doctor.
I hope my ramblings helped.

Reactions: 5 users