University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tomorrow is def the day guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think its mostly going to be next Tuesday because thats 3 weeks for me lol

By far the longest it's taken to hear from a school. :bang:

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else get a holiday e-card from UNECOM this afternoon?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking for advice here. I was wondering if i could email the admission office if they can switch my premedical adviser letter with another faculty letter. My file is incomplete when i submitted since I am waiting on another letter. So in the meantime can i request them to make this switch?

My premed adviser is an adviser but not my adviser, I tried to avoid my college's committee, he is some random dude i never met except once but med schools want composite/adviser letters so I had to get a bad/mediocre letter from him, he didnt seem to know a thing about me and didn't care.

Whereas I have one from my writing professor who wrote me a strong and amazing letter (english professor duh), and was so enthusiastic when I asked her. However when listing letter of references I stupidly forgot to include her since I was constantly thinking of putting in science professor's letters instead.

Would you guys know if they would allow the switch since my file is technically not complete yet but submitted?

Also did not receive the e-card. I hope that's not a bad sign lmao

Was hoping to get some news next week since it will be 3 weeks then, but judging from how long people been waiting, it doesn't seem very likely. Guess Thanksgiving delayed things a bit!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah no holiday e-card here. Welp, this can only mean rejection.

I thought everyone got the holiday card? I did and thought it was a consolation prize..lol!

I wouldn't read too much into whether you got an e-card or not. It could have just been a miscommunication between admissions and the office of constituent services who sent it. We won't know our application outcomes for sure until they explicitly tell us. Here it is anyhow for anyone who's curious! http://www.punchbowl.com/ecards/receive/eb98d6b3d78bbdb3caa7

Also, @manuibop, I wouldn't switch out any letters if I were you. It gives the wrong vibe. Just send the new letter as an additional letter.

Does anyone have an interview scheduled for January? I had to push back my interview date, just wondering if they are scheduling for jan yet

Sorry, a little late but ACCEPTED back in mid-November. Interviewed at the end of October.

Can a current student comment on whether or they like/dislike the setup (round table versus lecture hall) for lectures? Thanks!

Has anyone called to ask whats up with the Nov interview batch?

Has anyone called to ask whats up with the Nov interview batch?
I think you need to relax and just wait lol. Others have mentioned that it has taken them 6 weeks to hear back so just sit tight like the rest of us. But I have a feeling tomorrow is the day

Sitting tight here...tomorrow will be 7 weeks... I called last week and they said they were waiting to hear back from the Dean on a whole list of decision letters.....(of course he didn't say if I was on that list or not) lol...

Sitting tight here...tomorrow will be 7 weeks... I called last week and they said they were waiting to hear back from the Dean on a whole list of decision letters.....(of course he didn't say if I was on that list or not) lol...

lol one person makes all the final decisions?

Reactions: 2 users

7 weeks?? Oh wow. I thought my5 weeks was long enough ha

I do hope this week is the week. But I am not willing to call them to show my desperation. So far I have been waitlisted at places so I am really hoping on UNE for some regional love

lol one person makes all the final decisions?
The process is this: interviewers gauge how well you do in person and if you actually have the personal drive to become a doctor. They give their recommendations to the admissions committee, who then review the entire application and make their decisions. They then submit their choices to the dean who has the ultimate call to accept or veto the acceptance letters.
So just because you have great stats or because you had a great interview, that doesn't guarantee your acceptance, as you still have a few 'unseen' steps occur that are out of your hands.

+pity+Somehow I don't feel encouraged.....But I do appreciate the info....honestly I was super amazed to get an interview!

Last edited:

Wanted to post to let you know that you're not alone, as I have been waiting 8 weeks for a decision. Hopefully we will hear back soon.

So most of us who have received earlier acceptances have to turn in a deposit by Dec 14th to hold seats. That might be why they are holding on to the decision letters right now. It probably sucks to be in your positions right now, but I think all you can do is be patients. :/

+pity+Somehow I don't feel encouraged.....But I do appreciate the info....honestly I was super amazed to get an interview!
Ha! Sorry, I didn't mean for you to feel like I was tearing you down. That was just my own anxiety talking!

Ha! Sorry, I didn't mean for you to feel like I was tearing you down. That was just my own anxiety talking!
No no...for me this has always been the equivalent of a Hail Mary pass...lol...I'm 51 yo....if it doesn't happen now it's not going to! Either way it's been an interesting journey...

Bit the bullet and called lol. They said that they are waiting for the Dean to get back to them and decision letters will be sent out early next week

Reactions: 3 users
Bit the bullet and called lol. They said that they are waiting for the Dean to get back to them and decision letters will be sent out early next week
Thanks Iceman. So I guess they are waiting for the Dec 14 deposit deadline as mentioned above.

I was about to say the same thing, I just called today too! At least I can spend this week not checking my email obsessively, I'm sure I'll be much more productive at work.

have a deposit due on Dec. 14 here. Still have no idea where I want to go. :bang: Have an acceptance (and deposit paid) at LECOM. Still waiting from NYCOM. Should hear this week.

have a deposit due on Dec. 14 here. Still have no idea where I want to go. :bang: Have an acceptance (and deposit paid) at LECOM. Still waiting from NYCOM. Should hear this week.

i totally understand your sentiments. its not easy giving in that deposit...

So if you have the new grades coming in for summer and fall semester that were not on AACOMAS when you originally submitted, how do you update the school with your new grades? I need to send an updated official transcript?

oh wuff! If you've paid your $1500 deposit to LECOM, I'd say to keep it there since there's no refund on that hunk of money.

Has anyone received an rejections since mid November? If so, maybe this is good news for the rest of us that are waiting?

ill repeat, these deposits should honestly be illegal. it's disgusting that students often have to base their school decisions on these outrageous deposits

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, I just sent my deposit in. I'm just going to hide my credit card for a few weeks, so that I don't go over the limit while the transaction takes 2 weeks to process.

So if you have the new grades coming in for summer and fall semester that were not on AACOMAS when you originally submitted, how do you update the school with your new grades? I need to send an updated official transcript?

From what I have heard, grades are not update letter worthy. Update them in aacomas, and that's it.

Yeehaw!! I got a Christmas card from UNE! For some reason that made my day! Lol

I got the holiday ecard email!. I finally feel special

Even those of us on pre-interview hold got the e-card.