University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^^ exactly same wording in my email. Haven't heard a peep since October.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the same email, but instead of reminding me to finish my app they said they'd "love to see me as part of the campus and they know I've heard from admissions about my completed application, happy holidays to me, and they will be in contact." Seemed like a positive email? I mean I haven't even heard if I'm on pre interview hold or not from them yet?

I have been told I'm on pre-interview hold. I'm not a fan of the wording, and everybody probably received it.

Does anyone know what percentage of UNECOM's graduating class is matched to a residency right after graduation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, so does anyone know what would be the best time to go house hunting around UNECOM?

Reactions: 1 users
Jumping into Do apps super late... do y'all think I'm too late in the game or do I still stand a chance for consideration?

Jumping into Do apps super late... do y'all think I'm too late in the game or do I still stand a chance for consideration?
I think too late. Just wait a few months and start fresh in the first week of June. And more interviewees are getting wait-listed at this stage of the cycle

It's quiet...too quiet...anybody with MCAT below 26 get an interview yet?

It's quiet...too quiet...anybody with MCAT below 26 get an interview yet?

I haven't heard anything since I completed my secondary. I emailed them in December about my status and they said I'm still under review

Just wanted to share some info from admissions since I had inquired about it. In the past, UNECOM has used an "accepted space available" (ASA) list for students that were essentially waitlisted, but had a guaranteed spot for the following year. I'm not sure if the ASA list was reserved for qualified applicants who interviewed later in the season after the class was full and maybe there was also a separate waitlist for those that interviewed earlier?...that's very unclear to me and probably just speculation. Regardless, I was told this year there will only be a traditional waitlist. Still holding out hope for waitlist movement soon!
Interesting, as of now there are obviously spots left right? Like a significant number of spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone planning on attending the UNECOM reception in Portland on Feb. 5?

for those who have been accepted, have they started sending out financial aid package or school related material ? I was out of the country for a few weeks, and my dad lost my mails= =

for those who have been accepted, have they started sending out financial aid package or school related material ? I was out of the country for a few weeks, and my dad lost my mails= =
Talked with them yesterday ...they have not yet started doing anything with Fall 2015 financial aid....when they do you will get an award letter in an email...she didn't say when they would start...

I spoke with someone last week. They will be sending out a welcome packet at the end of the month, vaccinations, important dates etc. Classes start August 5, orientation is Aug 3 and 4.
I also asked about financial aide info, and she said they don't send that stuff out until March/April. But you can always call the financial aide office if you need to, which I plan to do after filing my taxes and doing my fafsa.

I haven't sent in my full deposit yet, but am leaning heavily towards UNECOM. Could any students who commute from Portland to the COM comment on their experience? I see there is a shuttle. Does your schedule as a Med student make this a possibility to use or are you a different time table completely.

Hi, so does anyone know what would be the best time to go house hunting around UNECOM?
There's an event called osteoblast in April when you get invited to come to the school for the day to hear about what your life will be like for the next 2 years, it's a great time for house hunting. Also, I know in past years there has been a google doc made by the second years that are leaving for rotations. It was on our facebook page so keep an eye out for it.

I haven't sent in my full deposit yet, but am leaning heavily towards UNECOM. Could any students who commute from Portland to the COM comment on their experience? I see there is a shuttle. Does your schedule as a Med student make this a possibility to use or are you a different time table completely.
I don't commute, but I know that a shuttle to the portland campus was started this year. Originally it did not coincide with med school schedule, but they changed it this semester. I don't know all of the specific times but I know it can get you here for 8:00 class and there is one that leaves at the end of the school day, around 5:30. I think it takes 40 min, but it has wifi on it, our pharm prof takes it and loves it. Lots of people that live in portland carpool.

I do plan on attending the reception, although I have not yet received an invite.... although I did last year. Has anyone else mot yet been invited?

When is the next tuition deposit date? Waitlister here

You could give it a shot. UNECOM has a laaaaaaaaaaaate cycle, and admissions aren't considered on a rolling basis, unlike many other schools. If you send in a good app, it doesn't go to the bottom of the pile, it goes right to the top. Will you stand a good chance? No. Will you stand a chance? Yes.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who's coming up and wants to explore, I'd recommend hitting up the Old Port in Portland- the food and nightlife is great.

Also Run of the Mill is really good in Biddeford if you're just looking to grab lunch and/or a beer. Other than that, I haven't eaten around Biddeford much, I mostly cook my own food, and it really isn't the place for nightlife- that all goes down in Portland.

Early-mid Feb for those who turned in their 1st deposit around December deadline date.

From UNE's website:

Deadlines for submitting initial non-refundable deposit ($500.00) to hold place in the class follow the AACOMAS traffic guidelines:

• Accepted prior to November 15th – Deposit deadline is December 14th
  • Accepted between November 15th and January 14th – Deposit deadline will be 30 days after acceptance
  • Accepted between January 15th and May 14th – Deposit deadline will be 14 days after acceptance
  • Accepted after May 15th – Asked for immediate deposit
Additional refundable deposit ($1,500.00) which is first tuition installment is due 60 days from receipt of first deposit:

• Tuition installment refundable until June 1st after which it is forfeited if student does not matriculate
  • Initial deposit is not refundable and will be forfeited if student does not matriculate

Has anyone received an interview invite in the last two months? I've heard back (in terms of interviews) from all the other osteopathic schools except this one. The silence is killing me.

Prospective students - look at the weather channel right now! Sure you want to lay down that deposit? ;)

Haha! It's crazy!

Last edited:
Haha so true about the name. I spent 20 minutes cleaning the snow off my car yesterday haha. How did everyone else here fare with the storm?

Wow finding housing is quite the dilemma in this area of Maine due to the summer and winter rentals! I dont want to move every 7 months and have two dogs! sighhhhhh

Seems like the only rentals are 12 month Ones..

I wish I could even find 12 month ones (maybe it's the dog thing) IDK. When interviewing I got the idea that cost of living isn't too terrible, but now that I'm looking its a bit more than I expected- and difficult because in the summer everywhere rents by the week.

Has the university helped you look for housing at all or are you just going on your own?

So, I had my interview here on the 20th, and I absolutely loved it here. I was just wondering, is there a portal or something we can use to check our status? And also, how long is the post-interview wait? This wait is killing me slowly...:barf:

Has the university helped you look for housing at all or are you just going on your own?

They have a page on their school website with housing listings (just like a craigslist), but all listing are from over 1 year ago so it's not updated. I called for help and they just referred me back to this page.

Oh well though, hopefully as I get closer to the start of the school year more will be available.:xf:

Oh well though, hopefully as I get closer to the start of the school year more will be available.:xf:

I get the feeling that all of the MS2's will be looking to pass on their apartments toward the spring/summer, and we'll hear about plenty of options.

They have a page on their school website with housing listings (just like a craigslist), but all listing are from over 1 year ago so it's not updated. I called for help and they just referred me back to this page.

Yea that one is useless, at the end of the school year there will be a google doc on your unecom facebook page with all of the places the second years will be moving out of (most of which will be june-june, july-july or august-august)

I wish I could even find 12 month ones (maybe it's the dog thing) IDK. When interviewing I got the idea that cost of living isn't too terrible, but now that I'm looking its a bit more than I expected- and difficult because in the summer everywhere rents by the week.

There are tons of 12 month places all over biddo and saco, but they won't be listed until the spring/summer. Cost of living isn't bad at all, I know of some people paying $450 not including heat/electricity/water (not sure where you're from but I was used to paying $1200+). Some people couch surf until after labor day when all of the beach rentals become per month and then leave as soon as school is out in may.

Guys- its JANUARY, you aren't going to find housing for june/july/august right now.

Has anyone started the financial aid process yet? Like filing FAFSA for this school? I had couple of questions I wanted to ask and was wondering if anyone had some information about it.

Anyone who heard back after their interview... are they true to their word when they say 3-4 weeks?

Yea that one is useless, at the end of the school year there will be a google doc on your unecom facebook page with all of the places the second years will be moving out of (most of which will be june-june, july-july or august-august)

There are tons of 12 month places all over biddo and saco, but they won't be listed until the spring/summer. Cost of living isn't bad at all, I know of some people paying $450 not including heat/electricity/water (not sure where you're from but I was used to paying $1200+). Some people couch surf until after labor day when all of the beach rentals become per month and then leave as soon as school is out in may.

Guys- its JANUARY, you aren't going to find housing for june/july/august right now.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't expecting to find housing right now. But as I am moving 3000 miles away I was looking into the costs and apartments and stuff to get an idea now. And many people sign 12 month leases and lots of apartments will know when people's leases will be up. I pay about $400 in rent in Arizona, for a house. I am hoping I won't be paying too much more than that, and I am not seeing any prices whatsoever under $900 even for apartments. That's all.

Anyone who heard back after their interview... are they true to their word when they say 3-4 weeks?
That depends on how preoccupied the administration is with other tasks (i.e. ceremonies, symposia, etc.). I was given the 3-4 week timeframe after interviewing in September. It was well into the fifth week that I finally received my acceptance letter.

I suggest you use the wait time to quantify all of the neuroses arising as a result of the application cycle. Oh, personal discovery...

Thanks for the info, I wasn't expecting to find housing right now. But as I am moving 3000 miles away I was looking into the costs and apartments and stuff to get an idea now. And many people sign 12 month leases and lots of apartments will know when people's leases will be up. I pay about $400 in rent in Arizona, for a house. I am hoping I won't be paying too much more than that, and I am not seeing any prices whatsoever under $900 even for apartments. That's all.
$400! Wow..that's awesome...in Florida you can't get anything decent under $1000! I wonder what the financial aid will come out to be, and what kind of job I can get to supplement my income! Lol...

$400! Wow..that's awesome...in Florida you can't get anything decent under $1000! I wonder what the financial aid will come out to be, and what kind of job I can get to supplement my income! Lol...

Hopefully arewethereyet is correct and we can find housing cheaper than $1000! From what I remember from the interview, UNE students get $25,000/year for living expenses. That would be difficult for me with $1000+ rent per month. After taxes, that is about what I currently make working in a research lab, and I struggle paying my $400/month rent and all my bills with that income! lol

Any recent II? I hope UNECOM can reject me directly if I am not competitive....

Still waiting as well, submitted early September