University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can a current student comment on whether or they like/dislike the setup (round table versus lecture hall) for lectures?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Interview invite for 2/19 complete 11/11. My pride no longer hurts but my bank account is starting too.

Reactions: 1 user
Can a current student comment on whether or they like/dislike the setup (round table versus lecture hall) for lectures?

Thanks!

Personally, I'm not a huge fan if for no other reason than the windows are all usually shut so you don't really see the sun for 4 hours. Some professors really love that they can walk around, but most just stand at the podium at the front. One random cool thing is that MLK spoke there back in the day on his only or first or something important visit to Maine.

Anyways, to answer your question, it's kinda weird, but you get used to it because you have to. One nice thing is that it's one of the few places on campus that is really ours so it kinda feels like home base at the beginning. Some people study there- all of the walls are white boards. Seeing the presentation isn't a problem except for a select few seats because there are 6 screens onto which the presentation is projected.

One of my favorite things about UNECOM is that lectures are recorded so I can watch them at my own accord (apparently we didn't used to do that and some other schools don't do that). I LOVE being able to watch the lectures at whatever speed I want, pause to look things up or write things down and take breaks when I want to. First year most people went to most lectures, these days in second year I'm told there is a consistent following of maybe 40ish people.

TL;DR It's definitely not a make or break situation, it's just different.

Members don't see this ad :)
3-4 weeks seems about right. Is everyone ready for more snow this week? Lol:smack:

Accepted off waitlist today! Interviewed on Nov. 20th. Really came as a surprise as I didn't send any update to the admissions.

Can anyone direct me to the class facebook page? And how early do people usually start looking for housing?

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off waitlist today! Interviewed on Nov. 20th. Really came as a surprise as I didn't send any update to the admissions.

Can anyone direct me to the class facebook page? And how early do people usually start looking for housing?
Updates at most schools generally go directly into the trash. I'm not saying that happens here, just that, unless you did something really big, most schools don't care. If you're on the waitlist, you're up for consideration until the end of the cycle, and might get that call at any time.

A lot of people look at it as a rejection, but remember that only 1 out of 3 accepted students will actually attend, so the waitlist sees a lot of movement once a lot of other schools hit their deposit. To anyone that's on the waitlist, don't lose hope.

When will UNECOM begin to send out pre-interview rejections? Anyone knows? Thanks in advance.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan if for no other reason than the windows are all usually shut so you don't really see the sun for 4 hours. Some professors really love that they can walk around, but most just stand at the podium at the front. One random cool thing is that MLK spoke there back in the day on his only or first or something important visit to Maine.

Anyways, to answer your question, it's kinda weird, but you get used to it because you have to. One nice thing is that it's one of the few places on campus that is really ours so it kinda feels like home base at the beginning. Some people study there- all of the walls are white boards. Seeing the presentation isn't a problem except for a select few seats because there are 6 screens onto which the presentation is projected.

One of my favorite things about UNECOM is that lectures are recorded so I can watch them at my own accord (apparently we didn't used to do that and some other schools don't do that). I LOVE being able to watch the lectures at whatever speed I want, pause to look things up or write things down and take breaks when I want to. First year most people went to most lectures, these days in second year I'm told there is a consistent following of maybe 40ish people.

TL;DR It's definitely not a make or break situation, it's just different.

Thanks! Very helpful. Is it difficult finding places to study on campus?

Yea that one is useless, at the end of the school year there will be a google doc on your unecom facebook page with all of the places the second years will be moving out of (most of which will be june-june, july-july or august-august)

There are tons of 12 month places all over biddo and saco, but they won't be listed until the spring/summer. Cost of living isn't bad at all, I know of some people paying $450 not including heat/electricity/water (not sure where you're from but I was used to paying $1200+). Some people couch surf until after labor day when all of the beach rentals become per month and then leave as soon as school is out in may.

Guys- its JANUARY, you aren't going to find housing for june/july/august right now.

So ideally when is the best time to look for housing?

So..... I've lived in a town of 10k my whole life is there anybody that can help me get to the AMTRAK on the 18th in Boston? I'm redeyeing it from Denver to catch the 11:35 train so I have more time to explore. So if anyone wants to be a pal and make sure on your interview day the farm kid is there let me know. It would be beyond appreciated!

Interviewed 1/20, Wait listed today 2/5 ... rough

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how the waitlist movement is...really hoping they make moves, I really want to go to this school. Does anyone know?

I am going to decline my acceptance (my second deposit was due next week). It was a hard decision because it was a great school! Hopefully it goes to someone on the waitlist!!! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I am going to decline my acceptance (my second deposit was due next week). It was a hard decision because it was a great school! Hopefully it goes to someone on the waitlist!!! Good luck everyone!
me please

Okay so email for sure... I only have a 3.3 so is it safe to assume I'll be waitlisted at best (interviewed on the 21st)? :D And a 27 mcat... and nowhere near new England. However the rest of my app is very strong.
I haven't seen many acceptances on SDN since December. If you go back a few pages, it's mostly been waitlists. I think the admissions are handing out less and less acceptances since it's almost the end of the cycle. Unless you are a really all round stellar applicant, there is a high possibility that you will be waitlisted. But it seems that there is ongoing movement on the waitlist (as I was just accepted yesterday), and there will be more and more movement in the coming months as most people decide on one school.

I haven't seen many acceptances on SDN since December. If you go back a few pages, it's mostly been waitlists. I think the admissions are handing out less and less acceptances since it's almost the end of the cycle. Unless you are a really all round stellar applicant, there is a high possibility that you will be waitlisted. But it seems that there is ongoing movement on the waitlist (as I was just accepted yesterday), and there will be more and more movement in the coming months as most people decide on one school.
I see. But they are giving out 3 acceptances for each seat. 175 spots - 50-60 people from last years ASA waiting list = ~120 seats for this year = 360 offers must go out.

Waitlists... I would hang on. As someone mentioned, they haven't handed out whole lot of acceptances just yet. And out of all the acceptances that were given, many probably haven't completely committed to this school yet.

Try to keep your sanity. :)

edit. This was before coffee. Fixed my grammar. XD

Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed on 1/22 heard?? I have a huge deposit due at another school in a week and a half, and I loved UNECOM so much more than that school! Would love some info from UNECOM before I write that check :yawn:

Got an email this morning about delays in reviews because of the weather. However my phone only shows previews of emails and was 90% sure it was a rejection email until I read it. So despite the delay I am taking it as good news!

Post interview and I was complete in November very strong ties to maine and New England resident

What? what do you mean? I submitted in Late July early August primary and dont remember when i submitted secondary prob like September

Can you please mention when you applies/interviewed/waitlisted/stats ?

Thank you!
I am a re-applicant. I interviewed last year but I wasn't accepted. I submitted my application in october, interviewed in november, and was wait listed late november/early december. cumulative GPA above 3.7, Science GPA above 3.7, and MCAT above 30

Any new IIs lately? Does anyone know if they are receptive to phone calls for status checks?

Got an interview invite last week! (2/10) Date is for March 5th, though I'm not sure if I will attend the interview yet. Hoping that someone on here has also looked at LECOM-Bradenton, as that's my other option at this point in time! Any comparisons to LECOM-B or pros/cons for UNECOM? Thanks!!

Accepted off the waitlist today. Interviewed mid November.

Reactions: 5 users
Got an interview invite last week! (2/10) Date is for March 5th, though I'm not sure if I will attend the interview yet. Hoping that someone on here has also looked at LECOM-Bradenton, as that's my other option at this point in time! Any comparisons to LECOM-B or pros/cons for UNECOM? Thanks!!
I was at LECOM-B last week and headed to UNE. I'll do the best I can after my interview Thursday!

Congrats to you guys getting in off the WL. I'm hoping to hear some good news myself soon!

Accepted from the Wait List today as well :) Interviewed early December. Non-traditional student from New England with a very unique background.

Congrats on the acceptance! Do you both mind sharing your stats?

Sure, my case is complicated tho lol. I made my decision to attend medical school after I already had been in the medical field and had two associates degrees before going for my bachelors. Overall my gpa was 3.7ish and my science was 3.6ish. I took the MCAT a few times, eventually bringing my score from 21 to 30. My story is a bit more complicated with family medical issues during my bachelors. I am a very non-traditional candidate so Im not sure how much help this will be. I am also a reapplicant. Good luck to everyone else. I was told there tends to be a good amount of movement on the wait list, with rapid movement in May.

Last edited:
For any current students here, how do you like the circular tables as opposed to an amphitheater for lecture?

Made the decision to turn down the offer at UNECOM for another university. Hope my acceptance can go to one of you, best of luck to you all!

Withdrew the offer today as well. Hope those on waitlist will get some good news today.

Reactions: 1 users