University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wondering if there are any current UNECOM students (from Maine) on this forum that might be able to answer a few questions about Maine based loans for medical school. Has anyone applied for/received loans from the Maine Medical Education Foundation Loan Program? It seems to have much better interest rates than say the Graduate Plus loan, but I wonder if there are so downfalls to utilizing a private loan. It has a 0% interest rate while in school and then a tiered interest rate system while in residency, with a maximum interest rate of 5%. And, unlike the Graduate Plus loans, it does not have an origination fee. Also, I was wondering if anyone has had success with FAME's Maine Health Professions Loan? And, if there are any shortcomings of that one.

Members don't see this ad.

When is the deadline for accepted students to commit to one medical school? Also how much is the UNECOM deposit?

The deadline is April 30th.

Does anyone know if we should fill out FAFSA for UNE if we are waitlisted?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When is the deadline for accepted students to commit to one medical school? Also how much is the UNECOM deposit?

According to the website the initial deposit is $500 and then a tuition deposit of $1500 is due within 60 days of the initial deposit.

Interviewed 3/3, waitlisted 4/2, accepted 4/16 ; stats: 28mcat, 3.6cgpa -- there is still hope!

Reactions: 4 users
That's great news! Did you do anything in particular to get off the waitlist, like send a letter of intent?

Hi there, yes I did! I wrote a letter describing my experience at the interview and how UNE fit me well- addressed to the dean and admissions committee, and sent to the gradadmissions2 email address. I would not describe it as a letter of intent. It was more like a letter of continued interest. Feel free to PM if you want more details and good luck to you!

Does anyone have any clue as to how much wait list movement we could see after April 30th? I know there are a lot of variables and unknowns, but I was just wondering if it's usually a fair amount or not much at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the wait list ranked? Does anybody know how many people are on the wait list? When can we expect some movement?

From Chris Tripp (UNECOM) : We can tell you the Committee on Admissions does rank the waitlist, and that we have been actively using the waitlist. Sorry we have to be so vague.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance from UNECOM because I am active duty military and I was accepted to Uniformed Services University. I'm a New Englander and I loved this school. I hope my spot helps somebody out on the waitlist. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
It's quiet on here...a little TOO quiet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything new going on here? Anybody coming off the waitlist recently? Or does all movement start after a certain date usually?

Haven't seen any movement on this thread since 4/17. That's not to say there hasn't been more wait list movement though.

Some people have joined the fb group within the last couple weeks that were pulled from the waitlist.

Pulled from the waitlist! Just got the email today. There's still hope!

I had a few PM's asking, so here it is: Interviewed 3/25, waitlisted 4/2, accepted 5/8; stats: 27mcat, 3.6cgpa. I talked to Chris Tripp on Friday and he said there will be a lot of movement between now and July. :)

Just withdrew my acceptance today, good luck to those waiting for good news!

Interviewed 10/14 accepted in November

Anyone know if a very hopeful Idahoan with a 3.65 gpa/3.45 bcpm gpa and a 30 mcat has any chance here? Would be perhaps my very top choice, as I love Maine!

I was pulled off the wait list yesterday! Good luck to all those still waiting, but there is movement!

Last edited:
Accepted! Pulled from the waitlist today. For the OOS candidates, I'm a NY resident with strong ties to New England. There's hope for the out of staters!

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! For those of you who have been pulled off the wait list...were you also invited to osteoblast? I was wait listed 3/3 and wasn't invited to Osteoblast, so I'm wondering if an invite means you're more towards the top of the wait list. Thanks! :)

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! For those of you who have been pulled off the wait list...were you also invited to osteoblast? I was wait listed 3/3 and wasn't invited to Osteoblast, so I'm wondering if an invite means you're more towards the top of the wait list. Thanks! :)

I can't speak for everyone, but I was not invited to Osteoblast. I had thought the same thing, but it wasn't the case for me. I hope good news comes your way soon!

I just got accepted off the waitlist today! Interviewed 3/5, waitlisted 4/1, accepted 5/29. I was not invited to Osteoblast. Quick stats are OOS (NY) 27MCAT, 3.7cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, recent graduate with two degrees (1 BA and 1 BS).

I can't believe it, this is my top school! Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist, there's still hope!

Reactions: 8 users
Did anyone else on the waitlist receive an email today to confirm that they wanted to stay on the waitlist throughout the summer?

I loved UNE with all my heart and was so sad to withdraw. I really hope the spot goes to one of the folks here- and that they take it and run with it!! Good luck to all!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what day of the week the committee meets or if they meet every week, every other week etc?

Can anyone current students comment on what we actually need to buy for first year vs the require books/ equipment list, we just got an email with the list of things. They suggest purchasing a medical kit through the school for $968.44. The list of books is quite lengthy as well.

I'm also an incoming first year, but the second years on the Class of 2019 Facebook page have been giving some advice on this. For books, they've advised against buying anything until you get there, and I think they'll be polling the class to see which ones they actually used. They've advised against buying anything from the bookstore because the prices are highway robbery.

The consensus seems to be to get gloves, a stethoscope, and a blood pressure cuff now and hold off on getting anything else until orientation (they'll be having a scrubs sale then but you can get those now if you want). A lot of that equipment won't be used until mid-end of the school year, and you can get away with sharing it, so it'd be best to wait.

Just got pulled off the waitlist today!! I was waitlisted 3/3, MCAT 28, overall 3.53/sci 3.1, lots of clinical experience as a CNA, I was not invited to Osteoblast. There is still hope :)

Just got pulled off the waitlist today!! I was waitlisted 3/3, MCAT 28, overall 3.53/sci 3.1, lots of clinical experience as a CNA, I was not invited to Osteoblast. There is still hope :)
Congrats! If you dont mind me asking, are you a NE resident?

Yes, I have lived in Massachusetts all my life, aside from when I went to undergrad.

For those of us who are interested in applying in the spring of our junior year, without taking biochem yet and it being the only outstanding class that needs to be completed in terms of pre reqs, how does the ADCOM view this? CGPA & SGPA is 3.5 MCAT being 509...

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I officially withdrew from the class today, so there is a spot up for grabs. Good luck everyone!

Hey everyone I just wanted to let you know that I am a member of the class of 2019 and that there has been a bit of waitlist movement lately. Also if any of you do get accepted off the waitlist don't freak out because there is still housing available. If anyone has any questions just send me a message. Good luck to all of you guys

For those of us who are interested in applying in the spring of our junior year, without taking biochem yet and it being the only outstanding class that needs to be completed in terms of pre reqs, how does the ADCOM view this? CGPA & SGPA is 3.5 MCAT being 509...

It shouldn't be a problem at all. When I applied I didn't even have orgo lab completed and was completing it during the fall semester of senior year. As long as you have the intention of taking it and putting it on your aacomas application when you put in your classes then it should be fine and they will still view it as that you are going to complete it

It shouldn't be a problem at all. When I applied I didn't even have orgo lab completed and was completing it during the fall semester of senior year. As long as you have the intention of taking it and putting it on your aacomas application when you put in your classes then it should be fine and they will still view it as that you are going to complete it

Thanks! I wasn't sure whether or not that was frowned upon. I'm very interested in UNE and just took my MCAT self-studying the biochem section. If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted to the school? I'm also curious to know how the school feel about non-trad students. I'm gonna be applying with 7 years of nursing experience.

Thanks! I wasn't sure whether or not that was frowned upon. I'm very interested in UNE and just took my MCAT self-studying the biochem section. If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted to the school? I'm also curious to know how the school feel about non-trad students. I'm gonna be applying with 7 years of nursing experience.

Yes I was accepted and will be attending starting this August! Also I think the school is very welcoming to non-trad students since I think there are only a handful of students (that i know of) that are coming straight out of undergrad while others have had other life experiences and differences journeys that led them to the school. According to the class of 2019 page, there are many accepted students who had other occupations. have spouses and children and/or doing different things before going back to school. I'm sure you will do great. Best of luck with your MCAT and your applications.

Regarding Biochem: I had not yet taken it as of the time I was accepted. I would definitely note in your application or secondary that you do plan to take it though. I ended up taking it at Harvard University extension (online, although I did go to s lot of their in person stuff) and found it difficult but worth while.

Are any of the waitlisters planning on re-applying? Is there a special process for us, or do we have to do everything from scratch?

I'll be withdrawing first thing tomorrow morning. Congratulations and good luck to whoever gets my spot!

I am booking flights for the UNECOM interview right now. I was told to arrive at 7:45 am. Can anyone comment on how long the interview day is, and what time would be safe to book a flight home? Thanks.