University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said because we interviewed early, we might hear within a couple weeks or so. I'm not too sure how I did on the interview...

I hope we hear in a couple weeks! I'm sure you did fine - but why do you get that impression? Who did you interview with?

Members don't see this ad.

The closest airport is in Portland, and I am staying at the Ramada Inn in Saco because they offer airport shuttle and a shuttle to the school- it is a little more expensive than some other closer ones but I am saving money due to the shuttles. No rental car needed! I would love to rent a car and explore the area, but since I am only 24 a rental car is over $100/day!
I actually found budget rent a car, and if you join usaa, it will waive the underage fee. My bill is only 50 dollars!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II for Oct 2 in the a.m.!!!
complete 9/3 OOS
cGPA 3.53, sGPA 3.1 with extenuating circumstances
first MCAT 7/10/10, second 9/9/10

Same date/time. See you there!

Gah, no Spirit flights to Maine from Texas. Spirit has been great in the past for my interviews. Around $150 for a round trip saved so much money.

I'm currently deciding between Ramada (Free shuttle service) or cheaper hotel with rental car. I prefer the rental for the ability to explore some but in the end it's going to be whatever's cheapest for me.

Hope all of you do great!

Never heard of spirit! I have been using priceline and expedia. Saved a little money but these interviews OOS are def hurting :/

I keep debating whether to e-mail UNECOM for a status update. I would love an interview and I was complete on 8/25. Do you know if they have sent rejections yet?

Can anyone comment on the area in Biddeford? I'm embarrassed to admit that most of what I know about Maine comes from Stephen King novels.

Beautiful location, right on the shore. My favorite area of Maine. Closest large city is Portland which is also on the water and incredibly nice. Boston is about an hour and a half drive away.

Reactions: 2 users
It was a tough decision but I decided to withdraw here. I hope my interview goes to one of you all! Good luck everyone!!

If I were to fly in from Boston..., would anyone know how I would manage to bus my way to UNE? (Getting a rental car is not an option, and flying into boston is cheap) I've been looking at different buses such as "shuttle service" and stuff, but I don't know which is the easiest way. I'm assuming I'll have to bus from boston to portland, and then portland to biddeford? Halppp lmao.

If I were to fly in from Boston..., would anyone know how I would manage to bus my way to UNE? (Getting a rental car is not an option, and flying into boston is cheap) I've been looking at different buses such as "shuttle service" and stuff, but I don't know which is the easiest way. I'm assuming I'll have to bus from boston to portland, and then portland to biddeford? Halppp lmao.

Check out Amtrak. Looks like you can take a $20 train from North Station in Boston to Saco, ME which brings you about 4 miles form UNECOM.

Thanks! I didn't even know trains were an option... (Florida born and raised) And i just looked up prices, this is much cheaper and quicker than the bus headache I was trying to make work.

Thanks! I didn't even know trains were an option... (Florida born and raised) And i just looked up prices, this is much cheaper and quicker than the bus headache I was trying to make work.

Plus, trains are the second best way to travel. The back of a pickup truck is the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview in two days! Excited, but also nervous. Hopefully it goes okay.

Reactions: 3 users
Edit: posted from my pocket...wtf

Last edited:
Take the bus to Portland, cab it to the Saco Ramada and shuttle to the airport. 90 min drive from Boston and the bus is like $20.

I'm a little late to the party 'cause my primary took like seven weeks to process, but I just got an II!
IS, 3.86/3.9/30
I'm from the woods/moose part of the state, so it'll be nice to spend a day on the coast.

hey guys, I submitted my primary late and am trying to get a jump on this secondary. I was just curious, for all 4 questions is it a 2000 character limit with punctuation/spaces? Like 2000 characters each?

Thanks in advance, just trying to cut down my turnaround time as I should be verified within the week

hey guys, I submitted my primary late and am trying to get a jump on this secondary. I was just curious, for all 4 questions is it a 2000 character limit with punctuation/spaces? Like 2000 characters each?

Thanks in advance, just trying to cut down my turnaround time as I should be verified within the week

Yup! 2000 characters per question

Just got an II as well.

October 16th 8:00AM! OOS. Hopefully ill be leaving the west coast where all the sunshine is for some snow!

Does anyone know how that might play out in the interview/acceptance being from California and no regional ties.

My career goals are rural primary care

Just got an II as well.

October 16th 8:00AM! OOS. Hopefully ill be leaving the west coast where all the sunshine is for some snow!

Does anyone know how that might play out in the interview/acceptance being from California and no regional ties.

Can I ask when you submitted your secondary?

Just got an II as well.

I am also interviewing there in that time slot so I'll hope to see you then.

Just got an II as well.

Congrats! Did you get a complete email?

Can anyone share what the complete email says? I sent in my fee by check and am not sure if my application is complete yet.

Can anyone share what the complete email says? I sent in my fee by check and am not sure if my application is complete yet.
I sent in my fee by check too. They sent me an email notifying me that they had received my check several days ago. Today I got this:
We are pleased to have received all of your required letters of recommendation. Your application to the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine is now complete.

Applications are reveiwed for possible interview in the order they are completed. We will notify you once a decision has been made on the outcome of your application review.

I sent in my fee by check too. They sent me an email notifying me that they had received my check several days ago. Today I got this:
We are pleased to have received all of your required letters of recommendation. Your application to the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine is now complete.

Applications are reveiwed for possible interview in the order they are completed. We will notify you once a decision has been made on the outcome of your application review.
Thank you.

Received a II on 9/17. I'll be there October 16th.

I was surprised at this as I was told that UNECOM has a large regional bias.

Just received an II for 10/16. Has anyone asked to be rescheduled? I find myself in the very fortunate situation of having multiple interviews which on top of a busy work schedule has me pretty well booked up into November.

Just received an II for 10/16. Has anyone asked to be rescheduled? I find myself in the very fortunate situation of having multiple interviews which on top of a busy work schedule has me pretty well booked up into November.

I rescheduled from 10/2 to 10/23. I just replied to the II email, and the process was very easy. They got back to me quickly with possible dates.

Yes I called two weeks ago right when I got the email and they were very willing to reschedule. I went from 10/16 to 10/2

interviewed last week...cant wait to hear from this school!

How long does it take to hear back post-interview.

Can anyone comment on the area in Biddeford? I'm embarrassed to admit that most of what I know about Maine comes from Stephen King novels.
I know you withdrew, so this goes out to anyone with the same question.

Biddeford isn't that great. It's not a big town, and there's really only a couple of decent places to go on the weekend. It has all the essentials, plus a few great places to eat. If you're down for the outdoors, you're a short walk from the beach pretty much anywhere, which is nice in the warmer months.

Portland, on the other hand, is awesome. Great night life, great restaurants, a good local art scene, craft brews errywhere. It's one of the best small cities in America- safe, fun, and with a low cost of living. Many second years and the braver first years choose to just live in Portland because it's so awesome.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/...best-cities-lists-and-why-should-anyone-care/

To give you an idea of why Portland is awesome.

I am coming from a small town with not much to do so that doesn't bother me. Is there any other reason besides boredom that makes Biddeford a bad place?

Interviewed today. Awesome campus and even better students. Really relaxed interview and the atmosphere is laid back.

I am coming from a small town with not much to do so that doesn't bother me. Is there any other reason besides boredom that makes Biddeford a bad place?
I like Biddeford, but it just reminds me of some of the old mill towns I lived in back in my home state. There is a good deal of poverty and the things that come along with that in the downtown area, but it isn't really a dangerous place. Not that it really matters- there is zero reason to stay in Biddeford if it's not your type of place. About half of the students I know live in seasonal rentals on or near the beach in adjacent towns, a good number live in Biddeford proper, and a good number live in Portland. The campus is also waaaay far away from downtown Biddeford, so it's kind of like it's own little world.

How lame is it that I almost cried when I got the II today:heckyeah: