University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi... II received today. Complete 10/02. Really impressed at fast interview invite...
OOS (but from east coast), s 3.27, c3.49, MCAT 28

Interview set for 10/22 (really soon agh!)

Congrats! DId they call or email?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone who interviewed here recently who drove to the school receive a separate email with a parking permit? Not sure how this all works. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
My parking permit was attached to the confirmation email.

Complete today! Anyone tell me how full their class is? The class size is roughly 500 right? LOVE LOVE LOVE this school. my father in-law went here 20 years ago. I would LOVE to go here. Fingers crossed for and II and an acceptance!

Complete today! Anyone tell me how full their class is? The class size is roughly 500 right? LOVE LOVE LOVE this school. my father in-law went here 20 years ago. I would LOVE to go here. Fingers crossed for and II and an acceptance!

Not sure how full but their class is ~175, total students is closer to 500.

Not sure how full but their class is ~175, total students is closer to 500.
Ok that makes more sense. Any idea my chances if my secondary was submitted today. Still decently early...Not late at all in the cycle yet. I feel like I still stand a decent chance.

Ok that makes more sense. Any idea my chances if my secondary was submitted today. Still decently early...Not late at all in the cycle yet. I feel like I still stand a decent chance.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as timing goes.

UNECOM sends out interview invites well into March. They interview a small number of candidates each week and have a very, very long cycle. Don't stress it if you haven't received an II yet.

Reactions: 2 users
II Invite today !!! WOOOT WOOOT!!! SO any pointers for the interview? They scheduled my interview for next week on the Thursday, 23rd! Anyone else on that day?

when were you complete? congrats!

I got the complete e-mail today, October 13th at 7:14am, and received the interview invitation October 13th, 1:21Pm. So it was really quick, which i was not expecting at all.

From what I overheard on my interview day. they are planning to interview two hundred more students than last year and hand out around 500 acceptances; 3 for each available seat.

Wait what?

They interviewed less than 400 last year and gave out around 220 acceptances. Are you saying that they are planning to interview close to 600 this year but give out 500 acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait what?

They interviewed less than 400 last year and gave out around 220 acceptances. Are you saying that they are planning to interview close to 600 this year but give out 500 acceptances?
Not 100% sure. The 200 more applicants thing was what I overheard in the morning between admissions staff. The 3 per seat; 500 acceptances bit was something our tour guide and an admissions staff member were talking about in the afternoon.

interviewed 4 weeks ago today. they said 3-4 weeks for a decision, c'mon UNEEEE

Reactions: 4 users
I got the complete e-mail today, October 13th at 7:14am, and received the interview invitation October 13th, 1:21Pm. So it was really quick, which i was not expecting at all.
When did you submit your secondary and payment?

I submitted secondary on Oct 2 and paid 1-3 days after cause it was a weekend i believe.

Is anyone staying at the ramada inn in Saco for the interview tomorrow? Trying to decide what to do with myself to shake the nerves

Does anyone know what the interview format is ? Is it a one on one or a group interview or one with a panel of interviewers. the reason I need to know is so I can sign up for the right practice interview. Thanks!

I'm going crazy waiting for a reply from UNE, so I guess I'll post my interview experience instead.

First, there is a presentation about UNECOM. Lasted about 1 hr.

Then, everyone waits in the cafeteria. You are welcome to free food/drinks. You find out when you are scheduled to interview, so you can go on a campus tour before or after your interview. During my session, I interviewed one-on-one with the dean, but from what I hear other sessions have had 2-3 interviewers including professors and students. For me, the interview itself was really conversational and (relatively) low-stress. Someone posted earlier to have good answers for these three questions and I absolutely agree:

1. Why Medicine?
2. Why DO?
3. Why UNE?

Other than that, questions were mostly about me, my experiences, hobbies, goals, etc. There were no questions where I felt I was being pressured or "tested".

Throughout the day, there were 2 current students who stayed with the interviewees, and they were very helpful.

After you have interviewed and toured, you are free to leave.

Overall, from what I experienced and what I've heard from students, the biggest "plus" for this school is the human environment. Everyone there is very helpful and understands that they're all in this together. It's the exact opposite of the stereotypical cut-throat / passive-aggressiveness that I saw a lot as a pre-Med at a "good name" school.

Anyway, just think a lot about why you're doing this and what you've done to prepare and you'll be fine.

I'm going crazy waiting for a reply from UNE, so I guess I'll post my interview experience instead.

First, there is a presentation about UNECOM. Lasted about 1 hr.

Then, everyone waits in the cafeteria. You are welcome to free food/drinks. You find out when you are scheduled to interview, so you can go on a campus tour before or after your interview. During my session, I interviewed one-on-one with the dean, but from what I hear other sessions have had 2-3 interviewers including professors and students. For me, the interview itself was really conversational and (relatively) low-stress. Someone posted earlier to have good answers for these three questions and I absolutely agree:

1. Why Medicine?
2. Why DO?
3. Why UNE?

Other than that, questions were mostly about me, my experiences, hobbies, goals, etc. There were no questions where I felt I was being pressured or "tested".

Throughout the day, there were 2 current students who stayed with the interviewees, and they were very helpful.

After you have interviewed and toured, you are free to leave.

Overall, from what I experienced and what I've heard from students, the biggest "plus" for this school is the human environment. Everyone there is very helpful and understands that they're all in this together. It's the exact opposite of the stereotypical cut-throat / passive-aggressiveness that I saw a lot as a pre-Med at a "good name" school.

Anyway, just think a lot about why you're doing this and what you've done to prepare and you'll be fine.

When did you interview?

I just interviewed today and can agree with what's been posted here. One thing that really struck me was how friendly the current students were. There were multiple students who weren't even helping with the admissions process who saw us, sat down, and started talking to us. They all seemed really excited for us to be there and for us to attend.

I was 2 weeks ago I wonder if they are processing as a large group for the first couple weeks of interviews since they don't interview that many candidates in a session

I also interviewed two weeks ago and that is what I have been hoping also. I figured it is not a stretch to think that they might render a decision on all of the September interviews at once. Here's to hoping we all hear soon :).

I also interviewed two weeks ago and that is what I have been hoping also. I figured it is not a stretch to think that they might render a decision on all of the September interviews at once. Here's to hoping we all hear soon :).
There are people that interviewed 4 weeks ago, and i was 3 weeks ago. So well know at the end of this week what the deal is!

I called them today asking what's up. The admissions officer said the dean gave him a bunch of decisions (acceptance/rejection letters) but they're having IT problems and can't send them out electronically. They're working to fix it...He said they'll be sending out the letters via snail mail and they *might* try to scan them into email. So it looks like it's gonna be a little while.

I called them today asking what's up. The admissions officer said the dean gave him a bunch of decisions (acceptance/rejection letters) but they're having IT problems and can't send them out electronically. They're working to fix it...He said they'll be sending out the letters via snail mail and they *might* try to scan them into email. So it looks like it's gonna be a little while.

Ooo suspense... Thanks for letting all of us know!

Sounds like they haven't sent them out yet... zzz

I interviewed here last week and since others have answered my questions, I'll pay it forward. PM me specific questions and I'll be glad to answer them.

I WANT TO INTERVIEW (and attend) here SO badly. My father in law attended UNECOM, do you think that will help me out?

Reactions: 1 user
II received this morning! I never received the 'complete' email, but I had a confirmation email sent 8/15. I also just recently sent them an application update email with more shadowing hours, service, and my new job position just to make sure that they looked at my application again. I will be interviewing on 11/11! My wife is from upstate NY, so I'm really excited to have a chance to live out east.

My stats:
27 MCAT
cGPA 3.46
sGPA 3.61

EC's
150+ hours of service in the states, 2 years abroad
150+ hours of research
2 semesters of teaching (TA & tutor)
2 years of work in a clinical setting
3 years of leadership positions
60+ hours of shadowing

Let me know if you guys think I have a decent chance.

II received this morning! I never received the 'complete' email, but I had a confirmation email sent 8/15. I also just recently sent them an application update email with more shadowing hours, service, and my new job position just to make sure that they looked at my application again. I will be interviewing on 11/11! My wife is from upstate NY, so I'm really excited to have a chance to live out east.

My stats:
27 MCAT
cGPA 3.46
sGPA 3.61

EC's
150+ hours of service in the states, 2 years abroad
150+ hours of research
2 semesters of teaching (TA & tutor)
2 years of work in a clinical setting
3 years of leadership positions
60+ hours of shadowing

Let me know if you guys think I have a decent chance.

Congrats! Now it's all up to your interview, not so much the numbers, good luck!

I WANT TO INTERVIEW (and attend) here SO badly. My father in law attended UNECOM, do you think that will help me out?

This should help, but if you have already included this information in your application, I'd just say to send an update to them. Mark some shadowing hours with a doctor and include that as well. I really believe that's why I received my invite, is because they had to look back at my application to insert that additional information.

II also received today! complete last week.

I found this on the UNECOM website.

"Last year, we received more than 3,600 applications. More than 3,300 supplemental applications were offered to qualified candidates. Less than 400 applicants were interviewed last year, with nearly 220 acceptances offered to fill the class of 124 students students."

I have seen this as well, and I don't think that has been updated for a few years because the current class size is 175....

This should help, but if you have already included this information in your application, I'd just say to send an update to them. Mark some shadowing hours with a doctor and include that as well. I really believe that's why I received my invite, is because they had to look back at my application to insert that additional information.
did you send your update to someone specific or just to admissions? Did you email it?

question about rescheduling the interview:
I hear that they will give you a list of other possible interview dates to choose from...is it possible to push the date back by more than 2 weeks? Will having a late interview hurt my chances of getting accepted?

question about rescheduling the interview:
I hear that they will give you a list of other possible interview dates to choose from...is it possible to push the date back by more than 2 weeks? Will having a late interview hurt my chances of getting accepted?

Since admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis, a later interview date can only hurt your chances. That being said, I don't think it will make too much of a difference if you push it back a few weeks.

And I would contact the admissions office about the other question.

Just sent in and paid for my secondary yesterday. CT resident hoping for an ii once I'm complete, which I heard can take a while. Unfortunately I have a less than stellar MCAT but retake on Tuesday! Good luck those waiting to hear on acceptances!!

All my fellow September interviewees: I just spoke with admissions and they expect to send out decisions via email either tomorrow or Monday! Hoping for good news for us all :)

Reactions: 4 users
All my fellow September interviewees: I just spoke with admissions and they expect to send out decisions via email either tomorrow or Monday! Hoping for good news for us all :)
For all of september?!?

For all of september?!?
Oh I'm not sure, sorry! He just said they were sending out decisions tomorrow! But he mentioned it typically takes 2-3 weeks for decisions so I'd assume for most of September?

Reactions: 1 users
It would be really awesome if it was for all of September!:)

Oh I'm not sure, sorry! He just said they were sending out decisions tomorrow! But he mentioned it typically takes 2-3 weeks for decisions so I'd assume for most of September?
Ahhh ok thanks! So excited to finally hear